Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out running.

• 14-03-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Hi all, really glad I found this forum as I have already hit a 'wall' with my running.
    I started out around the middle of January not being able to run for more than 1minute without having to stop. I enrolled in a 5k in 5 weeks programme and that helped immensely but I still cant run 5k without having to stop every few minutes. The longest I can run for is about 13/14 minutes and I stop. I think at this stage is psychological as my breathing is generally ok. I just get the urge to stop so I do.

Are there any guides or something out there that I can look at and teach myself how to keep going when I feel like stopping. I try so hard to push myself(telling myself 30more seconds etc) but although I really want to, I just cant keep myself going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I am not at all an expert but some of the recent threads encouraged newer posters so here goes...
    I would recommend going along to a parkrun! I started somewhat similarly 3 years ago, running for maybe 20 mins before I'd have to stop. Went along to a parkrun, yes I needed to stop (or thought I did, definitely a psychological thing for me too), but eventually after a few weeks of going (and a couple of runs midweek), I got through the full 5k in one go. The reason I suggest a parkrun is I found the people around me often kept me going, not to mention the prospect of beating my previous time. People don't even have to be vocally encouraging, its the fact there are others around you that can spur you to keep going... 
    parkrun.ie is the site just in case you haven't heard of them... I always assume everyone has at this point but often not!
    And good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thank you for the reply! I have just signed up to park run and will go along to one on Saturday morning and see how it goes.ive never heard about it before! I can do 5k in 34mins a mix of running and walking. While not interested in timing just yet it might give me the boost I need. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Go slower, as slow as you need to go to run your 5k or whatever your target is without stopping.

Then do it slightly faster......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi and welcome!

I think the Park run idea is a great one if there is one near by.

Otherwise maybe start googling and find a 5km race to train for. I don’t know your fitness levels but when I started out it took a bit longer than 5 weeks for me to run 5km non stop. There’s nothing wrong with walk breaks though and each week you could push yourself that bit further - 15 mins and then a walk break and 16 mins the next week maybe? Do you listen to music? I don’t but on very long runs I listen to the radio and I find that distracts me more than music does.

Lastly - maybe slow down. If you go really slow, so slow that you could have a chat and not be too breathless, you might be happier to keep going for longer. Pace will pick up naturally then as you get fitter and doing things like Park run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to the go slower comment, slow down, jog along nice & easy and don't look at your watch (so you won't know when you get to 14/15 min) keep going, if you do feel like you want to stop just keep going. Once you've done it once and you realise you can do it you'll break the mental block.

parkrun is amazing, you'll love it and be hooked in no time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

+1 to the go slower comment, slow down, jog along nice & easy and don't look at your watch (so you won't know when you get to 14/15 min) keep going, if you do feel like you want to stop just keep going. Once you've done it once and you realise you can do it you'll break the mental block.

parkrun is amazing, you'll love it and be hooked in no time :)

This. 
    And slow down. The rest is up for debate.

Thank you all. I have tried to slow down a bit but its feels very un natural and a bit uncomfortable to half walk/run. Im not that fast to start with! Going to take it all on board and will hopefully get out tomorrow evening to try put it into practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

its feels very un natural and a bit uncomfortable to half walk/run.

Hmmm... but that's power-walking, no? it seems to have some take-up, walking is an olympic sport too, wouldn't discount it out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Well done on all your progress.... I'm fairly new to running too. When I was getting into it. I had completed a couch to 5k using an app on my phone and then did a 'improver' programme. This set distances to run and in built breaks and as the programme progressed the breaks got shorter. I found this helped me as I wasnt as intimidated heading out on a run thinking I had to keep running - maybe you could time or measure the length of time you stop on your runs and gradually over time reduce the length or distance of these breaks? That was youre running for longer and longer and gaining that sense of achievement over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Thank you all. I have tried to slow down a bit but its feels very un natural and a bit uncomfortable to half walk/run. Im not that fast to start with! Going to take it all on board and will hopefully get out tomorrow evening to try put it into practice!

Yep it will feel completely weird, but if you read enough around here, you will find a lot that says the secret to getting faster is to run slower for longer. Its what builds your aerobic fitness and mitochondria.

The thing to remember tho is it will take time to see any change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

I’m fairly new to running too, only started around November. There was no better motivation for me than just signing up to a 5k race and just going for it :) if you sign up to one in maybe 4-6 weeks time you’ll feel really motivated to get out there right away and start training but (hopefully) it won’t be so close that you feel pressured about it.

Thank you all , I got out yesterday and ran 5k in 37minutes with a total of four minutes walking so was happy enough. I was trying to be conscious of my pace and slow it down as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Greenfin

I’d echo what someone said above. I started back in July and I was running as far as I could and then stopping but not really making any progress until I got the c25k app on my phone. That’s when the progress really kicked in and I was able to skip weeks and do it in about 5 weeks as I already had some running done. Then once I started in parkrun my times really improved . Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hi all, really glad I found this forum as I have already hit a 'wall' with my running.
    I started out around the middle of January not being able to run for more than 1minute without having to stop. I enrolled in a 5k in 5 weeks programme and that helped immensely but I still cant run 5k without having to stop every few minutes. The longest I can run for is about 13/14 minutes and I stop. I think at this stage is psychological as my breathing is generally ok. I just get the urge to stop so I do.

Are there any guides or something out there that I can look at and teach myself how to keep going when I feel like stopping. I try so hard to push myself(telling myself 30more seconds etc) but although I really want to, I just cant keep myself going.

Do you use a phone to monitor your pace? Maybe you start a bit too fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Phoebas wrote: »
    Go slower, as slow as you need to go to run your 5k or whatever your target is without stopping.

Then do it slightly faster......

I agree with this, if you feel the urge to stop slow down to a pace you can hold for the full 5km . once you are able to run the full 5km you will get faster

Advertisement