Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan to income exception

Options
  • 14-03-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I’m single self employed 31 y/o male earning circa 40k a year with 50k deposit. I’m interested in a property that is 290k but I think I can only get a mortgage for 140k plus my deposit which comes to 190k. I’ve been reading about loan to income exception, how does this normally work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

nails1 wrote: »
    I’m single self employed 31 y/o male earning circa 40k a year with 50k deposit. I’m interested in a property that is 290k but I think I can only get a mortgage for 140k plus my deposit which comes to 190k. I’ve been reading about loan to income exception, how does this normally work?

I don't think it is realistic for you at all. Exceptions are usually to 4 times income . You're looking for 6. Also exceptions wouldn't be given to self employed. Typically reserved for more stable work such as civil servants doctors with guaranteed jobs and income increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

bleary wrote: »
    I don't think it is realistic for you at all. Exceptions are usually to 4 times income . You're looking for 6. Also exceptions wouldn't be given to self employed. Typically reserved for more stable work such as civil servants doctors with guaranteed jobs and income increases.

It’s a three bedroom house and I plan on renting two of the rooms out. I will also be getting 100k in 3 years when my folks take retirement and sell up. Would these factors help at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

nails1 wrote: »
    It’s a three bedroom house and I plan on renting two of the rooms out. I will also be getting 100k in 3 years when my folks take retirement and sell up. Would these factors help at all?

probably not mate, they don't take lodgers as a long term income source as much as you'd like to, it'll help a bit but not much.

for self employed people it seems that you may aswell use 3x even instead of 3.5x income as nobody seems to want to even honour the full rate.

No all those things are hypothetical as far as the bank is concerned. unfortunately for you . With the 100k you would just be in budget. Continue to save, increase your income or look for something in budget.

Forgot the last option . Find a partner to share the mortgage with.
    She moves in and now you don't want to rent a room out
    Your parents hate her ,so decide to spend the 100k on a tesla or two and now you cant afford the mortgage anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

bleary wrote: »
    Forgot the last option . Find a partner to share the mortgage with.
    She moves in and now you don't want to rent a room out
    Your parents hate her ,so decide to spend the 100k on a tesla or two and now you cant afford the mortgage anymore

Looks like I’ll be signing back onto Pof then :)

Advertisement