Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration with RTB

Options
  • 14-03-2018 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all,

Our rented property was sold to a new owner last year and a new property management company took over. We received a letter today from the RTB saying we have been registered with them.

The question I have is, on the letter it states our tennency commencement date was sept 2016. However I first moved into this property back in sept 2011.

Is it in my interest to correct the RTB of this? I was reading the leaflet that we received from the RTB and the notice period our landlords would have to give (if they wanted to end our tenancy) is 168 days. However as they’ve incorrectly logged us as 2016, it’s reduced to 42 days.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Tenancies with the RTB need to be re-registered every 4 years. 2016 would be right if your tenancy was first registered in 2011. Once you have your initial lease this is proof enough for serving notice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beauty101 wrote: »
    Tenancies with the RTB need to be re-registered every 4 years. 2016 would be right if your tenancy was first registered in 2011. Once you have your initial lease this is proof enough for serving notice etc

2016-2011=5, not 4

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

From doing further research both sides have a plus and negative - if i update them to 2011 that means they can increase my rent higher and do a review anytime they want. I live in a RPZ and my rent hasn't gone up since I first moved in back in 2011. However, I get a massively increased notice period if they want us out.

However, if I don't update them they can only increase our rent by a tiny amount, but we would only need around 30 ish days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Lumen wrote: »
    2016-2011=5, not 4

My point was if the tenancy was registered in 2011 the initial registration was 2011 to 2015 and it would have been re-registered in 2016.

Did you have a new lease drawn up when the owner changed? New landlord effectively makes the old lease null and void

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

beauty101 wrote: »
    New landlord effectively makes the old lease null and void

No, it doesn't. The tenancy will still be deemed to have commenced under the original landlord and passed by assignment/operation of law to the new landlord. Having a new lease is the same as signing up to a new one with an existing landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement