Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of building going on

Options
  • 14-03-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

i was walking home today and there seemed to be a lot of construction going on in town.

theres the block beside crane lane facing onto south mall, the new maldron facing onto parnell place, UCC business school in the old TSB building on parnell place, navigation square by the sextant, the corner building opposite the oliver plunkett bar, the old tax office, the event centre (lol).

then you see whats been given the "green light" or being planned.
    the victoria hotel on patrick st, a hotel going where the LV was on MacCurtain st, hotel going in where the old mahers shop was on parnell place, boardwalk on morrisons island, offices in the old brooks building at the end of south terrace/copley street, white street car park being redone, removing walls & railing around bishop lucey park, crawford revamp, horns quay development.

interesting times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

What Cork needs is more skyscrapers and condos to attract new investments and residents: the city centre is perfect for that. Relocate the port further downstream and convert the tip of the city-centre to a nice park area. If you compare maps Cork looks like Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh got everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Thats what they are trying to do, however the "poor mites" down stream are objecting,,,,,,,,again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

New pedestrian bridge from Merchant's Quay to St. Patrick's Quay starting soon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jlayay wrote: »
    What Cork needs is more skyscrapers and condos to attract new investments and residents: the city centre is perfect for that. Relocate the port further downstream and convert the tip of the city-centre to a nice park area. If you compare maps Cork looks like Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh got everything right.

That's more or less what is being proposed. Unfortunately the objectors and NIMBYs are out in force objecting to everything and anything. We have people objecting to the skyscraper at the port of Cork site. Others objecting to the M28 and the port of Cork relocation to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on the M28, the protestors have been told where to go (I'm not taking sides here).
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's more or less what is being proposed. Unfortunately the objectors and NIMBYs are out in force objecting to everything and anything. We have people objecting to the skyscraper at the port of Cork site. Others objecting to the M28 and the port of Cork relocation to Ringaskiddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Big Eejit wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on the M28, the protestors have been told where to go (I'm not taking sides here).

Unfortunately not. The final decision by ABP following the oral hearing hasn't even been made yet. Due in April. Assuming permission is granted almost guaranteed there will be further appeals through the courts system i.e. judicial reviews etc.

Advertisement