Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS Verification

Options
  • 15-03-2018 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

SO I discovered recently that my email was being accessed without me knowing it. I switched to sms verification while logging in. I read somewhere that this is also not the safest method. Some sites recommend an authentication app. I'm not sure how practical this is since you will need a different app for each gmail and hotmail and you will probably need internet access for it to work?
    Do you have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You don't need a different app for each account (unless the developers have been lazy sh*tes). Most two-factor authentication systems support the TOTP algorithm, which can be used by most authentication apps. For example, I have the Google Authenticator app set up for Google, Microsoft (including Hotmail), Dropbox, GitHub, Amazon, Facebook, and Reddit.

And you don't need internet access. The algorithm works on a combination of a shared key (which you assign when you first set up an account), and the current time. So long as your phone has a reasonably accurate clock (and it can pull this from the mobile network its connected to), it can generate the correct one-time code

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement