Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Ring

Options
  • 15-03-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey all, Long post alert!

I got engaged in December 2015, we choose a beautiful ring from a popular jewelers in Belfast.
    Fast forward to February 16, the band cracked as i sat down on my sofa one evening. I had it repaired in March, and at my friends wedding in April, the band snapped as again, while I was opening a bottle of water at the meal.

Back to Belfast that week, they told me they would replace the ring. It was the end of June before it was ready, with a supposedly thicker band (there's no difference in it).

I get it checked any time I'm up (every 6 months or so), for fear of something happening to it again.

I was last up in October 17, as a claw was bent, and catching in things. The jeweler told me it wasn't. I waited a while and went back and spoke to another member of staff, who agreed that it was catching, and repaired it in a few hours. I noticed a diamond missing 4 weeks ago, and rang them, they said they would have to have a look at it.

The 1st time I spoke to the jeweler, he more or less accused me of breaking it in order to choose a new style. Which given the choice, i wouldn't do anyway, as i love that style. The second time I spoke with him, i noticed the new replacement ring wasn't symmetrical, and he told me it was in my head. (other jewelers have confirmed that its not symmetrical, and none of the claws are the same). The last time I spoke to him (October) there was a claw bent and getting stuck in clothes. He said it wasn't and that it was fine. I took it back and left it with another member of staff and came back 3hrs later to the ring fixed and re-dipped.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with the ring.
    For a piece of jewelry that's meant to last a lifetime, it's already been repaired/replaced 4 times. I adore my ring, the style, the setting, everything. It's my dream ring. I have an office job. I have a dishwasher. It goes back into it's box at night. I wear it with care. But I can't keep sending it back to get fixed every few months. I shouldn't have to.

The ring spends more time in the box than on my hand, as I'm afraid to wear it.

Any jewelers out there that could give me some advice? I feel like just getting it fixed, flogging it an buying a new one elsewhere.

Friends have rings purchased in New York, in Dubai, in Australia, and none of them have ever had to have any repairs carried out, and there all engaged a lot longer than me. Is the ring fit for purpose?

Getting married in 6 months, and freaking out that something is going to go wrong with the ring again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you sure it’s still the original diamond, it’s passed through a lot of hands check that first before going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepintheback

Hey! From what you have said, the ring is not of merchantable quality as set out by The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980!
    Get in contact with the CCPC (consumer and vompetition protection commission) or CAI (consumer association Ireland) for some advice on your consumer rights in this situation. They may also investigate the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d.m.g

Are you sure it’s still the original diamond, it’s passed through a lot of hands check that first before going any further.

It was only ever repaired with the original jeweler we purchased with, It would be terribly shady if they were to do something like that - how would I even go about checking this?

@sheepintheback - I'm on it, thanks a mill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Get in contact with the CCPC (consumer and vompetition protection commission) or CAI (consumer association Ireland) for some advice on your consumer rights in this situation. They may also investigate the problem!

Given that the ring was bought in the North then it's a case of going to the UK equivalent and not the ones based in Dublin as it's outside their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepintheback

No bother! Hope you get sorted as this is just unfair! Im sure the ring was costly so its your right to get a quality ring for the amount you paid for it.

Just make sure you keep all receipts and contact between you and the jeweler!

Also, best of luck with the wedding!! Wish you and your fianceé well ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

d.m.g wrote: »
    It was only ever repaired with the original jeweler we purchased with, It would be terribly shady if they were to do something like that - how would I even go about checking this?

@sheepintheback - I'm on it, thanks a mill. :)

You should have a cert for it when you bought it? Or if you can remember the markings on the diamond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

I would definitely try for your money back by following the not fit for sale route proposed by a poster above. The ring sounds dreadful quality. My engagement ring cost €4,000 - a lot less than friends of mine so I’m going with saying it’s not incredibly expensive. I’ve never taken it off in two years. I’ve painted, moved furniture, washed dishes, chipped tiles off walls, fed calves and done numerois other thing with it and it’s pristine. It sounds like you are taking such good care of yours and it is still falling apart. It’s just not good enough. The aim is to have and wear it forever. Good luck getting it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You should have a cert for it when you bought it? Or if you can remember the markings on the diamond.

Diamonds are laser inscribed with a report number which is also on your diamonds certificate. If you get your ring cleaned etc the jeweller will show you the report number under a microscope, which you cross check with your certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Rackstar wrote:
    Diamonds are laser inscribed with a report number which is also on your diamonds certificate. If you get your ring cleaned etc the jeweller will show you the report number under a microscope, which you cross check with your certificate.

Not all diamonds have the serial number on the girdle. Some come with a chart showing inclusions and it would be near impossible to find another diamond (say of lower colour or cut quality) with the exact same inclusions.

It is extremely unlikely your jeweller has swapped your diamond, and somewhat insulting to imply they have.

Focus on getting satisfaction on the quality of the ring. Possibly you could ask for a remount, maybe made up slightly heavier than before. Additional metal will likely incur some cost though.

Advertisement