Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itinerant children attending school

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

He's full of bs, maybe he is fishing for his next movie. Cos this never happened, such bul****.....

Had a great night Paddy's day in Madison Square Garden watching the Mick Conlon. However an incident I witnessed that night keeps playing on my mind.

I was in a line of people waiting at the bar just to get a bottle of water, the tempature in the place was off the charts. Anyway, my ears were peeled back and I could hear this African American man cheering on a fighter as he stood about ten feet back from. A very drunken Irish man I think from Galway, joined the line behind him and start singing "Ole Ole Ole". The African American man heard his accent and asked him "Are you from Ireland"? To which the drunken Irish man replied "Obviously" The man said "Oh i'm Irish" the drunk laughed "Ye right" the man said "Well my grandfather was from Ireland and I have his name, McCarthy" the drunken fool replied "Would ye go and **** off mate you're black, you're not Irish" the man replied "So you can't be black and Irish?" The drunk said "No" and laughed. I stepped in and said "Have you ever heard of Phil Lynnott? He's black and Irish and there was a ****ing statue erected of him in Dublin city. I bet your happy to claim Muhammed Ali and Barack Obama? Even Mike Tyson has Irish in him" he stood in complete shock and put his hands on my shoulders amd said "Oh no way, you're the pie ball from Love/Hate! Can I get a selfie with you?" I took his hands off me and replied "Get your hands off me and if you take your camera out i'll make you eat it" he laughed. "I'm not joking" I said. He turned back around facing the bar innfear.

I asked Mr Mcarthy what was he having and he said an orange juice and pretzels. I got them because I was at the top of the line. We had a little chat and I explained that my grandmother is McCarthy and that it is a great high king name. I also explained about Travellers and that this drunk **** does not represent us all.

The reality is that although there was alot of mixing and intermarriage between African Americans and Irish in America it has to be said that the Irish did commit some horrible attocities against the African Americans. They were both at the bottom of the barrel and pitted against each other by the ruling classes. When the Irish got on in American soceity into politics, the police force etc they played their part in oppressing and brutalisng the African American population. Not all. Some. Some believed in equality for all ofcourse. There is a great book called "When the Irish became white" that goes into great detail about this subject.

This drunken irish man did us no favours but the proud Mr McCarthy was not turned off Irish people or Ireland. He said it was his dream to go back to Ireland, a dream his father talked about till his death.

Edit:from his fb post.

Im all on for young travellers getting an education at the very least because lets be honest, its probably their one way ticket out of palookaville. However, integration has long being an issue and probably the biggest challenge. It needs a complete buy in from parents not just on the traveller side but on the settled side. Can settled and travelling kids even be educated together really? Its probably been done but it is still a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Noveight wrote: »
    In my experience traveler kids attend school here in Ireland until they’ve their Junior Cert done. Even then their attendance was quite poor, maybe missing 2 days out of 5. They had no interest in furthering themselves with education nor benefitting from it, it was rather an obligation.
    Do you generalise much?
    I know someone who met his wife in college. She's a traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Children in ireland are not required to attend school.
    They're required to get an education.

Two different things.

Traveller children attend when they want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Children in ireland are not required to attend school.
    They're required to get an education.

Two different things.

Traveller children attend when they want

interesting take on this - so I presume every (settled) child is required to get an education because the state care for their welfare? (is that the reason?)

but traveller children are not required to get an education???? - so the state dont care for their welfare ? - if so at what line does the state not intervene in other traveller child welfare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

interesting take on this - so I presume every (settled) child is required to get an education because the state care for their welfare? (is that the reason?)

but traveller children are not required to get an education???? - so the state dont care for their welfare ? - if so at what line does the state not intervene in other traveller child welfare?

I
    think I get what you mean!

Maybe not. reminds me of the old saying, " One man may lead a horse to water, a dozen cannot make him drink.. " the water being education It is there if they seek or will take it

Some of this reminds me of my mothers day, before world war 2. Girls were not valued in the same way as boys so took jobs rather than careers. She was working in a cotton mill when she was 14.

Then they introduced night school and she increased her skills and education there, really wanting it .

She got heavily criticised by older family members for not making me go out to work at 14. My brother was fine but not girls

With travellers there are strong cultural reasons

Graces7 wrote: »

With travellers there are strong cultural reasons

With Travellers, there's excuses. Culture is just the excuse given to allow their parents/grandparents to mismanage the future of their children.

It's past time for the negative aspects of traveller "culture" to be banned, and for them to be forcibly encouraged to join a modern Ireland. No problem with them keeping and promoting a unique culture, but ffs, lets move on from the dark ages.

I do teen/adult literacy classes for the traveller community in my area. It's not a lack of intelligence or a lack of interest that holds them back (some of them are very intelligent, and just need someone to be patient and explain from multiple angles). It's not even the lack of opportunity. It's their families dragging them away from education and preventing them from becoming something 'better'.

I have students (in their early 20s) who are ostracized by the community here because they got regular jobs, and are working hard on improving themselves doing speech classes, literacy or computer classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's past time for the negative aspects of traveller "culture" to be banned, and for them to be forcibly encouraged to join a modern Ireland. No problem with them keeping and promoting a unique culture, but ffs, lets move on from the dark ages.

What specific things would you ban, though, and how successful would it be. Usually banning something simply has the effect of making it more attractive. Especially when there's no penalty which someone who says "feck it, doing it anyway" fears.

eg we could raise the minimum age for marriage to 20. But they'd just keep going up north or overseas if the north changed the rules. We could refuse to pay child-benefit to parents under 20 - but that just punishes the kids. We could make it illegal to live in a caravan - but there's not a surplus of houses or landlords willing to rent to Travellers. We could ban children changing schools during the year - but that just punishes the kids again. Etc.

Every single development study I've ever heard of has found that to influence a culture is a long-term effort, and that educating women is the key to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"but I still never got to the crux of how itinerant children attended school in Ireland but never went to school in the UK"

Maybe they are poor swimmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if (and maybe its just a scaremonger hearsay and not real because I have heard the threats but never heard of it being put into action mind ye) but apparently the word on the streets that if a (settled) parent keeps their child off school for no good enough reason , or their child does not attend school or has bad attendance rate at school - then (apparently) the school will come down like a ton of bricks , send letters , send someone around the house to see the parents, get the law involve and will not leave you alone until they get a good enough reason why that child is not attending school (or getting an education as someone pointed out earlier)

however - different attitude to itinerant children is it? ...

• Advertisement

What specific things would you ban, though, and how successful would it be. Usually banning something simply has the effect of making it more attractive. Especially when there's no penalty which someone who says "feck it, doing it anyway" fears.

Well, I'm of the mind that if they want the benefits of Irish citizenship then they should conform to the core requirements of certain areas like minimum education (leaving certificate). Should they refuse education for themselves or their children, then cut away all welfare payments.

Money is the way to reach them.
    eg we could raise the minimum age for marriage to 20. But they'd just keep going up north or overseas if the north changed the rules. We could refuse to pay child-benefit to parents under 20 - but that just punishes the kids.

Does it punish the kids? How much of the welfare provided actually reaches the children anyway?
    We could make it illegal to live in a caravan - but there's not a surplus of houses or landlords willing to rent to Travellers. We could ban children changing schools during the year - but that just punishes the kids again. Etc.

I've no issue with them living in a caravan. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. There is a rather large traveller community where I'm from. I grew up around them, and went to school with them.

However, I do expect them to settle long enough for their children to gain an education, and to find proper work. Plenty of traveller families are able to settle for a few years before heading off again.

Lets be clear here. Everything can be interpreted to be punishment of the children, because any enforcement will have the adults punishing the kids, in response to the pressure. And Honestly, Traveller culture in itself is punishment to the children in so many ways.
    Every single development study I've ever heard of has found that to influence a culture is a long-term effort, and that educating women is the key to it.

Which is an excuse to push it into the future. These research initiatives are too sympathetic to the culture believing its something worth preserving. I don't. When I was growing up, Irish culture centered around the bars and traditional music. Great. Now? Irish culture has evolved away from bars and has embraced a more international feel.

The only times I've seen travellers stop the ****ty lifestyle, and embrace the opportunities given to them, was when they weren't given any leeway.

Advertisement