Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Crank and Gear Set?

Options
  • 15-03-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

50 year old weekend road bike warrior (not) here. My spins are typically a combination of a Sandyford -> Bray -> Greystones -> Kilcoole -> Enniskerry -> Sandyford or Sandyford -> Coast Road - > Clontarf -> Round Howth -> Malahide -> Clontarf -> Sandyford.

I also do the odd lumpy (for me) spin up Glencree area or longer (max 100km) spin down to Wicklow town.

When I got my bike 3 years ago it came with a 50x39X30T triple crankset and a 12-28 cassette which has served me well and provides me with a wide range of gears, particularly for the steeper climbs where the odd time I do make full use of the 30T - 28T combination :-(

If I need to replace either the chainrings or cassette in a forthcoming service (they've been slipping on gear changes recently) should I stick to the same setup given the use I make of the bike or is there a better set up I should try out? I know the cassette I have (SHIMANO Tiagra CS-4600 10-speed cassette) also comes as a 12-30 which would widen the range a little more or would that just be overkill?

The other thing I should have mentioned is that I busted a knee a few years a go and ended up with surgery etc so I tend to prefer or aim for higher cadence rather than slow power.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If your gears are slipping it might be your chain worn too much, and possibly the cassette as well. If they’ve not been replaced since you got it, I’d go for a new chain first. If the gearing you have already gets you up the hills then why change?
    I have a compact with a 32 on the back which gets my heavy old ass up any hill I need it to, albeit quite slowly, but you’d need to check that your derailleur can handle a larger cassette before you buy a new one - if you do change from what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

No equipment advice! I'm just impressed that you push on to Malahide after doing a loop of Howth. Chapeau.

Out of curiosity, what route do you take from Kilcoole to Enniskerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Aegir wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what route do you take from Kilcoole to Enniskerry?

Depends, sometimes I go back the way I came i.e. Greystones -> Bray and then cut across the N11 to Kilcroney Cross and then into Enniskerry on the R117 but sometimes (if I don't fancy the climb out of Greystones) I'll head back via Delgany Golf Club and up the N11 which isn't so nice and a bit of a cheat really :o

CapnHex wrote: »
    No equipment advice! I'm just impressed that you push on to Malahide after doing a loop of Howth. Chapeau.

Ah sure it's all downhill from the Summit :D

Despite the traffic I actually like the Sutton -> Portmarnock -> Malahide segment, it can really fill your lungs with refreshing sea air and there are some great views!! After a coffee stop in Malahide I typically just head straight back through Baldoyle -> Clontarf and home.

I don't like the N11 / Rock Road segment at all, it's too busy traffic wise and even along Sandymount the the road is crap in places so I tend to only do this spin infrequently just to mix things up a bit and have a nosey around the north side :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I usually follow the Dodder from town to Clonskeagh, then up past the Goat and on up to Sandyford. Or sometimes in the summer, Sandymount Blackrock Newtownpark Ave Leopardstown Rd. N11 rarely features for me.

CapnHex wrote: »
    I usually follow the Dodder from town to Clonskeagh, then up past the Goat and on up to Sandyford. Or sometimes in the summer, Sandymount Blackrock Newtownpark Ave Leopardstown Rd. N11 rarely features for me.

I must try the Goatstown option, never thought of it.

I too use the Sandymount to Newtownpark Ave route. I don't particularly like Sandymount due to the traffic and poor quality road and I hate the sort piece of the Rock Rd up by the Texaco garage.

Kind of first world problems though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If I need to replace either the chainrings or cassette in a forthcoming service (they've been slipping on gear changes recently) should I stick to the same setup given the use I make of the bike or is there a better set up I should try out? I know the cassette I have (SHIMANO Tiagra CS-4600 10-speed cassette) also comes as a 12-30 which would widen the range a little more or would that just be overkill?

The other thing I should have mentioned is that I busted a knee a few years a go and ended up with surgery etc so I tend to prefer or aim for higher cadence rather than slow power.

Cheers.

You'll need a new cassette and chain together (the worn chain wears the other components, and after a certain point, a new chain will skip on an old cassette), and you may also need one or two chainring if things are actually skipping now.

For future drivetrain management, buy a cheap chain-wear indicator tool, and then you can replace the chain before it wears enough to take the cassette with it.

If you have a triple, you have a long-arm rear derailleur, so you can fit a 12-30t cassette, rather than another 28, but bear in mind that some of the middle sprockets/ratios will be further apart, and that may take a bit of getting used to.

Kudos on the riding, though - I'm a year younger and I don't get out often enough (envious!).

Type 17 wrote: »
    If you have a triple, you have a long-arm rear derailleur, so you can fit a 12-30t cassette, rather than another 28, but bear in mind that some of the middle sprockets/ratios will be further apart, and that may take a bit of getting used to.

Yes, I do have a derailleur which looks longer than most so switching to a 12-30 is exactly what I'll do if I need to change the cassette. I only recently figured out that the best way to get up long and/or steep hills is to calm down and just keep the legs spinning at a nice cadence without putting too much strain on the legs so having a 30-30 option will only improve things. It's rare I every have to spend any sort of extended time in 30-28 but it's good to know it's there if I need it and will be even better to know 30-30 is there should I end up having to climb a wall some day :P

Advertisement