Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange or use ATM

• 15-03-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi guys, this has probably been asked before but couldn't find a thread on it..

I'm heading on holiday to America next month for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to check if there's better value in using one of the currency exchange shops/banks/post office to change Euro to Dollar before i go, or is it better to use an ATM in America & just take out money as I need it over there? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

We preloaded our credit card for hotels / carhire etc and had cash with us from the credit union, and then also used ATM's when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Get a Revolut card and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

By far the cheapest option

Though there is a monthly limit on ATM withdrawals before fees kick in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Most US ATMS charge $3 or so, identifying ones which do not is one thing. Also understand the commission on your credit and debit cards, these may vary a bit. Checking if your debit cards can do cashback in shops is another option to get cash without the ATM fee. When I was there lately my cards wouldn't do cashback, although my Laser card would 15 years ago!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

+1

Order ASAP so you have it on time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement