Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting trees after 1st March

Options
  • 15-03-2018 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Just curious, I have about 4 leyllandi I need to fell right beside a road. Only getting round to it now, trees are dangerous. Am I allowed to cut now? or do the potential birdies (if present) take priority?

Also, if the trees fall on the road and cause an injury/fatality, am I liable??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think there's a general exception for gardening practices; your trees probably don't qualify as hedges. however, better informed people than i would know.

regarding your second question - if you fell a tree onto a road and cause an injury, of *course* you'd be liable. that's why tree surgeons need public liability insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Thanks. I meant if the tree blew down onto the road because I wasn't allowed cut it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From Teagasc website
    Felling of trees - exempted trees
    Trees outside a forest – within 10 metres of a public road and which, in the opinion of the owner (being an opinion formed on reasonable grounds), is dangerous to persons using the public road on account of its age or condition.
    Normally, felling any tree needs a felling licence. Certain trees are exempt and any tree within 10 metres of a road is one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You are liable for any damage your trees cause.

Leylandii are not part of a hedgerow in anyones mind.

Actual laws on tree feeling and licence requirements including exempted trees here :

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/treefelling/treefelling/

• Advertisement
Advertisement