Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing energy suppliers

Options
  • 15-03-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm considering changing to Bord Gais as they are set up for Tesco vouchers (rates are slightly less than what I'm paying now)
    Do I need to cancel my Electricty Ireland accounts or do Bord Gais do this for you when you register?
    I want it as simple as possible as I have no time to be chasing up energy suppliers and call centers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The old accounts will be closed when you give the MRPN/GPRN and reading to the new supplier; assuming you aren't in a fixed contract

The old supplier may call you to offer you whatever deal they have or possibly even something not public - be prepared for that as it may sound cheaper and not be (or could legitimately be cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

All you need to do is contact new supplier with your mprn and bank details. They will look after everything else. Are you in contract with current supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

We are out of contract with our current supplier. Thanks for the answers!

We are out of contract with our current supplier. Thanks for the answers!

Im currently in the middle of a switch from bord gais to energia I switch every year it can take about 2-4 weeks to complete.

Also make sure you take meter read before you switch, for a more accurate Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Got my renewal from quote from SSE last month. Advised going online to benefit for customer loyalty bonus. Online offered 10%, so I rang them to see if they would do better, 15% offered. I declined and signed up as a new customer with a different supplier. One day later the texts and emails start arriving, now offering 23% and €135 cashback. If they had done this in the first place I wouldn’t have changed. I know I can opt out of new contract up to 14 days, but I am not going to for two reasons. One is I am happy with new contract and the second is to make these suppliers think twice about not offering existing customers a better loyalty offer in the first instance.

First change in years but I suspect (God willing I am still around) the first of many in years to come. Pity, because I liked SSE, what they stand on renewables and who they sponsor.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Got my renewal from quote from SSE last month. Advised going online to benefit for customer loyalty bonus. Online offered 10%, so I rang them to see if they would do better, 15% offered. I declined and signed up as a new customer with a different supplier. One day later the texts and emails start arriving, now offering 23% and €135 cashback. If they had done this in the first place I wouldn’t have changed. I know I can opt out of new contract up to 14 days, but I am not going to for two reasons. One is I am happy with new contract and the second is to make these suppliers think twice about not offering existing customers a better loyalty offer in the first instance.

First change in years but I suspect (God willing I am still around) the first of many in years to come. Pity, because I liked SSE, what they stand on renewables and who they sponsor.

Get ready to change next year, Bord Gais wouldn't match the price for a new customer to keep me no problem just switched. There must be a lot of people that don't bother to switch at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

don't just go by the discount % - check the actual rate including vat you will by paying after discount, also check what standing charge is applied.

One of airtricity's sales ploys is to show you the vat inclusive rate of competitors and then highlight their vat exclusive rate - they don't say anything, they just trick you into looking at what seems a big difference

CeilingFly wrote: »
    don't just go by the discount % - check the actual rate including vat you will by paying after discount, also check what standing charge is applied.

One of airtricity's sales ploys is to show you the vat inclusive rate of competitors and then highlight their vat exclusive rate - they don't say anything, they just trick you into looking at what seems a big difference

I was on 20% discount. The full SSE rate is 18.76c a unit. I was on 15.c and the best I was offered was 15.95c (15%). The SSE ‘reminder’ was a bit misleading as they quoted my current spend and my projected new spend,but this was at full rate. They then offered the customer loyalty bonus of 10% . They have now offered 14.45c and €135 cashback.

I am now changing to Energia at 14.04c and a €50 cash-back. Oddly enough if I used switcher the rate is lower at 13.25c but no cashback. Dealing direct with Energia is (marginally) better.

The Energia standing charge is marginally cheaper by €1.78 pa. (158.05 vs 159.83)

The dog in the woodpile is that PSO charge for keeping the bog burning peat stations open

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The dog in the woodpile is that PSO charge for keeping the bog burning peat stations open

3.5x more of it goes to subsidise 'renewables' of a wide variety (albeit nearly entirely wind) than goes to peat.

Got my first bill from Energia today. Very pleased. Meter was read by ESB networks last week, so I assume this will be my dates (approx) going forward. I was used to SSE bills so a ltttle bit different ie the full rate (ex vat) is the rate used and then the discount applied. Probably clearer when you take time to study it. Rate ex vat is 17.42 (19.77) and with discount is 12.37 (14.04). They also applied the €50 sign up bonus. The litmus teat is March next year, when I renew (or not), but happy to have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you end up renewing with Energia next year, give their loyalty team a call and tell them you are looking at a better rate with another supplier (use bonkers.ie). Energia normally give you close up the "new customer" rate. It might suit you not to move.

Previously they were giving the same rates and cash back on renewals as new customers but they appear to have stopped that. I was able to get 1-2% less than the new customer rate but no cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got a great rate each year on renewal with energia until last year when they were way off the mark, even sarcastic on phone. So I switched and then the calls started from the loyalty team. Too late.....

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got a great rate each year on renewal with energia until last year when they were way off the mark, even sarcastic on phone. So I switched and then the calls started from the loyalty team. Too late.....

Same with me, only it was SSE who were too late with their texts, emails and phone calls.

Got my first bill from Energia €45 after cash back. I pay €65 a month rather do it this way find it easy user to manage. One thing I will say about Energia they let you know when your contract is up. St least they did last time I was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,280 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'm considering changing to Bord Gais as they are set up for Tesco vouchers (rates are slightly less than what I'm paying now)
    Do I need to cancel my Electricty Ireland accounts or do Bord Gais do this for you when you register?
    I want it as simple as possible as I have no time to be chasing up energy suppliers and call centers.
    Tesco vouchers are not best value with BG.
    Input your details into www.confido.ie, tick the switching bonus orange box and it'll tell you the best deal.
    It is easy to switch online.
    Based on the info you give, go to BG as they give you €175 cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

go to bonkers.ie

easiest way to change. they compare your existing deal with the others on the market and you can change there and then on their site.

when i change i always give the last reading on my bill (unless i suspect its an inflated estimate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

How does it ensure you get a zero bill? Switching can take up to 4 weeks after you initiate the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Switched to Energia as rates competitive, but will likely go to another provider at renewal or price increase. Only realised after that they don't allow you set up a standing order, and they keep electricity and gas accounts separate, so if you do make a prepayment, you have to nominate one acc. Doesn't suit the way I liked to manage my accounts.

• Advertisement

Only with Energia a few weeks so bit early yet to be think of next year but this doesn’t bode well

€50 termination fee
    29% first year electricity discount, 0% thereafter
    €50 cash back

What is your issue? It's not clear from your post.

Nearly all providers charge an early termination fee. Also any discount typically ends after 12 months unless your contracted for longer. E.g 18 months.
    Is it that you got 50 euro cash back? ;)
    Only with Energia a few weeks so bit early yet to be think of next year but this doesn’t bode well

€50 termination fee
    29% first year electricity discount, 0% thereafter
    €50 cash back

I have no issue, merely stating that if Energia don't offer a discount I won’t be renewing.

Yes I got the €50 cash back and yes I know that every supplier has a termination clause. I was merely cutting and pasting the terms as supplied on a switcher website.

Advertisement