Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Air bnb

Options
  • 15-03-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I have used air bnb for the first time this year to rent a house in France for a family holiday, my mum kindly paid for it. We have booked it for the 4th August so 142 days away. Unfortunately over the past week a family member with a small baby has been diagnose with serious cancer and there is no way we will be going....we also need now to raise funds.

Being the stupid person that I am I never checked the cancellation policy. It states that we are only entitled to a 50% refund...the house was €1400 so we would get a refund of €700. I thought this was very unfair considering the notice period we have given (over 4 months). I was looking a EU law and this seems to also be against consumer right but before I explore that option I want to be sure.

Anyone have any advice or help or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The cancellation policy is very clear when you are booking on Airbnb, based on my personal experience. You accepted that policy when you made the booking.

I know the booking is far away, but it’s also peak holiday season and the owner wants to know that it’s rented and full.

I recommend you try to contact the property owner and explain the circumstances and see if they will relax the cancellation policy for you. You don’t have any legal basis to argue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

I did and I even try to say that I would wait and see if we could move the dates....they said no.....

I also asked that could we be refunded if they rented the house again for the same dates....answer no...

I also asked could I rent the house to someone else....answer no....

Now I am so pissed off that I told them I was going to wait until the last possible minute to cancel....that way they can't rent it again but still don't get full payment because if we cancel 7 days before hand its still the same 50% back.....

Maybe I am just upset at the moment but it seems so unreasonable....maybe I'm too soft on people in my line of work

We only booked the house 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For what it's worth, I do think they are being a bit unreasonable. At this stage they should be well able to rent the place again (you would think).

However, nothing changes the fact that they are entitled to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Check with airbnb, there are certain circumstances where they can override the cancellation policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoidable-circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The policy part where Air bnb may override the hosts cancellation policy is the death or serious illness of an immediate family member. Spouse/partner, parent, child, grandparent or legal guardian. If your situation falls under these terms you may have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Do you have travel insurance? Can you make a claim under your policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

Thanks guys I think ill appeal it but I don't think I stand a chance with insurance because it would be my mothers (who paid) daughter in law. I thought common decency might prevail because of the length of time....I wouldn't even be querying it if it was a month before or even if it was in May because its so close to the summer.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

mozzy wrote:
    Thanks guys I think ill appeal it but I don't think I stand a chance with insurance because it would be my mothers (who paid) daughter in law. I thought common decency might prevail because of the length of time....I wouldn't even be querying it if it was a month before or even if it was in May because its so close to the summer.

By your post I wish you luck, but going by the relationship of the child to you I think you are going to have to settle for the 50%. Sorry to say this but it's a business and they set their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

call them. I had an Airbnb apartment booked in Paris last year for a week and I did not have any of the Airbnb cancellation options and had to cancel due to a death in family. Airbnb over phone will brilliant and refunded me 50% immediately and the remaining 50% a few weeks later when I provided some official documentation on the death. I was really surprised as they did not have to do anything as declined all the additional cancellation options on original booking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement