Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest temperature sensor

Options
  • 16-03-2018 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

Just launched

does this mean that one nest thermostat could be used with 3 of these to cover 3 zones (upstairs, living, bedrooms)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks good, my understanding is fir a house like mine with a single zone I can tell it that during the day I want the downstairs thermostat to be used and in the night use the one in the bedroom as the reference

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, it is pretty limited compared to smart TRV's

For instance say you want downstairs at 22c, but then when you go upstairs you might find it way too hot.

I suppose it is better then nothing, but it seems WAY overpriced for what it is, Nest really need to launch TRV's

Also the integration between Nest devices seems poor. Ecobees version of these also act as motion sensors, if these Nest could do that then they could also work together with the Nest security system and Nest Protects.

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, it is pretty limited compared to smart TRV's

For instance say you want downstairs at 22c, but then when you go upstairs you might find it way too hot.

I suppose it is better then nothing, but it seems WAY overpriced for what it is, Nest really need to launch TRV's

Also the integration between Nest devices seems poor. Ecobees version of these also act as motion sensors, if these Nest could do that then they could also work together with the Nest security system and Nest Protects.

It’s less than the price of a TRV, and free to fit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »

Sure, of course, but also far less useful. A TRV will actually let you control the heat in individual rooms, not just blast overheat or underheat different rooms.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have this, it is a useful addition, but they also badly need TRV's. Tado, Netatmo, Evohome look like far more complete systems having them.

Also €50 for a simple temp sensor! That is crazily overpriced. SmartThings motion/multi-sensors also do temp (and motion/tilt) for just €18 and Xiaomi ones are less then €10.

BTW if you have smart things, I think you can already pass the temp of other rooms to Nest to do this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sure, of course, but also far less useful. A TRV will actually let you control the heat in individual rooms, not just blast overheat or underheat different rooms.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have this, it is a useful addition, but they also badly need TRV's. Tado, Netatmo, Evohome look like far more complete systems having them.

Also €50 for a simple temp sensor! That is crazily overpriced. SmartThings motion/multi-sensors also do temp (and motion/tilt) for just €18 and Xiaomi ones are less then €10.

BTW if you have smart things, I think you can already pass the temp of other rooms to Nest to do this already.

I actually think I'll be adding these.. Some rooms in the house do get colder and be nice to have them the lowest common denominator for the temp.. Don't really want to have the main stat in a bedroom..

• Advertisement

Tbh smartthings looks like a hobbyist item and no where near as polished

TRVs require. Plumbing , costly installs , different standards in pipe size etc

Not really scalable, look how poorly the Evo home sells compared to NEST

Also what percentage of the worlds heating systems use radiators. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

But its not a trv!!

I see a limited use for it at the moment, until a partner trv is released to work with it

Well only if your rads don't already have TRV's, if they do, it is pretty easy swap and for only about €10 per room more then this!

Note any home built in the last 10 to 15 years will have TRV's.

Tado and Netatmo sell extremely well in Europe and they both have them.

Pretty much the whole of Northern Europe, plus most of the US too, at least the Northern states!

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the concept, just two complaints:

1) They really should have Smart TRV's as an option, to really have a proper ecosystem. For a supposedly premium product, they are really falling behind the likes of Tado, at least in heating IMO.

2) Too damn expensive for what they are. 25 to 30 would be more reasonable. It is just a thermometer and radio!

Well only if your rads don't already have TRV's, if they do, it is pretty easy swap and for only about €10 per room more then this!

Note any home built in the last 10 to 15 years will have TRV's.

Tado and Netatmo sell extremely well in Europe and they both have them.

Pretty much the whole of Northern Europe, plus most of the US too, at least the Northern states!

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the concept, just two complaints:

1) They really should have Smart TRV's as an option, to really have a proper ecosystem. For a supposedly premium product, they are really falling behind the likes of Tado, at least in heating IMO.

2) Too damn expensive for what they are. 25 to 30 would be more reasonable. It is just a thermometer and radio!

The Apple homepod is about 4 times the price of Amazon echo. Both are the same but Apple can charge a premium, NEST is very polished and has better brand recognition so can charge a premium than Tado etc

The Apple homepod is about 4 times the price of Amazon echo. Both are the same but Apple can charge a premium, NEST is very polished and has better brand recognition so can charge a premium than Tado etc

The home pod is selling horribly from what has been reported. Bad example!

Tado is actually pretty premium too and far more versatile. I really don't see anything particularly better about the Nest thermostat then Tado that justifies the premium price and lack of basic functionality.

BTW I've a netatmo and my neighbor has a Nest. He now says he regrets getting it. He finds the smart learning useless and basically it isn't doing anything that my Netatmo can't do, but cost 3 times the price.

At a higher level I think Google needs to change direction with Nest. They are in a fierce war with Amazon and at the moment they are losing.

Google Home is much better, but Alexa is everywhere and Amazon's retail chain/advertising is crushing. Amazon will no longer sell Google/Nest products and now Amazon has bought Blink and Ring.

Amazon is out for blood and it isn't looking good for Google/Nest IMO. Trying to keep Nest premium isn't going to work for Google against this sort of competition. I think Google knows this and saw it with the success of the €35 Google Home mini over Christmas.

This is why Google is bringing Nest back directly under Google.

They need to get rid of the premium/expensive image and bring down prices in line with their competitors and push them into a much wider retail channels if they hope to compete with Amazon.

As an aside Google also badly needs to come up with an affordable Android TV competitor to the Fire TV sticks.

• Advertisement

The home pod is selling horribly from what has been reported. Bad example!

Tado is actually pretty premium too and far more versatile. I really don't see anything particularly better about the Nest thermostat then Tado that justifies the premium price and lack of basic functionality.  

BTW I've a netatmo and my neighbor has a Nest. He now says he regrets getting it. He finds the smart learning useless and basically it isn't doing anything that my Netatmo can't do, but cost 3 times the price.

At a higher level I think Google needs to change direction with Nest. They are in a fierce war with Amazon and at the moment they are losing.

Google Home is much better, but Alexa is everywhere and Amazon's retail chain/advertising is crushing. Amazon will no longer sell Google/Nest products and now Amazon has bought Blink and Ring.

Amazon is out for blood and it isn't looking good for Google/Nest IMO. Trying to keep Nest premium isn't going to work for Google against this sort of competition. I think Google knows this and saw it with the success of the €35 Google Home mini over Christmas.

This is why Google is bringing Nest back directly under Google.

They need to get rid of the premium/expensive image and bring down prices in line with their competitors and push them into a much wider retail channels if they hope to compete with Amazon.

As an aside Google also badly needs to come up with an affordable Android TV competitor to the Fire TV sticks.
    Chromecast?

I would agree re their pixel phone pricing - they are as expensive as iphones.. which is ok.. its a funny one.. you see it a lot with brands.. like with cars.. people expect more for less with a non premium brand.. but when a brand becomes more premium and starts to become more expensive people don't want to pay the prices..
    re nest - I only have mine since last week.. I paid for it as part of a plumbing upgrade so probably worked out at 150 or so installed.. don't have an opinion on the smart learning but the app if nice and easy to use.. I think it works well enough in a house like hours.. 2 zones - one for hot water one for rads, with manual trvs on the rads..

Chromecast

It is good, but not really a competitor to the Fire tv, etc. IMO

It works well for a single person, but not really suited to a multi person family.

Nvidia Shield TV is awesome, but too expensive for non gamers. Xiaomi do make a cheap Android TV but not really easily available in Eu/US.

I think Google need to make an offical $50 Android TV pixel box and sell it via it's own site, etc.

As for Nest, don't get me wrong, it works very well. But having also used Netatmo and Tado, they also work equally well and their apps and Google Home integration are just as good. The only thing particularly premium about Nest is the nice metal face and screen which are very nice. Nicer then my Netatmo. But what you quickly find is that I almost never touch the physical controls. Mostly just schedule plus boost via google home voice.

At the price you paid Nest is a great option. My neighbours complaint was that he paid at the time €350 and got pretty much the same experience as I did for €100.

As for the premium thing, I think it doesn't really make sense as part of Google. It isn't very Google like, they are more of a type of company who goes for market share over premium. They dominate search, advertising and Android in terms of market share. They have tried to get a bit more premium with the most recent pixel phones and they are fantastic devices but they don't really seem to be getting much success with it.

I think Google realise that the whole home automation, AI thing will be a market share battle, and they will increasingly target Nest more in that direction.

It is good, but not really a competitor to the Fire tv, etc. IMO

It works well for a single person, but not really suited to a multi person family.

Nvidia Shield TV is awesome, but too expensive for non gamers. Xiaomi do make a cheap Android TV but not really easily available in Eu/US.

I think Google need to make an offical $50 Android TV pixel box and sell it via it's own site, etc.

As for Nest, don't get me wrong, it works very well. But having also used Netatmo and Tado, they also work equally well and their apps and Google Home integration are just as good. The only thing particularly premium about Nest is the nice metal face and screen which are very nice. Nicer then my Netatmo. But what you quickly find is that I almost never touch the physical controls. Mostly just schedule plus boost via google home voice.

At the price you paid Nest is a great option. My neighbours complaint was that he paid at the time €350 and got pretty much the same experience as I did for €100.

As for the premium thing, I think it doesn't really make sense as part of Google. It isn't very Google like, they are more of a type of company who goes for market share over premium. They dominate search, advertising and Android in terms of market share. They have tried to get a bit more premium with the most recent pixel phones and they are fantastic devices but they don't really seem to be getting much success with it.

I think Google realise that the whole home automation, AI thing will be a market share battle, and they will increasingly target Nest more in that direction.

Agree at 350 nest is expensive. Electric Ireland will supply and fit for anyone for 130. That's a really good deal if it suits your heating setup

Agree at 350 nest is expensive. Electric Ireland will supply and fit for anyone for 130. That's a really good deal if it suits your heating setup

Absolutely at 130 it is a great deal and not what I'd call a premium price.

€350 was back before these deals came out. Also our place is relatively a new build so it doesn't fall under those energy grants that some of the deals require.

Not many people pay full price for NEST.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Our nest is on the landing so being the hotter place it sometimes cuts off the heat early.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Just got the sensors dleivered through address pal. problem is the thermostat needs an update which hasnt been pushed yet so I cant use them. Anyone have a workaround besides flashing the firmware?

Just got the sensors dleivered through address pal. problem is the thermostat needs an update which hasnt been pushed yet so I cant use them. Anyone have a workaround besides flashing the firmware?

Mine are on the way to. Hmm that's a pity re firmware. Can you normally update the firmware via the nest stat itself?

Mine are on the way to. Hmm that's a pity re firmware. Can you normally update the firmware via the nest stat itself?

Update history looks same in Ireland and US?

Update history looks same in Ireland and US?

I did get a nest app update to support temp sensors a few weeks ago..

• Advertisement

How much did they work out at and did you buy direct from nest?

How are they powered?

OU812 wrote: »
    How much did they work out at and did you buy direct from nest?

How are they powered?

They are powered by batteries.. I bought a pack of three, worked out around 89 euro.. Address pal 15..hopefully no customs.. I didn't get customs charge for my nest hello doorbell

They are powered by batteries.. I bought a pack of three, worked out around 89 euro.. Address pal 15..hopefully no customs.. I didn't get customs charge for my nest hello doorbell

And off to nest I go. ðŸ˜

OU812 wrote: »
    And off to nest I go. ðŸ˜

Well maybe hold on a week or so to see if I can get working

Hi Mick, I did the same as you via address pal. no customs at all.

My thermostats havent updated yet. still on the 5.6

I contacted Nest and they said -

The latest updated version was the 5.8-8 from the 10th of April. You can find the update history of the Nest Thermostat in the article below.

https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-software-update-history?from-chooser=true

Regarding the Nest Temperature Sensor, it is not compatible with the European model of the Nest Thermostat. It is only available in North America. We can't guarantee that the Nest Temperature Sensor will work with the European model.

https://nest.com/ie/support/article/In-which-countries-are-Nest-Products-available?from-chooser=true#northamerica

Team Nest Ireland

to which i wrote

thanks, but the update is not showing on my thermostats

has it been rolled out in ireland?

mine havent updated since january.

also, when you say its not compatible, do you mean suppported or physically it wont work?

And they replied

The Nest Temperature is not compatible with the European model of the Nest Thermostat. We can't guarantee that it will work with your Nest, as it is not compatible with the IE/EU model of the Nest.

The Nest Thermostat should automatically update to the latest version. Bear in mind that not every device will update to the latest version at the same time, as we always roll our updates gradually. If you are having issues updating your Nest Thermostat, please give us a call when you are at home so one of our tech agents can further assist you with this query.

+353 76 888 9571
    Our phone lines are available 08:00‑19:00, and Saturday to Sunday – 09:00‑17:00

Thank you for your continued patience and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Team Nest Ireland

Long story short, no idea if they will work. just waiting for the update and will try again.

More from them this morning.

The Nest Temperature Sensor is only available on our US and Canadian websites. On all our European websites, we do not advertise the Nest Temperature Sensor.

https://nest.com/ie/

We understand your frustration, but we can't guarantee that the unit will work with your Nest Thermostat, even after it updates. The unit only supports the North American model of the Nest Thermostat which only works with North American HVAC systems.

Thank you for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience.

Team Nest Ireland

More from them this morning.

The Nest Temperature Sensor is only available on our US and Canadian websites. On all our European websites, we do not advertise the Nest Temperature Sensor.

https://nest.com/ie/

We understand your frustration, but we can't guarantee that the unit will work with your Nest Thermostat, even after it updates. The unit only supports the North American model of the Nest Thermostat which only works with North American HVAC systems.

Thank you for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience.

Team Nest Ireland

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I got the same sort of responses re nest hello but I just have had it installed and it's up and running fine. I think we night need to hold on till the firmware rolls out.. Can you check from the app the version?

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I got the same sort of responses re nest hello but I just have had it installed and it's up and running fine. I think we night need to hold on till the firmware rolls out.. Can you check from the app the version?

Version 5.6 here to

im on 5.6 too. will just have to hang tight for now.

• Advertisement

im on 5.6 too. will just have to hang tight for now.

With any hope it's going to be summer soon so we won't have much use for them :)

Advertisement