Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest temperature sensor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭micks_address

john4321 wrote: »
    I'm assuming the update will mean they will now work?

I would guess so as it was suppose to be included in the 5.8.8 code and this is an update to the 5.8.8 code.
    Thanks I'll be checking tonight and will post back with feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Let me know if it works, looking to pick them up if it does.
    Thanks

goose06 wrote: »
    Thanks
    No joy. When I try to add via the app it says my thermostat needs a firmware update. If it's connected to WiFi should happen soon etc.. Maybe the nest app needs to update? Painful
    Thanks,
    Mick

Thanks
    No joy. When I try to add via the app it says my thermostat needs a firmware update. If it's connected to WiFi should happen soon etc.. Maybe the nest app needs to update? Painful
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Weird stuff happening my nest devices. I can't seem to open the nest app on home WiFi on my phone or tablet. If I switch to mobile data I can open the app but it says my thermostat is offline. Rebooted the stat from the device but still says it's offline within the app. Nest hello and camera still working fine via app

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Weird stuff happening my nest devices. I can't seem to open the nest app on home WiFi on my phone or tablet. If I switch to mobile data I can open the app but it says my thermostat is offline. Rebooted the stat from the device but still says it's offline within the app. Nest hello and camera still working fine via app
    Stat back online had to reboot Google routers after being away..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

No problems connecting. My stat was updated yesterday at 05:43

OU812 wrote: »
    No problems connecting. My stat was updated yesterday at 05:43
    Doing some googling.. This article from may seems to suggest sensor won't ever be supported in Europe

https://www.the-ambient.com/news/uk-launch-date-2019-nest-secure-614

Well that's bloody annoying, starting to look more likely that I'll have to go down the smart trv route at this rate
    Doing some googling.. This article from may seems to suggest sensor won't ever be supported in Europe

https://www.the-ambient.com/news/uk-launch-date-2019-nest-secure-614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Bollox anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Well that's bloody annoying, starting to look more likely that I'll have to go down the smart trv route at this rate

One benefit of the smart trv is being able to use IFTTT to set a trigger so for example the temperature in the room drops below 16 degrees then set the nest thermostat to 19 to turn on the heating.

• Advertisement

Yes I was using the Sen.se Mother to do this but they've gone bust so service is no longer available.
    There doesn't seem to be any standalone TRV that are getting good reviews, the tado ones seem to work but I don't fancy the outlay in getting them up and running as I already have 2 Nests. Maybe in the long run I'm better off moving away from Nest.
    One benefit of the smart trv is being able to use IFTTT to set a trigger so for example the temperature in the room drops below 16 degrees then set the nest thermostat to 19 to turn on the heating.

Yes I was using the Sen.se Mother to do this but they've gone bust so service is no longer available.
    There doesn't seem to be any standalone TRV that are getting good reviews, the tado ones seem to work but I don't fancy the outlay in getting them up and running as I already have 2 Nests. Maybe in the long run I'm better off moving away from Nest.

Yeah I agree there is a big outlay for Tado they do work great though. I started off with a starter kit which included 2 trv's https://www.amazon.co.uk/tado%C2%B0-Smart-Radiator-Thermostat-Starter/dp/B01M8NB3B2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532010655&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tado%2Bstarter%2Bkit%2Bv3&th=1 and then picked up a few more on sale.

How noisy are they?
    Yeah I agree there is a big outlay for Tado they do work great though. I started off with a starter kit which included 2 trv's https://www.amazon.co.uk/tado%C2%B0-Smart-Radiator-Thermostat-Starter/dp/B01M8NB3B2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532010655&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tado%2Bstarter%2Bkit%2Bv3&th=1 and then picked up a few more on sale.

How noisy are they?

They are very quiet takes around 3-4 seconds to open or close the valves you just hear a small whir if you listen closely.

My nests updated to 5.8.2

Sensors don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thunder2k

Hi lads, any joy with the sensors? I was thinking to pick them up but thank god I googled before and found this. My stat is Software 5.8.2-1 Updated on Jul 17, 2018 4:41 PM.

Anyone with the same firmware manage to install them?

Thanks

Bye

Valerio

thunder2k wrote: »
    Hi lads, any joy with the sensors? I was thinking to pick them up but thank god I googled before and found this. My stat is Software 5.8.2-1 Updated on Jul 17, 2018 4:41 PM.

Anyone with the same firmware manage to install them?

Thanks

Bye

Valerio
    No joy - the firmware is same on my stat but when I try to add via the app as a new product is says 'a firmware update is required before you can use this product, if it connected to wifi it should happen soon'

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thunder2k

Sad news :( But you just saved me 50 quids! Thanks for the prompt reply, if you get any luck please keep us posted as I really need one of them.

Thanks!

thunder2k wrote: »
    Sad news :( But you just saved me 50 quids! Thanks for the prompt reply, if you get any luck please keep us posted as I really need one of them.

Thanks!
    Hi folks,
    Has anyone come across a different solution to the temp sensors? I've seen thermopeanut but seems like company gone out of business. Kinda sorry didn't go with Tado with its smart trvs. I've seen energie trvs that supposed to work with nest but not great reviews..
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Review of the Nest temperature sensor here, seems like people aren't very happy with it:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/17820594/nest-thermostat-remote-temperature-sensors-review-price-specs

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Review of the Nest temperature sensor here, seems like people aren't very happy with it:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/17820594/nest-thermostat-remote-temperature-sensors-review-price-specs

For the price and what I want it to do it's fine. I don't need humidity or air quality monitoring. At this stage I just want them to work :) I'm about to repurpose the batteries in them at this point.

For the price and what I want it to do it's fine. I don't need humidity or air quality monitoring. At this stage I just want them to work :) I'm about to repurpose the batteries in them at this point.
    Yes I've three of them.. Thinking I'll see if any of my US colleagues want them as loosing comfidence they will ever work here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it is very overpriced for what it is. $50 for just a temperature sensor! There is about $4 worth of components in it. I've got Xiamoi and Samsung motion sensors that also include temperature and cost like $8 retail.

I know Nest stuff is generally premium priced, but I do think it is a bit much and agree with the article. It should either have a lot more sensors (presence, humidity, etc.) for $50 or just charge $20 for what it is.

I think it is very overpriced for what it is. $50 for just a temperature sensor! There is about $4 worth of components in it. I've got Xiamoi and Samsung motion sensors that also include temperature and cost like $8 retail.

I know Nest stuff is generally premium priced, but I do think it is a bit much and agree with the article. It should either have a lot more sensors (presence, humidity, etc.) for $50 or just charge $20 for what it is.
    Has anyone got a 3rd party sensor to work with nest? We have one colder room downstairs where I'd like to call for heat to nest once the temp drops below a certain temp. I guess I coukd take the nest from the wall and plug it in in the room. I have a stand for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Can one nest be paired with another as a “slave”?

I wouldn’t mind the cost of putting in an “E” model into the downstairs to feed the main one upstairs if it was just a case of plugging it in with no wiring required.

I wouldn’t mind the cost of putting in an “E” model into the downstairs to feed the main one upstairs if it was just a case of plugging it in with no wiring required.
    Good question. I'd consider that two. I think I've read it's one nest per heat link so may be a non runner

Good question. I'd consider that two. I think I've read it's one nest per heat link so may be a non runner
    Does anyone know if I remove the stat from the wall mount and go mobile is there a cover to go over the wall connector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has anyone got a 3rd party sensor to work with nest? We have one colder room downstairs where I'd like to call for heat to nest once the temp drops below a certain temp. I guess I coukd take the nest from the wall and plug it in in the room. I have a stand for it
    There’s a3rd party one in their site. Go to the works with Nest section and it’s one of the last ones

ted1 wrote: »
    There’s a3rd party one in their site. Go to the works with Nest section and it’s one of the last ones
    The thermopeanut? Think company that made it gone out of business

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    The thermopeanut? Think company that made it gone out of business
    I think this might work...

https://flair.co/products/puck

Advertisement