Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deeds of the House...Where best to store them?

• 16-03-2018 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Not sure if this would be the right area in boards to post this but just
    wondering where the best place to store the deeds of the house when we get
    them this year. House finally paid off....Phew..1
    I don't think the house is a secure enough place but what do other people do?
    Is it possible to have the bank hold on to them, though bet there,s a charge..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭cml387

Banks are reluctant to hold deeds any more. We bought a fireproof safe and stored them under the stairs.:)

And BTW doesn't it feel nice to have the house paid off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Thanks for that. I was thinking along the same lines. My parents had a big steel safe.....!

Yeah, its like the rope is gone....lol..no more debt
    cml387 wrote: »
    Banks are reluctant to hold deeds any more. We bought a fireproof safe and stored them under the stairs.:)

And BTW doesn't it feel nice to have the house paid off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was of the impression that a solicitor normally holds on to them, along with wills and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi Folks

Not sure if this would be the right area in boards to post this but just
    wondering where the best place to store the deeds of the house when we get
    them this year. House finally paid off....Phew..1
    I don't think the house is a secure enough place but what do other people do?
    Is it possible to have the bank hold on to them, though bet there,s a charge..?

Is it registered title (Land Registry) or a Registry of Deeds case. In the former, the proof is the entry in the register and your piece of paper is not that important. If the latter then you have a bundle of documents heading back maybe a hundred years or longer and while they can be recreated, it would slow a sale. You can pay to have it changed to registered title (ie Land Registry) and that might be a good idea as you then don’t have to worry about safeguarding the pieces of paper!

Advertisement