Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about Walsh Park?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote: »
    Ahhhh here we go....

So how many GAA stadiums do rugby and soccer can you tell me?

could we be the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ahhhh here we go....

So how many GAA stadiums do rugby and soccer can you tell me?

could we be the first?

Would require a rule change and considering we can't even manage to get the GAA to agree to home games at the moment, then the chances of this are about 0. In fact i would say less than 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Off top of my head in recent years, Aviva, Croke park, Pairc ui Caoimh.... There is 3 for you.... Trend would suggest this is likely to be the case more and more in future.

I'm sure where there is a will there is a way. A rugby World Cup bid down the line and we have a modern 15-20k stadium here. Wouldn't it be ideal?

Similarly if the blues were going well in 2-3 years time and got into Europe (touch wood - again) managed to get a plum draw like Celtic or Rangers or equiv the RSC wouldnt be adequate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Because this is Ireland and nobody will ever be able to adequately plan everything that you are asking for, for two championship games per year.

Even if they could, it would be so wasteful and unnecessary because we have all that in the city.

It's odd how 'planning' can solve all the problems with Carriganore and none of the problems with Walsh Park.

Would require a rule change and considering we can't even manage to get the GAA to agree to home games at the moment, then the chances of this are about 0. In fact i would say less than 0.

would the possibility of significant funding towards a new stadium speed up the possibility of a change in rules?

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    Because this is Ireland and nobody will ever be able to adequately plan everything that you are asking for, for two championship games per year.

Even if they could, it would be so wasteful and unnecessary because we have all that in the city.

It's odd how 'planning' can solve all the problems with Carriganore and none of the problems with Walsh Park.

Walsh Park is tight, no doubt about but they've managed to plan a 15,000/16,000 stadium without much fuss. The only hold up is parking (which would still be an issue on the ring road).

The guy before was talking about shuttle buses to stadium and setting up food/drink stalls. Its madness.

Walsh Park is tight, no doubt about but they've managed to plan a 15,000/16,000 stadium without much fuss. The only hold up is parking (which would still be an issue on the ring road).

The guy before was talking about shuttle buses to stadium and setting up food/drink stalls. Its madness.

i think my idea of moving the houses is still the best idea

would the possibility of significant funding towards a new stadium speed up the possibility of a change in rules?

No, look at the funding that PUC got or Croke Park. The only reason games were held at CP was because the aviva was being redeveloped, included a lot of money and also a vote at Congress! PUC was used because of the charity event, can't see it happening again for a long while.

Better idea than Carriganore!

There is merit in what your saying. With an income from championship games and a long term plan, they could look at buying up some of the properties to allow for further development. That's a long complicated way away though.

There is merit in what your saying. With an income from championship games and a long term plan, they could look at buying up some of the properties to allow for further development. That's a long complicated way away though.

ah bit of sarcasm there, apologies, walsh park has come to the end of its useful life in my opinion, society has changed dramatically since its creation, for many reasons, is doesnt make any sense anymore, i feel, we re just putting lipstick on a pig.

• Advertisement

ah bit of sarcasm there, apologies, walsh park has come to the end of its useful life in my opinion, society has changed dramatically since its creation, for many reasons, is doesnt make any sense anymore, i feel, we re just putting lipstick on a pig.

But its the only pig we have and its the only pig that the GAA will give us money to buy the lipstick for.

These are hard truths lads.

But its the only pig we have and its the only pig that the GAA will give us money to buy the lipstick for.

not quite. The story is half spun.

GAA were presented with Walsh park or nothing. So obviously its Walsh park.

a third option was never even looked into or thought of. If you had a choice between something or nothing, you would take something, but the fact remains it is just a lazy way out typified of the powers that be.

To say carriganore isn't viable isn't true quite simply it was something spun to appease the western end & keep the votes onside.

not quite. The story is half spun.

GAA were presented with Walsh park or nothing. So obviously its Walsh park.

a third option was never even looked into or thought of. If you had a choice between something or nothing, you would take something, but the fact remains it is just a lazy way out typified of the powers that be.

To say carriganore isn't viable isn't true quite simply it was something spun to appease the western end & keep the votes onside.

Its not viable. End of story. You think I'm denying it due to my Waterford mentality, I'm not.

I think Waterford is capable of great things altogether, but a big stadium on the outer ring road is not a great thing.

Ideally it would go on the Quays or somewhere else in the city but that's just as unviable as building out in carriganore due to the lack of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

On trucks like they did in The Simpsons?

engiweirdo wrote: »
    On trucks like they did in The Simpsons?

fcuk that, we re men, we ll carry them on our backs, contents and all!

Its not viable. End of story. You think I'm denying it due to my Waterford mentality, I'm not.

I think Waterford is capable of great things altogether, but a big stadium on the outer ring road is not a great thing.

Ideally it would go on the Quays or somewhere else in the city but that's just as unviable as building out in carriganore due to the lack of land.

lack of land??? building it on the quays? what is the stadium going to float??

have you even been out to carriganore? Do you know what land is there or isn't there?

Ah man! I give up!! good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Of course a stadium in Carraignore would be viable but i get the argument of it potentially impacting the city trade on match days. I dont however think it would be as big an issue as some might think. People would if they wanted travel back into the city for food or accommodation i mean there are many stadiums across the world which are outside the city centre and things operate quite well.

Walsh Park is only fit to be flattened. The new plans for it are not what Waterford GAA should be settling for. A new modern 10k stadium is the way to go and i don't think having it out in Carriganore would be a bad thing. A good stadium right beside the current set up would be ideal.

On a match day the areas surrounding Walsh Park are a disaster. Cars abandoned everywhere. Id hate to be a resident up there. There is no where else in the city so Carriganore seems the obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

What do we really need a big stadium for? A couple of games a year. All talk about parking and such when none of the stadiums in Ireland provide parking. Croke park Thurles Aviva thomond puc ya just park where you can on the street. Difference is people seem willing to walk when they go to these places.could dls roanmore mount sion and all other city clubs open there fields for parking make few quid. Waterford people won't even walk from town up to walsh park. People blame county boards or gaa been dinosaurs when fact is all the best facilities in country are gaa based. The smallest gaa clubs have better facilities than most league of Ireland soccer clubs or rugby clubs. Tidy walsh park up to 15000 and we be grand. Better than big white elephant somewhere sitting empty 50 weeks of the year.

lack of land??? building it on the quays? what is the stadium going to float??

have you even been out to carriganore? Do you know what land is there or isn't there?

Ah man! I give up!! good luck!

My god man, do you think land is free? Or its just given to people to develop whatever they want onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Walsh Park will get planning permission. hardly any doubt about that.The objections will delay things to get what there is an intent to do anyway. Conditions will be applied about parking and traffic management. A 15000 compact stadium, it will be full when it needs to be full and will be an intimidating fortress on senior hurling championship days.

• Advertisement

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Walsh Park will get planning permission. hardly any doubt about that.The objections will delay things to get what there is an intent to do anyway. Conditions will be applied about parking and traffic management. A 15000 compact stadium, it will be full when it needs to be full and will be an intimidating fortress on senior hurling championship days.

Bang on. In a few years we can talk about the ultimate plan but it'll be grand for now.

Deiseen wrote:
    Bang on. In a few years we can talk about the ultimate plan but it'll be grand for now.

Oh it ll be there for many years, maybe decades

Deiseen wrote:

Oh it ll be there for many years, maybe decades

Maybe never!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Walsh Park is the ultimate plan. A venue capable of providing patrons of county finals and League matches with a degree of comfort (seats, cover), whether they be able-bodied or not. Hopefully it will be full to bursting twice a year in June. Those of you who think there is an untapped market for mega-concerts in Waterford are welcome to build their own venue.

Walsh Park is the ultimate plan. A venue capable of providing patrons of county finals and League matches with a degree of comfort (seats, cover), whether they be able-bodied or not. Hopefully it will be full to bursting twice a year in June. Those of you who think there is an untapped market for mega-concerts in Waterford are welcome to build their own venue.

...and maybe those who agree with walsh park remaining should advocate for the building of designated car parks within the area?

...and maybe those who agree with walsh park remaining should advocate for the building of designated car parks within the area?

Here here!

And a plan other then levying every club in Waterford to repay a debt we didn’t want anything to do with !!!

Can someone answer me how do Kilkenny Gaa have €4.2m cash in the bank & Waterford owe hundreds of thousands?

Plenty of parking space in the fields of St. Paul's, Mount Sion, De La Salle and Roanmore! I'm sure those clubs would love €5 per car for games in Walsh Park, something they wouldn't have out in Carriganore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

azimuth17 wrote: »

Most sensible post all day...expecting 1000 spaces plus of off st parking to be provided is nuts and only being used by objectors as a stick to beat the co board with. Proper traffic management on big match days and a bit of organization with guardai, council etc and it is workable......as Has been pointed out already the square in thurles to semple stadium is surely close to quays to Walsh Park in distance. And majority of fans who regularly go to thurles regularly walk a hell of a lot further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Here here!

And a plan other then levying every club in Waterford to repay a debt we didn’t want anything to do with !!!

Can someone answer me how do Kilkenny Gaa have €4.2m cash in the bank & Waterford owe hundreds of thousands?

I suppose the habit of winning All-Irelands brings its own financial rewards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Most sensible post all day...expecting 1000 spaces plus of off st parking to be provided is nuts and only being used by objectors as a stick to beat the co board with. Proper traffic management on big match days and a bit of organization with guardai, council etc and it is workable......as Has been pointed out already the square in thurles to semple stadium is surely close to quays to Walsh Park in distance. And majority of fans who regularly go to thurles regularly walk a hell of a lot further

It takes about 15mins to walk from Liberty Square to Semple Stadium. To walk from the Clock Tower to Walsh Park is 25mins.

Persoanlly i dont mind the walking when going into any stadium, i have walked plenty when going to the Aviva and Croker. The issue i see is the development of Walsh park. In my opinion it is a half arsed attempt and it will be in sh!t in 10 years time. The achilles heel of Walsh park is the houses behind it. If they were gone a proper stand could be built but we all know those house wont be budging.

Advertisement