Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about Walsh Park?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    Road-Hog wrote: »
    Most sensible post all day...expecting 1000 spaces plus of off st parking to be provided is nuts and only being used by objectors as a stick to beat the co board with. Proper traffic management on big match days and a bit of organization with guardai, council etc and it is workable......as Has been pointed out already the square in thurles to semple stadium is surely close to quays to Walsh Park in distance. And majority of fans who regularly go to thurles regularly walk a hell of a lot further

It takes about 15mins to walk from Liberty Square to Semple Stadium. To walk from the Clock Tower to Walsh Park is 25mins.

Persoanlly i dont mind the walking when going into any stadium, i have walked plenty when going to the Aviva and Croker. The issue i see is the development of Walsh park. In my opinion it is a half arsed attempt and it will be in sh!t in 10 years time. The achilles heel of Walsh park is the houses behind it. If they were gone a proper stand could be built but we all know those house wont be budging.

Waterford GAA at the moment, have no decent source of income. Fill Walsh Park 2/3 times a year and thats around €1 million per year that they never had before, which will eventually allow for a proper upgrade, possibly of Walsh Park or somewhere else.

Its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Deiseen wrote: »
    Waterford GAA at the moment, have no decent source of income. Fill Walsh Park 2/3 times a year and thats around €1 million per year that they never had before, which will eventually allow for a proper upgrade, possibly of Walsh Park or somewhere else.

Its a start.

Is that after they pay their debts? I fear the current board will be a disaster with that kind of income. Waterford GAA needs people at the top who know what they are at in order for us to move forward.

Just out of curiosity what do you consider a proper upgrade and where can they expand to?

Its a start.

Is that after they pay their debts? I fear the current board will be a disaster with that kind of income. Waterford GAA needs people at the top who know what they are at in order for us to move forward.

Just out of curiosity what do you consider a proper upgrade and where can they expand to?

Hard to know but I think a start is buying up land around Walsh park for the purpose of development.

Hard to know but I think a start is buying up land around Walsh park for the purpose of development.

The cost of buying land there would be out of reach for the County board so i cant see them buying out people. It surely would not justify the cost involved. Also if they thought it doing such a thing was a runner then they would of went that route in the first place and that is why i dont see Walsh Park turning into anything but a half arsed attempt at a stadium. It will do for a few years until the debate starts all over again about the stadium not being good enough and that we should of done it properly in the first place.

The cost of buying land there would be out of reach for the County board so i cant see them buying out people. It surely would not justify the cost involved. Also if they thought it doing such a thing was a runner then they would of went that route in the first place and that is why i dont see Walsh Park turning into anything but a half arsed attempt at a stadium. It will do for a few years until the debate starts all over again about the stadium not being good enough and that we should of done it properly in the first place.

If they haven't got money to buy up a but of land around WP then how to jesus do people expect them to purchase enough land for an entirely new stadium?

• Advertisement

If they haven't got money to buy up a but of land around WP then how to jesus do people expect them to purchase enough land for an entirely new stadium?

The GAA and the government are less likely to give money to buy up houses given its location as one person who refuses to sell could kill the project or drive cost and time through the roof. It suits the GAA that the Waterford CB dont seem to care for anything but 2nd best so they will be happy for this half arsed attempt at an upgrade. A clean slate out by Carriganore would be seen as more viable imo. The other side of the coin is this, is it really nessecary for Waterford to have a brand new stadium......nope, so the GAA will let us re do Walsh Park for a couple of million. It will keep us quiet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Can't believe we are back to debating Walsh Park.

It is the only option on the table, all talk of alternative venues is just fairy tale stuff now.

Louth GAA looked at developing within dundalk IT and it was knocked on the head by GAA as they do not wish for any partnership developments.

The Belvedere objection (parking and traffic) was thrown out and I'd expect these two objections to see the same faith.

Get walsh park done now, formulate a plan for the next 20-30 years. Put a plan in place to either some how expand walsh park further (knocking current stand to incorporate dressing rooms/offices underneath allowing for terracing at the town end, increasing capacity to a further 2-5k) or move to a Green field site if required.

Highest attendance at our league games is 7-8k, county finals (sunday was probably the highest in a few years 3-4k)

15/16k is more than enough for us for the next 20 years. Anything bigger would be a massive financial burden for waterford.

As for concerts, rugby or soccer. Very few concerts outside dublin/cork. Limerick and galway gaa grounds have very few if any concerts. Rugby? Unless its ireland or somehow Munster forget about decent attendances (considering munster already have two stadiums, thormond park and musgrave park). Soccer? Only waterford fc in european football but a 16k walsh park could also hold waterford fc if we were really concerned about keeping games local.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anyone have a link to the appeals ???

cant find it on the Waterford Council site

914 wrote: »
    Can't believe we are back to debating Walsh Park.

It is the only option on the table, all talk of alternative venues is just fairy tale stuff now.

Louth GAA looked at developing within dundalk IT and it was knocked on the head by GAA as they do not wish for any partnership developments.

The Belvedere objection (parking and traffic) was thrown out and I'd expect these two objections to see the same faith.

Get walsh park done now, formulate a plan for the next 20-30 years. Put a plan in place to either some how expand walsh park further (knocking current stand to incorporate dressing rooms/offices underneath allowing for terracing at the town end, increasing capacity to a further 2-5k) or move to a Green field site if required.

Highest attendance at our league games is 7-8k, county finals (sunday was probably the highest in a few years 3-4k)

15/16k is more than enough for us for the next 20 years. Anything bigger would be a massive financial burden for waterford.

As for concerts, rugby or soccer. Very few concerts outside dublin/cork. Limerick and galway gaa grounds have very few if any concerts. Rugby? Unless its ireland or somehow Munster forget about decent attendances (considering munster already have two stadiums, thormond park and musgrave park). Soccer? Only waterford fc in european football but a 16k walsh park could also hold waterford fc if we were really concerned about keeping games local.

The problem is this though, Do the County board have the vision or sense to see Waterford GAA into the next 20yrs without continuing on the mess they have so far created and nurtured with such apparent ease. I think the general consensus would be NO.

Probably not, but who replaces the current county baord? I don't see to many club members queuing up to take their place.

We a decent stadium and better finances that could change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

PTH2009 wrote: »
    anyone have a link to the appeals ???

cant find it on the Waterford Council site

I thought I put up the link in a previous post....one is 16 pages long and mainly about parking, the appellant suggests that the old crystal site be used as a car park.....not sure if current owner would go for that without a lot of finance

Here goes with second attempt at link...

http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/18448/0

Scroll to bottom and click link to go to scanned documents...you will then get a link g list of docs that can be viewed one of them being the appeals

914 wrote: »
    Probably not, but who replaces the current county baord? I don't see to many club members queuing up to take their place.

We a decent stadium and better finances that could change.

Im sure there are many club members who would love to be part of a good stable proactive CB.

Again my fear would be can the county board be trusted to handle the finances irrespective of what is coming in? Its the going out which would be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Rugby

I think its a decent comparison of what can be achieved with limited space.

dzilla wrote: »
    Rugby

I think its a decent comparison of what can be achieved with limited space.

Do we have €30 million available to us? Dont think we do...

No we don't but the capacity is small etc and the greyhound stadium has similar parking constraints as the top of the town. An example of the powers that be up there getting on with the job.

No we don't but the capacity is small etc and the greyhound stadium has similar parking constraints as the top of the town. An example of the powers that be up there getting on with the job.

They've actually got loads of room to develop in comparison to WP and even a car park to boot! Add in another €23 million available to them and you get to the point where you cannot really compare at all.

If we had €30 million we could get a lovely stadium together, we dont.

They've actually got loads of room to develop in comparison to WP and even a car park to boot! Add in another €23 million available to them and you get to the point where you cannot really compare at all.

They have a car park for like 100 cars or so probably insignificant to the amount of cars that will arrive on the day. I am not referring to money and capital I am referring to the fact that they see 12000 as being ample and proceeding, down here people are hung up on capacity and parking.

They have a car park for like 100 cars or so probably insignificant to the amount of cars that will arrive on the day. I am not referring to money and capital I am referring to the fact that they see 12000 as being ample and proceeding, down here people are hung up on capacity and parking.

Ah ok, 15/16,000 for us will do for now but I think there's a demand for 20,000. Assuming our lads are competitive.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, 15/16,000 for us will do for now but I think there's a demand for 20,000. Assuming our lads are competitive.

Wonder why they want to do the club house at the other end of the ground. Surely more seats could be squeezed there

Wonder why they want to do the club house at the other end of the ground. Surely more seats could be squeezed there

Yep, I've wondered this aswell. The bus parking I can understand but you could easily incorporate the building into a stand and add an extra 3000/4000 seats.

Yep, I've wondered this aswell. The bus parking I can understand but you could easily incorporate the building into a stand and add an extra 3000/4000 seats.

Kills the atmosphere at that end of the ground aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 WuckingFanker

Walsh Park is horrible place that is considered (by the majority of thinking members of homo sapiens) completely undesirable to play in.

Though I understand it to be an ideal place for some unicorn hunting when the camogie girls play there.

Rugby

Yes it's rugby but does it really matter what sport it is?
    We just can't seem to pull the finger out when it comes to providing
    a top class sporting venue for GAA.

Only for the RSC we probably wouldn't have a soccer club!

Yes it's rugby but does it really matter what sport it is?
    We just can't seem to pull the finger out when it comes to providing
    a top class sporting venue for GAA.

Only for the RSC we probably wouldn't have a soccer club!

To be fair i think Connaught rugby have a higher average attendance than our GAA and Soccer so they surely have more money to play with. Also rugby is on a high in Ireland and winning competitions brings in money. From what iv read Connaught are not stumping up all the cash in this either.

To be fair i think Connaught rugby have a higher average attendance than our GAA and Soccer so they surely have more money to play with. Also rugby is on a high in Ireland and winning competitions brings in money. From what iv read Connaught are not stumping up all the cash in this either.

Yes you're probably correct but when I think back to what Martin Cullen said on the radio regarding Carraiganore it would make you wonder about the professionalism of those who are involved at a local level. Frustrating!!!

Yes you're probably correct but when I think back to what Martin Cullen said on the radio regarding Carraiganore it would make you wonder about the professionalism of those who are involved at a local level. Frustrating!!!

I agree 100% about the professionalism or lack of in this case. No long term vision whatsoever.

I think the whole Martin cullen saga has three sides to it. Martins, waterford gaa's and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

I have no doubt cullen would have done all he could but would it have been pulled off.

WIT Arena needed emergency funding to finish it off, would we now have a €25 - €40 million stadium built or would we now have a site half developed and be homeless like Antrim?

Remember Cullen had €27 million for the airport and look how that turned out! Most likely funding if available for a waterford stadium would have been pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Dalymount Park - a creaking old stadium in Dublin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh7Z60MH8E0

Not bad what some imagination & initiative could do

Advertisement