Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about Walsh Park?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The city end is missing a Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Seats behind the posts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

No matter what is done with Walsh Park some Waterford people will moan about it and that there won't be enough parking for the 2 times a year it will be full. There's plenty parking available within walking distance of the ground as pointed out in this thread . The IDA industrial estate could be used and you could use the WIT arena in Carriganore for park and ride. Paddy Joe Ryan and Pat Flynn were on Wlr and explained why they were going ahead with Walsh Park rather than other options and why capacity would be 16500 or so so it's time to get behind it now. Hopefully it will be ready for 2020.

I find that an interesting point, how games happen in the park? How often do you pass there? Where is evidence?

You obviously don't live close-by like I do, it's every second weekend there are matches there were parking is a major issue. How many times has your wing mirror been clipped when pass through there?

People park on double yellow lines and traffic is reduced to poor GAA co-ordination. Also people park on the common grass area, on the sides of the roundabout.

I lived in the local area for 13 years and it's only gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Kracken wrote: »
    I find that an interesting point, how games happen in the park? How often do you pass there? Where is evidence?

You obviously don't live close-by like I do, it's every second weekend there are matches there were parking is a major issue. How many times has your wing mirror been clipped when pass through there?

People park on double yellow lines and traffic is reduced to poor GAA co-ordination. Also people park on the common grass area, on the sides of the roundabout.

The only hope, which seems to be a very forlorn one, is that the GAA will make proper arrangements with owners of suitable space for parking in the surrounding areas, and cooperate with the Gardai to keep all roadside parking to a minimum, as well as reducing vehicular through traffic of attendees to nearly nil.

Will they do it?
    I doubt it, based on their history, but I believe it should be a requirement for any planning permission granted for the redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Well I go to a lot of hurling matches around the country and I think most counties seem to do a lot for the local residents to ensure they can get in-out.
    I was in Wexford for example recently and there was no parking within a good distance of the ground. And people respected it.

Maybe you need to make sure the Gardai/GAA/counci have a proper traffic management plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Martin Cullen has just been on the Eamonn Keane show giving Laurel and Hardy of the waterford county board a good kicking for rejecting his offer of loadsamoney when he was minister for sport.

Even Eamonn (who's far better than Billy) had to agree with him. Billy would have cut the phone line !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

91wx763 wrote: »
    Martin Cullen has just been on the Eamonn Keane show giving Laurel and Hardy of the waterford county board a good kicking for rejecting his offer of loadsamoney when he was minister for sport.

Even Eamonn (who's far better that Billy) had to agree with him. Billy would have cut the phone line !!!

Full interview here

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/former-minister-martin-cullen-breaks-ten-year-media-silence-exclusively-to-eamon-about-walsh-park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Even Eamonn (who's far better than Billy) had to agree with him. Billy would have cut the phone line !!!

Billy was a poor man's Eamonn Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

PTH2009 wrote: »

Oh my god, it would make you weep to think that that level of investment went a begging because if it wasn't matched in Fraher Field Dungarvan, they didn't want it. FFS!!!
    Cullen's right to still wonder if they shouldn't reappraise all options because that new Walsh Park looks like a pig in a poke, all lopsided coz they can't develop near the houses(understandably).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Why not sell the land for housing and then use the money and investment to build somewhere that has more space and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Why not sell the land for housing and then use the money and investment to build somewhere that has more space and so on.

Read the start of the thread......it was done to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

PTH2009 wrote: »

Oh my god, it would make you weep to think that that level of investment went a begging because if it wasn't matched in Fraher Field Dungarvan, they didn't want it. FFS!!!
    Cullen's right to still wonder if they shouldn't reappraise all options because that new Walsh Park looks like a pig in a poke, all lopsided coz they can't develop near the houses(understandably).

Your expecting too much of our county board...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Deiseen wrote: »

That interview just destroyed Waterford GAA.

Time for a independent audit of the books. Usually the reason to refuse public money is because you want to keep your accounts in the dark.

I can see a prime time episode about waterford GAA's accounts in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

That interview just destroyed Waterford GAA.

Time for a independent audit of the books. Usually the reason to refuse public money is because you want to keep your accounts in the dark.

I can see a prime time episode about waterford GAA's accounts in the future!
    Well the question has to be asked about where the "million euro debt" that stopped all development until it was paid off came from. There was the sad situation where the poor man from Portlaw died after being conned out of around €150,000 of GAA money online but that you would assume that would have been accounted for. But something indeed isn't right here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Well the question has to be asked about where the "million euro debt" that stopped all development until it was paid off came from. There was the sad situation where the poor man from Portlaw died after being conned out of around €150,000 of GAA money online but that you would assume that would have been accounted for. But something indeed isn't right here at all.

Davy Fits also cost the county board a fourtune. The problem the CB have is they have no revenie stream, look at least years county final attendance.

We had a few years where we spent a fortune on county teams in order to try and win an AI, which resulted in more money going out than coming in.

There was also the fisaco with jedward where they lost a fortune on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

IanVW wrote: »
    New Walsh park

It's about as inspiring as the new, 'Apple Market'

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

No matter what is done with Walsh Park some Waterford people will moan about it and that there won't be enough parking for the 2 times a year it will be full. There's plenty parking available within walking distance of the ground as pointed out in this thread . The IDA industrial estate could be used and you could use the WIT arena in Carriganore for park and ride. Paddy Joe Ryan and Pat Flynn were on Wlr and explained why they were going ahead with Walsh Park rather than other options and why capacity would be 16500 or so so it's time to get behind it now. Hopefully it will be ready for 2020.

I do drive by regularly enough and when I go to national league matches I always park at shopping centre or Bank of Ireland Lisduggan and walk up to Walsh Park. Some people can be selfish and lazy and if they are allowed they will park in unsuitable places. The Gardai need to enforce proper parking and for big championship matches only allow residents park inside certain areas. That is done at other stadiums. The point I was making was that within 30 minutes walk of Walsh Park there are plenty places to park and for big championship matches at the redeveloped stadium they should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I do drive by regularly enough and when I go to national league matches I always park at shopping centre or Bank of Ireland Lisduggan and walk up to Walsh Park. Some people can be selfish and lazy and if they are allowed they will park in unsuitable places. The Gardai need to enforce proper parking and for big championship matches only allow residents park inside certain areas. That is done at other stadiums. The point I was making was that within 30 minutes walk of Walsh Park there are plenty places to park and for big championship matches at the redeveloped stadium they should be used.

Those parking areas are private, for customers only, as I understand.
    It has happened recently in other locations, where a shopping parking area was actively monitored and game attendees refused entry.

It is up to the GAA to be actively involved in arranging suitable parking areas when they bring in such vehicular traffic.
    Furthermore they should have information available to all attendees on where those arranged and supervised car parks are located.

Also, yes of course they should have sufficient arrangements in place for garda personnel to be available for trffic management and other duties.

The planning permission for refurbish/re-build should depend on such arrangements (amongst others) having been agreed in writing and lodged with the application.

Without this 'guarantee' there should be no planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It only takes one objection to mess this all up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Been a while since I've been up around there, but is Musgraves old warehouse still lying empty? Maybe they could knock that, and having parking spaces there, and charge them whatever money to fund it. There's the green space beside Rowe Creavin aswell. Another opportunity for parking spaces. Place those red permanent bollards outside the stadium to ensure no-one parks on the paths near the stadium once carparks are available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

CLG Port Lairge - Waterford GAA have submitted their planning application to Waterford Council for the redevelopment of Walsh Park. The following images were presented to a number of councillors last week. The proposal is for a covered terrace of 5240, uncovered bucket seating of 4430 & 5,000 plus covered bucket seating in the existing stand. The need to have a robust traffic management plan not only for potential big Munster Championship fixtures but for club games was stressed to the county board officials!

Planning application can be found on the following link & documents will be uploaded soon... http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/18448/0

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

And 2 more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Even the graphics look rubbish. When they were doing up cusack park I remember some amazing looking images doing the rounds. If the above images are the dream of what it will look like, God knows what it will actually look like.

Martin Cullen was right when he said that we have to think longer term than how do we get to have a home advantage next year. If we do this work now we're making sure that we don't get a decent ground any time soon.

Do they need to put the Waterford GAA building like that right there? Losing the possibility of 5/6000 seats due to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Do they need to put the Waterford GAA building like that right there? Losing the possibility of 5/6000 seats due to that...

And making it far more difficult and expensive to do anything. Carriganore is a better location for it now. They should revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

If they demolished the current stand, built it steeper which would allow dressing rooms/ offices to be built underneath like what has been done in the RSC, that would then allow terracing to be placed at the city end.

Also a massive waste of space in each corner. If those areas were also filled in we could be possibly looking at 20/22k.

Looks like patch work to me. Our upgrade is a bus carpark, building and two terraced areas which should have been done during the past 22 years!

SURELY the GAA can give us a bit more towards the stadium????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I said they want it done as quickly and cheaply as possible. This issue will never be fixed as long as Fraher Field is there, Waterford GAA needs to plant it's flag in either Dungarvan or the City for once and for all time.

Just spotted there are no plans for floodlights, which seems short-sighted as well. Then again that's probably a tricky planning issue with the houses so close on two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Thought john Cummins comments made lot of sense, there is an east and west county board and should be joined.out of all the nonsense that has gone on over decades, the idiocy not to jump at Martin Cullen's proposal, state we are in now, etc...they still have two organisations in one organisation..no hope until rubbish like that is eliminated.
    At this stage, if you would like to see a decent stadium in Waterford, best option IMO would be to support the blues, if numbers grew a relatively small bit and stayed consistent then extension of seating there most viable.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Thought john Cummins comments made lot of sense, there is an east and west county board and should be joined.out of all the nonsense that has gone on over decades, the idiocy not to jump at Martin Cullen's proposal, state we are in now, etc...they still have two organisations in one organisation..no hope until rubbish like that is eliminated.
    At this stage, if you would like to see a decent stadium in Waterford, best option IMO would be to support the blues, if numbers grew a relatively small bit and stayed consistent then extension of seating there most viable.

All for supporting the blues, but hurling is king and unless something drastic happens, you will never see the same crowds at a Blues game.

Advertisement