Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time viewing for house share

Options
  • 16-03-2018 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im going looking at a house (sharing) this evening.

Im happy enough with the rent, es, wifi and rubbish is inc in the price given to me.

Its my first time ever doing this, can anybody give me some advice tips on what to ask and look out for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Hi all

Im going looking at a house (sharing) this evening.

Im happy enough with the rent, es, wifi and rubbish is inc in the price given to me.

Its my first time ever doing this, can anybody give me some advice tips on what to ask and look out for?

Thanks!

I did house sharing approximately 10 years ago but apart from the rent increase the same rules apply.
    If the room is in Dublin you are going to have lots of competition. If you are happy with the rent, the room and the house over all (e.g cleanliness ) then I would see how your future housemates are.
    I viewed houses as a professional and decided against sharing with students as it would collide with the different lifestyles (when I was I student I would have chosen some of those houses though as it sounded like good fun..)
    Make sure to have a good bit of a chat so you can see whether the place is right for you .
    Just be yourself. In the end of the day they will choose the person that is reliable and they are getting on with.

Bills are usually equally shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If the room is nice and the house mates are nice then you'll have a lot of competition, so make sure you come across well to the housemates, because you also have to impress them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

May also be in the same position as the OP soon with a potential relocation to Dublin for work.
    How do you make yourself stand out from the competition? Also I imagine when you look on daft you have to move fairly fast?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Gael23 wrote: »
    May also be in the same position as the OP soon with a potential relocation to Dublin for work.
    How do you make yourself stand out from the competition? Also I imagine when you look on daft you have to move fairly fast?

Give accurate information. Age, gender, place of origin, place of study work. Say ready to move immediately or wait, if convenient. You need to react to ads quickly. Some sharings will want a definite type of tenant, eg a student or a non-student or a male or female. Don't be put out by not getting an answer. if you are asked to come and view, it is best to arrive on time and make sure to get an accurate address and have a map. Nothing more annoying than some muppet ringing from a mobile looking for directions.

Does having a deposit in hand help? Would rather not carry a large amount of cash but if it seals the deal that’s different.

• Advertisement

Does having a deposit in hand help? Would rather not carry a large amount of cash but if it seals the deal that’s different.

It used to. Not really done much anymore. the ability to do a transfer from a phone may be more important. Most viewings now result in a call back for a deposit rather than first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Maybe have a mini-deposit, 50 - 100 euros. If you like it and they like you, you can do the deal there and then. Watch out for the usual: "I've other places to look at so I'll be in touch", "We've other tenants to interview so we'll be in touch". Code for "I'm not sure about you". Just say at the end of the viewing: "Yeah, I like this, and I think I'm a good fit, and I like you guys, so what about settling this now: here's 100 euro deposit until I move in.". Cuts out the bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

This post has been deleted.

Yeah I know that, but at least if you hear the "we'll let you know" at that stage, you can be pretty sure that they aren't interested in you and you can focus on the next place.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Yeah I know that, but at least if you hear the "we'll let you know" at that stage, you can be pretty sure that they aren't interested in you and you can focus on the next place.

Very few make up their minds on the spot now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

4ensic15 wrote: »
    fatbhoy wrote: »

Very few make up their minds on the spot now.

Agreed. I think this comes across as pushy, you are putting them under unnecessary pressure to choose you when there might be heaps more people to view the place.

If you come across as normal and easy to live with you stand a better chance than offering 100 euro.

So just put a good show for yourself is all you can do really?

Advertisement