Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VPN Router setup in current Router +Switch setup

• 16-03-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    have bought a Cisco RV130W wireless VPN Router.

we need to get access to our network from home for Remote Desktop use.

Currently we have a Eir router (static IP, DHCP and LAN 192.168.1.x, gateway is 192.168.1.254) --> Cisco Switch (unmanaged). we have a DNS Server (active directory 192.168.1.101 static) on an internal server.
    We bought a VPN Router to complete the job of getting access to the network.

but now i realise i need to put this between the existing PRIMARY router and the switch as so.
    Primary Router --> VPN Router --> Switch.

How do i go about configuring this? Any info out there? i done some googling and its not very informative (or its confusing me!).

Do i need to go as follows?
    Primary Router --> Switch.
    Primary Router --> VPN Router --> a dedicated landing machine/PC for the VPN access
    and then make the network (on the switch) accessible in some way( i dont know how!) to this dedicated PC landing machine?

any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

thekooman wrote: »
    hi all,
    have bought a Cisco RV130W wireless VPN Router.

we need to get access to our network from home for Remote Desktop use.

Currently we have a Eir router (static IP, DHCP and LAN 192.168.1.x, gateway is 192.168.1.254) --> Cisco Switch (unmanaged). we have a DNS Server (active directory 192.168.1.101 static) on an internal server.
    We bought a VPN Router to complete the job of getting access to the network.

but now i realise i need to put this between the existing PRIMARY router and the switch as so.
    Primary Router --> VPN Router --> Switch.

How do i go about configuring this? Any info out there? i done some googling and its not very informative (or its confusing me!).

Do i need to go as follows?
    Primary Router --> Switch.
    Primary Router --> VPN Router --> a dedicated landing machine/PC for the VPN access
    and then make the network (on the switch) accessible in some way( i dont know how!) to this dedicated PC landing machine?

any help would be appreciated.

The easiest way to do this would be to bridge the Eir modem and use the Cisco as your main router getting a public IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

The easiest way to do this would be to bridge the Eir modem and use the Cisco as your main router getting a public IP

how do i even start going about this? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thekooman wrote: »
    how do i even start going about this? :o

what model EIR router do you have and is your service DSL or Fiber?

You just need to bridge it and instructions will depend on what you have.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    what model EIR router do you have and is your service DSL or Fiber?

You just need to bridge it and instructions will depend on what you have.

its an Eir F2000 modem and we are on DSL (VDSL shows in the settings).

I have setup the VPN Router now to connect to one of the LAN ports on this Eir router via the WAN port on the VPN Router; all looks good on the one PC I have in that its connected (has internet access, get IP address from the VPN router).
    I have assigned the VPN router a static IP (same range as the Eir router) but its on a different subnet (primary is 192.180.78.x and VPN router is 192.168.1.100-150)

I enabled IPSec forwarding to the VPN router from the Eir router.

I setup the IPSec rules as in the image.

the logs are attached as well.

I can see its attempting to connect but then the connection fails on the Shrew VPN client software.
    peer configured
    iskamp proposal configured
    esp proposal configured
    client configured
    local id configured
    remote id configured
    pre-shared key configured
    bringing up tunnel ...
    network device configured
    tunnel enabled
    session terminated by gateway
    tunnel disabled
    detached from key daemon

446324.png

I'm not sure if i have Remote Endpoint, Source and Destinations set correctly. will keep googling! noob at all of this.

getting there...
    I got connected to the VPN and Remote Desktop'd to the PC on the VPN Router! :D:D:D:D:D:D

BUT....
    it then disconnected and says:
    session terminated by gateway

I obviously need to increase a timeout somewhere? any ideas?

• Advertisement

got sorted on this... decided to use PPTP which is easier to setup and easier to connect to from a client perspective. i think it could have been the Shrewsoft VPN client that was acting the mick! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some consider PPTP to be a Fischer Price VPN.

ED E wrote: »
    Some consider PPTP to be a Fischer Price VPN.
    brilliant :-) It's working for us anyways.

Advertisement