Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud

Options
  • 16-03-2018 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there, I have been the victim of a very intricate scam. I wanted to book a holiday to Greece and chose a Villa from the legitimate Airbnb website which was adveritised as being available. I was tricked into paying for the Villa outside of the Airbnb platform by receiving emails from the host that were exact replicas of what Airbnb would send. In short, I had sent €2000 to a bank account in Spain which I though was an Airbnb broker, of which actually does not exist anywhere in the world. It was a scam. I rang the emergency number for bank of Ireland now to cancel the transaction while it was still in progress and there seems to be nothing done about it. Now, that's my money, not bank of Ireland and not the Spanish banks money, I was made aware of the scam before the scam artist actually recieved the money and they still could not do anything about it. There should be some sort of red flag or pause system that can Ben put on the transaction in these cases as this is really just unacceptable. To make matters worse, bank of Ireland have still not contacted me in relation to the matter. I have rang three times and emailed the online service desk and they tell me the same thing every time. this is fraud and unfortunately bank of Ireland are not equipped to deal with these situations and look after their customers. This should be treated with the highest of priority not just left at the bottom of the pile. After all, if I send money from my own bank account I should be allowed cancel the transaction if it has not been processed fully!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Akim Farag wrote: »
    Hi there, I have been the victim of a very intricate scam. I wanted to book a holiday to Greece and chose a Villa from the legitimate Airbnb website which was adveritised as being available. I was tricked into paying for the Villa outside of the Airbnb platform by receiving emails from the host that were exact replicas of what Airbnb would send. In short, I had sent €2000 to a bank account in Spain which I though was an Airbnb broker, of which actually does not exist anywhere in the world. It was a scam. I rang the emergency number for bank of Ireland now to cancel the transaction while it was still in progress and there seems to be nothing done about it. Now, that's my money, not bank of Ireland and not the Spanish banks money, I was made aware of the scam before the scam artist actually recieved the money and they still could not do anything about it. There should be some sort of red flag or pause system that can Ben put on the transaction in these cases as this is really just unacceptable. To make matters worse, bank of Ireland have still not contacted me in relation to the matter. I have rang three times and emailed the online service desk and they tell me the same thing every time. this is fraud and unfortunately bank of Ireland are not equipped to deal with these situations and look after their customers. This should be treated with the highest of priority not just left at the bottom of the pile. After all, if I send money from my own bank account I should be allowed cancel the transaction if it has not been processed fully!
    Hi Akim, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be happy to have a look into this for you and produce a proof of payment that you can bring to the Garda so that they can start an Investigation in to this. 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

Maybe you should of been more careful where you were sending 2000 euro to just saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

I had a dog on a leash. I let the dog free from the leash because it looked safe in the jungle to do so but my dog never came back. Can the company who provided the leash be held accountable. Also the reason I let the dog off the leash was probably a too good to be missed offer. Life reason - jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Hope yis feel better after that

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

What do you mean? - if you send 2k to a random Greek dude who wants to paid outside of the protection of the normal payment system you think he deserves sympathy? Cope on - he's either a troll, a scammer or an idiot. Airbnb is a godsend for fraudsters - your responsibility for a cheap stay is to be careful, pay through the most secure platform and if it's too good to be true - it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement