Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer - Salary Lower Than Discussed

Options
  • 16-03-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭

So I’ve been looking to leave my current job and today got a salary offer but it's lower than what the recruiters had discussed with me when we had a chat about the job and what it entails. I have 10 years experience in the sector and when we chatted the recruiter said “we’ll put you down for xx k.” Today the job has offered me a salary of approx 8-9k lower than expected. This with a shift rate would be a deciding factor in me leaving my current job.

Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go back and tell them that the offer is too low, that you were expecting an offer of XX.

Be have reasons - more senior role, losing shift rate, longer hours, etc etc.

This is a negotiation, not you begging for scraps. Negotiate :)

And always, always, always end the negotiation with, "Alright, leave it with me and I'll come back to you". Never accept the offer unless they give you everything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Recently gone through this process and it's well worth sticking in and asking for what you want.

It's probably the best chance you're going to get to negotiate your salary with your employer so don't sell yourself short.

The fact that you've got a recruiter as a middleman should help imho....tell them you're not happy with the offer. It's in their interest to get you into the role so they should make an effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Know your value, know your worth - they are the parameters that matter to you and should be the only terms you negotiate under

If you're not content with what's on offer or can be negotiated then scratch this job application off and move onto the next one.

With your 10 years experience, growing economy/recession over, I don't see any point of anyone at your career point taking up a new job with questions marks in your head on Day 1 of the job over your T&Cs from your new employer

If recruiter has 8-9k margin over the employer then recruiter may be stretching and employer lowballing, the final negotiated salary level may fall somewhere in between

Advertisement