Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great story line games

Options
  • 16-03-2018 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone recommend any PC Games that have great story lines?

Horror, thriller, mystery, adventure. Anything really.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Spec Ops The Line

Should get it for about 50 cents these days.

Bioshock is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Can anyone recommend any PC Games that have great story lines?

Horror, thriller, mystery, adventure. Anything really.

Firewatch
    What remains of Edith’s finch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dark Souls

You might have to watch a few videos to pick it up though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The Witcher 3. Interesting, likeable and diverse characters and an immersive world. Story is very enjoyable but it's not short in case that's what you're looking for, plus there are some great side quests.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some of the classics can't be beaten for story. Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2, Star Wars KotR, and System Shock 2 come to mind.

More recently, i've really enjoyed the Telltale games. Wolf Among Us in particular. The Mass Effect trilogy is fantastic, if you like epic Sci Fi. Loved the Witcher 3 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The whole Yakuza series.

My favourite gaming series for the stories alone.

Edit: Damn, forgot I was in the PC thread! PlayStation only unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The Last of Us was a great story. Harrowing in places. Think it’s PlayStation exclusive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

+1 Spec Ops: The line

Alpha Protocol

Sleeping Dogs

Mass Effect 1 and 2 (nope 3 is still not forgiven for ending)

Dragon Age Origins

Oh and This is the police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Mass Effect series

Divinity 1 & 2

Bioshock series

Assassins Creed 2

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Icewind Dale is still one of my favourite gaming memories.

Recently played through Planescape Torment and that's pretty good storywise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Dark Souls

Really?
    I would have said that there was great lore behind the story, but wouldn't call the story itself particularly good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Witcher 3 and the expansions are all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Also agreeing on Witcher 3, it's the best game I've ever played but the real highlight is the story. It's a huge undertaking (I've done two playthroughs are over 150 hours each! :o ) but is by a mile the best story in any game I've ever played, and you're able to influence it in huge ways throughout (often without knowing... e.g. "let NPC live/die" might wind up with that NPC saving another character later who would otherwise die, or killing another character who would otherwise live). The excellent cut scenes and facial animations help a tonne here too, a tiny change of expression lets you know what the character is thinking very often which the makers used to great effect rather than having the character outright says "that makes me angry/sad/happy/etc", which helps a tonne with immersion.

It's a bit more on the fantasy/dragons end, but a fair comparison would probably be Game of Thrones - if you like that, you'll love The Witcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

fallout 2, wasteland 2 divinity original sin 2 ..hmm a lot of two's .. ehh tyranny. I like rpg's kay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NieR: Automata

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Season One.

Spec Ops: The Line

Doki Doki Literature Club

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paulDr

Bioshock Infinite for sure. That has one of the most mind-bending narratives that I have come across in any medium. I never finished the original because my save-game got corrupted about 15-20 hours in, and I just wasn't up for replaying the lost hours. I may try the remastered version.

Really must check out some of the great indie titles I know are out there. Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

paulDr wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite for sure. That has one of the most mind-bending narratives that I have come across in any medium. I never finished the original because my save-game got corrupted about 15-20 hours in, and I just wasn't up for replaying the lost hours. I may try the remastered version.

Really must check out some of the great indie titles I know are out there. Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The Turing Test was an interesting one for me. Trying to piece together some history on a space ship.

Thanks for that Dardania!

Speaking of sci-games that deal with artificial intelligence, The Talos Principle looks pretty amazing and got great reviews. That's definitely on my must play list.

Advertisement