Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed After Paying Outside of AirBnB

Options
  • 16-03-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there, I have been the victim of a very intricate scam. I wanted to book a holiday to Greece and chose a Villa from the legitimate Airbnb website which was adveritised as being available. I was tricked into paying for the Villa outside of the Airbnb platform by receiving emails from the host that were exact replicas of what Airbnb would send. In short, I had sent €2000 to a bank account in Spain which I though was an Airbnb broker, of which actually does not exist anywhere in the world. It was a scam. I rang the Number for Airbnb Ireland and there seems to be nothing done about it. Now, obviously if an Advertisment is on the legitimate Airbnb website I am going to think it is legitimate. Airbnb should have some sort of validation for properties that prevents this from happening. The Airbnb customer services have done nothing to help me in this situation and I have not been contacted once in relation to the matter. I'd advise anyone booking a holiday to stay away from this online booking as it's full of scams and people who are unwilling to help. How on earth could this be tolerated on your legitimate website, if the ad did not exist on your legitimate website then I would not have requested to book it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

doesnt sound to intricate, sounds like the usual stupid people falling for dumb email responses.

They clearly state not to send money outside of the platform, why have they to help you?
    The villa might indeed to legit, and the guy has just taken you for a ride as you were any easy target. its a tough lesson, but nothing can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Akim Farag

RossieMan wrote: »
    doesnt sound to intricate, sounds like the usual stupid people falling for dumb email responses.

They clearly state not to send money outside of the platform, why have they to help you?
    The villa might indeed to legit, and the guy has just taken you for a ride as you were any easy target. its a tough lesson, but nothing can be done about it.

Oh yeah man, takes a stupid person to call someone stupid. I received emails from a fake airbnb email address, advertisement was on the legitimate Airbnb website so I thought the emails were legitimate as well. In no way was I informed of the payment method and to avoid sending details through email. As far as I was concerned, I was dealing with Airbnb until I realised it was a scam. Don't be a big man hiding behind your computer screen and calling people stupid, learn to spell first, and if you don't have anything helpful to say you know where to go :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note:

RossieMan, you are being less than helpful. Don't post in the thread again.
    Akim, if you have an issue with a post report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The lesson is; if you’re ever asked to pay for something by bank transfer, rather than card, run away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Akim, sorry to hear this has happened to you, its huge amount of money. I would advise you to contact your bank immediately, they might be able to do a charge back on the card.

something similar happened to a friend last Christmas, she bought some toys off a website not realising it was dodgy
    she wrote to bank and told them it all looked legit to her and she got refunded. Good luck.

oh I just noticed you send a bank transfer, I am not sure if the bank can help here, the police should be notified as a crime has been committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

a fool and there money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephenineire

i'm being using airbnb for about 3 years and i'm not aware of any "airbnb broker's".

airbnb takes a commission of about 15pc so there is an incentive for people to go outside the airbnb system. clearly if you do that you take a risk and i thinks only reasonable that airbnb will not offer you its normal "protections".

airbnb do continually advise people not to go "outside the system".

my advise to go immediately to the police. as its is a lot of money and it was electronic you may have an avenue to pursue. thankfully you did not give them cash. im sure some do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically your only option here is to go to the Gardai. You are exceptionally unlikely to see a cent of the money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

a fool and there money.

*their

A fool and their spelling. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of the issue OP, it's a ton of money - may be worth contacting the bank & also the Gardai possibly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

What do you expect AirBnb to do about it? I've used AirBnB numerous times and never had an issue. The issue arises when you move away from a trusted website and make payments outside the normal process. I've only ever had one host try take our business off AirBnb and I ran a mile.

Your best possible outcome is to try a charge back with the bank if paid by card. Scammers usually look for transfers though. An expensive mistake you've made but hopefully a charge back will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Akim Farag wrote: »
    I had sent €2000 to a bank account in Spain which I though was an Airbnb broker
    So, lets see. You went outside the AirBnB platform.
    Airbnb should have some sort of validation for properties that prevents this from happening.
    You think that AirBnB should somehow vet emails that weren't sent by them.
    The Airbnb customer services have done nothing to help me in this situation and I have not been contacted once in relation to the matter.
    You think that AirBnB should assist you when you were scammed via email, not via their site.
    I'd advise anyone booking a holiday to stay away from this online booking as it's full of scams and people who are unwilling to help.
    And you advise people to stay away from the site, as you weren't scammed on the site?
    How on earth could this be tolerated on your legitimate website, if the ad did not exist on your legitimate website then I would not have requested to book it.
    But you didn't pay through the site?

I'm confused. You got scammed via email direct to your email, and you think that AirBnB should somehow financially compensate you?

the_syco wrote: »

You think that AirBnB should assist you when you were scammed via email, not via their site.

And you advise people to stay away from the site, as you weren't scammed on the site?

I'm confused. You got scammed via email direct to your email, and you think that AirBnB should somehow financially compensate you?

Your picking apart what I said before you know the whole story, I was sent emails that were replicas of Airbnb, but I would not have paid attention to these if I knew that it was a scam. THE listing was on the Airbnb legitimate website and so I thought the emails were legitimate as well. I don't expect any compensation from Airbnb I just expect them to keep their site more secure and not allow fake advertisment which may lead to a situation like this. All I wanted was some info on the person who did this as his information is possibly on the Airbnb website if his advertisement was on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

the_syco wrote:

I have several emails from Nigerian prince's and government officials. I have them filed away for my retirement. I don't need the millions yet.

I don't expect any compensation from Airbnb I just expect them to keep their site more secure and not allow fake advertisment which may lead to a situation like this.
    AirBnB cannot stop people emailing people off their site.
    All I wanted was some info on the person who did this as his information is possibly on the Airbnb website if his advertisement was on the website.
    Don't talk to the fake host anymore. Goto the Gardai, and pursue it as a case of fraud, and perhaps AirBnB will give the info to the Gardai to assist you in your case. They sure as hell won't give some random person details on a host that according to their records, you never used.

Your picking apart what I said before you know the whole story
    No. I'm picking apart the story on available information. You want to keep info, fine, but you'll be helped on what we see.

Yeah but your not listening, I payed for it through bank transfer having received and email from what I thought was Airbnb , I would not have thought email was legit If the fake advertisement was not on the real Airbnb website

No. I'm picking apart the story on available information. You want to keep info, fine, but you'll be helped on what we see.

Yeah but your not listening, I payed for it through bank transfer having received and email from what I thought was Airbnb , I would not have thought email was legit If the fake advertisement was not on the real Airbnb website

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Akim Farag wrote:
    Your picking apart what I said before you know the whole story, I was sent emails that were replicas of Airbnb, but I would not have paid attention to these if I knew that it was a scam. THE listing was on the Airbnb legitimate website and so I thought the emails were legitimate as well. I don't expect any compensation from Airbnb I just expect them to keep their site more secure and not allow fake advertisment which may lead to a situation like this. All I wanted was some info on the person who did this as his information is possibly on the Airbnb website if his advertisement was on the website.

It's a well known scam. It's been covered on liveline before.

Sorry to hear you lost so much. Its possibly the end of your holiday plans for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What you should have done was report the ad thus allowing AirBnB remove it.

Thats how these sites work.

The scammers are relying on people not following proper procedures, had you read the t&cs etc you would not have been scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Its tough to lose so much money but they tell people repeatedly to only pay through secure payment.
    It has to be a horrible experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

But you paid for it via a method if payment not approved by AirBnB.

Also the vendor in question got your email address from somewhere or did you just recieve a random email from AirBnB. Either way you didn't use AirBnB you got scammed by a third party

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The fact that you dont understand Sycos very clear post indicates strongly to me that you should stop shopping booking online.

No muthafcuker, you're not listening. You got scammed by a fake email, that came from the fake host. Not via AirBnB. Thus AirBnB have nothing to do with it.

If you don't understand this, you're going to be an easy target by a couple of scammers, such as the fake Revenue emails that claim you owe them money, and the fake bank emails that state your account will be shut down unless you log onto their fake website that will then drain your life savings.

No muthafcuker, you're not listening. You got scammed by a fake email, that came from the fake host. Not via AirBnB. Thus AirBnB have nothing to do with it.

If you don't understand this, you're going to be an easy target by a couple of scammers, such as the fake Revenue emails that claim you owe them money, and the fake bank emails that state your account will be shut down unless you log onto their fake website that will then drain your life savings.

Ok big man pipe it down behind your computer screen. I simply stated that the only reason I followed the email was because the ad was legitimately on their website and I thought the email was from Airbnb because it was titled as "Airbnb". Don't get so passionate with your posts, you would not open your mouth like that to me in person so save it wise guy 😂

Your stating the obvious over and over man, I know exactly what happened you don't need to say it 100 times

Calm down or cards will be issued

Email titles, from addresses, return addresses, indeed absolutely everything in them can be faked.

L1011 wrote: »
    Calm down or cards will be issued

Email titles, from addresses, return addresses, indeed absolutely everything in them can be faked.

Oh yeah I know that now buddy thanks for stating the obvious hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And yet your money is gone....

ED E wrote: »
    And yet your money is gone....

Oh yeah I knew that aswell man, again thank you for stating the obvious haha

• Advertisement

Read the warnings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement