Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Where the best place to buy this with quick delivery? Showing no results on Honorbuy currently.

Are you looking at the right device?

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 [WHYRED][Global] on Honorbuy.

^^^ Hope your not looking for the version with the Pro extension to the name which is Indian only version. See op!

Edit: - If your into flashing custom roms, it maybe advised to not purchase Xiaomi, until they resolve the MIUI 10 Oreo's Anti-Rollback feature.

Something that could also be rolled out to other OEM devices as well soon, just badly implemented by Xiaomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Currently abroad (in europe) and cannot use phone. On 3 network. Any suggestions on what is wrong

greysheep wrote: »
    Currently abroad (in europe) and cannot use phone. On 3 network. Any suggestions on what is wrong

Have you enable roaming in network settings on your device?
    Does your 3 Sim allow roaming?

Maybe post in the three forum, to see if there is any problems there end at present.

It is a multi sim device, get a local sim (Pay as you go) and use that.

http://www.three.ie/roaming/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Obviously not! I was looking at the Pro version for some reason. Will have to give this thread a proper read through. Thanks.

Edit: Is the 6GB RAM one not available in the global version? I only see the 6GB RAM available in the Chinese version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

greysheep wrote: »

Enable roaming in settings
    Settings > SIM card > Data roaming > data roaming - Always
    Also for phone network set to automatic if not already set. Settings > Sim card > choose SIM card
    > Mobile network > automatic
    Then reboot phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

€163 for the black one here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Call me stupid but how do I change settings for gboard keyboard? For SwiftKey I can add row with numbers on top,row with directional arrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

dinneenp wrote: »
    Call me stupid but how do I change settings for gboard keyboard? For SwiftKey I can add row with numbers on top,row with directional arrows.

Settings-System-Languages&input-Gboard-Virtual keyboard-Gboard-Preferences.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Settings-System-Languages&input-Gboard-Virtual keyboard-Gboard-Preferences.

Thanks.cant findbthrnootion for directional arrows on bottom row.reallyblovebthis as it makes it easy to jump to a specific area (eg to fix a mistake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

43400232291_bc543e7041_b.jpg
    28531029127_7bfc04a474_b.jpg
    43352443622_82b20ccc51_b.jpg
    42496338305_92dd5229db_b.jpg
    42683848294_8be5bca46e_b.jpg

This is the GKK that just arrived for RN5. When its fitted I will give another update .

• Advertisement

It came with a screen protector, plastic film rather than tempered glass, quality not great and is better off discarding. Thankfully the case edges don't encroach on the screen so my tempered glass inserts still fit.

This is the GKK that just arrived for RN5. When its fitted I will give another update .

Your protector looks like the proper (glass/harder plastic) version and not the flimsy version @captain_boycott reported getting?

Edit: Is the 6GB RAM one not available in the global version? I only see the 6GB RAM available in the Chinese version.

No 6gb version for global.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks.cant findbthrnootion for directional arrows on bottom row.reallyblovebthis as it makes it easy to jump to a specific area (eg to fix a mistake)

Can you not just touch the area with your finger to jump?

@corkie . - The glass/tough plastic is quite solid and very transparent

WHYRED MIUI 10 Oreo's Anti-Rollback <<< Possible method to get around ARP!

[XDA][Index] Everything About Anti Roll-back [Whyred]

^^^ Have not tested the above, because luckily haven't trigger it yet on my device.

[XDA][Index] Redmi Note 5/Pro Miui ROMs without firmware [fw-less]

^^^ MIUI Roms without ARP Firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

im interested in that reply. how much was that ?....sometimes i find those hard plastic cases slippy, how is that one grip-wise ?....is the glass adhesive all over or on sides only ?

Have to say Doug, the back of the case is shiny and smooth and could be a bit slippery.
    Will update when it has been fitted and I find out about the owner of the phone thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

dougm1970 wrote:
    im interested in that reply. how much was that ?....sometimes i find those hard plastic cases slippy, how is that one grip-wise ?....is the glass adhesive all over or on sides only ?

I've been using the case the last month, the missus also.

No slippy at all, I'd recommend it.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    Have to say Doug, the back of the case is shiny and smooth and could be a bit slippery.
    Will update when it has been fitted and I find out about the owner of the phone thinks.

I have the case as well, and have had no problems of it slipping out of my hand.
    The glass, I haven't used yet, but it has adhesive for the full front. (Or use's a static process to remain attached rather than glue). Using the one that came from honorbuy.

Edit: - The glass has plastic frame, with only the screen part been harder plastic/glass.

Also ask the mods to put a message about ARP in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Are there any issues with the brightness of the screen on this phone? Seen a few images with the brightness turned up and didn't look great. Also, anyone using this phone on Eir in Ireland? Any issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone found a good flip cover , preferably with a magnetic closure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 doylerevo

Well guys and girls.

I'm wondering anyone move from the Samsung galaxy s6 to the Xiaomi redmi note 5 if so what they think on the camera. Going to order one if it's nearly as good as the s6 camera.

Thanks ðŸ‘

wiz569 wrote: »
    Can you not just touch the area with your finger to jump?

I find it tricky sometimes & am use to the arrows.

I'll give the gboard a chance anyway, it's predictive text is impressive.

OP update with MIUI 10 Oreo's Anti-rollback Protection warning.

Thanks to our moderator @Davy :cool:

Any browser with URL bar that you can place on bottom of the screen?

Any browser with URL bar that you can place on bottom of the screen?

Chrome use to have a flag you could set to do that, no longer available in latest versions. You could downgrade or install an older version.

Apk: - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/chrome/chrome-65-0-3325-109-release/

Instructions: - https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/move-chromes-address-bar-bottom-your-screen-android-0176946/

Recommendations for browser with bottom address bar?

Xiaomi.eu MIUI 10 8.7.12 v2 has the firmware removed from the rom so not to trigger ARP!

For those feeling adventurous? [semi-GSI] Android P Developer Preview
    EXPERIMENTAL AND MOST LIKELY BROKEN

[XDA][ROM][P][PORTED][semi-GSI] Android P Developer Preview

I use my device as a daily driver, so not prepared to experiment yet, maybe when Stable GSI is made available.

corkie wrote: »
    OP update with MIUI 10 Oreo's Anti-rollback Protection warning.

Thanks to our moderator @Davy :cool:

Thanks Corkie.

Also important to point out that the next OTA version should be Stable 9.5.19 which will include Anti Rollback Protection.
    So be aware and don't update if you want root and play around with ROMS

Personally after hearing this I've requested my unlock and will stay on 9.5.17 until I get my bootloader unlocked and root it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

So I have the phone two weeks and the inevitable happened. It took a fall.... With no case on it......

Thankfully it landed on its back and only took two small dints.... Screen is perfect.

Gotta get a case..... Do we know if anyone can replace the screens on these bad boys... Just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

In Madrid at the moment and went into one of the Mi stores with the Mrs just to have a look at the handset and for her to pick a colour. Pricing was €200 for the 3GB version and €249 for the 4GB version. I will probably just buy from Honorbuy when I get back home, but nice to hold a handset and play around with it before buying.

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »

I passed the cover recommended here it does fit very nice, is extremely Slim. It does feel a bit sleepy but doesn't slip if that makes sense. I'm still not fully convinced it'll survive a fall but hopefully it would!

The case I bought fits okay . The phone users opinion is that it has made his phone noticeably heavier.

FirstSeed wrote: »
    good phone, but i prefered to Xiaomi S2

Trying to increase your post count are something?

Stop spamming threads with one-liners.

Post in test forums instead: - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone is this the right one to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

doylerevo wrote: »
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone is this the right one to buy?

Or the 3g /32gb global version

doylerevo wrote: »

Sounds correct! Maybe post a link from where your getting it?

Most people on this thread get it from Honorbuy.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone Black
    €186.99 + €22 Shipping

If you add enough extra's like screen protectors to your order to bring it over €200 (not including shipping), you can get €5 off with "KIMOVIL" code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Have one of these for a couple of weeks now & fairly happy so far.
    I can't seem to get the incoming message alert to activate however.
    I have selected the tone etc & in settings my selection is acknowledged but there is no sound when I get a message, anyone any ideas ?
    Probably missing something obvious.

corkie wrote: »
    Sounds correct! Maybe post a link from where your getting it?

Most people on this thread get it from Honorbuy.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Official Global Version Smartphone Black
    €186.99 + €22 Shipping

If you add enough extra's like screen protectors to your order to bring it over €200 (not including shipping), you can get €5 off with "KIMOVIL" code.

thanks for the quick reply
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1389-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-blue.html
    getting two screen protectors with it :) knowing my luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Any recommendations for specific covers not from Amazon? Ahm torn between getting full flip cover or just a screen protector. Also for those buying your note 5 off honorbuy, I also got the suggested screen protector and it shattered. Rather that than my phone! But it didn't look like it took much.

Official LineageOS 15.1 now available!

lineage-15.1-20180717-nightly-whyred-signed.zip

SHA256: - f26195caa4eef78ef195feca6748d34db8f6dec7c5ec851a6af828fe64846a5c

https://download.lineageos.org/whyred

Edit: -
    Things to do before flashing:

BACKUP everything.
    If users are encryped you can just follow the flashing instruction
    If users have decrypted. it will not boot. You will have to encrypt
    Flashing instruction for NON ENCRYPTED USERS:

You have 2 options
    Either stay decrypted by flashing lazy flasher after flashing rom everytime
    https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=890129502657590339

What is unclear is if you can run the rom decrypted?

[XDA] LineageOS 15.1 [OFFICIAL][8.1.0][Treble][Weekly]

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for specific covers not from Amazon? Ahm torn between getting full flip cover or just a screen protector. Also for those buying your note 5 off honorbuy, I also got the suggested screen protector and it shattered. Rather that than my phone! But it didn't look like it took much.

I had a flip cover on a previous Samsung, took a nose dive off the couch, flip cover flipped open and it landed flat down on the floor and screen got scratched. Could have cried.

Also found little bits got in under the flip cover and also scratched the screen. Never used one of them again

Screen protector + case all the way for me

That said I've ordered the gkk case corkie recommended, never used one of them before hopefully it'll do the job

• Advertisement

I've received a number of interesting cases to date (5), all with different pros/cons (all back cases, no flip).

Will post some pics and opinions when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Here's the red bumper version of the GKK case...

The ends are raised slightly above the level of the screen so I suspect is provides good all round protection, especially when combined with tempered glass.

Black back is smooth but not slippy and has nice feel to it.

BEtBSK.jpg
    fQDiO9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Here's the red bumper version of the GKK case...

The ends are raised slightly above the level of the screen so I suspect is provides good all round protection, especially when combined with tempered glass.

Black back is smooth but not slippy and has nice feel to it.

BEtBSK.jpg
    fQDiO9.jpg

Hi just wondering the top and bottom pieces do they leave Marks or scratches on the back or front of the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I've a GKK case ( all black ) with a honor buy tempered glass screen protector. No marks on the phone at all.

I've a spare flip case now if anyone wants it ?

Hi just wondering the top and bottom pieces do they leave Marks or scratches on the back or front of the phone?
    ryaner777 wrote: »
    I've a GKK case ( all black ) with a honor buy tempered glass screen protector. No marks on the phone at all.

The top/bottom pieces fit over the glass protector if you have it and they don't touch the back. (Slip over the main back part.)

Made of plastic, so I don't know how they would mark the phone anyway.

Case pics #1
    All in back and front.
    All case photos taken with Moto G5 Plus (sorry I'm not a photographer!)

Case pics 2 - gel carbon fibre style.
    https://m.gearbest.com/goods/pp_009269593818.html?lang=en&wid=1433363&utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ord
    Really like this case great value for money.
    Not slippy in hand.
    Minimal and light.
    Good level of rear camera lip protection.
    Fantastic looking!
    Only a minimal amount of lip protection along the front side, and barely any at that. None on the top/bottom front as the edge is flush with the screen, possibly even a mill below the screen on the bottom

(Just noticed case isn't on right on one bottom corner, sorry my fault and not the case!)

Case pics #3
    This from Amazon.co.uk (all others from Gearbest)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B5WG3GN/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
    Needed to be delivered to a UK address.
    Brand: Simspeak

This case is the most protective I have.
    Has already protected my phone from a 5 foot fall onto concrete, landed on its back.
    A little chunkier than the others due to this.
    Very good grip due to small horizontal lines on the back.
    Probably one of the best for front lip protection.
    I really like this one feels good in the hand.

Case pics # 4...onto the reds!
    https://m.gearbest.com/goods/pp_009776111293.html?wid=1433363&utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ord
    This one is a simple gel case.
    Doesn't really add much grip, only slightly better than the naked phone.
    No front lip protection that I can tell.
    Minimal and light.
    Back lip protection for the camera.
    Edit: colour is like "Liverpool red" and I reckon would like really good with the white front.

Case pics #5.
    https://m.gearbest.com/goods/pp_009775221794.html?wid=1433363&utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ord
    This one is a hard red case.
    Very good grip, kind of feels sticky in the hand, but not in an uncomfortable way.
    Very little front lip protection, possiblity none on top/bottom and minimal on the sides.
    Again provides rear camera lip protection.
    The red colour is almost metallic looking but is soft to the touch.
    I like this one except for the lack of front lip, but that might not bother some.
    Recommended this one if all you want is to add grip.
    Edit: red is deep yet very bright in a shiny metallic sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement