Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

so - anyone elses phone super slow at chargin? left it on charge overnight for 7 hours and it only charged 45 percent.
    anything i can do to speed it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

so - anyone elses phone super slow at chargin? left it on charge overnight for 7 hours and it only charged 45 percent.
    anything i can do to speed it up?

Check your charger and cables. At max it should take 3 Hours to fully charge using a standard charger. (or that the cable was connected properly).

Use ampere: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&hl=en

When charging to see if your getting a proper charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Is there any way to change the size of the icons at the top of screen ie time, network, 4g, wifi etc. They're tiny. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Settings > additional settings > accessibility > screen size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

biebiebie wrote: »
    Settings > additional settings > accessibility > screen size

Thanks, will have a look when I'm home. I can increase the general font size but not the top of the screen. Can't see whether I'm on wifi or what, nor battery left etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

So I smashed my 2 year old Redmi Note 3 and had it repaired but its not the same :( Performance is still great but its acting up since the screen replacement. Am trying to decide do I want the Redmi Note 5 or wait for the A2? What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Got myself a Note 5 a short time ago and I love it. Best bang for buck you can get at the moment I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

tnegun wrote: »
    So I smashed my 2 year old Redmi Note 3 and had it repaired but its not the same :( Performance is still great but its acting up since the screen replacement. Am trying to decide do I want the Redmi Note 5 or wait for the A2? What do you guys think?

Bigger battery on Note5 wins every time for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ordered Monday 1530, got it Wednesday 1330 - Honorbuy
    22 quid well spent on DHL (no choice actually)
    Cheaper on eglobal (due to max about 4e postage) but maybe can take a week or so to arrive

A bit half-half on MIUI - I've installed Nova and all good

It's fantastic for around 200e all in

Not too bothered about ARP
    Haven't rooted a phone since 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Can only agree - ordered the Note 5 in the morning on Monday and had it at 10.30 am on Tuesday - Honorbuy as well. Been playing with it ever since and love it. First full battery charge lasted about 1 1/2 days with a lot of use.
    I like MIUI as well, a lot was new to me (like split screens, recent apps, etc) as I came from stock Android 5.1. So far I don't see any need to root. Only thing I'd like to change is the tiny size of the notification bar - just a little bit bigger would be nice.
    Screen is clear and vibrant, camera is perfectly fine for my needs and the slightly smaller but longer form factor is so much easier to handle one-handed.
    I chose Xiaomi also because its one of the most well-known chinese brands with a sizable community - so there is much more chance of support than for the lesser known and smaller chinese brands I'd been using so far.

morgana wrote: »
    Can only agree - ordered the Note 5 in the morning on Monday and had it at 10.30 am on Tuesday - Honorbuy as well. Been playing with it ever since and love it. First full battery charge lasted about 1 1/2 days with a lot of use.
    I like MIUI as well, a lot was new to me (like split screens, recent apps, etc) as I came from stock Android 5.1. So far I don't see any need to root. Only thing I'd like to change is the tiny size of the notification bar - just a little bit bigger would be nice.
    Screen is clear and vibrant, camera is perfectly fine for my needs and the slightly smaller but longer form factor is so much easier to handle one-handed.
    I chose Xiaomi also because its one of the most well-known chinese brands with a sizable community - so there is much more chance of support than for the lesser known and smaller chinese brands I'd been using so far.

Yeah I was reading your post about how quick it came, didn't think I'd be that lucky but I suppose 22e postage makes that come true :)
    I'd take MIUI but can't see a way around no app drawer and only 4 launch icons

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yeah I was reading your post about how quick it came, didn't think I'd be that lucky but I suppose 22e postage makes that come true :)

Install a custom launcher?

I use the XDA Labs provided version of this: -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-ruthless-pixel-launcher-based-t3755903

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As posted above, just download your launcher of choice from the play store. I use ADW which is a bit old school - like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i stuck on nova launcher...and s9 theme from xiaomi theme store and s9 icons...i like how it looks, and nova is super fast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Ordered Monday 1530, got it Wednesday 1330 - Honorbuy
    22 quid well spent on DHL (no choice actually)
    Cheaper on eglobal (due to max about 4e postage) but maybe can take a week or so to arrive

A bit half-half on MIUI - I've installed Nova and all good

It's fantastic for around 200e all in

Not too bothered about ARP
    Haven't rooted a phone since 2015

Do you get tracking info from honour buy to know when delivery will take place?

DHL tracking - you know the day of delivery but not the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ordred R note 5 pro off honorbuy early afternoon wednesday , delivered this am in the sticks in the midwest

quick set up & sync. with my google a/c and fairly impressed , mainly 5G wifi and mobile data seem way faster than my redmi 4x.

not overily worried about camera but seems good (at least for my needs)

corkie wrote: »
    Install a custom launcher?

I use the XDA Labs provided version of this: -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-ruthless-pixel-launcher-based-t3755903

yep I use Nova - I would leave it at MIUI launcher but no customising and no app drawer

• Advertisement

Just for **** and giggles :P
    Came across this one in a German android forum and it seems to work well: an adapter to allow 2 sims AND an SD card. Tempted to give it a try. You would need to use a soft or flexible cover though as the second sim card would be outside the phone. People are reporting it has been working without issues for a long time.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dual-SIM-Card-Adapter-Duos-Converter-for-Samsung-S7-S7-Edge-Android-XIAOMI-Good/182716384471?hash=item2a8abec4d7:m:mzcR6RctJ32LWp1n3lGWA5Q

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is this phone better than the Note 4?. I followed some advice here last year and made the purchase. Very happy with the phone and wondering if an upgrade is worth it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bought another RN5 - GV this morning - Gold coloured 4 x 64GB . €185 all in delivered .

Anyone got link to a decent cover - will be used by female changing over from an S6.
    Don't think the GKK would do in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Autochange wrote: »
    Is this phone better than the Note 4?. I followed some advice here last year and made the purchase. Very happy with the phone and wondering if an upgrade is worth it.
    Thanks

I am not tempted. I will wait for the Note 6 or 7 & gloat over the 5 owners :pac:

I am still very happy with my Note 4.

Came across this one in a German android forum and it seems to work well: an adapter to allow 2 sims AND an SD card. Tempted to give it a try. You would need to use a soft or flexible cover though as the second sim card would be outside the phone. People are reporting it has been working without issues for a long time.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dual-SIM-Card-Adapter-Duos-Converter-for-Samsung-S7-S7-Edge-Android-XIAOMI-Good/182716384471?hash=item2a8abec4d7:m:mzcR6RctJ32LWp1n3lGWA5Q

I've read about these before.
    Quite popular in India from what I can remember.
    Any price or idea where they bought them from?
    Was it that eBay link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I've read about these before.
    Quite popular in India from what I can remember.
    Any price or idea where they bought them from?
    Was it that eBay link

Its on Amazon for £1.99

• Advertisement

[XDA][Magisk] [Module] Mi A2 Ported camera for Whyred custom roms

For custom rom users, if you have the Magisk Mi A1 Port already installed, remove it before hand and wipe caches in TWRP.

Also contrary to instructions in the thread, you may need to install the module from TWRP and not magisk manager.

Took the afternoon, to debug problems with install and get the app running. So haven't put it through a quality of photos test yet.

Alternatively (Another dev port):-

[XDA][Magisk][Module][Updated from mi A2] MIUI Stock Camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone experiencing headphone socket issue? I believe it's only recent for me, I'm on 9.5. 19.0 and android 8.1.opm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing headphone socket issue? I believe it's only recent for me, I'm on 9.5. 19.0 and android 8.1.opm
    RHJ wrote: »

I had an unusual one - Headphones working fine, but 3.5mm lead I use to connect to a portable speaker wasn't working (tried several different leads)..

Couldn't find anything in the settings (Resurrection Remix rom)..

Eventually fixed by installing an app called Audio Router
    Audio Router let you re-route sound like music,in call, system to other hardware,even if hardware is unplugged.
    Route Sound to Bluetooth,Audio Jack,In-build speaker,headphone

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

Screen protector for redmi note 5 cracked somehow in my bag. Cheap on honorbuy at €1.69 but postage is steep at €11. Anyone know somewhere in Dublin that sells them or would someone have a spare one for sale please?

• Advertisement

Updating Modem, Bluetooth and DSP! ~~~ Without triggering ARP on WHYRED!

For anyone on customs rom and need to updated the above partitions?

The commands to flash them in fastboot are: -
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin

I just created a bat file (windows) with the above content.

Al I need do in future is download a firmware from here, extract the three files and place the bat file in the same folder, and run it.
    ^^^ Note I have adb/fastboot setup with a global path in windows.

Haven't tested in operation yet but in theory should work. I'm on 8.7.5 Beta firmware at present and see no need to update until the custom rom in use requires update files.

Above 3 files have been reported safe to flash (XDA), without effecting the bootloader, so not to trigger ARP.

First two files are self explained.

DSP (Digital Signal Processor)

[INFO] ANDROID DEVICE PARTITIONS and FILESYSTEMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

corkie wrote: »
    Updating Modem, Bluetooth and DSP! ~~~ Without triggering ARP on WHYRED!

For anyone on customs rom and need to updated the above partitions?

The commands to flash them in fastboot are: -
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin

I just created a bat file (windows) with the above content.

Al I need do in future is download a firmware from here, extract the three files and place the bat file in the same folder, and run it.
    ^^^ Note I have adb/fastboot setup with a global path in windows.

Haven't tested in operation yet but in theory should work. I'm on 8.7.5 Beta firmware at present and see no need to update until the custom rom in use requires update files.

Above 3 files have been reported safe to flash (XDA), without effecting the bootloader, so not to trigger ARP.

First two files are self explained.

DSP (Digital Signal Processor)

[INFO] ANDROID DEVICE PARTITIONS and FILESYSTEMS

On Resurrection Remix here corkie, same as yourself I think..
    Won't claim to understand what the above means - new to custom ROMs - last phone I just unlocked the bootloader, so was way behind on Android security updates..

Very happy with the way the phone is running, so I'll only update if it becomes necessary.
    Thanks for keeping the thread informed - would appreciate if you could highlight if / when any security issues needing software updates come to light..

@UsedToWait

I only update the rom when it has the latest Security Patches applied to the rom.

It can usually take a week/two for the patches to be applied to AOSP roms. For example last months was posted by google on 2nd, but delayed a week to AOSP. And RR had them applied by the 17th version of the rom.

As far as updating firmware, that only needs to be update if your experiencing problems with Modem (LTE/Calls), Bluetooth or DSP (as in above post).

If you have view signatures enabled, I usually update mine when I flash an update rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

RHJ wrote: »
    What issue with the headphone jack you are experiencing?

It doesn't recognise that there's headphone cable plugged in. Tried with 3 different headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Finally bought one of these yesterday. Hoping for delivery tomorrow/Wednesday. Bought a GKK case off Amazon for it.

Anti-Rollback feature Explained! How to be safe? Can you flash ROMS/Update your device?

English speaking video [Indian accent, I think]

Bought one of these from AliExpress.
    Will probably take 3-4 weeks to deliver.
    I'll post a follow-up when I've tried it out.
    I have a 128GB card sitting at home from my previous phone which I'll try out with my 2 nano SIMs.

Yea I have one on order too - will probably take another week or two - will also report back of course. Currently using one sim and one SD card.

Some phone for 183 euro. Rediculous. Feel like it's 4 or 3 times that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Finally bought one of these yesterday. Hoping for delivery tomorrow/Wednesday. Bought a GKK case off Amazon for it.

where did you get the GKK case on amazon?

thanks
    W.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

Hi,
    I just ordered the phone there now on Honor Buy but realised that I ordered the Chinese version instead of the global one. I don't seem to have an option to change order now as payment accepted. Is there much of a difference or should I try and contact them ?

Ok just managed to change the order there with them now.. Panic averted..

Rooted mine last night before any Anti Rollback OTA was installed (long 2 weeks wait!).

Installed Red Wolf recovery from XDA.

Then installed xiaomi.eu MIUI 10 weeklies, and loving it.
    MIUI 10 is a nice visual improvement over 9.

Plus they added a gaming mode (Game Speed Booster) so it'll clear memory and set DND when you play a game that you've added in GSB. Handy if you game a lot.

Hopefully no major bugs... Haven't noticed any yet!

Plus they added a gaming mode (Game Speed Booster) so it'll clear memory and set DND when you play a game that you've added in GSB. Handy if you game a lot.

Use to use that when I was on xiaomi.eu on Kenzo, only downside it is inbuilt

Cheetah mobile app, along with the Cleaner inbuilt app.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Ordered one of these on Tuesday night and received this morning in Dublin via Honorbuy. Incredible really!

One issue I'm having is with the headphone jack. It's noticeably smaller than the one on a Samsung phone I have here but I've seen that on Chinese phones before where the earphone doesn't fit exactly the same.

Edit: there is almost no output via earphone unless earphone is adjusted. Used an app to force audio to headphone and also no better.

Are there some earphones more suitable for Xiaomi than others or is it more likely the jack is faulty?

If anyone has any suggestions of a brand of earphone I'll try some later.

Certainly an impressive phone for the money!

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I had a look at the note 4 Vs note 5 on a spec comparison site. Is the note 4 actually better than the 5?

With the headphone volume. It's noticeably louder when you set the region to North Korea. But I end up with North Korean time then! Is there any fix around this? I could change the timezone manually I suppose but I wonder are there any other effects of having the region set to NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

With the headphone volume. It's noticeably louder when you set the region to North Korea. But I end up with North Korean time then! Is there any fix around this? I could change the timezone manually I suppose but I wonder are there any other effects of having the region set to NK.

In date and time settings select to set it automatically from the network

I've mine set to North Korea, haven't seen any issues

Try Switzerland?
    Not sure about the time, but the volume isn't restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Autochange wrote: »
    I had a look at the note 4 Vs note 5 on a spec comparison site. Is the note 4 actually better than the 5?

I think my old note4x was a faster better phone.
    Im sick I sold it. I'll just ship on the rn5 when the next best thing comes along from Xiaomi

• Advertisement

nigwerwig wrote: »
    I think my old note4x was a faster better phone.
    Im sick I sold it. I'll just ship on the rn5 when the next best thing comes along from Xiaomi
    The 4X has an older and slower Snapdragon 625 and Adreno 506 series GPU.

The RN5 Pro has the newer SD 636, albeit it's about 10% less battery efficient. However the trade off is a faster chipset and better Adreno 509 GPU.

I'm sure there are a plethora of articles and videos on YouTube with the relevent benchmarks and real life difference.

Advertisement