Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I keep getting a blue Square and the screen being magnified.....if that makes sense.

How can I get rid of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Settings > Additional settings > Accessibility > Magnification gestures.
    Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

biebiebie wrote: »
    The 4X has an older and slower Snapdragon 625 and Adreno 506 series GPU.

The RN5 Pro has the newer SD 636, albeit it's about 10% less battery efficient. However the trade off is a faster chipset and better Adreno 509 GPU.

I'm sure there are a plethora of articles and videos on YouTube with the relevent benchmarks and real life difference.

Yeah I know all the specs but the rn5 is slower I never seen a load sign on the 4x and I get in most apps now . I hope it's fixed in a update it's just slow or I'm I missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Yeah I know all the specs but the rn5 is slower I never seen a load sign on the 4x and I get in most apps now . I hope it's fixed in a update it's just slow or I'm I missing something

I'm definitely seeing nothing like that it's lightening quick compared to any of my older phones. Unless you've put something on that resource heavy? Or continually rumning in the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,

Anyone recommend an inexpensive car mount? Car doesn't have blue-tooth & wt

I know many mounts fix to the air vent but in my car/Saab 93 I don't think most fit.
    saab-93-interior-1.html#gal_post_23237_saab-93-interior-1.jpg

http://autowpaper.com/saab-93-interior-1.html#gal_post_23237_saab-93-interior-1.jpg

Ideally one that'd fit to the rectungular area above the 4 vertical buttons, to the left of the LCD panel and right of steering wheel.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

ImARebel wrote: »
    I'm definitely seeing nothing like that it's lightening quick compared to any of my older phones. Unless you've put something on that resource heavy? Or continually rumning in the background?

I run very little one the phone no fb or apps like that. Iv been checking the background apps and not much has popped up. Just say on YouTube when I pick a video it will have a load screen for a second before the video pops up. I test the two phones next to each other no lag on the 4x.
    I'm going to go through the phone today and get rid of everything I don't use and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I run very little one the phone no fb or apps like that. Iv been checking the background apps and not much has popped up. Just say on YouTube when I pick a video it will have a load screen for a second before the video pops up. I test the two phones next to each other no lag on the 4x.
    I'm going to go through the phone today and get rid of everything I don't use and see if it makes a difference

If all else fails, I'd recommend Resurrection Remix ROM, with a minimal Google Apps installation (e.g. Gapps Nano).
    That's what I'm using and the phone hasn't lagged in any way since I got it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭corkie

How to Flash Custom ROMs & MIUI ROMs on Antirollback enabled device! TWRP installation guide.

RHJ wrote: »
    This is probably the simplest way to get rid of all the bloatware on the phone: -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/debloat

Edited your link to the direct site, without google redirect.

Try a factory reset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Small complaint but is anyone else's notification light poor? Only a feint white light for me. Not RGB.

Also, when using the FM radio through an AUX cable it more often than not plays out through the loudspeaker. Can't get my head around that one.

Edit: Not sure why I've quoted a post above. Sorry.

Small complaint but is anyone else's notification light poor? Only a feint white light for me. Not RGB.

Also, when using the FM radio through an AUX cable it more often than not plays out through the loudspeaker. Can't get my head around that one.

Edit: Not sure why I've quoted a post above. Sorry.

Guys i confirm we do not have RGB LED.
    It is just a white LED so using apps is useless.
    Redmi note 5 and Redmi note 5 pro both have the same white single colour LED.
    So it is not a software issue or software limitation but it is seriously absent.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75829159&postcount=19

As for the FM Radio app, is there not an option to choose where the sound plays inside the app? On RR/LOS i have that, don't know about MIUI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi again,

Anyone recommend an inexpensive car mount? Car doesn't have blue-tooth & wt

I know many mounts fix to the air vent but in my car/Saab 93 I don't think most fit.
    saab-93-interior-1.html#gal_post_23237_saab-93-interior-1.jpg

http://autowpaper.com/saab-93-interior-1.html#gal_post_23237_saab-93-interior-1.jpg

Ideally one that'd fit to the rectungular area above the 4 vertical buttons, to the left of the LCD panel and right of steering wheel.

Thanks,
    Pa.

I use one of these and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072SL74GY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Right my RN5 arrived there last week , it came with a clear cover but need to get a screen protector and maybe new case what seems to be the best users on here have got?

glic83 wrote: »
    Right my RN5 arrived there last week , it came with a clear cover but need to get a screen protector and maybe new case what seems to be the best users on here have got?

@biebiebie did a review of a number of cases from here.

I have this one and quite happy with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107122553

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106697297&postcount=29

glic83 wrote:

I got this fella off amazon. Very happy with it. Its neat, feels good in the had and comes with a screen protector that is far better than the honorbuy ones.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case,2ndSpring Redmi Note 5 Pro Cover Ultra-thin 3in1 360 Degrees Full Body Plastic Hard Case Skin Shockproof Shell with Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Protective Rubber Light Gel Tough Case Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C156228/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oniABb299A5A4

Cheers lads, yeah that case looks solid so will go for that, I've the global edition but seems to be a few different variants of pro , plus etc once they fit the phone I don't mind

glic83 wrote: »
    Cheers lads, yeah that case looks solid so will go for that, I've the global edition but seems to be a few different variants of pro , plus etc once they fit the phone I don't mind

For some reason could not reply to your PM: -
    glic83 wrote:
    Cheers corkie, that case looks perfect, quick question if you don't mind, I had a look at the link, I've the global RN5 4gb/64 but looking at covers there seems to be 3 holes on the top part of the cover, 1 to the left of speaker and 2 to the right my phone would only require a cut out 1 either side of the speaker, so would the Global version be the correct one to order?

There should be four holes, including the Tiny one.

Camera, Flash Light, Proximity Sensor and LED.

The Proximity Sensor is not that obvious.

It is suitable for any version of the WHYRED device.

Hopefully you don't have Redmi 5 Plus (RN5 India) which is a different device labeled VINCE.

donegal. wrote: »

Cheers, ordered it

corkie wrote: »

Cheers lads ordered that, thanks, great information as always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I second (3rd, lol) the gkk case, I have it and think it's great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I was going to buy a mi a2 . (a good camera is my main criteria)

Is eglobal central alright to buy from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I was going to buy a mi a2 . (a good camera is my main criteria)

Is eglobal central alright to buy from?

As long as its definitely in stock, you shouldn't have too many problems. ordered from them before, more good experiences then bad at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

Honorbuy have the MI A2 in stock now. Have to say I'm really tempted, it was this or the Note 5, and I was kinda holding out for the A2

https://www.honorbuy.com/1453-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bought the A2 from eglobal a week ago and it arrived with DPD today but I'm away for a week so won't see it till Saturday was in stock so took 5/6 business days to arrive

tnegun wrote: »
    Bought the A2 from eglobal a week ago and it arrived with DPD today but I'm away for a week so won't see it till Saturday was in stock so took 5/6 business days to arrive

Damn! Was hoping to hear some feedback on it from someone that had it !!! :D:D Enjoy !!

Android Pie 9.0 GSI On Redmi Note 5 Pro || How To Install || It's Amazing

Okay, WHYRED is my current daily driver, and not prepared to experiment on it yet.
    Maybe when reports of stable Pie with working Gcam/Mi A2 ports, xposed etc. I will try it out.

For other Mi A2 Fanboys, can I remind you this thread is for WHYRED. Comparisons are fine, but please don't fill this thread with off topic posts.

Mi A2/Lite thread here!

For other Mi A2 Fanboys, can I remind you this thread is for WHYRED. Comparisons are fine, but please don't fill this thread with off topic posts.

Mi A2/Lite thread here! [/QUOTE]

Oops sorry, my fault, I've gone to the other thread, thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

ImARebel wrote: »
    I second (3rd, lol) the gkk case, I have it and think it's great

I loved my GKK case when it arrived a few weeks ago. But after using it with a car phone holder over the past week, the paint has started to peel off the black back and also the red bumper. I think its a combination of the friction with the holder and cold air coming from the aircon vent it is mounted on.

Very poor quality, but then again, it only cost a few quid, so might even buy again, but just not use it in the car holder.

43005493405_c5071cf7ba_n.jpg43005495845_e03c615121_n.jpg

• Advertisement

@captain_boycott At least your case protected your device from that user abuse. Doing it's job.

My similar case is holding up fine. Just a dent from a fall on the bottom piece.

Even my Kenzo case (Dec. 16 2016) is only scuffed on the side from holding it. + Crack in the corner from changing the battery.

corkie wrote: »
    @captain_boycott At least your case protected your device from that user abuse. Doing it's job.

My similar case is holding up fine. Just a dent from a fall on the bottom piece.

Even my Kenzo case (Dec. 16 2016) is only scuffed on the side from holding it. + Crack in the corner from changing the battery.

@Corkie Great to hear your cases are performing so well but does not change the fact that the paint is peeling off my GKK case after only 2 weeks of use!

At any rate, I've ordered the ZNP 360 Degree Case, will report back when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

@Corkie Great to hear your cases are performing so well but does not change the fact that the paint is peeling off my GKK case after only 2 weeks of use!

At any rate, I've ordered the ZNP 360 Degree Case, will report back when it arrives.

Just curious have you tried contacting the seller on aliexpress and show them the picture? Just to see what they reply with. Don't know if there is such a thing as a warranty on this kind of item. They may even send you a free replacement. Unlikely. :(

yeah Corkie, I probably should contact them, but it only cost €4 so I guess you get what you pay for, will suck it up!:)

Incidentally 2 screen protectors arrived yesterday from Aliexpress. First I tried was the WhaY 5D glass @ €6.45. It looked great, decent thickness to provide some shock absorption, with a real nice rounded edge look and was very impressively fingerprint resistant. However It refused to adhere to the screen without leaving air bubbles, no dust trapped, just a lack of coating to provide a proper stick - so much for their "nano-automatic absorption!. It was a perfect fit and easy to align, so disappointed by the bubbles as it would have been perfect otherwise. Maybe others might have better luck with it.

Next I tried a 2.5D 9H tempered glass @ €2.13. This is interesting as it is just clear glass without a white or black surround. Due to its design it was a little more tricky to align than the WhaY, however fit was good and it installed perfectly without any bubbles. It comes with a liquid to remove gaps at the edges but I've not bothered to use it as the gap is almost invisible anyways. For a third of the price the 2.5D 9H glass gets my vote.

Just one more protector, the TOBOCLOO, has yet to arrive, will post when I get it.

I have a very disappointed lady here today with RN5 . The camera on Snapchat is simply not good enough and is zoomed in compared to her Samsung S6.

She's handed it back to me for this reason alone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Uninstall snapchat and return now the problem has been solved.

I have a very disappointed lady here today with RN5 . The camera on Snapchat is simply not good enough and is zoomed in compared to her Samsung S6.

In the camera app, go to settings and change "camera frame" to 4:3 to get to zoom similar to the S6

In the camera app, go to settings and change "camera frame" to 4:3 to get to zoom similar to the S6

Grassey

Uninstall snapchat and return now the problem has been solved.

tried all this - nothing changes

tried all this - nothing changes

Really? Can you elaborate on what you tried?

I must admit that the camera on my Snapchat seems to be zoomed in slightly too. The picture quality isn't good with this app either for some strange reason. Takes an entirely different photo than the stock camera app.

Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The picture quality isn't good with this app either for some strange reason. Takes an entirely different photo than the stock camera app.

I've noticed the same with WhatsApp that pictures taken in app are crap compared to those taken with the stock camera app. But that's an issue I noticed even on previous phones.

Android Pie 9.0 Full Review On Redmi Note 5 Pro! Worth Trying?

Main thing I took from that so far is there is problems with camera ports.

Even with not using the camera much on my device, still not ready for me to flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭2forjoy

Anyone know why the brightness level moves downwards of its own accord ?

Auto brightness must be set?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭2forjoy

biebiebie wrote: »
    Auto brightness must be set?

well it sure was . cheers

how to use dual sim and memory card same time note 5 pro

^^^ Use this at your own risk!

Possible stuck sim tray or what happens if the sdcard get's faulty, how do you put it in an adapter etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So the power button on mine has failed. Completely unresponsive, so will have to contact Honorbuy about getting it repaired under warranty.

Received this (got 2 in the pack!) and installed it- love it. Thanks.

Pixel Experience🍮 Pie 9.0 ROM On Redmi Note 5 Pro || How To Install | Guide

[XDA][ROM][9.0][whyred] Pixel Experience [AOSP][r1][2018/08/16]

Pixel Experience PIE 9.0 Full Review On Redmi Note 5 Pro [60FPS]

^^^ Followup video to the previous video!

• Advertisement
Advertisement