Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

b.gud wrote: »
    Yep I've been using it pretty much since I got it and it's been flawless

brilliant thanks - i think i might have a go of that rom soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Note 5 I bought from Gearbest got stuck in customs I paid $149 for it anyone got a rough idea what the customs charge will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Note 5 I bought from Gearbest got stuck in customs I paid $149 for it anyone got a rough idea what the customs charge will be?

About $35 including their handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

I bought this phone from 3 and I'm guessing it's locked to that carrier. Has anyone unlocked this phone before so it can be used by any carrier. And if so how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

kevin306 wrote: »
    I bought this phone from 3 and I'm guessing it's locked to that carrier. Has anyone unlocked this phone before so it can be used by any carrier. And if so how?

On the now closed three forum they said it wasn't locked to the network.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/108573319

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

corkie wrote: »

Oh great thanks for that.

yeah, mine wasnt locked - quite happily using my Tesco Mobile bill pay SIM in mine now since new from 3 - I belive the Xiamo's are the only handsets in the Three store that are unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

They're not network locked, have bought 3 from the Three stores and all using different network sim cards from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does it lock to the first network?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Esel wrote: »
    Does it lock to the first network?
    Wouldn't have thought so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Bought this phone for my wife, but can't get any step counter apps working on it. She normally uses the Samsung health app but this didn't work so she tried a different one and it didn't count the steps either.
    Could be something in settings but can't see anything.
    Any ideas?

wilser wrote: »
    Bought this phone for my wife, but can't get any step counter apps working on it. She normally uses the Samsung health app but this didn't work so she tried a different one and it didn't count the steps either.
    Any ideas?

I wouldn't expect it to do step counter personally because its not a samsung phone :)

it might work with its own mi band watch though I dont know. Three store was selling a Redmi 6 mi band bundle just before christmas there in their stores and online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I wouldn't expect it to personally because its not a samsung phone :)

it might work with its own mi band watch though I dont know. Three store was selling a Redmi 6 mi band bundle just before christmas there in their stores and online

Yes, it works fine with my mi band 3, just d/l the mi fit app from play store.

/quote]

The samsung app works on other android phones. Always used it on my motorola ;-)

bodonnell wrote: »
    Yes, it works fine with my mi band 3, just d/l the mi fit app from play store.

Will try this, thanks. Do I need the to pick up a mi band or does it work without it?

/quote]

The samsung app works on other android phones. Always used it on my motorola ;-)

ah right I see - so has the other phones maybe got to have the extra hardware in it for the app to work?

like I know the Samsung S6 has got the heart rate monitor sensor at the back where the camera is - but the Xaoimi hasnt built that hardware into their phone.

It would be like trying to use a NFC app on the Xaoimi phone, it wont work because it hasnt got NFC on this phone :)

ah right I see - so has the other phones maybe got to have the extra hardware in it for the app to work?

like I know the Samsung S6 has got the heart rate monitor sensor at the back where the camera is - but the Xaoimi hasnt built that hardware into their phone.

It would be like trying to use a NFC app on the Xaoimi phone, it wont work because it hasnt got NFC on this phone :)

Only ever used the Samsung health app for step counting and it worked grand on a Motorola g4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Will try this, thanks. Do I need the to pick up a mi band or does it work without it?

Don't know if it will work on other phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Since the latest update my phone seems to take longer to open the unlock screen .. normally i press the power button and the screen lights up I enter my pattern for unlock and that's that

Now I seem to press the button and there is about a 3 second delay before I can enter my pattern , not a lot I know but it wasn't like that before update . I use the phone alot throughout the day so it gets annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Any ideas?

I use Google fit

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Have phone since July with no issues. I think since the last update some apps are freezing on me. I'm guessing a factory reset won't do anything. I read somewhere to flash it. Any ideas where to get this done? Local Chineseshop or anyone in particular in Dublin. Thanks in advance.

robie5 wrote: »
    Have phone since July with no issues. I think since the last update some apps are freezing on me. I'm guessing a factory reset won't do anything. I read somewhere to flash it. Any ideas where to get this done? Local Chineseshop or anyone in particular in Dublin. Thanks in advance.

have you tried something as simple as shutting down the phone and re-booting it? and also clearing caches , and if it is just specific apps freezing on you, going into settings and force stopping them and clearing 'all data' ? - its less drastic than flashing and it might just do the trick

Weird one that has been randomly happening both mine and OH's Note 5 is that it randomly suddenly vibrates while charging.. often a number of times.. screen will be off and no notifications or anything. Anyone else witnessed this?

Basq wrote: »
    Weird one that has been randomly happening both mine and OH's Note 5 is that it randomly suddenly vibrates while charging.. often a number of times.. screen will be off and no notifications or anything. Anyone else witnessed this?

cannot say i am experiencing that personally, but i dont like the 'drip' noise as my phone comes out of DND mode to normal volume mode - its annoying. The only way I think i would be able to stop this is to root the phone and go into the media folder and delete the notification tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

No I've never experienced that myself.
    I'm rooted and using xiaomi.eu weekly rom
    Maybe try a factory reset on one of them and see how that goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I get this all the time on mine. Apps are set to update while charging. So i will vibrate if it notices an app needs to be updated and then again when the update is complete.

No idea how to turn it off. I've just learnt to live with it but I'm sure if you go into the app update settings you'll be able to change it.

Phew.. not just us. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Try setting do not disturb for night time. All my apps update at night and I don't get any vibrations.

That would drive me potty as I'm a very light sleeper.

Try it manually tonight and if it works then set a rule for it to kick in at a time that suits you and switch back to "normal silent" at 7am or whatever

I couldn't live with those vibrations

ImARebel wrote: »
    Try setting do not disturb for night time. All my apps update at night and I don't get any vibrations.

That would drive me potty as I'm a very light sleeper.

Try it manually tonight and if it works then set a rule for it to kick in at a time that suits you and switch back to "normal silent" at 7am or whatever

I couldn't live with those vibrations
    Still does it for DND as have night mode between 11pm and 8am. It's not the worst if I put it on a softer surface (book) on locker as opposed to wooden surface.

• Advertisement

Feck... Not that then

*goes to check settings*

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Apologies if already covered but has anybody replaced a cracked screen on their Note 5?

I ran a few tests and for me when I have DND activated I get absolutely no vibrations, not from calls, messages alerts or an app updated

Might be worth double checking the settings to be sure it's set correctly?

ImARebel wrote: »
    I ran a few tests and for me when I have DND activated I get absolutely no vibrations, not from calls, messages alerts or an app updated

Might be worth double checking the settings to be sure it's set correctly?
    Hmm.. it doesn't happen the whole time.. so maybe the one night it was very evident it was actually before 11pm (and DND was off). Will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

DND has sub settings.
    Have you checked them?

Hmm.. it doesn't happen the whole time.. so maybe the one night it was very evident it was actually before 11pm (and DND was off). Will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

No problem, first thing I did was figure out how to eliminate all noise at night as I wake up at the drop of a hat

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

have you tried something as simple as shutting down the phone and re-booting it? and also clearing caches , and if it is just specific apps freezing on you, going into settings and force stopping them and clearing 'all data' ? - its less drastic than flashing and it might just do the trick
    Have tried that. No joy. Also deleting and reinstalling makes no difference

Have tried that. No joy. Also deleting and reinstalling makes no difference

Have a look at the mi a2 lite thread, someone had similar issue turned out to be the sd card

So bought a redmi note 5 Chinese version and I attached my mind account and unlocked it but on trying to flash the global I didn't notice the flash all and lock I got error for image and it now boots to recovery menu and I can boot to fastboot but I cannot even flash a Chinese image back onto it any one know a work around or proper guide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Perhaps this is an Issue with Fitbit rather than the phone. Anyway, I can't get my Fitbit Charge 2 to connect with my phone. Has anyone encountered this issue and been able to resolve it?

• Advertisement

So bought a redmi note 5 Chinese version and I attached my mind account and unlocked it but on trying to flash the global I didn't notice the flash all and lock I got error for image and it now boots to recovery menu and I can boot to fastboot but I cannot even flash a Chinese image back onto it any one know a work around or proper guide?

Just back from the pub, so in no form to search links at present to assist you.

Tried to assist someone else in this reddit thread recently, so you may need to enter EDL mode and flash a china rom.

Stupid xiaomi putting obstacles/locks on preventing flashing different variations of a rom with locked bootloader. Hope that thread helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Just went for this - i thought it was a decent price.

https://www.clove.co.uk/xiaomi-redmi-note-5

Tried to assist someone else in this reddit thread recently, so you may need to enter EDL mode and flash a china rom.

Stupid xiaomi putting obstacles/locks on preventing flashing different variations of a rom with locked bootloader. Hope that thread helps?

Thanks looks like I'll have to pry the back off it and short the two points, I'll need to order a proper pry toolkit as the two plastic splodgers I have are able to pop the top of the case out but are to weak for the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Could anyone please recommend a suitable running armband for this model of phone.

nedsgarden wrote: »
    Just went for this - i thought it was a decent price.

https://www.clove.co.uk/xiaomi-redmi-note-5

That's a weaker version with 3GB ram and Snapdragon 625, like what was originally released in India.
    The redmi note 5 pro has 4GB ram and a newer Snapdragon 636.
    Nothing wrong with it, but important to point that out nonetheless in case someone unwittingly buys it.

Thanks Corkie I finally managed to get the phone back working. So I'm back on latest Chinese build, is there any safe way to go from the Chinese Rom to the global ROM that I won't end up bricking the phone again?

Just don't lock the bootloader again if you switch to a global rom. Keep a eye on your anti version and only flash roms with the same or higher anti version. To avoid ARB brick.

Has anyone tried cydia impactor to root their redmi note 5 global?

Has anyone tried cydia impactor to root their redmi note 5 global?

Not familiar with that particular tool, but these "One Click" hacks are not recommended. You Don't know what else they maybe injecting into your device.

Rooting is easy once you unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and then magisk!

• Advertisement

Just don't lock the bootloader again if you switch to a global rom. Keep a eye on your anti version and only flash roms with the same or higher anti version. To avoid ARB brick.

Thanks I have to wait the 360 hours before it will leave me unlock again.

Advertisement