Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on trip to Blaskets

Options
  • 17-03-2018 5:04am

Group of trail runners planning to head out there in the summer. Have been out a few times but last time was 6 years ago...someone might know the following:-

1. What time is the earliest crossing?
    2. Is it possible to block book a group of, say, 15?
    3. How much is it pp return?
    4. Is the cafe open these summers?
    5. Any particularly good boat company?
    6. Anywhere to leave gear on the island? Don't want to lug a change of clothes around on the run.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Hi there! I might be able to answer some of your questions but I'd say your best best is getting in touch with the service providers.

1. Earliest crossing will most likely be with Blasket Island Ferries around 10.30am (also the shortest crossing, leaving from Dunquin). Easiest way to reach them is through their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/blasketislandferries/ The people who run the hostel and shop also provide a ferry service and are extremely helpful. You'll reach them through this link: https://www.greatblasketisland.net/contact/
    2. I'm not sure about block booking. I would say yes for Blasket Island Ferries, as their boat is larger and has more frequent sailings.
    3. Prices range between 40 - 60 pp but you may get a discount for block booking
    4. Yes the cafe is open, and provides toilet facilities for visitors
    5. As mentioned above, Blasket Island Ferries for quick access but I'd highly reccommend Billy and Alice from Great Blasket Island services for their friendliness and helpfulness. Also, their boat is a lighter vessel and can often sail when others can't.
    6. There's nowhere public on the island to leave belongings. You could probably negotiate a price with the shop/hostel.

Just a point or two to note: be mindful that even on what seems like a clear sunny day, the boats may not run due to rough seas or an impending poor forecast. Also, I haven't been on the island since the end of last year but having spent a lot of time there in 2017, the ground was in a bad way. The wet weather meant it never got a chance to dry and I would imagine that the poor winter has done it no favours. This may not bother your group, I just found it a little challenging at times!

Happy running and enjoy the island.

Thanks so much for all of that, that's very good of you to set it all out, provide links etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Hi there! I might be able to answer some of your questions but I'd say your best best is getting in touch with the service providers.

1. Earliest crossing will most likely be with Blasket Island Ferries around 10.30am (also the shortest crossing, leaving from Dunquin). Easiest way to reach them is through their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/blasketislandferries/ The people who run the hostel and shop also provide a ferry service and are extremely helpful. You'll reach them through this link: https://www.greatblasketisland.net/contact/
    2. I'm not sure about block booking. I would say yes for Blasket Island Ferries, as their boat is larger and has more frequent sailings.
    3. Prices range between 40 - 60 pp but you may get a discount for block booking
    4. Yes the cafe is open, and provides toilet facilities for visitors
    5. As mentioned above, Blasket Island Ferries for quick access but I'd highly reccommend Billy and Alice from Great Blasket Island services for their friendliness and helpfulness. Also, their boat is a lighter vessel and can often sail when others can't.
    6. There's nowhere public on the island to leave belongings. You could probably negotiate a price with the shop/hostel.

Just a point or two to note: be mindful that even on what seems like a clear sunny day, the boats may not run due to rough seas or an impending poor forecast. Also, I haven't been on the island since the end of last year but having spent a lot of time there in 2017, the ground was in a bad way. The wet weather meant it never got a chance to dry and I would imagine that the poor winter has done it no favours. This may not bother your group, I just found it a little challenging at times!

Happy running and enjoy the island.

Hi Pennydreadful,

Sorry to bother you, but hoping to head out to the baskets camping, and perhaps do a little fishing out there! Did you spot anyone fishing on the island during your time there?

Thanks!

Advertisement