Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milan SanRemo 2018

Options
  • 17-03-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread so here's one. It's on now and Fabio Aru is the big favourite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Looking forward to it, will be something to help the 4hr turbo! Looks like they have miserable enough conditions as always

pelevin wrote: »
    Surprised there's no thread so here's one. It's on now and Fabio Aru is the big favourite.

He's not racing today is he? Not seeing him on the startlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

He's not racing today is he? Not seeing him on the startlist.

He's still the big favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’m hoping Sagan finally wins it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Watching it on Eurosport Player here and there is no commentary whatsoever, just the sound of the riders, the helicopters, etc. Which is kinda weird, but as someone who is not a fan of Carlton Kirby, it's kinda awesome too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

...oh, just realised there are two streams to choose from within the player and the second one has commentary. And it's not Kirby. Win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Cavendish down in a bad crash into a street barrier

Come on Nibali

Excellent finish, delighted with that and so close at the end

How does Cavendish keep at it, the guy has no luck at all it seems. Third crash this year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Shocking crash for Cav but a good win for Nibali

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Great race and result only bad thing was cav crash guy has no luck at all lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Just watched the last 10 minutes or so on commentary-less replay. Beautiful against the odds victory by Nibali. Apart from the Worlds of the last few big races he's won Lombardy, Milan Sanremo & presumably will be declared the Vuelta winner also - unless the authorities turn coward. And to think a rider you'd imagine better equipped to win MSR like Valverde doesn't even enter this. A real racer.

Oh & that Cavendish crash looked brutal - & odd to have got things so wrong hitting that mid-road bollard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Magnificent win from Nibali; I was surprised that there was no real chase when he attacked; lots of looking around. If Sagan moved the whole bunch wud be on his wheel I suspect. But fair play to Nibbles, a fine win.
    On a totally unrelated point, I'm also a bit bemused by the fact that a Monument Classic race gets a handful of comments, while a thread about mudguards or cycle lanes can garner hundreds of responses. The great 'sport' of cycling is subordinate to the great social debates about riding a bike. Such is life....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

A lot of people saying that Cav has had no luck but luck has nothing to do with it. Dont think his head has been back in the game since the crash at the tour. Crashed into the back of the start car arguably his fault. Came off in the TT down to his own cycling and now hit the middle barrier taking out a whole heap of othe cyclists due to his own lack of attention.

I would be a Cav fan but he needs to take a break and come back more focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just finished watching highlights on Eurosport.
    What a win by Nibali. Never thought he could hold the pack off. Bellissimo!

Bit of an odd comment as in fairness it was fairly boring until the final climb and also most people were probably busy as it was paddys day so family etc...

JK.BMC wrote: »
    On a totally unrelated point, I'm also a bit bemused by the fact that a Monument Classic race gets a handful of comments, while a thread about mudguards or cycle lanes can garner hundreds of responses. The great 'sport' of cycling is subordinate to the great social debates about riding a bike. Such is life....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Magnificent win from Nibali; I was surprised that there was no real chase when he attacked; lots of looking around. If Sagan moved the whole bunch wud be on his wheel I suspect. But fair play to Nibbles, a fine win.

Not everyone watches bike races. There also was the small matter of a rugby match and some snake charming going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Bit of an odd comment as in fairness it was fairly boring until the final climb and also most people were probably busy as it was paddys day so family etc...

Alright so. I'm odd. I've no interest in mudguards though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

At least you lot got to see the race! I missed the rugby (on a flight to France)and when I got to the hotel, I switched on Eurosport.....no Milan San Remo on French Eurosport! Grrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

07Lapierre wrote: »
    At least you lot got to see the race! I missed the rugby (on a flight to France)and when I got to the hotel, I switched on Eurosport.....no Milan San Remo on French Eurosport! Grrr!

Well lah-de-fúcking-dah.

Bring me back some saucisson, will ya?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes. I’d say it’s a short thread because so few people watched it live this year because of the rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I was watching MSR on the TV and I had the rugby on the tablet! Luckily the best bits of the rugby were in the first half and I was roaring at the telly for the finish.

After Nibali's win the Grand Slam felt like an anti-climax!

I was watching MSR on the TV and I had the rugby on the tablet! Luckily the best bits of the rugby were in the first half and I was roaring at the telly for the finish.

After Nibali's win the Grand Slam felt like an anti-climax!

Unless you are Italian or part Italian that comment is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Magnificent win from Nibali...On a totally unrelated point, I'm also a bit bemused by the fact that a Monument Classic race gets a handful of comments, while a thread about mudguards or cycle lanes can garner hundreds of responses
    Nibali's win was unarguably brilliant, there's nothing to argue about. So much so that you've had to bring in mudguards to start an argument. :D

What a win. I typically fell asleep last night watching the coverage on-demand and then half-woke up after the finish, so I was pretty sure Nibali had won or I'd dreamed it, but it was still gripping to watch this morning.

Even Eurosport's obsession with Cav (yeah, he fell off his bike and is out of the race so top talking about him!) couldn't spoil it.

Nibali is such a classy rider.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Unless you are Italian or part Italian that comment is a disgrace!

Or not Irish. I didn't watch the rugby yesterday but had my wife shouting results out of the window as I got stuff done. Live streamed abuse!

The way Nibali won Lombardy late last year was class. Now this. He is really the complete rider. He can climb. He can descend (and how!). He can tt. He can take the cobbles no bother as evidenced several years ago in the tdf. He is ticking off the palmares victories nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Wonderful Nibali, a real racer. Historically, Milan-San Remo rarely explodes until the Cipressa or more likely the Poggio. It was edge of the seat stuff after Nibali attacked. He got the 12 seconds advantage he needed at the top, they were never going to catch him on the descent but that twelve seconds gave him the cushion for the last 1.5km flat finish. A brilliant 'calculation'. Had Sagan tried to cover Nibali's surge, he would have brought at least six contenders with him. It was a quality finish after almost 300km cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Raam wrote: »
    07Lapierre wrote: »

Well lah-de-fúcking-dah.

Bring me back some saucisson, will ya?

I know...1st world problems eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Just curious, did anyone else see Nibali pressing the top of the right shifter using his thumb between the 6.2 to 5.9km to go! Just looked a bit odd! His run to line in the final 1km also looked effortless, it looked a bit too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ADW1 wrote: »
    Just curious, did anyone else see Nibali pressing the top of the right shifter using his thumb between the 6.2 to 5.9km to go! Just looked a bit odd! His run to line in the final 1km also looked effortless, it looked a bit too easy.

e85e22b2f2348ea7b8719ffea93e22c6.jpg

Advertisement