Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importance of neigbours / sussing out neighbours

Options
  • 17-03-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

I made and offer on a house and it was accepted but I have not paid the deposit yet.

The only thing holding me back is the neighbors. Does anyone have recommendations for finding out more about them or am I over emphasising them?

It is only sharing one wall with them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dev_ire wrote: »
    Hi,

I made and offer on a house and it was accepted but I have not paid the deposit yet.

The only thing holding me back is the neighbors. Does anyone have recommendations for finding out more about them or am I over emphasising them?

It is only sharing one wall with them.

Thanks.

I think you are wise to think of this. You can tell a lot from sight? Is the garden tidy? Are there toys that might mean small children if that would worry you?

Are you near enough to spend some time near the house and watch and listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The state of the neighbourhood and their garden tells a lot honestly.
    But I can tell you, being on the other side at the moment since the rental next door is empty and you have your thoughts and hope the best that it's nice people moving in there.
    How about you just call into them and ask them a few questions about the neighborhood? I know if anyone would do that I'd be delighted to help them out because you also get an idea who these people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Thanks.

I could go by (and plan on spending most of the next few days around there).

I was half thinking on calling into a few of the neighbours but what do you say? Does it not come accross like you are interviewing them (how it the neigbourhood is not far from how are you and the people next to you)?

One garden is a bit messy at the front and back, but not rubbish just bikes and lots of stuff around but not actual rubbish or dirty.

I know the surrounding area, it is fine. It is really on the house it shares a wall with and the one next to it. The rest seem fine.

When kids are involved, it might get a bit messy.
    Anyway, just be straight and tell you're thinking of buying in the area, ask them about the general area, what schools are there, are there many kids, what shops are close by and so on. Just get a bit of conversation going. Most people wouldn't mind, you're thinking of buying into an area after all and I know future neighbours would love to get an idea who's interested in living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

A good look around the neighborhood is a floating to do.
    Look out for general disrepair, and lack of maintenance. Look at the garden , see is it kept tidy and not full of scrap or rubbish, bits of old car s .
    Look out for houses that are immaculate. Especially next door to your property. I would be very wary about having next door with nothing out of place and stupidly clean and tidy.
    Try to look into the back gardens if possible. Look out for dogs, boy racers, even guys cutting up firewood

• Advertisement

Oh and I might want to give you an anecdote for sneaking around:
    In a local Buy-and-Sell group a few people were freaking out that a certain car with a few people in it was hanging out there a few days at different times and one woman was really scared and worried that they might be on the lookout to steal.
    Turned out that the people were just doing research on the area because they were thinking of moving there.
    So don't be THAT kind of creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Google the address to see if there's been any shootings or big court cases involving residents from there.

Kind of wrong time of the year with the weather but a good idea during summer to see an area at 9pm or so on a Friday or Saturday night to see if they are awash with folk drinking cans or up to no good etc or the house your buying is the hangout spot for sitting on the wall outside.

LirW wrote: »
    Oh and I might want to give you an anecdote for sneaking around:
    In a local Buy-and-Sell group a few people were freaking out that a certain car with a few people in it was hanging out there a few days at different times and one woman was really scared and worried that they might be on the lookout to steal.
    Turned out that the people were just doing research on the area because they were thinking of moving there.
    So don't be THAT kind of creep.
    That's the other side of it. You don't want to annoy your future neighbors.

Look at the cars and see if they are clan and looked after.

A lot of estates have strong community sense going on and look after one another, so anything that might be shady word will spread in a heartbeat. Just keep a low profile, I know what I'd do if I see someone to try have a look into my garden from the outside and this would involve something in between "WTH?" and calling 999, depending on the situation.
    Do your research but stay reasonable with your actions.

LirW wrote: »

A lot of estates have strong community sense going on and look after one another, so anything that might be shady word will spread in a heartbeat. Just keep a low profile, I know what I'd do if I see someone to try have a look into my garden from the outside and this would involve something in between "WTH?" and calling 999, depending on the situation.
    Do your research but stay reasonable with your actions.
    I don't mean have a look over the back wall. I mean look out the window of the house your buying or if the landscape allows then get up high and get an overview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Thanks everyone.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement