Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Yea last year was 5.30 although royal wedding is on same day so hope its not at some stupid time

What has the royal wedding got to do with United ffs :)

Where is bailly??

Pizza hut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Except it has nothing to do with united.

Tbf, in a thread with many many different viewpoints on United that make us all clash over the course of the season, it’s nice to have a bit of a nonsense to get to chat normally within the Community. There is chat about the result, games and players in between, and I’m sure it will get back on track and to te seriousness of the end of season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Econ_

Herrera’s performance today serves as an illustration as to why he’s been such a major disappointment at United.

Every once in a blue moon he puts in that kind of performance. The rest of the time he’s bang average. Sloppy on the ball, lack of presence and generally unable to get to grips with the rhythm of the game.

He’s a grand squad player to plug a gap here and there. But he’s no more than that and never will be, despite the high hopes that came with his signing. Calls for him to play a more pivotal role in the future are misguided.

duffman13 wrote: »
    One player I'm happy for the last few week's in Mike Smalling. Feel he sometimes gets a lot of grief but he's had some really good games in the last few weeks and chipped in with important goals.

I think he's a good ball player and Southgate screwed him over with his comments earlier in the season when everyone was pulling the todger of themselves over John Stones. He deserves to go the world cup IMO, him and Jones were solid today again.

Unfortunately he takes the easy option nearly every time, won’t risk a pass to the midfielders and will play it to the fullbacks 9 times out of 10.. we need someone like Alderweirald who would pass thru the lines or drive forward and allow the midfielders to have a higher start line

Econ_ wrote: »
    Herrera’s performance today serves as an illustration as to why he’s been such a major disappointment at United.

Every once in a blue moon he puts in that kind of performance. The rest of the time he’s bang average. Sloppy on the ball, lack of presence and generally unable to get to grips with the rhythm of the game.

He’s a grand squad player to plug a gap here and there. But he’s no more than that and never will be, despite the high hopes that came with his signing. Calls for him to play a more pivotal role in the future are misguided.

To be honest I see it as total opposite.

Today showed that he can put a run of performances together and hopefully get back to what he has been last season.

He is no world beater but he is a player that I'd much prefer have in my starting team then in the opposition's.

• Advertisement

Come back Stringer! All is forgotten :)

I know you are reading :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its not like this is a new thing. This Herrera frequently appeared last year. It really must have been that court case in Spain, since its conclusion he has started to rediscover last years form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Today was the Herrera who won POtY last year. He's been dirt this season but the last few weeks, he's been getting back to his old self. Hoping he can play his way back into plans. We were having to talk about transfer plans this summer as if he was gone, and he's worked his way back into plans imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ot but Rockshore Irish Lager is piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Ot but Rockshore Irish Lager is piss.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

"Lads, it's Tottenham" - As true today, as it was then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Carrick seems to have had a positive impact on pogba.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    "Lads, it's Tottenham" - As true today, as it was then.

Actually, it's CFHT :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

brinty wrote: »
    Good lad, Morton’s is a staple in all large American cities. Didn’t go whilst in Texas last October but did go to a Brazilian steak house chain... all ye can eat,multiple cuts,some pig and change clean cuts too.. huge salad bar and fejoida a Brazilian stew with rice.... it was epic..

Love a trip to Shanahan on the green.. been twice.. 24oz T-bone steak... mother of divine baby Jesus...

Texas De Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

The rest of the time he’s bang average. Sloppy on the ball, lack of presence and generally unable to get to grips with the rhythm of the game.

He showed all the above today too.
    The fact he scored and we won we can blow him up a bit. Same as Pogba against city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Wouldnt start sanchez at weekend martial lukaku and rashford should start

Great call chief.

We were lucky the pitch wasn't dry today. ;)

We were lucky the pitch wasn't dry today. ;)

did you see that interview the dude doing it asked him how they let it slip I had to laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

adox wrote:
    Texas De Brazil?

Fogo De chao
    We were lucky the pitch wasn't dry today.

Oh that's naughty....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Three cheers for dry pitches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You have to admire how they animated that, the perspective on the ciggy as it flies just past the 'camera' position, and the half rotation it did on the way

Quality stuff.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Told ye spurs not being in their normal dressing room would **** them.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Good result today, the ol food talk might be a recipe for us all getting on.

Great pass from Pogba to Sanchez for first goal. Beckham style pass rather than random kick it anywhere cross.

Well said brinty, well cooked steak would only be ruined by sauce on the steak

I think you hit the nail on the head there DM.

It's our own version of that time during World War 1 when some of the enemies and the allies called an unofficial ceasefire for one Christmas Eve, came out of the trenches and all played football together.

Except our thing is probably even more poignant than that, of course.

As for steak sauce - Let the steak rest on a plate loosely covered by tinfoil for a few minutes after cooking. Then serve up your steak and poor the juices back over it. There...sauce.

sznEe3A.gif

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I said this earlier when someone said they'd rather Spurs win the Cup over Chelsea. Spurs NEED to win a trophy to kick on to the next level. To give the fans a sense of progression. To sate the hunger of the players.

Be honest, have Spurs improved this year? Or have they taken a step back relative to last year? They finished second last year, and with 86 points, but no trophies. This year, they'll be fighting for third and can hit a maximum of 80 points.

The FA Cup would have salavaged the season for them. Instead, their manager didn't seem bothered. It was a weak mentality, and they've had a worse season this one than last. A trophy, ANY trophy, would have been a massive boon for them.

giphy.gif

Nope, you're not making me feel bad with a Donald Trump gif, that ain't happening Lord TotalSteakCremator even if I didn't mea...no not happening. :D

***THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS FOOTBALL DISCUSSION***

Did you see the way Poch celebrated that goal of Alli's, Lordy? Earlier in the season I made a post about Poch's dismissal of the FA Cup, he's been playing the trophy down for a while now and not just before this game.

But look at how passionately he celebrated Alli's goal on the touchline yesterday. That made me think twice, for a moment anyway. It made me think that maybe Poch's 'no fúcks given' attitude about the FA Cup in interviews could be largely down to posturing.

As you said above, winning an FA Cup would suit Spurs down to the ground, players and fans alike. It makes sense for them, and it would be bizarre if Poch didn't see that. It would be a notable step in their progression, and Poch could kind of do with one of those despite all of the beautiful football. For all the positives, he still hasn't won anything with this group of players yet.

That's why I'm coming around to the idea that Poch is publicly playing down the FA Cup for some other reason.

***END OF FOOTBALL DISCUSSION***

So anyway....

I noticed a surprising lack of fleshy gifs and images in the thread after a cup semi-final win. Surprised brinty didn't sort us. Allow me. NSFW of course, and taken by myself...

Jp5qDT8.jpg?2

JSdxVJn.jpg?1

gO0fJwo.jpg?1

Back to the football...

I thought Sanchez had a great game, deserved MOTM. Pogba impressed too, but it's quite promising to see Ander Herrera continue to make himself an option for next season. Our CM prospects don't look so bleak when you see that Herrera show up.

He's shown up in several games now since he came back into the team, including two 'big games' in City and Spurs.

I wonder though - He is famous with fans for his goal celebrations and deservedly so. The passion is turned up to 11 and all that stuff. So, did anyone else find his goal celebration remarkably muted? I mean, he did celebrate and grab the badge, but he wasn't his usual smiley self...

g6KmWJJ.jpg?1

Could be nothing, but it did strike me as odd considering he just scored the goal that put us in the lead in a cup semi-final in Wembley. This is Ander Herrera, who celebrated a goal against Yeovil in the FA Cup 3rd round, in fúcking Yeovil, as if it were a CL winner.

He could be thinking "That's for all you pricks who thought I'd clear the stand with that shot". Anyway, I hope the little shíthouse is alright.

Speaking of which, I missed this in the game, but Twitter misses nothing...

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/987819143134105600

Some of the replies...

"like if shíthouses had architects and then those architects had schools and he was the dean"

"Herrera will be the main attraction in any future shíthousery museum. absolute bastard at just the right time...he picks his moments with exquisite precision."

"He is Mourinho on the pitch that fella"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This thread needs more quoting of Auroras_encore

It can be a daily occurrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Repeat of MOTD is on in 5 minutes on BBC1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Off topic, but im up hanging, and threw on priemer legends on netflix and is v.Nistelrooy, insanely great player and his record i think is one of the best. If we had him for 3/4 more years he'd get the plaudits of the the league.

Cant believe they have Keown on this bit talking about the game where r.v.d missed the peno and
    keown genuinely does not know what a scumbag he looks in that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm a huge fan of Rom but watching the highlights back he was fairly poor yesterday. There were two opportunities, one in the first half, one in the second where he had the ball at the edge of the box and he had Sanchez and Jessie respectively free to square it to but he elected to take the shot on instead and wasted the opportunity, the Sanchez one in particular was particularly poor. Ultimately it ended up not mattering as we won but in another game things like that could be costly.

Sanchez' work rate yesterday was unreal, going forward, tracking back and defending, tackling, he did everything. Easily his best 90 minutes for us. Think he is up to 3 goals and 3 assists for us in 12 appearances. He and the other players are getting a much better understanding of eachother which bodes well for next season too. He also took his goal superbly yesterday. It was an exceptionally difficult chance given that he ain't exactly a 6 footer and the angle of his run.

Really happy with how he is developing into the team.

Pogba was very good too which is great to see. That's what I expect of him, powerful, marauding runs, using his natural strenght to pressurise opponents. He clearly has all the attributes to be a superstar so hopefully he will keep building.

Nice to have a final to look forward to with top 4 99.999% assured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Good turn around in 2 nd half , was concerned at half time, but flair play, they got to grips with midfield and kept spurs quiet in second half. Had a couple of bets riding with 2 mouthy spurs fans, happy to meet them and will enjoy collecting :).

Gas if Saints pull one over Chelsea today !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Van Nistlerooy is underrated in people’s memory I feel. He was an absolute animal in pursuit of goals. I think the likes of Schmeichel and Cantona have a romance about them because of the characters they were but Van Der Sar and Van Nistlerooy were in my opinion on the same level and I actually think Van Der Sar was better than Schmeichel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I'm a huge fan of Rom but watching the highlights back he was fairly poor yesterday. There were two opportunities, one in the first half, one in the second where he had the ball at the edge of the box and he had Sanchez and Jessie respectively free to square it to but he elected to take the shot on instead and wasted the opportunity, the Sanchez one in particular was particularly poor. Ultimately it ended up not mattering as we won but in another game things like that could be costly.

Sanchez' work rate yesterday was unreal, going forward, tracking back and defending, tackling, he did everything. Easily his best 90 minutes for us. Think he is up to 3 goals and 3 assists for us in 12 appearances. He and the other players are getting a much better understanding of eachother which bodes well for next season too. He also took his goal superbly yesterday. It was an exceptionally difficult chance given that he ain't exactly a 6 footer and the angle of his run.

Really happy with how he is developing into the team.

Pogba was very good too which is great to see. That's what I expect of him, powerful, marauding runs, using his natural strenght to pressurise opponents. He clearly has all the attributes to be a superstar so hopefully he will keep building.

Nice to have a final to look forward to with top 4 99.999% assured.

Bit with Lukaku i remembering it happenning and giving out, but think around the 85th minute when spurs were pushing us back, rom came out of know where and knicked the ball for us from our outside of the box. 89ish minute pogba clears with a boot up the pitch and lukaku is 1v1 race with the spurs defender and vorm had to come a hell of a long way.

Lukaku for me has been phenomanal all season, good quick start, had a rough winter break but came out after xmas playing a captains role, playing for the badge.

Yup his touches could be better but lukaku is player of the year for us imo from where he started to whats he's doing now in this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GSPfan wrote: »
    Van Nistlerooy is underrated in people’s memory I feel. He was an absolute animal in pursuit of goals. I think the likes of Schmeichel and Cantona have a romance about them because of the characters they were but Van Der Sar and Van Nistlerooy were in my opinion on the same level and I actually think Van Der Sar was better than Schmeichel.

Don't agree on your point on Van Der Saar v Schmeichel (its close alright) but totally get what your saying and in general about Van The Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Unearthly wrote: »
    This thread needs more quoting of Auroras_encore

It can be a daily occurrence

Aurora watch?

Considering the efforts he goes to in other forums, it might be entertaining

Morning everyone, the sun is out, UTD are in the cup final and we beat tottingham, again! Glad it was them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

adox wrote: »
    Just went to read the match thread. If you haven’t already read it, check out Business Cats beautifully poetic opening post. A cracker.

Business Cat means business :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was my youngest's first trip to Wembley. It was a great game, particularly the way it evolved. I may have seen better there myself but he's definitely got a taste for the place now. Only problem is I only gave the one season ticket!

On the topic of van Nistlerooy, I've been watching United for nearly 40 years now. He is, in my opinion, the best out and out centre forward I've ever seen in a United shirt. We may have had better all round players but as a goalscorer he was phenomenal. Pity we could not get a few more years out of him but he was fantastic when he was at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GSPfan wrote: »

I disagree about VDS being better than Schmeichel, although being honest both along with DDG were all among the best in the world during their time at OT, certainly best in the League anyway (maybe Buffon or Casillas could be above VDS). I think RVN and his manner of departure might have soured things.

Who'd having steak today...
    Weather looks good
    Think I'll put another steak on the barbie

brinty wrote: »
    Who'd having steak today...
    Weather looks good
    Think I'll put another steak on the barbie

Pissing rain so will let the chefs do the work and go for a carvery :D

astradave wrote:
    Pissing rain so will let the chefs do the work and go for a carvery

That's my boy Dave

• Advertisement

I really don’t care who wins the match today, I think we have the beating of anyone on our day and have showed that especially the last few weeks. If there is anyone who knows how to win it’s Jose..

Bring em on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

astradave wrote: »
    I really don’t care who wins the match today, I think we have the beating of anyone on our day and have showed that especially the last few weeks. If there is anyone who knows how to win it’s Jose..

Bring em on!

Absolutely... still prefer Southampton though :pac:

Fairly quiet in here. Where’s all the lads from last Sunday anyway?

Fairly quiet in here. Where’s all the lads from last Sunday anyway?

All gone to mass. Praying for rain on Tuesday night so the pitch won't be dry. ;)

Really is amazing the bullsh1t stats that were been peddled here about Jose and top six based in a half season at Chelsea and a year of rebuilding with United.

We have been exceptional against the big teams past few months it's almost as if the players know they have nothing to play for in the league and are only up for the big games.

So disappointed with how we went out of champions league it really is a suckerpunch.

All gone to mass. Praying for rain on Tuesday night so the pitch won't be dry. ;)

It’s funny looking back. They couldn’t get the better of the worst team in the league over 3 games this season but last week Mourinho was basically written off as a yesterday’s man by some on the back of 1 result against that team :)

I was watching the game yesterday with a couple of Spurs fans. They admitted that it was the usual bottle job when it really mattered.
    One lad who's a season ticket holder for years there said he'd take Jose as manager "just to win a trophy". He said it's all well and good getting pats on the back for playing nice football but winning a trophy is what really matters.

Castle's headline from The Times.

Jose Mourinho willing to let Anthony Martial leave Manchester United

I know he will go to Germany or Italy and look amazing. But from a squad point of view, we're overloaded with LWers, he offers little more than Rashford does anyway, and it might be the excuse needed to push for a proper Right wing replacement.

EDIT: Actually, Castle says as much in his article.

Martial’s sale would allow Mourinho to repair an imbalance in a squad that does not contain a left-footed winger. The Portuguese is considering a list of potential replacements, including Bordeaux’s Brazil youth international Malcom, Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and Ajax teenager Justin Kluivert. While Monaco are ready to sell Lemar in the summer window amidst strong interest from clubs such as Arsenal and Liverpool, their asking price for the France international has now climbed to around £90m.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Castle's headline from The Times.

Jose Mourinho willing to let Anthony Martial leave Manchester United

I know he will go to Germany or Italy and look amazing. But from a squad point of view, we're overloaded with LWers, he offers little more than Rashford does anyway, and it might be the excuse needed to push for a proper Right wing replacement.

Neymar to Madrid and Martial to PSG.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement