Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It’s funny looking back. They couldn’t get the better of the worst team in the league over 3 games this season but last week Mourinho was basically written off as a yesterday’s man by some on the back of 1 result against that team :)

It's been the same here all season we been written off by our own fans after every poor result but the same fans go missing each time we win nothing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's been the same here all season we been written off by out own fans after ever result but the same fans go missing each time we win nothing to say.

The draw and loss in Europe was a kick in the balls but 15 wins from 18 domestic games in 2018 is fairly good going by any standard.

The draw and loss in Europe was a kick in the balls but 15 wins from 18 domestic games in 2018 is fairly good going by any standard.

74 points from 34 games is pretty good too considering how bad the manager and players are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

74 points from 34 games is pretty good too considering how bad the manager and players are.

Joking aside, I think its fair to say that we havent fired on all cylinders at multiple points this season. There's many games we lost where we feel we should have won.

Which is, in my mind, actually brilliant, because it shows how there's still room to grow. This despite our best point haul since Fergie left, playing "poor" football at times, and having an unbalanced squad.

Its why I'm excited for next year; there's easy problems to solve, and if we solve them, we're going to take a step forward from a pretty great position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

TO THE TOYSTORE!!

31154242_571382096551825_381420824193662976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3d39369b09f23012cc34028cdc7eab54&oe=5B5BC51E

TO THE TOYSTORE!!

When I didn't recognise your name I thought you were going to say something really controversial and against the grain.

But I love that post haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GSPfan wrote: »
    Van Nistlerooy is underrated in people’s memory I feel. He was an absolute animal in pursuit of goals. I think the likes of Schmeichel and Cantona have a romance about them because of the characters they were but Van Der Sar and Van Nistlerooy were in my opinion on the same level and I actually think Van Der Sar was better than Schmeichel.

Loved Van Nistelrooy. One of my favorite strikers of all time.

Scmeichel for me though is not just Utds best keeper ever, he’s one of if no the best to play the game.

I loved VDS too but I think he’s a little over rated by people. Not on Schmeichels level IMO and not as good as De Gea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Castle's headline from The Times.

Jose Mourinho willing to let Anthony Martial leave Manchester United

I know he will go to Germany or Italy and look amazing. But from a squad point of view, we're overloaded with LWers, he offers little more than Rashford does anyway, and it might be the excuse needed to push for a proper Right wing replacement.

EDIT: Actually, Castle says as much in his article.

Martial’s sale would allow Mourinho to repair an imbalance in a squad that does not contain a left-footed winger. The Portuguese is considering a list of potential replacements, including Bordeaux’s Brazil youth international Malcom, Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and Ajax teenager Justin Kluivert. While Monaco are ready to sell Lemar in the summer window amidst strong interest from clubs such as Arsenal and Liverpool, their asking price for the France international has now climbed to around £90m.

Martial is a striker though being asked to play left wing, would love to see him get a few games up front now over the next few weeks but dont think it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

GSPfan wrote: »
    Van Nistlerooy is underrated in people’s memory I feel. He was an absolute animal in pursuit of goals.

Maybe in part because he played in one of SAF's less brilliant eras. Always thought playing alongside/behind RVN brought the best out of Rooney.

34a77-rooneyshrek.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

adox wrote: »
    Loved Van Nistelrooy. One of my favorite strikers of all time.

Scmeichel for me though is not just Utds best keeper ever, he’s one of if no the best to play the game.

I loved VDS too but I think he’s a little over rated by people. Not on Schmeichels level IMO and not as good as De Gea.

VDS had more mistakes in him IMO.

Pitty we didn't get him earlier all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think VDS was mostly exceptional. Think he just happened to strike lucky as 3 of his back 4 were normally peak versions of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra.

He was never quite as hard worked as Schmeichel or DDG and was moreso part of a ridiculously good defensive 5 so his talents weren't really called upon that often. I'd say he is almost underrated if anything

Lads ddg is head and shoulder above Pete and Edwin I'm sorry but both had there absolute strengths but they never had to play with a defence in front of them like ddg they never had to carry a team for years and only for them that team would be up sh1t creek.

I loved Pete I always thought he was the best keeper ever his distribution was superb never forget his throw out launching the next attack on the break and his one on ones were superb but ddg wins it for me.

I'd put every part of his game a notch above the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Off topic, but im up hanging, and threw on priemer legends on netflix and is v.Nistelrooy, insanely great player and his record i think is one of the best. If we had him for 3/4 more years he'd get the plaudits of the the league.

Cant believe they have Keown on this bit talking about the game where r.v.d missed the peno and
    keown genuinely does not know what a scumbag he looks in that game

Van Nistelrooy is my favorite United player of all time. He's exactly what a striker should be and that's a clinical goalscorer.

The team was shifting towards a different style from around 2004/2005/2006 onwards, so it probably was the correct decision to move him on.

Having said that, I do still wish he had been around for the champions league win. Shame he never got that with the club especially when he was so consistent himself in Europe for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Van Nistelrooy is my favorite United player of all time. He's exactly what a striker should be and that's a clinical goalscorer.

The team was shifting towards a different style from around 2004/2005/2006 onwards, so it probably was the correct decision to move him on.

Having said that, I do still wish he had been around for the champions league win. Shame he never got that with the club especially when he was so consistent himself in Europe for us.

he was class, he just knew where to be at every moment during a game, always in the right place at the right time.

Lads ddg is head and shoulder above Pete and Edwin I'm sorry but both had there absolute strengths but they never had to play with a defence in front of them like ddg they never had to carry a team for years and only for them that team would be up sh1t creek.

I loved Pete I always thought he was the best keeper ever his distribution was superb never forget his throw out launching the next attack on the break and his one on ones were superb but ddg wins it for me.

I don’t agree. De Gea is an amazing goal keeper and pulls off some wonder saves but he has some onbvious weaknesses in his game, despite being amongst the best in the world at present. He doesn’t command his box at all to the point where the opposition are encouraged to play set pieces as near the goal as posssible as more often than not he won’t come for it. He’s also extremely slow to come off his line under any circumstances.

Schneichel had no real weaknesses in his game. A brilliant shot stopper. Brilliant when one on one. Commanded his box and spent the rest of the game shouting and organizing his defense.

It’s all about opinions of course but to me he was just incredible. A step above De Gea.

• Advertisement

De Gea??? I dont know how anyone can think that. It’s just simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pete was far superior at commanding his area. It's still the main criticism of DDG for me. Don't think there is much to choose between the two from a shot stopping and distribution standpoint either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Van Nistillroy was a machine in getting goals. Always in the right place. No one better in the penalty box. Loved watching him. Aided by the right foot of David Beckham. The best crosser of a ball I've ever seen into the best finisher we ever had. Priceless.

Regarding keepers Schmichel was the best until David came along. I though United could never have a keeper as good as Schmichel again but they got a better one. De Gea is as close to the perfect goalkeeper as you can get.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Van Nistillroy was a machine in getting goals. Always in the right place. No one better in the penalty box. Loved watching him. Aided by the right foot of David Beckham. The best crosser of a ball I've ever seen into the best finisher we ever had. Priceless.

Regarding keepers Schmichel was the best until David came along. I though United could never have a keeper as good as Schmichel again but they got a better one. De Gea is as close to the perfect goalkeeper as you can get.

I would say Schmeichel was as close to the perfect keeper rather than De Gea.
    Look I love De Gea but as good as he is he has a glaring weak point in his game so I don’t see how he can be classed as close to a perfect keeper as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

De Gea doesn’t even have command of his 6 yard box. One of the worst I’ve seen for being rooted to his line but then it barely makes any difference because he’s absolutely unf*ckingreal when it comes to shotstopping.
    It’s like he backs himself to save the shot rather than prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

With regard to Schmiechel, Van Der Saar, and De Gea, I think that we should just be grateful that we’ve had the pleasure of seeing three great goalkeepers play for us; they’re difficult to separate in terms of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It be a interesting Public vote to see who people think was the best.

I can see the case for all 3 to be fair.

But Schmeichel gets it for me. Just purely cause he actually won matches on his own. Chelsea December 1998 and Newcastle March 1996 come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

VDS really saved us from a string of horrendous keepers and gave us a great base.

Each were the right keeper for their time

ollkiller wrote: »

Actually if memory serves me right Backham and Van Nistelrooy only spent 2 seasons together and Beckham was dropped by Fergie for the last couple of weeks/months of his final season, so really they had less than 2 full seasons together.

At times they linked very well but it was a short lived relationship, probably one which could have gone on to even better heights had things worked out differently.

I never really followed their time at Real (I think they spent some time together there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To be fair to VDS he was the most consistent of the 3 keepers we had. Peter was prone to the odd howler 2 to 3 times a season and DDG makes odd blooper.

VDS was excellent piece of business at a time when we badly needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think VDS should be in the conversation on pure ability alone. He was an incredibly stable goalkeeper who didn't really make mistakes. He saved what you expected him to save, kicked well consistently and claimed crosses when you expect him to. Don't think he ever consistently did the incredible like Pete and DDG. He was a huge part of the success of what I believe was our greatest team, but Pete and DDG were just better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

QikBax wrote: »
    VDS really saved us from a string of horrendous keepers

I don't think the keepers between Schmeichel and VDS were all terrible in fairness. Bosnich, Carroll, Barthez, Howard all did some shot stoppin, just not consistently enough. Though the less said about Taibi the better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Who's the greatest has to be the most pointless argument. Schmeichel was a great, De Gea is a great and both have their own outstanding qualities.

You could argue 'the greatest' til you're blue in the face

Maradona v. Pele
    Messi v. Ronaldo
    Pepsi v. Coke
    Michael Jackson (white version) v. Michael Jackson (black version)

Grateful we've had our share of great players at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I don't think the keepers between Schmeichel and VDS were all terrible in fairness. Bosnich, Carroll, Barthez, Howard all did some shot stoppin, just not consistently enough. Though the less said about Taibi the better...

Have to disagree. All were average, bottom half of the table keepers who really shouldn't have been starting keepers for United.

Barthez's eccentricity masked how error prone he was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When I didn't recognise your name I thought you were going to say something really controversial and against the grain.

But I love that post haha.

A Grames post is quality over quantity.

• Advertisement

Who's the greatest has to be the most pointless argument. Schmeichel was a great, De Gea is a great and both have their own outstanding qualities.

You could argue 'the greatest' til you're blue in the face

Maradona v. Pele
    Messi v. Ronaldo
    Pepsi v. Coke
    Michael Jackson (white version) v. Michael Jackson (black version)

Grateful we've had our share of great players at the club.

I mean it's obviously Coke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Don't know how Carroll and Bosnich ever got games as first team starters for United. They were both very poor keepers at that level.

Barthez and Howard had their moments but were very inconsistent.

If we can win the Cup and finish second, whilst not dancing in the street, I’ll be happy with our progress. Sevilla was a disgrace and really disappointing but I still have absolute faith in Jose. We’ve now beaten Spurs, Liverpool, City, and Chelsea in recent weeks and, although City have been exceptional, they’re not without their own flaws. My overriding sense is that we now have a platform from which we can kick on. We need a decent summer on the signings and disposals front, with the target for next year being a meaningful title challenge and a proper tilt at the Champions League.

I think that sometimes people underestimate just how low an ebb we were at post Moyes and Van Gaal; the turnaround has been quite something and it’s far from finished yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Felt after the nose break that VDS dropped a level. Seemed to lose some command of the area and was less brave coming for the ball. Also was weak near post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Peter Schmeichel is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen play. No weakness in his game whatsoever. Definitely without a doubt Uniteds best goalkeeper.

Bosnich was a quality goalie at one point not while at united but he had a few personal issues if I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It be a interesting Public vote to see who people think was the best.

I can see the case for all 3 to be fair.

But Schmeichel gets it for me. Just purely cause he actually won matches on his own. Chelsea December 1998 and Newcastle March 1996 come to mind.

In a public vote I would say DDg would get it due to the age of most people voting. If united put it up on their social media, most people would never even have seen Schmeichel play

Comfortable win for spurs, dembele will bully the United midfield

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

For me Ricardo was vastly under rated

• Advertisement

DDG certainly has the best reactions/reflexes of any of the three, this does manage to offset his muted, non controlling approach with his defenders.

Also talking about goalkeepers I cant help but admire Van Der Gouw, Kuszczak, Foster, Lindegaard, Romero. It must be a really hard situation to keep motivated knowing that you will be lucky to get 10 games a year no matter how well you play or how hard you train. It offers such great security to know the back up can be trusted but must be hard for them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    DDG certainly has the best reactions/reflexes of any of the three, this does manage to offset his muted, non controlling approach with his defenders.

To be fair to him, I think that he has tended to have far weaker and less settled defences in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Think I'd rather play Chelsea in the final.

Southampton would just play deep and we struggle against that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

To be fair to him, I think that he has tended to have far weaker and less settled defences in front of him.
    The unsettled defence would mean he should be more inclined to control his area both at set pieces and in play as he is the one constant in the back 5.

Instead we see the opposite where he is content to give a lot of responsibility to whoever is in front of him on a given day.

The guys reflexes and willingness to use his feet means he makes stops that others simply wouldn't make though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think VDS was mostly exceptional. Think he just happened to strike lucky as 3 of his back 4 were normally peak versions of Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra.

He was never quite as hard worked as Schmeichel or DDG and was moreso part of a ridiculously good defensive 5 so his talents weren't really called upon that often. I'd say he is almost underrated if anything

Thats actually a great point. VDS had an exceptional in form Vidic and Rio in their prime in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

But thats not to take anything away from VDS as he was a great keeper for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Just looking up some barely interesting facts. Our appearance in the Cup final next month gives us the chance to win our first trophy in May of a World Cup year since we did the double in 1994 (the last time England didn’t qualify)

We seem to have a bad record in World Cup years overall. Our trophy record for such years include 1 league title (1994), 2 FA Cups (1990 & 1994) and 2 League Cups (2006 & 2010).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Losing the final to Conte would be unbearable.

Should be a great final. Looking forward to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Losing the final to Conte would be unbearable.

On the other hand, will be so much sweeter to beat them/him and put the final nail into his "Mourinho Season"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement