Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

My fiancée is a chelsea fan....someone check on me the 20th of May would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Think I'd rather play Chelsea in the final.

Southampton would just play deep and we struggle against that

why do you think we struggle against teams that do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will be nearly 10 years to the day since we played them too in some other game. John Terry was Motm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I still think ddg lads but I will say in my defence I'm not a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

jayo26 wrote: »

I have never seen a purveyor of spectacular saves better than David De Gea; the man is almost supernatural on occasion.

I honestly didn't mind who we drew in the final. We've had as much trouble against teams like Southampton this season as teams like Chelsea.

Looking at it more recently, we've done quite well against the top 6 sides but the lower-placed teams can be a sticking point for us (Newcastle, West Brom). I wouldn't have been overly confident about beating Southampton, and I won't be overly worried about facing Chelsea. It's grand, and hopefully will make for a good cup final.

Three finals in two seasons, that's good going for a 'busted flush', a 'tactical dinosaur', a manager who is regarded by many as past his sell by date, and not only neutrals.

We are by no means the finished product, we are not certs to win the league next year, but overall I'm quite happy with Jose's first two seasons at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

bangkok wrote: »
    why do you think we struggle against teams that do that?

We just can't break down teams who play 10 behind the ball. Been that way for a few years.

We play best when we are countering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will be nearly 10 years to the day since we played them too in some other game. John Terry was Motm.

****ing hell, scary how fast time goes by

While I can appreciate people not fearing chelsea I'd have preferred southampton, these Chelsea players can raise their game when the mood strikes them which it could in a final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I like watching these (only when we win!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

19th May is gonna be a special day for me as not only is it the day of the Cup Final and the day of the Royal wedding but it is also my own wedding day. I should also mention that my wife to be is a Chelsea fan. Should be a fun day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Interesting to see the much vaunted Pochettino is now four years with Spurs and four years without a trophy. We are very lucky that the stars aligned to deliver Jose to us. It’s about winning and trophies; the rest is gilding the lily.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    We just can't break down teams who play 10 behind the ball. Been that way for a few years.

We play best when we are countering.

i honestly think when we play with a target man like zlatan or lukaku we are too easy to play against when teams put 10 behind the ball.

need fast strikers who have good movement in order to break it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

i honestly think when we play with a target man like zlatan or lukaku we are too easy to play against when teams put 10 behind the ball.

need fast strikers who have good movement in order to break it down
    I think the opposite. I forget who it was against but last season Martial had the opportunity to prove his worth when playing by himself against a team who parked the bus and he was very ineffective. Having all the speed in the world isn't going to help when there's 4 opposing players surrounding you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah, you want a target man or the like against the teams that sit with 10 behind the ball and you want pace for teams that push up high to run in behind.

I actually think Lukaku can do both jobs excellently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lads I think there is some nostalgia glasses on anyone saying Schmeichel had no weaknesses. His nickname was Flap Flaps for christ sake. You could put together a blooper reel for Schmeichel as he made some crazy errors. He was brilliant most of the time but he had more errors in him than VDS or DDG. I won’t argue someone saying he was the best of the 3 but lets not pretend he didn’t have faults.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Lads I think there is some nostalgia glasses on anyone saying Schmeichel had no weaknesses. His nickname was Flap Flaps for christ sake. You could put together a blooper reel for Schmeichel as he made some crazy errors. He was brilliant most of the time but he had more errors in him than VDS or DDG. I won’t argue someone saying he was the best of the 3 but lets not pretend he didn’t have faults.

Finally someone else that's not a sheep :)

i have never heard of that nickname before ever and to be honest whoever nicknamed him that knew nothing about football

Schmeichel was one of the best goal keepers in the history of the game, had a unique style and was probably the best keeper in history in a one on one situation

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think the opposite. I forget who it was against but last season Martial had the opportunity to prove his worth when playing by himself against a team who parked the bus and he was very ineffective. Having all the speed in the world isn't going to help when there's 4 opposing players surrounding you.

that is one game out of how many??

look at other teams the way they break down teams who also play 10 behind the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

i have never heard of that nickname before ever and to be honest whoever nicknamed him that knew nothing about football

Schmeichel was one of the best goal keepers in the history of the game, had a unique style and was probably the best keeper in history in a one on one situation

1992-1994 seasons say hello, then again if you'd bother your arse with a YouTube search instead of throwing out the hyperbolic statements as you did with your second paragraph..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    1992-1994 seasons say hello, then again if you'd bother your arse with a YouTube search instead of throwing out the hyperbolic statements as you did with your second paragraph..

nothing hyperbolic about it, Schmeichel is regarded by many as the greatest keeper to ever play the game

nothing hyperbolic about it, Schmeichel is regarded by many as the greatest keeper to ever play the game

True, but just the way came out with this when you never heard the nickname Flap Flaps, not everyone becomes a superstar from the beginning. Hell just look at DDG when he first came to United, and look at him now, Schmeichel built up his reputation over time.

Research stuff dude, or you know Google & YouTube searches...

Also when you say Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper in the history of the game, are you counting football when it first started, or just Premier League Years onwards?

only one way to settle this a youtube highlight video compilation off

True, but just the way came out with this when you never heard the nickname Flap Flaps, not everyone becomes a superstar from the beginning.

Research stuff dude, or you know YouTube searches...

im judging him over the course of his career. there is not one keeper or player in history that hasnt made mistakes. im just saying whoever nick named him flap flaps (if they still call him that) knew nothing about football

de Gea had a horrible start in england as well, but i doubt anyone called him flap flaps

im saying over his career he was one of the best keepers in history

im judging him over the course of his career. there is not one keeper or player in history that hasnt made mistakes. im just saying whoever nick named him flap flaps (if they still call him that) knew nothing about football

de Gea had a horrible start in england as well, but i doubt anyone called him flap flaps

Maybe the persons opinion of Schmeichel was valid at the time, and then revised when he went on to become one of the greats? cause everyone has opinions and can revise them, especially when proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

that is one game out of how many??

look at other teams the way they break down teams who also play 10 behind the ball
    I know it was just one game but it's the last time I can remember Jose trying this approach.

I do think that you need lots of movement and width to stretch a defense but speed alone won't help. If Lukaku wasn't willing to run as much as he does then I'd agree that it would be worth opting for something other than a target man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

only one way to settle this a youtube highlight video compilation off

Right. I'll post a clip for best ever finisher at the club based from a youtube highlight

https://youtu.be/wjUWUHYQB0M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Right. I'll post a clip for best ever finisher at the club based from a youtube highlight

https://youtu.be/wjUWUHYQB0M

How have you missed the opportunity to post up the lob against Wolves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Pete was far superior at commanding his area. It's still the main criticism of DDG for me. Don't think there is much to choose between the two from a shot stopping and distribution standpoint either.
    Fair to say we have had the 3 best keepers ever in PL by a country mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Lukaku is our number 1 striker, works his ball's off and committed to the cause but truth is he's at best 4th best in PL, we need more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

secman wrote: »
    Fair to say we have had the 3 best keepers ever in PL by a country mile

Just to be that guy, Cech in his prime has a definite claim, much as it kills me...

secman wrote: »
    Lukaku is our number 1 striker, works his ball's off and committed to the cause but truth is he's at best 4th best in PL, we need more than that.

He is fourth best in the league yes but look at how many chances we made for him.

Lukaku is the brightest point of our team he has consistently been one of the best scorers in premier league over the past 4 season's that's what we need consistency not the next best thing for a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Well DDG is absolutely immense, other two have finished their careers, DDG hasnt so he'll be judged respectively when he does. No sheep involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You’re too young to be a sheep my friend...
    fine Wexford lamb perhaps...

Dont know if anyone was watching the city game but by the 85th minute in, the statium started emptying. Some gowls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Dont know if anyone was watching the city game but by the 85th minute in, the statium started emptying. Some gowls

To be fair both of them might have work in the morning :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/billrice23/status/988169604903170048

Jose Mourinho says #MUFC need to sign two midfielders this summer, if Marouane Fellaini leaves.

"We need to find a replacement for Michael Carrick. If Marouane Fellaini leaves, we need to find a replacement for Marouane Fellaini."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

https://twitter.com/billrice23/status/988169604903170048

Jose Mourinho says #MUFC need to sign two midfielders this summer, if Marouane Fellaini leaves.

"We need to find a replacement for Michael Carrick. If Marouane Fellaini leaves, we need to find a replacement for Marouane Fellaini."

In other news the world isn’t flat and the sky is in fact blue.... :rolleyes:

No disrespect to you CC my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brinty wrote: »
    In other news the world isn’t flat and the sky is in fact blue.... :rolleyes:

No disrespect to you CC my friend

I was half expecting him to promote McTominay to a regular in the first team. Does he not trust Herrera to be a consistent pick in midfield alongside Matic?
    We know that a replacement for Carrick is needed but now that Herrera seems to have all that match fixing nonsense behind him we might see the best of him again, he's started to show it recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I was half expecting him to promote McTominay to a regular in the first team. Does he not trust Herrera to be a consistent pick in midfield alongside Matic?
    We know that a replacement for Carrick is needed but now that Herrera seems to have all that match fixing nonsense behind him we might see the best of him again, he's started to show it recently.

If they are replacing those players, they are probably back up players as neither of the two are starters.

• Advertisement

Mo Salah picking up player of the year.
    No denying he's deserved it, sensational player and fair ****s to him coming back to a league that shunned him at taking it by the horns.

Have to be careful here, but well deserved

@ bangkok

I’m completely ok with you holding Schmeichel up as one of the best ever but you cannot think he was without fault. If I was to compare him to a premier league goal keeper today he would be the equivalent of Ederson. He is great most of the time but has a desire to get involved outside his box and ends up looking stupid now and again.

Nostalgia blurs reality. It’s like people thinking Ferguson only played aggressively attacking swashbuckling football. He absolutely didn’t. For the most part it was very practical and disciplined.

I’m not saying Ederson is as good as Schmeichel.

No denying he's deserved it, sensational player and fair ****s to him coming back to a league that shunned him at taking it by the horns.

Get your hand out of your pants and shut up.

@ bangkok

I’m completely ok with you holding Schmeichel up as one of the best ever but you cannot think he was without fault. If I was to compare him to a premier league goal keeper today he would be the equivalent of Ederson. He is great most of the time but has a desire to get involved outside his box and ends up looking stupid now and again.

Nostalgia blurs reality. It’s like people thinking Ferguson only played aggressively attacking swashbuckling football. He absolutely didn’t. For the most part it was very practical and disciplined.

Bit with fergie i have to disagree with, even though your post wasnt directed at me at all but

What made fergie so great was his adaptability year on year in the PL

Stop that, that's Bangkok's job :P:P

Get your hand out of your pants and shut up.

Or ya know, just say a player is good because he is, no matter the team. Football is a game and if a lad picks up the award because he has been great this season then so be it. You win the award by other players votes, so im sure plenty of united players picked him.

Stop that, that's Bangkok's job :P:P

Fellani or pobga?

Fellani or pobga?

Don't know, some days the goal post just change depending on his form.

:pac:

Don't know, some days the goal post just change depending on his form.

:pac:

Yeah which way left or right! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah but left or right! :)

Uh left I think, no wait it's right..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement