Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    fair enough, but he takes more flak that any other player. lads calling him an idiot and a waster and the likes on here not that long ago.

he didnt even start the game against sevilla and it was probably our worst performance of the season, where almost not one player looked arsed

It's the internet I'm sure we don't have to think too hard about players you over react on too.

I used pogba as an example because as I said he plays in the most important position in the team in my opinion but yes the Seville games shower how many of the team are doing what pogba does too it's just it shows up more in midfield in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

yesterday is a good example of Pogba.

Capable of being brilliant - but his jog after eriksen for the first goal infuriated me. Not like he was trying to chase down Mane.

maybe he could not have caught him, but he could have put in more effort when he could see there was no left back covering there (WHERE THE F WAS YOUNG).

Also - am I wrong to wonder what Smalling was attempting to defend against on that goal - seemed to deliberately move away from covering Ali's run and I can't work out what he was trying to stop.

Harry Kane was coming in to the box unmarked, looked like he was attracted to that run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

you need to watch that again, pogba was in full sprint after erikson when the ball went over his head was never going to catch him....

ashley young was at full fault for the goal, he was the left back and was no where to be seen

That wasn't him sprinting..... I wouldn't call Pogba a slow player, Eriksen isn't particularly speedy either. It was Young going lord the sh*t knows where chasing Trippier that killed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you need to watch that again, pogba was in full sprint after erikson when the ball went over his head was never going to catch him....

ashley young was at full fault for the goal, he was the left back and was no where to be seen

I must do cause I certainly do not agree that what I saw was Pogba in full sprint after him.

I do think Young takes blame for positioning - but at the time Sanchez looks to play the ball over, Pogba is beside Erikson and whether Young was there or not, he should have tracked that move far better.

Harry Kane was coming in to the box unmarked, looked like he was attracted to that run.

Yep - just watched it again. Makes sense. Had to make a decison to block one of the strikers. Just picked, in hindsight, the wrong one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kane really is pathetic. You can be sure if he had Spurs appeal for his fake goal, he had them kick up a fuss to get the tweet deleted...

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/988382468498575361

I'm actually glad Salah will easily beat him to the golden boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I must do cause I certainly do not agree that what I saw was Pogba in full sprint after him.

I do think Young takes blame for positioning - but at the time Sanchez looks to play the ball over, Pogba is beside Erikson and whether Young was there or not, he should have tracked that move far better.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6i6wz2

theres the goal again, pogba was in full sprint as was erikson

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

J. Marston wrote: »
    Kane really is pathetic. You can be sure if he had Spurs appeal for his fake goal, he had them kick up a fuss to get the tweet deleted...

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/988382468498575361

Thin Skinned Harry..

Kane wasn't on the pitch yesterday???? What you on about.

• Advertisement

That's far from full sprint haha.

Nah, I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The title says "funny" (only clip I could find) but I didn't find this funny, I absolutely loved this moment from the last game.

Good to see some fire in the players and delighted for Jones. Had a shambolic day last time we played Spurs, coupled with the fact that he's been out for a few weeks, you could see how much it meant to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's far from full sprint haha.

To really show the difference in his speed there was an attacking move down the left of the pitch where he knocked the ball on and sprinted after it, it was after the spurs goal and I was asking myself why he couldn’t sprint like that to chase back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I would love to see United in for Coleman at RB. Proven PL player, perfect to take over from Valencia straight away and gives the club a few more seasons to really sort the position out.

• Advertisement

• Herrera pisses off so many rival fans....it's great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yesterday is a good example of Pogba.

Capable of being brilliant - but his jog after eriksen for the first goal infuriated me. Not like he was trying to chase down Mane.

maybe he could not have caught him, but he could have put in more effort when he could see there was no left back covering there (WHERE THE F WAS YOUNG).

Also - am I wrong to wonder what Smalling was attempting to defend against on that goal - seemed to deliberately move away from covering Ali's run and I can't work out what he was trying to stop.

Case in point, so much focus was on Pogba, not our LB who went walkabout, our RB not tracking a runner and our Cb's just vanishing?

Also Pogba is weird watching him run. Had some reaction to you, why isn't he sprinting. Then later in the game he cruised passed I think Dembele or someone and again didnt look like he was sprinting but was just pulling away from the Spurs players.

Just a weird thing I keep spotting, he always just looks like hes jogging, but breezes past people at times full sprinting

J. Marston wrote: »

yea he was definitely involved in match fixing.... he loves the dark arts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Herrera pisses off so many rival fans....it's great :D

Two great performances from him last two games. Won't get into hindsight stuff, but be cool seeing that trio for the remainder of the season

TheDoc wrote: »
    Case in point, so much focus was on Pogba, not our LB who went walkabout, our RB not tracking a runner and our Cb's just vanishing?

Also Pogba is weird watching him run. Had some reaction to you, why isn't he sprinting. Then later in the game he cruised passed I think Dembele or someone and again didnt look like he was sprinting but was just pulling away from the Spurs players.

Just a weird thing I keep spotting, he always just looks like hes jogging, but breezes past people at times full sprinting

Or case in point people will do anything to defend Pogba of any wrong doing like deflecting blame onto others or saying he looks like he is jogging when at full sprint.

The goal was terrible and Pogba had a part to play in it, the problem is we have heard that many times this season re Pogba

• Advertisement

pogba is so athletic the way he runs doesnt make it look like he is sprinting but it definitely is, he has longer strides and slower leg movement than a messi who has shorter legs that move much quicker

I'm not looking to blame him for the goal - but my issue is simply his lack (imo) of action to try stop it. The moment the ball went over you could see we were in trouble and IMO there is no way that is Pogba 100% busting a gut to try stop that attack and get back when he can see we have been caught.

I'm generally not looking for Pogba to be sprinting round closing down all the time - but when he is in a defensive position and has a man, he has to 100% stick with it imo.

Pogba could see Young ahead of him. Pogba could see Erikson make the move. Yes, blame Young for being stupid or the right back not reacting well enough, but that doesn't excuse Pogba either - he was in a position of defensive responsibility, and I don't think he did enough.

There was an attack late in the game where it almost cost us too - ball from deep on the near side towards the left back area. Pogba had someone (can't remember who) but he let them go and they were clear in behind had the ball got to them. I think it was Jones who headed clear, but if Jones had missed it, Pogba had allwed his man to run free. And if Jones had missed it, it was going straight to the Spurs fella .That isn't acceptable, and I'd say the same of Lukaku in the same position. If you are defending, and have a man, stick with them. Just because you are an attacking player you can't just leave it.

pogba is so athletic the way he runs doesnt make it look like he is sprinting but it definitely is, he has longer strides and slower leg movement than a messi who has shorter legs that move much quicker

and he wasn't using them to move at his highest speed.

and he wasn't using them to move at his highest speed.

i disagree. we not going to agree on it so best leave it

If that's the way you want to judge it the go ahead but Erickson was not busting a gut or anything to get away from him or is Erickson another player that glides fast but it looks really slow?

If that's the way you want to judge it the go ahead but Erickson was not busting a gut or anything to get away from him or is Erickson another player that glides fast but it looks really slow?

40 seconds in, erikson is very fast and in full sprint as is pogba chasing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just FYI. When Pogba sprints full he tilts his head back like proper sprinter.

Bangkok while trying to defend Pogba is actually selling Pogba ridiculously short. The lad can certainly move far far quicker than he did there.

I havent seen anyone blame Pogba outright. Its unanimously where the hell had Young gone? People are just commenting Pogba could have tried a bit more to get back.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Phil Jones does it again!

2616256_A_AE5_C_4307_80_B7_116078907153.jpg

He makes Keogh-face seem so normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

astradave wrote: »
    Phil Jones does it again!

2616256_A_AE5_C_4307_80_B7_116078907153.jpg

It is gas that his facial reactions overshadow his performances at times.

I was in the bar a couple of weeks back chatting to a Brazilian. She loved football (that's a given) but didn't follow the PL. Only knew of the Brazilian players in the league and of course the players like Aguero, De Bruyne and Pogba, DeGea etc.

She asked me who my favourite player for United was and I boldly responded with Phil Jones. I did so with clear eyes and a full heart. She looked puzzled and said she recognised the name but didn't know the player. Next thing she whips out the phone to google him.

My word, at that point I realised googling Phil Jones will bring an array of weird faces. I could see her cracking up laughing as she turned the phone to me with the classic Jones expression covering the screen.
    Shocked she said
    "He's you're favourite player?"

You guys think I'm bad here for praising Phil Jones, get a few pints into me and so help you god. I was pouring out the praise about his passion and fighting attitude, drawing ridiculous comparisons to famous Brazilians to give her context. I like to think she left a fan of his, but more than likely she will just remember the face!

I remember during the Pogba transfer saga I was in the camp who didn't want us to buy him, the money was a big thing. I was adamant that the impact he would have didn't match his fee. During that period many people argued that I should put the fee to the back of my mind and not to let it affect my expectations of what he will deliver for us.

It's bit ironic that now I am in the camp who is defending him when I was quite vocal in my opposition of his signing. Pogba will always draw criticism, no matter how well he plays. It's a given. The mistakes or negative parts will be highlighted more and the good taken for granted.

We can see it here with the amount of attention given to his tracking back for the first goal, it's been talked about more than his lovely ball for our goal. I firmly believe Pogba has more to offer, but I also think that can be said for all the player this season, barring a one or two.

While he hasn't been consistent enough in his performances, and hasn't delivered enough top drawer performances, he certainly hasn't been as dreadful as some would like to make out. He's had a good season, in my eyes. Not great, not bad. I firmly agree with people who expect more, but I think that frustration leads people to exaggerate how poor they think his performances have been. It's like people don't have a middle ground for judging him. He's either brilliant or crap. Which isn't true.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next season. The whole team needs to kick on. If we can beat Chelsea for the cup and finish 2nd it would be the perfect building block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm not looking to blame him for the goal - but my issue is simply his lack (imo) of action to try stop it. The moment the ball went over you could see we were in trouble and IMO there is no way that is Pogba 100% busting a gut to try stop that attack and get back when he can see we have been caught.
    Eriksen was off and running before the ball over the top so he had a head start on Pogba who hadn't anticipated the play. It seemed to me that Pogba knew he wasn't going to catch Eriksen so he moved towards the 18 yard box - that should have allowed Jones to go to the player with the ball.

Phil Jones should have closed down Eriksen properly, instead he stood with his arms behind his back a few meters away. Jones could have prevented the easy cross if had continued his run towards Eriksen. Instead he left Eriksen with the time and space to play the ball.

Letting Eriksen get away from him is on Pogba, but there was an opportunity to prevent the simple cross afterwards which is on Jones. It should also be mentioned that the left back didn't exactly burst a gut to recover the situation either.

Jayo Prime That post in the humour thread is fcuking amazing

This is worth watching just for his impression of Rojo...

When young went forward for whatever reason he did, Pogba should have been covering in behind Erikson instead he ends up in front of him in position to cut out a pass but leaves the defence exposed to the ball over the top

When young went forward for whatever reason he did, Pogba should have been covering in behind Erikson instead he ends up in front of him in position to cut out a pass but leaves the defence exposed to the ball over the top

silly what he did.

left back will be a top priority this summer imo

• Advertisement

silly what he did.

left back will be a top priority this summer imo

not debating what Young did though.....

A LB and RB are big priorities alright

not debating what Young did though.....

A LB and RB are big priorities alright

i think fosu mensah has shown enough to be given a chance along with valencia at rb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

i think fosu mensah has shown enough to be given a chance along with valencia at rb.

I was reading earlier he's not even first choice at Palace currently.

Admittedly, they seemed to get their own kid and started developing over TFM, but from reading Palace fans, they said it wasn't a massively hard decision....

What would peoples thoughts be on Rashford going out on loan next season. Considering we can agree that we have too many left sided attacking players and would prefer not to sell Martial in case he does start living up to his potential.

I think if he was starting week in week out in the premiership it could do wonders for his confidence which seems to be lacking especially in front of goal these days

What would peoples thoughts be on Rashford going out on loan next season. Considering we can agree that we have too many left sided attacking players and would prefer not to sell Martial in case he does start living up to his potential.

I think if he was starting week in week out in the premiership it could do wonders for his confidence which seems to be lacking especially in front of goal these days

Not a hope he has got 40 games against this season half from starting positions that's not something to dismiss he is an important part of first team squad.

I have a feeling if any changes are going to be made it will be martial leaving to make way for a right sided player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Pogba will always draw criticism, no matter how well he plays. It's a given.

That's rubbish man and you know it. If Pogba had scored 20 goals in the league from midfield like say, Lampard used to..... nobody would be criticising him. And the odd nutbag who would dare to would be laughed out of the thread. If he was dominating the midfield like say, Keane used to....the same thing. He'd be getting near universal praise. Like say De Bruyne or Salah. Or Kane.

The fact is, he isn't doing those things so he is going to get criticism.

When De Gea makes a mistake (and he's made several this season) nobody bats an eyelid. Because the other 95% of the time he's excellent. Harry Kane was awful last week and nobody said anything because he's been scoring goals all season.

To claim Pogba will get stick "No matter how well he does" is batsh*t crazy. He's getting it because he has put in some terrible performances. He's getting it because even in the games he plays really well in, his weaknesses and laziness are still prevalent.

He's getting it because its there. The price tag has nothing to do with his performances. Do you think people talk about Messi's 40 million a year when he has a bad game? Do they f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm having Steak for dinner....

Should i have chips or spuds or go all posh and have the garlic spuds lads ;)

Lord TSC wrote: »

Admittedly, they seemed to get their own kid and started developing over TFM, but from reading Palace fans, they said it wasn't a massively hard decision....

he has had an excellent loan spell. 24 appearances all while the manager who originally wanted him got sacked. A motm display against man city when he kept one of the best players in the league sane quiet

Kirby wrote: »
    That's rubbish man and you know it. If Pogba had scored 20 goals in the league from midfield like say, Lampard used to..... nobody would be criticising him. And the odd nutbag who would dare to would be laughed out of the thread. If he was dominating the midfield like say, Keane used to....the same thing. He'd be getting near universal praise. Like say De Bruyne or Salah. Or Kane.

The fact is, he isn't doing those things so he is going to get criticism.

When De Gea makes a mistake (and he's made several this season) nobody bats an eyelid. Because the other 95% of the time he's excellent. Harry Kane was awful last week and nobody said anything because he's been scoring goals all season.

To claim Pogba will get stick "No matter how well he does" is batsh*t crazy. He's getting it because he has put in some terrible performances. He's getting it because even in the games he plays really well in, his weaknesses and laziness are still prevalent.

He's getting it because its there. The price tag has nothing to do with his performances. Do you think people talk about Messi's 40 million a year when he has a bad game? Do they f*ck.

not true, he has got plenty of stick in here this season.

Lukaku has 27 goals and has got criticism as well

Not a hope he has got 40 games against this season half from starting positions that's not something to dismiss he is an important part of first team squad.

I have a feeling if any changes are going to be made it will be martial leaving to make way for a right sided player.

Ya but many of them starts came before Sanchez joined, any which way I dont think we will have enough games next season for them all. I'm just not sure I want to see Martial sold yet

Lord TSC wrote: »

Martin Kelly is not gunna get a new deal with them, Joel Ward has had injuries and been very poor when fit and TFM was only a loan. I think Palace knew they needed at least one RB, possibly two so, knowing they are safe they gave this Wan Bissaka a chance to claim a spot. Clearly he impressed enough as he got a new deal a few days ago meaning they have saved themselves one piece of business this summer. Dunno how much that really reflects on TFM tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement