Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    I thought i was getting salad only... i wasn't expecting steak at all mate but but ms brinty went above and beyond last night and put steak on top... the juices flowed down into the salad... hmmmm

Fnarr Fnarr.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

bangkok wrote: »
    And Martial

I'm bias with Martial as I'm a big fan of his.

On Luke Shaw, I see a lot of people saying we should sell him off and use the money for a new LB. We're a rich club. Of course there will be players being sold but it is not imperative that we have to sell Shaw to finance the acquisition of another LB.

Our LB list at the moment are:
    Ashley Young (While I think he has been very good for us he is also start next season as a 33 year old converted midfielder)
    Daley Blind (A player who is clearly not a big part of Josés plans and you would have to guess is on his way out)
    Cameron Borthwick Jackson (Recently had a failed loan spells at Leeds)
    and Luke Shaw (1 year older than CBJ and has over 50 caps for us).

I get the frustration about him not living up to the hype. And he has to put in more work but even if we brought in a new LB I would rather keep Shaw as competition at least for another season.

CBJ and Blind I imagine will be on their way out soon if not the next window. Young surely will start to be phased out. I know people will argue he's our best LB this season but a converted midfielder at LB hitting his mid-30s will not be viewed as a long term solution.

In my view keep Shaw, bring in another LB and then it will become a position battle between Shaw and whoever we bring in. Anyway I wouldn't be so quick to sell Shaw this window.

I understand a lot will disagree, clearly, but that's just my thinking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Owryan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/988438389191008257?s=09

Some first touch for some of those goals.

He was my favourite striker to play for utd.

The guy was such a beast in front of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Must be one of the few who wants us to keep Shaw.

I just see no reason to do so.

Mourinho doesn't like or trust him. That being the case, he is useless to us.

If we are looking to buy a player from Spurs that doesn't play - Alderwield please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Owryan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/988438389191008257?s=09

Some first touch for some of those goals.

Remember thinking when he signed, that it was a risk because of his recent cruciate?? injury.
    Not only did he hit the ground running, it shook when he landed. Incredible striker.
    It all soured in his last season, as Ferguson wanted to go another way, but he was a untouchable up to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'm bias with Martial as I'm a big fan of his.

On Luke Shaw, I see a lot of people saying we should sell him off and use the money for a new LB. We're a rich club. Of course there will be players being sold but it is not imperative that we have to sell Shaw to finance the acquisition of another LB.

Our LB list at the moment are:
    Ashley Young (While I think he has been very good for us he is also start next season as a 33 year old converted midfielder)
    Daley Blind (A player who is clearly not a big part of Josés plans and you would have to guess is on his way out)
    Cameron Borthwick Jackson (Recently had a failed loan spells at Leeds)
    and Luke Shaw (1 year older than CBJ and has over 50 caps for us).

I get the frustration about him not living up to the hype. And he has to put in more work but even if we brought in a new LB I would rather keep Shaw as competition at least for another season.

CBJ and Blind I imagine will be on their way out soon if not the next window. Young surely will start to be phased out. I know people will argue he's our best LB this season but a converted midfielder at LB hitting his mid-30s will not be viewed as a long term solution.

In my view keep Shaw, bring in another LB and then it will become a position battle between Shaw and whoever we bring in. Anyway I wouldn't be so quick to sell Shaw this window.

I understand a lot will disagree, clearly, but that's just my thinking on it.

I would think the same but i dont think jose wants him anymore or else we would have seen a lot more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd still take Shaw over Rose. Really never got his hype. Sure hes English and broke through when he was young but never really established himself in anyway. If we are sniffing at English LB's I'd probably prefer Bertrand tbh, but none particularly stand out as being a noticeable upgrade over Ashley Young.

Young has probably along with Ben Davies (keeping Rose out of Spurs XI) been the best LB in the league this year. Kolasinac, Robertson and Delph have not really spent the full season at LB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ben Davies is not as gold (edit:Good!) as Rose. He is playing for other reasons.

Don't think United should be going for a player who is trouble with injury though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/989119516700442630

"Man United will rival Tottenham for Ryan Sessegnon's signature this summer, sources have confirmed to ESPN."

• Advertisement

I just see no reason to do so.

Mourinho doesn't like or trust him. That being the case, he is useless to us.

If we are looking to buy a player from Spurs that doesn't play - Alderwield please.
    I would think the same but i dont think jose wants him anymore or else we would have seen a lot more of him.

That is definitely the deciding factor.

With José I'm always torn with whether the things he says or does are genuine or part of his mind-games. I was flipping between whether he's truly giving up on Shaw out of frustration or trying to light a fire under him.
    I've given up on trying to wrap my head around it and will have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

While I agree United should add competition to both full back positions, why does everyone take issue with the fact that both first choice full backs are converted wingers? If they do the job, what does it matter? Wingers get converted to midfielders and forwards all the time, what does it matter if the fullbacks played somewhere else? It rarely comes up that Mousa Dembele switched positions, yet it's mentioned almost every time Ashley Youngs name comes up.

I also agree that Shaw should be sold. Personally I think he could still work out but the manager clearly doesn't trust him - he can play 4-5 good games, but one bad one along with whatever we don't see in training, and he's out of the picture again. I think the saga has rumbled on long enough, its not good for anyone.

Ronnie gives Rashford a signed shirt and best wishes message.

4B828C7100000578-5652817-Striker_Marcus_Rashford_showed_off_his_newly_signed_Real_Madrid_-a-4_1524647859735.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Son0vagun wrote: »
    And how’s that working out for ya?

Perfectly fine . Publican doesn't like lads sitting topless at the bar.

tanko wrote: »
    I’d say he’s stuck in the toilet window.

Not at all, why would I be?
    Fairly pathetic coming in here while your team was dominating a game. I suppose the few thanks were well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ronnie gives Rashford a signed shirt and best wishes message.

4B828C7100000578-5652817-Striker_Marcus_Rashford_showed_off_his_newly_signed_Real_Madrid_-a-4_1524647859735.jpg

Cue Rashford to Madrid rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not at all, why would I be?
    Fairly pathetic coming in here while your team was dominating a game. I suppose the few thanks were well worth it.

Well to be honest i thought i posted that in the Liverpool match thread, only realised later where i put it.
    Jaysus, it was only meant as a bit of crack anyway.

tanko wrote: »
    Well to be honest i thought i posted that in the Liverpool match thread, only realised later where i put it.
    Jaysus, it was only meant as a bit of crack anyway.

Sure

While I agree United should add competition to both full back positions, why does everyone take issue with the fact that both first choice full backs are converted wingers? If they do the job, what does it matter? Wingers get converted to midfielders and forwards all the time, what does it matter if the fullbacks played somewhere else? It rarely comes up that Mousa Dembele switched positions, yet it's mentioned almost every time Ashley Youngs name comes up.

I also agree that Shaw should be sold. Personally I think he could still work out but the manager clearly doesn't trust him - he can play 4-5 good games, but one bad one along with whatever we don't see in training, and he's out of the picture again. I think the saga has rumbled on long enough, its not good for anyone.

I get your point. I can only speak for myself here, but while I think he's a great threat going forward I find him to be just average defending. He sometimes has a very good game but I wouldn't be overly confident with him when he goes up against quality wingers.

I don't mind players changing positions, could be wrong but I think Coleman started in midfield, the worry for me comes when a player changes position late into his career out of necessity for the squad rather than due to the fact that it's his ideal or best position.

Apologies if my account for it isn't accurate as going off memory, but Young and Valencia at full-back both started off as experiments that worked so we stuck with them. For me the whole plan or idea was for them to play there short term until we get more naturally suited replacements. Unfortunately we haven't done brilliantly in bringing in players capable of doing it, fair play to the two lads for seeing off the competition.

They're getting older now too. Both entering next season as 33 year-olds. I don't have too much issue with continuing with them but I certainly think we should be looking ahead at replacements for them rather than putting too much faith in them. They could prove me wrong yet but I think it would be risky not to address the position.

astradave wrote: »
    Cue Rashford to Madrid rumours

Nah, the two of them are good mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nah, the two of them are good mates.

I know that, you know that, the media knows that but it won’t stop some ****post from the daily mail or the express writing about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

On the links to Fulham's Sessegnon, pretty sure he's been featuring as a left sided attacker for them recently and not as a full back.

Whoscored have him playing this season 19 times as a defender with two goals and two assists, with 23 appearances as a left sided attacker and 13 goals with 4 assists.

Cant see us needing another young left sided attacker.

https://youtu.be/fL4V9wK1YmI

Video of the new jersey,looks like a sleeve sponsor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm convinced the Rose stuff is some elaborate joke. I just do not understand it. £40 million for Spurs back-up left back.

Oh God, we have deals with Marvel and stuff, don't we? I imagine Sky will be falling over themselves to try and paint Wenger's alst game at OT as some Thanos style battle :P

"Engage all defences and get this man a shield bus."

It looks to me like the sponsor is tinder.
    Lord I hope I'm wrong.

Ughh, almost as bad as the tartan one

Lord I hope I'm wrong.

Googled tinder logo and that is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lord I hope I'm wrong.
    nope, seems to be them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4747584/Man-Utd-set-Tinder-12m-year-sleeve-sponsor.html
    and other more recent news reports.

could they not have grindr on the other slieve just for balance?

Harry Kane wants tinder to sponsor Spurs, he'd score every time on that too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Tinder story is from last year.

City signed a deal with them a few weeks ago so it won't be them if we're getting a sleeve sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Red socks? First time since the early 70s isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And Martial

Ya I love him to stay. Think we still have super player on our hands

Ya I love him to stay. Think we still have super player on our hands

I dont think he will stay though. He is too good to sit on the bench

I dont think he will stay though. He is too good to sit on the bench

I hope he says but if he left and we got market value for him, a proper RW could be bought which may be a better proposition at least short term.

I can't see him getting enough games next year with Sanchez favoured from the left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sanchez and Rashford are enough for the left flank. One older, top level player, and one homegrown kid to develop and learn under him. We don't need a third top level player in the position.

If we swap Martial for even the most basic of RW players, we'd be significantly better off next season in terms of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sanchez and Rashford are enough for the left flank. One older, top level player, and one homegrown kid to develop and learn under him. We don't need a third top level player in the position.

If we swap Martial for even the most basic of RW players, we'd be significantly better off next season in terms of balance.

We need a right winger all right but i can't help thinking letting Martial go will be a huge mistake. He does need a change in attitude but there is so much potential there. Whether he realise's that potential is another thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ollkiller wrote: »
    We need a right winger all right but i can't help thinking letting Martial go will be a huge mistake. He does need a change in attitude but there is so much potential there. Whether he realise's that potential is another thing.

Right but we have two young, high potential striker-turned-LWers, and we've hit a point where to take the whole team to the next level, we might have to trade one of the two out.

I'd be of the opinion that with Sanchez (who, btw, IS a better player than either right now, and a core reason we've beaten big teams recently) at the club, we can't properly develop both Rashford and Martial.

And while Martial probably has a higher ceiling, I think its the homegrown kid that gets the nod in that situation.

Martial will venture off to a Bayern or a Juventus. A team where he can play utter **** teams for 80% of the year and look incredible. But he won't get the chance with us, nor have we the time right now to prioritize him. Jose next year HAS to challenge for the title properly. and a proper RW player makes that more likely than keeping Martial as a rotation player for an overstocked position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I agree with tsc here but as I said the only way is sacrifice martial is of we got a proper right winger in but he would need to be at a decent level.

There is no point in keeping Rashford and martial when all that's going to happen is that they will be In the way of each other progressing it would be much better to give Rashford or martial more game time and ship the other one on instead of having two left wingers fighting for same spots.

What RW would ye like to see signed? There isn't a whole lot out there.

A fit and healthy Bale would be ideal but I think he could be best avoided.
    We were linked to Malcom a few months back, I haven't seen a whole lot of him but he looks to have huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

yabadabado wrote: »
    What RW would ye like to see signed? There isn't a whole lot out there. A fit and healthy Bale would be ideal but I think he could be best avoided.
    We were linked to Malcom a few months back, I haven't seen a whole lot of him but he looks to have huge potential.

I was trying to think who could we sign, Bale's injury problems are ridiculous and I don't think it'll be worth what we'd have to pay.

I think Willian would be a good signing but probably hard to get from Chelsea after he got himslef back into the first team after Christmas and putting in some great performances.

Mahrez could be another one, he'll probably go during the summer but depends on cost.

Apart from that you'd be looking at putting a left sided player on the right, maybe a Douglas Costa or something.

I'd love if they did train up Martial or Rashford to the right, Rashford has played there a couple of times and played well once or twice. With the world cup on and both of them probably being in the respective squads I can't see that happening over the summer either.

Cheeky bid for the Mezzi lad at Barcelona, he's getting on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Willian functioning and firing would offer a great attacking dimension to the team as well as his set piece delivery. Depends on his relationship with Mourinho and whether the likely departure of Conte would encourage hom to stay and work under whoever they appoint next.

Willian would be a good option but I can't see Chelsea selling one their better players to us a second season in a row. Selling Matic was a major **** up by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

I could honestly see Martial developing elsewhere like De Bruyne/Lukaku/Salah did when they were let go by Chelsea.

Wouldn't like to see him go but I can see the argument as to why it might be the best option.

I don't see the big attraction of William to be honest he is a decent right sided player but he is not on the same level as Sanchez is to make exce0tions of a player of that age.

There are lots of right sided players out there I think the hardest part will be finding one that matches mourinho ideas of hard working wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

BenK wrote: »
    I could honestly see Martial developing elsewhere like De Bruyne/Lukaku/Salah did when they were let go by Chelsea.

Wouldn't like to see him go but I can see the argument as to why it might be the best option.

Best option is probably to not get rid of the best young player at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Martial won't be going anywhere, if he does I'll borrow someone's hat and figuratively eat said hat.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Martial won't be going anywhere, if he does I'll borrow someone's hat and figuratively eat said hat.

Think I have one left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Best option is probably to not get rid of the best young player at the club.

Who wants to sell Rashford?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Martial is a keep scenario UNLESS a huge bid comes in.

If PSG (example) paid a mad fee and he wants to leave then let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Martial push for a move in th summer.

Eriksen would be a great signing would cost a fortune though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement