Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

Whats the contract situations on all these spurs players its probably a no go price wise unless they are getting towards 2 years left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Martial won't be going anywhere, if he does I'll borrow someone's hat and figuratively eat said hat.

I doubt they'll be in a hurry for it back. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Eriksen would be a great signing would cost a fortune though

Would love him too he is at a great age too what a solid consistent player he would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Another zero added to de geas value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Have we still got the same fax machine?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With a lack of anything else to go "Muppet Mode" over...

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/989106362046181376?s=19

Sergej Milinković-Savić at Disneyland Paris the same day as Pogba and Herrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Agent Pog at work again

The quality on the ball of all the players on both teams is kinda annoying :D but surely the benchmark. Except hummels too much time training with Fido

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Hococop wrote: »
    Another zero added to de geas value

Just on the above, saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RealTalkMUFC/status/989222517079343104
    Manchester United fans are more worried about Keylor Navas making a mistake than Real Madrid fans.

Just on the above, saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RealTalkMUFC/status/989222517079343104

And for more than just the obvious DDG reason too I reckon :pac:

• Advertisement

And for more than just the obvious DDG reason too I reckon :pac:

Far as I'm concerned, Madrid can feck off, they had their chance, but the fax machine ran interference in the deal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With a lack of anything else to go "Muppet Mode" over...

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/989106362046181376?s=19

Sergej Milinković-Savić at Disneyland Paris the same day as Pogba and Herrera.

Yes please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

After watching that i think liverpools name is on the trophy

If it came to a Real/Liverpool final, I'd back Real cause they always seem to pull it out of the bag, and Klopp's not exactly got a great record in finals..

After watching that i think liverpools name is on the trophy

Over two games against each team, they have scored at least five goals against every team they played in the CL this season. They're on fire in the comp.

I don't think their name is on the trophy yet, especially if they need to beat Real in one game to win it. However, maybe it is time for us to form plans for a silo/hatch in the ground we can all decamp to in the event of the worst happening.

Over two games against each team, they have scored at least five goals against every team they played in the CL this season. They're on fire in the comp.

I don't think their name is on the trophy yet, especially if they need to beat Real in one game to win it. However, maybe it is time for us to form plans for a silo/hatch in the ground we can all decamp to in the event of the worst happening.

And bloody never will be, Real & Ronnie to squash any notions they might have..

At least Zindane isn't beyond being some what pragmatic to nullify another teams strengths. Doubt you see Madrids defence on the half way line in the final if they both get there

Anything to be said for an Italian Job next week & Roma beating Liverpool?

They overcame Barcelona, so I'm not ruling anything out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Anything to be said for an Italian Job next week & Roma beating Liverpool?

They overcame Barcelona, so I'm not ruling anything out...

Not a hope in hell I would say. No other team in the world are playing a more effective counter attacking game and Roma have to come out and play. If Liverpool don't score at least 1 goal it would be a big shock.

Back to Utd....

I think Martial leaving is almost inevitable. He wants to play as the front man and Lukaku is going nowhere anytime soon so he probqbly has to change clubs to play in his preferred position. I don't think he will ever be truly settled whole playing a wide role for us.

Sh1tty situation for us but if the right replacement is brought in then the team will benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Salah would/will crucify Marcelo's laissez-faire attitude to defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

3rd jersey

man-utd-18-19-third-kit%2B%25282%2529.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The S*n linking Evans with a £3 million return to United....... again.
    He had his time at United,let him join Everton or West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

xtal191 wrote: »
    3rd jersey

man-utd-18-19-third-kit%2B%25282%2529.jpg

That is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The S*n linking Evans with a £3 million return to United....... again.
    He had his time at United,let him join Everton or West Ham.

For 3m be crazy not to sign him. A very good defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Quandary wrote: »

I think Martial leaving is almost inevitable. He wants to play as the front man and Lukaku is going nowhere anytime soon so he probqbly has to change clubs to play in his preferred position. I don't think he will ever be truly settled whole playing a wide role for us.

Sh1tty situation for us but if the right replacement is brought in then the team will benefit

I seem to recall Mourinho selling de Bruyne to Wolfsburg at the age of 22 and sending Salah to Italy as surplus to requirements at the age of 22

I'm not convinced that Martial has shown his true form yet at United, whether it be playing out of position or just still to hit his stride with consistent starts, but at the age of 22 I'm not convinced that getting rid now is the best idea. There's a potentially seriously good player in there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

For 3m be crazy not to sign him. A very good defender

We have enough back up defenders. We need a starter to partner Bailly.

At this stage of his career I doubt he would be happy with being on the bench most of the time either.

I don't care if Evans was free i still wouldn't be signing him he is a very good defender but he aint ever going to be a world class defender and he ain't any better then our best 2 or 3 defenders and that's what we need to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We have enough back up defenders. We need a starter to partner Bailly.

At this stage of his career I doubt he would be happy with being on the bench most of the time either.

Need a centre half to build around.I fear Bailey is going to be injury prone and only good for half a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Need a centre half to build around.I fear Bailey is going to be injury prone and only good for half a season.

It’s ok we’ll have Jones for the other half then when he’s not injured

8-10 wrote: »
    I seem to recall Mourinho selling de Bruyne to Wolfsburg at the age of 22 and sending Salah to Italy as surplus to requirements at the age of 22

I'm not convinced that Martial has shown his true form yet at United, whether it be playing out of position or just still to hit his stride with consistent starts, but at the age of 22 I'm not convinced that getting rid now is the best idea. There's a potentially seriously good player in there

I don't think anyone doubts his ability but he needs to be playing consistently to release his potential.

But the club doesn't have the luxury to be able play a player every week that is not playing to the standard needed for him to develop.

Imagine playing martial week in and week out and he is costing the team points and he gets criticised for it well then he is never going to develope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

agh c'mon thats a bit harsh on Bailly... he should be fine start of next season after a full summer off...

I'd be more concerned about Rojo being out and having his contract extended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

brinty wrote: »
    agh c'mon thats a bit harsh on Bailly... he should be fine start of next season after a full summer off...

I'd be more concerned about Rojo being out and having his contract extended...
    Don't get me wrong would like to see him starting every game but just think he's not going to be able. Hope I'm wrong. Agree totally with you on Rojo and also jones

This crap about Jose letting salah go too. Salah was signed to be a top class winger for Chelsea and when he was there albeit for a short time he didn't actually play all that well he scored 2 goals in 20 games.

He went back to Italy and scored 35 or so goals in 90 games in Italian league now you tell me that Jose should of said few years ago while going for a league title oh this guy is going to score over 40 league goals In the premiership at the age of 25....

He is having a phenomenal season no doubt but he has already scored more goals on one season then he scored in his previous four seasons combined he simply never ever looked like he could reach the standard he has until he joined Liverpool and played under klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Absolutely no need to sign Evans no matter the cost. United need to sign a top class CB to build the defence around. Plenty of squad CBs without buying another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    This crap about Jose letting salah go too. Salah was signed to be a top class winger for Chelsea and when he was there albeit for a short time he didn't actually play all that well he scored 2 goals in 20 games.

He went back to Italy and scored 35 or so goals in 90 games in Italian league now you tell me that Jose should of said few years ago while going for a league title oh this guy is going to score over 40 league goals In the premiership at the age of 25....

He is having a phenomenal season no doubt but he has already scored more goals on one season then he scored in his previous four seasons combined he simply never ever looked like he could reach the standard he has until he joined Liverpool and played under klopp.

And who says that this season won't be his exception rather than his norm...
    saw claims tuesday night he should be given the balon d'or already... seriously... what do people be like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Salah, De Bryune and lukaku were all a case of quality players but too young and raw to make it under Jose. He generally manages clubs winning or seriously challanging for titles and champions leagues. Younger players, no matter how good, are generally inconsistent and they generally don’t like being dropped. If you are challanging for titles you will drop an inconsistent youngster and they might struggle to get back into the team.

What people neglect (when pointing at Jose for selling them) is that All three of those players joined lesser clubs (Roma, Everton and Wolfsburg). There wasn’t a Liverpool or city or united beating down Chelsea’s door to get them. These players weren’t ready for that level and matured/benefited greatly from starting at smaller clubs and being able to mature in a less pressure environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

164053Salt1524729287.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Drumpot wrote: »
    What people neglect (when pointing at Jose for selling them) is that All three of those players joined lesser clubs (Roma, Everton and Wolfsburg). There wasn’t a Liverpool or city or united beating down Chelsea’s door to get them. These players weren’t ready for that level and matured/benefited greatly from starting at smaller clubs and being able to mature in a less pressure environment.

Lets pretend for a minute that your excuse for Jose letting these three top class payers slip through his fingers is correct and these players weren't ready to play at the "Jose level" whilst he was managing Chelsea the obvious question then is.........................why did he sign them? Did he not know himself that they weren't ready for his "level" or did he just sign them for the craic like knowing they wouldn't get into his team and he'd have to move them on to smaller clubs?

saw claims tuesday night he should be given the balon d'or already... seriously... what do people be like...

Like Mickey Quinn’s wonder season in 92/93!

micky-quinn.jpg

Separated at birth?

_101024580_gettyimages-950834508.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think it's a case of buying too young. Foreign players rarely spend more than 5 years with a PL club these days, and they start to peak somewhere between 23 and 26

Means if you're a selling club you should be getting them in at 19/20 to sell when they start killing it, and if you're a big club like United you should in general buy at 22/23 to get the strong years.

There's obviously exceptions and Martial is one of those where they probably said we have to move now otherwise he'll go somewhere else...I'm just saying that if you make that move you have to back it. I'd be sending him out on loan, Lyon or Marsellie for example for a year and then making the sell or keep decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Here is the weather for today;
    Early morning lurkers about, but it will be a mild day with passing showers, although gusty winds may make it feel colder.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lets pretend for a minute that your excuse for Jose letting these three top class payers slip through his fingers is correct and these players weren't ready to play at the "Jose level" whilst he was managing Chelsea the obvious question then is.........................why did he sign them? Did he not know himself that they weren't ready for his "level" or did he just sign them for the craic like knowing they wouldn't get into his team and he'd have to move them on to smaller clubs?

Probably for the Same reason the likes of Liverpool sign every half decent Southampton player. You just don’t know until you try eh?

And anyways , Chelsea were stockpiling youngsters and sending them out on loan back then.... these players weren’t good enough to start for top teams back then.

I dont think it will be a one off Maybe he won't get 40 plus next year but he is definite a top quality player that will get over 30 each season.

Also while I think it's too early to be talking about him winning that he most definitely should be considered if pool do actually pull off the cup win why shouldn't he be? It's the standard for other winners after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chelsea football club signed them, under their own transfer model which doesn't always rely on the manages decisions (as evidenced by the signings or lack of signings that annoyed Mourinho prior to being fired and have also annoyed Conte prior to him probably leaving this summer).

My dad is a chelsea fan and thought:

Salah was rubbish (and was sold 6 months after Mourinho was sacked so Chelsea football club thought he wasn't good enough, not just Jose).
    KDB didn't work hard enough - and changed as a person/character after leaving Chelsea. Also said KDB and JM just didn't get on.
    Lukaku just wasn't good enough, an opinion he still held last summer and didn't want Chelsea to sign him back - didn't hold the ball up well enough, didn't have a good enough touch, didn't have enough positional inteligence, couldn't lead a team anywhere near as well as Drogba or Costa.

I dont think it will be a one off Maybe he won't get 40 plus next year but he is definite a top quality player that will get over 30 each season.

Also while I think it's too early to be talking about him winning that he most definitely should be considered if pool do actually pull off the cup win why shouldn't he be? It's the standard for other winners after all.

I think of him like Leicester’s league winning season. Everything is going right and the momentum and confidence is just at exceptional levels. No injuries and he’s playing in an attacking explosive team that compliments his talents..

I’m not saying he won’t do well next season but I’m not convinced he would perform at that level at a top club. Sort of like Torres who wasn’t putting up the same sort of statistics up when he went to a club with bigger aspirations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How can people not realise a 20-22 year old is different to a 25 - 26 year old is baffling.

Stop pretending and talk truthh..... Jose did not sign lukaku or De Bryune both were at the club before he joined and both left the club because they wanted to play first team football.

I think of him like Leicester’s league winning season. Everything is going right and the momentum and confidence is just at exceptional levels. No injuries and he’s playing in an attacking explosive team that compliments his talents..

I’m not saying he won’t do well next season but I’m not convinced he would perform at that level at a top club. Sort of like Torres who wasn’t putting up the same sort of statistics up when he went to a club with bigger aspirations.

Ah I don't agree mate like he is performing at that level against decent players on champs league and premierleague the only thing different is next year it will be expected from him but I still think he will be capable of 30 goals a season.

pjohnson wrote: »
    How can people not realise a 20-22 year old is different to a 25 - 26 year old is baffling.

I remember a time when Trollls could actually stop you in their stride with good points mixed in between spiteful swipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Probably for the Same reason the likes of Liverpool sign every half decent Southampton player. You just don’t know until you try eh?

And anyways , Chelsea were stockpiling youngsters and sending them out on loan back then.... these players weren’t good enough to start for top teams back then.

Actually Liverpool were trying to sign Salah in 2014 but Chelsea came in and signed him instead

“But then I received a phone call from Mourinho and that changed everything. He explained the situation to me and told me that he needed me at Chelsea. That was one of the main reasons why I joined Chelsea.

“Mourinho told me that he thought I was a good player and that he wanted me to pick Chelsea.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement