Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pizzagate 2.0

uZFIoVa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No it’s not.... let’s let the food chat stop here

Says the man who started it all :pac: I joke I joke

Absolutely nothing really in the news today apart from MEN reporting that we are looking at Soares from Southampton for RB..

Now that would be underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

astradave wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing really in the news today apart from MEN reporting that we are looking at Soares from Southampton for RB..

Now that would be underwhelming

Sure would, it sounds a bit, Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

VW 1 wrote: »
    Sure would, it sounds a bit, Liverpool.

I'd rather give TFM a shot than buy Soares.

The arguement I can see for that type of signing is a quantity/quality issue.

THere are decent arguments for United looking at:

LB
    CB
    RB
    CM
    CM
    RW

And possibly a backup LB on top of that too.

Maybe Jose wants to spend big on certain positions and feels he needs another signing in some positions but that we don't need to go BIG on those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

Thinking about it the last couple of days, I'd like if we signed Bertrand. He'd slot straight in there, wouldn't be too expensive, is homegrown and still only 28. Has won trophies in the past as well and would probably know Jones, Smalling and Shaw and the likes from England set up.

Wouldn't be the signing of the season or a signing to overcome the gap to city but a smart fix for a problem position we have. I'd prefer him to Rose at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is Bertrand much/any upgrade on Young?

I'd rather a first choice LB was bought who will be an upgrade on the players currently in the squad and have Young as back up option.

LB must be a priority this summer, get some in who can nail down the spot for foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

yabadabado wrote:
    Is Bertrand much/any upgrade on Young?

I'd definitely see him as an upgrade. 5 years younger and playing in his actual position

Not sure if he was at Chelsea under mourinho and let go though so that could be a reason they might not look at him.

Even to buy him for a back up if we can get him on the cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Maybe Jose wants to spend big on certain positions and feels he needs another signing in some positions but that we don't need to go BIG on those positions.

In reckon in a position like the wing backs, it won't be hard to upgrade. What I mean by that is that while I like Val and Young, it feels as if a solid RB and LB, as opposed to a world class one, would still kick us up a level overall.

We have zero attacking threat down the right hand side currently. Maybe Jose feels, especially if Martial leaves, that a top level RW player coupled with a solid RB player would be enough of an upgrade to let him challenge next year.

We aren't going to bring in 7 world class players, so even if its temporary solid options for one or two positions, players to play first team next season and be back up the season after, might be the way he goes.

Hell, I'd actually love to see an "underwhelming" signing that jose feels fits his system better than forcing a big name into the positions for the sake of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I said yesterday I'd take Bertrand over Rose if we have to get an English LB. I still wouldn't be confident of either actually getting ahead of Young. Young is probably one the best LB's in the league this year so if we want a starting LB we need to really look abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Southampton dont exactly let players go on the cheap when you look at some tgat they've moved on in the past five years. Unless Bertrand was in the last year of his contract or something, not sure where the notion he could be gotten cheaply comes from.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No it’s not.... let’s let the food chat stop here

Seriously?

Edit: Yes, yep, seriously! Thanks for the clarification Mr. Mac.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Southampton dont exactly let players go on the cheap when you look at some tgat they've moved on in the past five years. Unless Bertrand was in the last year of his contract or something, not sure where the notion he could be gotten cheaply comes from.

They will have to if they are relegated I’d say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hell, I'd actually love to see an "underwhelming" signing that jose feels fits his system better than forcing a big name into the positions for the sake of it...

Like Matic ? In the sense that everyone was talking about Griezman/Kross/Morata etc and he seemed like a champions cast off (tho we all know now he wasn’t)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Romeu would be worth looking at as well as a backup midfielder to matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    Romeu would be worth looking at as well as a backup midfielder to matic

Speaking of Southampton midfielders, I thought Lemina looked really good at the start of the season. Haven't heard/noticed much of him since. Anyone been keeping an eye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus the thought of bringing Evans back. Would be ludicrous.

adox wrote: »

Just the thoughts of the ball floating over his head and the strikers running behind while he scrambles to get back sends a shiver down my spine!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Am I the only one who thinks Big Mac whenever MrMac84 posts?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lithium93_ wrote: »

And when bangkok posts what feelings do you have x ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nalz wrote: »
    And when bangkok posts what feelings do you have x ?

p41184.png

• Advertisement

I think of that kids' movie which terrified me as a kid, 'Mac and Me'.

It's not far from what you thought, as 'Mac and Me' was effectively a huge paid-for advertisement for McDonalds, the fast-food franchise.

hKTptff.jpg?1

It's not far from what you thought, as 'Mac and Me' was effectively a huge paid-for advertisement for McDonalds, the fast-food franchise.

hKTptff.jpg?1

I've a feeling that film maybe a bit before my time, however out of curiosity, I'm gonna go and Google it....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »

Fair to Evans he can play left side CB, is good with the ball. Fills squad needs re home grown for league and Europe. Knows United and high pressure games. It is really not a mad suggestion.

On squad building re next season. CM is the priority (yet again). Then Full Backs. After that I think attack would only benefit from another Sanchez type becoming available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

hKTptff.jpg?1

More of a coke advert I thought, also I loved it

I've a feeling that film maybe a bit before my time, however out of curiosity, I'm gonna go and Google it....

Read this if you're at all interested. With the gifs and footage included in the article, it gives you a good enough idea without you ever having to feast your eyes upon the actual movie.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/mcdonalds-mac-and-me-paul-rudd-movie-et-spinoff

Just terrifying it was.

Anyway, United related...

*Searches r/reddevils*

Sanchez and Lukaku are gym friends...

https://streamable.com/zy7xw

Arsenal should really win this game now, madrid a man down, few of them lads def be rested on sunday

Never big mac, always this mac

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If we're going to go raid Southampton after they're relegated, I'd take Ward Prowse along with Bertrand. Bertrand would be a decent upgrade at LB and Ward Prowse would be a good bench option to have imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ugh, the possibility of all our rivals with a trophy at the end of the season pisses me off.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ugh, the possibility of all our rivals with a trophy at the end of the season pisses me off.

we can still win fa cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

J. Marston wrote: »

If they both stay true to form we have **** all to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

we can still win fa cup

That's why I said all our rivals, which would mean us losing the FA Cup.

Anyway, Arsenal have an uphill battle now at least. Hope we can pile on the misery this weekend. No pleasant farewell for Wenger, please.

jayo26 wrote: »

And Arsenal true to form, just couldn't get it over the line. Atletico to punish them in the 2nd leg next Thursday..

And Arsenal true to form, just couldn't get it over the line. Atletico to punish them in the 2nd leg next Thursday..

Only conceded something like 4 goals at home all season.

we can still win fa cup

We can indeed, and doing that and finishing 2nd would be a good season of progress.

I can only envision the memes though if/when our rivals reach their respective finals.

The FA Cup will never have been worth less, not even the year we ignored it and fúcked off to play in the World Club Championship.

Au contraire Jayo, if Liverpool remain true to form in the competition we'll have a bit to worry about. They've been unreal in it, as much as it kills me to say.

If you were talking about a certain manager's record in cup finals, okay then. But unfortunately that will have to be broken eventually. It's not like the man is cursed. :(

Only conceded something like 4 goals at home all season.

Something like that, and only 18 conceded all season.. That's if I'm using Squawka correctly, then again I'm sure some stats whiz will come along and correct me if i'm wrong..

We can indeed, and doing that and finishing 2nd would be a good season of progress.

I can only envision the memes though if/when our rivals reach their respective finals.

The FA Cup will never have been worth less, not even the year we ignored it and fúcked off to play in the World Club Championship.

Ah would be unbearable for sure but thankfully it's not a regular occurrence.

Saying that I don't know how bad it is going to be because the last time they won something major the idea of social media was some new up and coming app called bebo.

The only good thing about Liverpool possibly winning the champions league is it's a world cup year so we will have that for a month to distract us

• Advertisement

Something like that, and only 18 conceded all season.. That's if I'm using Squawka correctly, then again I'm sure some stats whiz will come along and correct me if i'm wrong..

18 conceded in the league.

Ah would be unbearable for sure but thankfully it's not a regular occurrence.

Saying that I don't know how bad it is going to be because the last time they won something major the idea of social media was some new up and coming app called bebo.

True that. In 2005 I'm sure there was a soccer forum, but perhaps nothing like the beast it became in later years. Memes weren't really a thing, 95% of people on social media having an unbendable opinion wasn't really a thing. There have been some massive steps in socio-technological evolution since 2005.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes...from my biodome on the fúcking moon.

True that. In 2005 I'm sure there was a soccer forum, but perhaps nothing like the beast it became in later years. Memes weren't really a thing, 95% of people on social media having an unbendable opinion wasn't really a thing. There have been some massive steps in socio-technological evolution since 2005.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes...from my biodome on the fúcking moon.

Yeah I'm going to visit my old buddy Robinson Cruesow if it happens.

Don’t worry lads, I’ll hold the fort, as I couldn’t really give a flying shïte what they do. I’ll continue to concentrate on our own team :D

astradave wrote: »
    Don’t worry lads, I’ll hold the fort, as I couldn’t really give a flying shïte what they do. I’ll continue to concentrate on our own team :D

I've tried that, then West Brom scored a winning goal at Old Trafford. Worst case Ontario I'll just X the tab which Boards is open on for a while.

Any Liverpool fans in real life who are friends of mine will be too busy celebrating such a triumph, rather than running up, knocking my door and shouting 'Ahahaha' in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I've tried that, then West Brom scored a winning goal at Old Trafford. Worst case Ontario I'll just X the tab which Boards is open on for a while.

Any Liverpool fans in real life who are friends of mine will be too busy celebrating such a triumph, rather than running up, knocking my door and shouting 'Ahahaha' in my face.

Yeah. Before I encountered the boards.ie soccer forum, Liverpool and their fans... it was all just a healthy rivalry. This place changes people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

The only good thing about Liverpool possibly winning the champions league is it's a world cup year so we will have that for a month to distract us

Theres nothing good about them winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Surely you're looking forward to Chris de Burgh appearing in our national media declaring his love for Liverpool, his favorite soccer ball team whilst keeping a healthy distance from the rest of the Liverpool fans in case he might catch something unpleasant.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Au contraire Jayo, if Liverpool remain true to form in the competition we'll have a bit to worry about. They've been unreal in it, as much as it kills me to say.

If you were talking about a certain manager's record in cup finals, okay then. But unfortunately that will have to be broken eventually. It's not like the man is cursed. :(

He's from Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I wouldn't mind us signing De Ligt and loaning him out for 2 years, seems a top talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If Liverpool win it they will win it on merit, they are where they are because they have been the best team in the competition this year and are deserving of their spot so I've no issue with that.

Once their most exuberant fans that would inevitably wander in here for a wu are met with the same level of action that some United fans have had elsewhere that is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement