Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm slow right now, so hadn't realised that Arsenal are likely to rest a load of players this weekend against us thanks to their result last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The only good thing about Liverpool possibly winning

Had to stop reading there!

There is NO good thing about them winning ANYTHING not a mind the Champions League and that’s from a fella who’s father in law and fiancé have season tickets for the kop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm slow right now, so hadn't realised that Arsenal are likely to rest a load of players this weekend against us thanks to their result last night.

Sweet. Good call on that. Although it would be just like an arsenal reserve team to over perform in a meaninglesss game and their first team to revert to type and lose the bigger game when they need it next Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I said that already during the week. I think we will beat them easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »

That is not something United tend to do.

We never make it easy, you mean? Maybe we can give them the two goal head start from kick off to speed the process along a bit.

Would be nice to say we beat all of the other top six in recent weeks. :)

Nope but its arsenal. Always seem to do well against them and they wont have a strongest 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You say this before most matches though so you have something point to if/when we don’t make it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Bookies have us down at ~2/5. We surely haven't been priced shorter to beat Arsenal in the Wenger era, although I wonder what odds they would have been when that Overmars goal turned the tide in Wengers seconds season.

(i think that's terrible value and no way would I bet backing us at that price)

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Bookies have us down at ~2/5. We surely haven't been priced shorter to beat Arsenal in the Wenger era, although I wonder what odds they would have been when that Overmars goal turned the tide in Wengers seconds season.

Back us -2 :)

• Advertisement

We never make it easy, you mean? Maybe we can give them the two goal head start from kick off to speed the process along a bit.

Would be nice to say we beat all of the other top six in recent weeks. :)

Yes, I mean we tend not to do things easy. Matches we should be comfortable in we labour about in far too much.

West Brom a great recent example but by god did we make a meal of those Seville ties and go out because of it.

United should be getting City-esque results a lot of weeks, and we end up coming away with a 'job done, 3 points is all that matters' performance even when we do win.

S.M.B. wrote: »

Our home record this season is 13 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

Arsenal's away record is 3 wins, 4 draws, 9 losses.

In recent weeks, we've beaten City, Pool, Chelsea and Spurs. We're in better form than Arsenal in the league, had a midweek rest when they didn't, AND they will likely rest players due to the fact the EL is their best chance at a CL spot next season now.

I'd agree with the bookies here; we should be overwhelming favorites on paper.

Our home record this season is 13 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

Arsenal's away record is 3 wins, 4 draws, 9 losses.

In recent weeks, we've beaten City, Pool, Chelsea and Spurs. We're in better form than Arsenal in the league, had a midweek rest when they didn't, AND they will likely rest players due to the fact the EL is their best chance at a CL spot next season now.

I'd agree with the bookies here; we should be overwhelming favorites on paper.

100% agree - but I have zero confidence in United to actually just go out there and show Arsenal who is boss.

My guess is that on paper the teams will be completely overmatched in our favour but we will play a weirdly off tempo game, with stupid passing and careless decisions while Arsenal buzz around the place with little pressure on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So Gerrard looks like being the next Ranger's boss, another league that he won't win.
    I can't wait until his first Old Firm game when he can't help himself and starts belting out You'll never walk alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Drumpot wrote: »
    Sweet. Good call on that. Although it would be just like an arsenal reserve team to over perform in a meaninglesss game and their first team to revert to type and lose the bigger game when they need it next Thursday.

Sure if that's the case, Jose can go on a rant to the media complaining about how arsenal didnt need the points and we did.

Also, arsenal haven't won a point away from home in 2018 i read this morning. They better not start now!

VW 1 wrote: »
    Sure if that's the case, Jose can go on a rant to the media complaining about how arsenal didnt need the points and we did.

Also, arsenal haven't won a point away from home in 2018 i read this morning. They better not start now!

Actually makes me think of Fergusons comments on Leeds/Forrest trying harder against United in 1996 that led to "I will love it if we beat them" comments from Keegan . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So Gerrard looks like being the next Ranger's boss, another league that he won't win.
    I can't wait until his first Old Firm game when he can't help himself and starts belting out You'll never walk alone.

In fairness, fair play to him going to a lesser team to try his hand instead of waiting on a golden handout like Giggsy..

Will be interesting to see how he does, hopefully not very well :D

'Pogba: I'm judged differently'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11347607

hmmmm, the defensive part of the midfield game is what you are being judged most harshly on, Paul.... cause you are doing kinda rubbish at it, which is why you are expected to be getting goals or assists.

• Advertisement

hmmmm, the defensive part of the midfield game is what you are being judged most harshly on, Paul.... cause you are doing kinda rubbish at it, which is why you are expected to be getting goals or assists.

5 goals 12 assists is a decent return considering where he has played most of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

5 goals 12 assists is a decent return considering where he has played most of the season

He has played midfield......this is also highly amusing given the link you posted.

pjohnson wrote: »
    He has played midfield......this is also highly amusing given the link you posted.

Midfield in a 2 with matic for the majority of his games

Midfield in a 2 with matic for the majority of his games

Ah so this is the circle you want to run today.

You aren't doing him any favours trotting those stats out and I don't think he would thank you for it. He actually said in the interview he thinks its unfair that people only judge him on goal and assist statistics.

The ironic thing is that its been his efforts outside of goals/assists that are peoples issue. His perceived workrate, particularly off the ball, is poor. Pogba seems to think people are judging him on the simple stats when I don't think that's the case at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness, fair play to him going to a lesser team to try his hand instead of waiting on a golden handout like Giggsy..

Will be interesting to see how he does, hopefully not very well :D

Going to a club that used to be very successful and still lives in the past..... he'll do ok in familiar territory.

• Advertisement

You aren't doing him any favours trotting those stats out and I don't think he would thank you for it. He actually said in the interview he thinks its unfair that people only judge him on goal and assist statistics.

The ironic thing is that its been his efforts outside of goals/assists that are peoples issue. His perceived workrate, particularly off the ball, is poor. Pogba seems to think people are judging him on the simple stats when I don't think that's the case at all.

Thats what I got from the link aswell , but bangkok is judging him on the simple stats which isn't what Pogba wants. Also Bangkoks 5g and 12a is in reality 6g and 11a per that link. I dont think he read it tbh.

I would agree with him. He was very good against chelsea at home but some of the comments in here were he was poor/average as he didnt score or create goal when in fact he had a very good game and dominated the midfield and kept everything simple

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats what I got from the link aswell , but bangkok is judging him on the simple stats which isn't what Pogba wants. Also Bangkoks 5g and 12a is in reality 6g and 11a per that link. I dont think he read it tbh.

I wasnt including the goal he scored for france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't pay much attention to refs, unless it is Martin Atkinson who's rubbish or corrupt performances have cost us more than once vs Chelsea specifically.

Is there actually a ref who could be named, that people would not moan about?

There is actually some that I thought would be fine, or would go on to be fine, then turned out pretty rubbish.

I actually don't mind seeing Bobby Madley. Someone will probably spring up with "omg he did this" but point being his howlers don't resonate, and he seems to have a somewhat down to earth way of dealing with incidents and players that isn't condascending.

I know his little meme from Newscatle there recently did the rounds and while hilarious, thought it summed him up pretty well. He tends to engage with players and not treat them like children or treat himself as some rockstar.

But like I've said before the standard has been on the slope for years, and it's all accumulated now with no English based ref attending the world cup for the first time in a long time.

Bit of a double edged sword in that involvement numbers are off a cliff at grass roots, so its a smaller and smaller pool to pick from each time, but eventually football will realise no one wants to do it because its a stupid job, its a pointless job, and why the actual **** in 2018 would you want that much grief, where in every other sport they have long since moved away from one person in black being the sole decision maker

You've got to know when to play attacking football and when to be more aware of your opponents strengths and adjust.

I wish we'd be more attack minded in games against significantly weaker teams. But teams that go to Anfield and have their back line on the halfway line are, time and time again, murdered.

You know I keep seeing you post the justification for how we went about things, but I keep thinking this is recency bias in effect.

You know Liverpool were a ****ing mess of a team when we went to play them? They were leaking goals all over the place, their midfield was in bits and they were there for the taking.

The issue people took, and imo rightly so in that game, is it was Mourinho failing to lay a marker down early in the season, failing to send a reverberating message through the league and instead reverting to type, his what can sometimes be described "safety first" (cowardly in some quarters) style and tactic.

He played the name, Liverpool FC, and not the team.

And plenty would argue it was the turning point for both teams. We lost all momentum and started to splutter our way through the season while Liverpool came away intact from maybe sweating a bad beat, and their form started to rise and rise.

I know it's an ancient game at this stage of the season, and it was talked to death. Just can't ever let it settle with me this justification being used as some form of "good thing" that Jose did. Liverpool and ourselves where in a totally different place when we went to Anfield.

( I know your post is three days old that I quoted, I'm on serious catchup mode <3 )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

As if “most” Irish United needed a reason not to like him more!

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/989119516700442630

"Man United will rival Tottenham for Ryan Sessegnon's signature this summer, sources have confirmed to ESPN."

Do we really need ANOTHER player that players on the left but cuts in to congest the middle? Like really....

WHERE ARE ALL THE LEFT FOOTED INSIDE FORWARDS?!?!

Literally Arjen Robben still ranks in a top 5 list you make. Where are all the lefties?

Can we just take Luke Shaw and convert him into a RW cutting inside? :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know I keep seeing you post the justification for how we went about things, but I keep thinking this is recency bias in effect.

You know Liverpool were a ****ing mess of a team when we went to play them? They were leaking goals all over the place, their midfield was in bits and they were there for the taking.

The issue people took, and imo rightly so in that game, is it was Mourinho failing to lay a marker down early in the season, failing to send a reverberating message through the league and instead reverting to type, his what can sometimes be described "safety first" (cowardly in some quarters) style and tactic.

And plenty would argue it was the turning point for both teams. We lost all momentum and started to splutter our way through the season while Liverpool came away intact from maybe sweating a bad beat, and their form started to rise and rise.

I know it's an ancient game at this stage of the season, and it was talked to death. Just can't ever let it settle with me this justification being used as some form of "good thing" that Jose did. Liverpool and ourselves where in a totally different place when we went to Anfield.

( I know your post is three days old that I quoted, I'm on serious catchup mode <3 )
    Defence was poor and midfield there for the taking at the time yes, but their attack was still potent.

I didn't have an issue with the more general approach to the match - I still maintain the big problem that day was United player terribly, regardless of the tactics. We were set up to draw them forward and counter them - but every time we got the ball at the back we'd fail to pass it more than twice or futher than 10 yards. Had the players been able to actually play football, we may have been able to counter as we set up to do.

United playing rubbish, regardless of tactics, is something we have seen a few times this season, and that day was one of them.

Eriksen would be a great signing would cost a fortune though

As much as I'd love Eriksen Old Trafford has become a graveyard for number 10's.

I know he can play out wide right, but its just where he features on a team sheet, he's always coming central or just roaming.

Kinda what Lingard or Mata does I guess? Better then both though. And there was that interesting agent story a while back or how Eriksen invited him to his house to pick his brain about how does he get a move to a big club ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So the way this pogba discussion is going to go is people will disagree with bangkok and he will fire off statistics then whwn there is a few back and forths bangkok will say how come its always pogba thats been criticised!!!!!!

Because you keep bringing him for no good reason that hasn't been discussed at length before.

Do we really need ANOTHER player that players on the left but cuts in to congest the middle? Like really....

WHERE ARE ALL THE LEFT FOOTED INSIDE FORWARDS?!?!

Literally Arjen Robben still ranks in a top 5 list you make. Where are all the lefties?

Can we just take Luke Shaw and convert him into a RW cutting inside? :D

Is that his style of play from left back? I would have assumed the fact he is left footed would have him going outside a lot.

Not seen him play though, and many reckon he will end up playing left wing rather than left back.

50million on a very young left back feels unlikely for Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Look at it from rangers point of view lads its a bloody masterstroke.

Is there a better person to bring into the club to stop Brendan Rodgers from winning a trophy then Steven Gerrard?

jayo26 wrote: »

Is there a better person to bring into the club to stop Brendan Rodgers from winning a trophy then Steven Gerrard?

Fun fact, it's the anniversary of the slip today as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pogba during games where he drifts out of them has the ability to flick on a switch and do something magical. Whether a dangerous dribble that leads to a goal or a wonderful pass.

He has the talent, a lot of it. Leads expectations to be high. People expect a lot from him. People want him to be this dominating controlling figure in the centre.

Obviously he has had issues, consistency with form and not doing enough in a lot of the big games. I do believe he has been alright. Not disastrous but not at the level he is capable.

The fact that he is capable more has lead him to be judged a lot more. In some ways it's a compliment that people expect more from him. However, I have already been called bat**** crazy for saying some people who dislike him will never change their minds even when he performs well, I agree that he is judged differently but again like I said a lot stems back to his ability as the reason.

Looking back at the City game, I was home and decided to pop into the pub to watch it, full of United fans as always. During the half-time break a lot were saying we need to sell him off now, including a good friend of mine. He was adamant we wasted our time with him and cash in now. After the brilliant second half display and questioned him about whether he still felt the same his response was more that he wasn't going to praise him for doing what is expected of him. Obviously just an isolated situation but really hit home for me.

And on the Arsenal game, should be expecting a win there. Like already covered they have their eyes on CL from Europa.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    If we're going to go raid Southampton after they're relegated, I'd take Ward Prowse along with Bertrand. Bertrand would be a decent upgrade at LB and Ward Prowse would be a good bench option to have imo.

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg is a little gem sitting in that squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg is a little gem sitting in that squad

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this :cool:

Is that his style of play from left back? I would have assumed the fact he is left footed would have him going outside a lot.

Not seen him play though, and many reckon he will end up playing left wing rather than left back.

50million on a very young left back feels unlikely for Jose.

Seen Fulham a few times this year and he was playing as a left sided midfielder, or left of a front three.

Point being they had someone else playing LB each time.

I know he came on the scene as this really hot prospect attacking LB, but he's just been moved, somewhat like Bale, straight into an attacking position and he's done pretty well there.

If we bought him to then move him back to LB you'd have to question a)Is the player doing to want that and b) Why are you buying an electric goalscoring machine LW, to play him at LB c)We don't need another one.

He's pretty young and might well be one for the future but we need to call a spade a spade and realise there is no workable solution buying hot prospects for the future anymore. They are either being heavily involved or they will want to leave. Young lads used to playing week in week out arn't going to be happy sitting on a bench just because its a big club. And proper order too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Before a Jose’s Tactics v Players Performances debate breaks out over the Liverpool game remember that both players and manager have been guilty of costing us wins this season for a variety of reasons. As much as I hate the food talk over the last week it has kept our minds off of those painfully repetitive discussions.

Lets see out the season on a positive note and hope for a glorious transfer window.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this :cool:

Whatever about Pep claiming he will be a German midfield star when he had him at Munich, just anytime I see him, I'm always thoroughly impressed.

He's kinda like a German Herrera, except with less ****housery and a bit more finesse and ability.

Who wouldn't want another box to box player like Hererra in their team? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

100% agree - but I have zero confidence in United to actually just go out there and show Arsenal who is boss.

My guess is that on paper the teams will be completely overmatched in our favour but we will play a weirdly off tempo game, with stupid passing and careless decisions while Arsenal buzz around the place with little pressure on them.
    This. There's obvious reasons as to why the bookies are pricing United so low. Arsenal have yet to win a single away point in 2018 which is ludicrous.

However, having watched United's performances this season I would not be willing to put money on them at this price. If anything, most of United's poor performances this season have come when we've been favourites going into a game and the team assumes they can win in second or third gear.

Jose has made great progress this year and I now feel that we are capable of beating any team and we really should be beating Arsenal. The CL was actually there for the taking too which is a real shame. Unfortunately, I do think that these big wins come down to fine margins so results can go either way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

In a way yes but it has always been part of his strategy as a manager. Mourinho sets up his teams to not get beaten first and foremost in the big games.

His philosophy is that teams should be under pressure to win their home games. If you take that as a starting point then getting a draw in an away game against a rival is equivalent to taking 2 points from them.

It's a risk adverse strategy but Man Utd took a point at Anfield, Man City did not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whatever about Pep claiming he will be a German midfield star when he had him at Munich, just anytime I see him, I'm always thoroughly impressed.

He's kinda like a German Herrera, except with less ****housery and a bit more finesse and ability.

Who wouldn't want another box to box player like Hererra in their team? :D

Hojlberg is Danish and played 23 times in 3 seasons under Pep. Pep talks up every player he's asked about. Usually just before he ships them out. Especially when he was at Bayern.
    He also hasn't exactly lit the field up for Southampton.

• Advertisement

So the way this pogba discussion is going to go is people will disagree with bangkok and he will fire off statistics then whwn there is a few back and forths bangkok will say how come its always pogba thats been criticised!!!!!!

Because you keep bringing him for no good reason that hasn't been discussed at length before.

I'm actually siding more with Bangkok on this one. I understand criticisms of Pogba but some over the top ones I feel.

#TeamBangkok

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement