Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm actually siding more with Bangkok on this one. I understand criticisms of Pogba but some over the top ones I feel.

#TeamBangkok

Oh yea

#teambangkok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm actually siding more with Bangkok on this one. I understand criticisms of Pogba but some over the top ones I feel.

#TeamBangkok

but this article kinda goes against his narative, imo.

Pogba says it should be about goals and assists. To which Bangkok just comes out with goals and assists.

If Pogba wants to be judged on more than goals and assists, then criticism of his defensive work or more general play is absolutely warranted, cause a lot of the time it just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Seen Fulham a few times this year and he was playing as a left sided midfielder, or left of a front three.

Point being they had someone else playing LB each time.

I know he came on the scene as this really hot prospect attacking LB, but he's just been moved, somewhat like Bale, straight into an attacking position and he's done pretty well there.

If we bought him to then move him back to LB you'd have to question a)Is the player doing to want that and b) Why are you buying an electric goalscoring machine LW, to play him at LB c)We don't need another one.

He's pretty young and might well be one for the future but we need to call a spade a spade and realise there is no workable solution buying hot prospects for the future anymore. They are either being heavily involved or they will want to leave. Young lads used to playing week in week out arn't going to be happy sitting on a bench just because its a big club. And proper order too

He started the year as LB and then pushed up about half way through as they thought he was a better option for them going forward.. has had a very good season and don’t think he has missed a game either, plenty of goals and assists..

He’s much better higher up the pitch so I doubt we will be in for him as a FB and we have no need for him higher up

Lads, say the hashtag slowly and think about what ye are writing down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Despite looking at the transfer market think it would be interesting to have a look at some of the possible young guys in the squad who went on loan and what may be the next step for them.

My thoughts:
    Loaned out/youths:

Sam Johnstone: Fully expect Aston Villa to buy him off us during the window. Would like him to eventually find his way back to us.

Andreas Pereira:
    Looking like he will be on his way out, but not in as good of terms. Could be the one who gets away.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah: No doubt will make the step up to squad player in my mind. Cups and subs to begin with.

Axel Tuanzebe: Another loan deal I imagine is needed.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson: Maybe another loan but wouldn't be surprised if out the door. Leeds loan did not go to plan at all.

James Wilson:
    What could have been? So much expected from him but surely after his last stint at Sheffield he will be moving on, and probably down to Championship/League 1.

Anyone else?
    Also who do people think have a chance from reserves/youths to make the step up?

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

#TEAMBANGKOK #pineappleonapizza

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would agree on all of those - but CBJ will be sold as opposed to loaned, imo.

Wonder if Gomes and Chong will be kept next season - could be a good time to loan them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Is that his style of play from left back? I would have assumed the fact he is left footed would have him going outside a lot.

Not seen him play though, and many reckon he will end up playing left wing rather than left back.

50million on a very young left back feels unlikely for Jose.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Seen Fulham a few times this year and he was playing as a left sided midfielder, or left of a front three.

Yeah pretty sure I posted it the other day but without a link - he has featured more times on the left wing or AML than he has as a LB this season.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/322611/Show/Ryan-Sessegnon

A4jdStn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

#TeamBangkok

I agree some of it is but he majority of people in here support pogba but can say he has had a lot of poor games over the past 3 months.

but then you have a few extreme ones that say he has been sh1t for the past two years and dont alnowledge that he has been an important part of the team up until Christmas.

And then you have Bangkok on the other side that does nothing only defend him when someone remotely criticise him and does not aknowledge that he has been poor in his team effort for a large period over recent months.

But guess what it ends up as a back and forth between the two extremes and the ones that are fairly pointing out his flaws get caught in middle.

I have said loads of times that I can forgive pogba for poor performances what I don't forgive him for is lack of movement and effort I've been saying it for past two months but have also said when he has played well the odd game lately i don't feel that's over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Adamocovic wrote:

As a pool fan I even think some of the stuff about pogba is a bit much. The price tag is obviously the thing people are latching to. But to be honest he will probably sign at least one big name this summer and the pogba price will be forgotten about as it was so long ago. I think pogba will have a big season next year. Never mind the goals or assists. The holding up the ball is his game and he does it really brilliantly.

Mr.H wrote: »
    As a pool fan I even think some of the stuff about pogba is a bit much. The price tag is obviously the thing people are latching to. But to be honest he will probably sign at least one big name this summer and the pogba price will be forgotten about as it was so long ago. I think pogba will have a big season next year. Never mind the goals or assists. The holding up the ball is his game and he does it really brilliantly.

#teambangkok

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Despite looking at the transfer market think it would be interesting to have a look at some of the possible young guys in the squad who went on loan and what may be the next step for them.

My thoughts:
    Loaned out/youths:

Sam Johnstone: Fully expect Aston Villa to buy him off us during the window. Would like him to eventually find his way back to us.

Andreas Pereira:
    Looking like he will be on his way out, but not in as good of terms. Could be the one who gets away.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah: No doubt will make the step up to squad player in my mind. Cups and subs to begin with.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson: Maybe another loan but wouldn't be surprised if out the door. Leeds loan did not go to plan at all.

James Wilson: What could have been? So much expected from him but surely after his last stint at Sheffield he will be moving on, and probably down to Championship/League 1.

Anyone else?
    Also who do people think have a chance from reserves/youths to make the step up?

How is he still a United player ?

threein99 wrote: »
    How is he still a United player ?

If I recall correctly he didn't make the senior squad, went down to reserves and got loaned out.

As much expectations I had around him sadly his greatest contribution was going out on loan so that we had to give Rashford a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This reminds me of when Liverpool fans thought United should give David Moyes more support . . When a Pool fans defends a player or manager at United you have to be cautious . . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A4jdStn.gif

This would've been more appropriate...

Archer-Phrasing.jpg

Any excuse to post Archer :pac:

'Jose: No chance De Gea will leave'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11348580

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Drumpot wrote:
    This reminds me of when Liverpool fans thought United should give David Moyes more support . . When a Pool fans defends a player or manager at United you have to be cautious . .

Haha yea that's fair.

But to be honest if take pogba at Liverpool in a heartbeat. Could just imagine him holding the ball up for the likes of Salah and Mane to bomb on to.

I never even joked about moyes staying. Always said he was yer Hodgson. I have a lot of united friends and while of course it would make me grin to see ye fail, I actually enjoy the rivalry and want ye to be at he top. I'd obviously prefer if ye were at least one place behind us but sure can't have everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

My thoughts:
    Loaned out/youths:

Andreas Pereira:

James Wilson:
    What could have been? So much expected from him but surely after his last stint at Sheffield he will be moving on, and probably down to Championship/League 1.

Anyone else?

Wouldn't mind seeing if we could get Joel Pereira playing regularly.

Haha yea that's fair.

But to be honest if take pogba at Liverpool in a heartbeat. Could just imagine him holding the ball up for the likes of Salah and Mane to bomb on to.

I never even joked about moyes staying. Always said he was yer Hodgson. I have a lot of united friends and while of course it would make me grin to see ye fail, I actually enjoy the rivalry and want ye to be at he top. I'd obviously prefer if ye were at least one place behind us but sure can't have everything.

I think part of Pogba's issue is perception. He doesn't LOOK like he busts a gut during games, particularly when he doesn't LOOK like hes contributing much. He also seldom controls games and he doesn't have a particularly good defencive side to his game. It can be hard to identify what he is contributing when he isn't assisting or scoring. He doesn't look like he does much when the team has not got the ball. .

I also think Pogba's online millarky doesn't cut it with people when he is not playing well. You can say "he is entitled to promote his online stuff" etc. Nobody is disputing that, but his online stuff puts him more in the limelight and this will include highlighting him more when hes not doing it on the pitch. He is choosing to be one of these media self promoting players so he cant just expect or demand positive responses to it.

But if you think of Michael Carrick, when he was bought for up to 18.6mil mil was a fairly hefty fee at that time and uniteds 6th most expensive signing at the time. Carrick is not renowned for assists or goals or defensively superb. He was actually an all round midfielder (nearly a jack of all trade master of none) who excelled at being tidy and a good lubrication for midfield to keep things moving. He was also very consistent and reliable. This was enough for United fans.

Pogba is considered a "marquee signing" on the likes of Galactico level. I don't remember people having to defend the likes of Figo, Zidane or Ronaldo in the same way Pogba is dividing opinion. These guys let their football do all the talking and Pogba is doing as much talking as his football which antagonises people who think he needs to spend more time perfecting his form.

I would love to see Pogba show more consistency and add to his game like Lukaku has done over the season. Lukaku has had scraps to work off yet has posted very impressive statistics. People weren't saying "Well Lukaku isn't actually getting many scoring chances" when he was going through a rough patch. But Lukaku kept ploughing away and found a way to endear himself to the fans. He at least appears to be working hard to make it work. Its not evident that Pogba has the same sort of character and he looks like he actually feels sorry for himself at times!.

Its also funny that people think its ok to say "well Pogba has to have two central midfielders behind him to play his best" when Lukaku has been making the most out of what little opportunities the forward line has been making for him. That includes an underwhelming Pogba who should be primed to strike up a partnership with a friend he knows very well.

I don't think Pogba has been awful, I think he has consistently played below the level he is capable of. He has enough talent to play in multiple midfield positions but I think its more likely his application or openness (mentality) to filling positions his team needs that prevents him from putting in a decent shift outside his preferred forward role. He hasn't played consistently top notch enough for him to be demanding that the team be built around him. He hasn't proven that he can lead the club yet.

These are the reasons he divides opinion. People know hes better then what we are seeing and we don't all believe its the managers fault. Any by managers I mean Fergie and Jose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus lads,ye are slipping.

Happy slip day and to celebrate,Ba has just scored.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has to be the greatest assist in the history of the PL :D

Oh yeah it bloody slipped my mind

Meh. They could be lifting the CL trophy in 4 weeks time. 'Slip' is timeless and the day should be marked, but I don't feel like celebrating it this year. I didn't even sit down today to watch a rerun of the match with my Jose rubber mask on. I just wasn't feeling the vibe.

However, if they fail to lift that trophy, and aren't doing well next April, I'll probably go all-out for the 5 year anniversary. Get the Demba Ba/Stevie G/Jose cosplay going, might even turn it into a weekend event with a 'Whodunnit?' theme.

Did Jose and his pesky wolves plant some slippery material on the pitch? Did Stevie G just befall some very bad luck? Or...(dun, dun, dunnnn!) did someone within LFC plant the slippery material themselves?

Find out all this and more at the '2019 Slip Invitational'. Canapes and finger food provided, prizes for best costumes on the night.

Happy thankslipping day

For TSC who loves his WWE,even one of their fellas got in on the act tonight for the day that's in it.

https://twitter.com/r0bato/status/989965320222920704

For TSC who loves his WWE,even one of their fellas got in on the act tonight for the day that's in it.

Oh that, that is hilariously brilliant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was watching that live and i burst my hole with laughter, it made my year so far.

The commentary after it was just the icing on the cake

"I think a team without a Brazilian isn’t a team. I think their talent is fantastic and the creativity of the Brazilian player cannot be measured. I worked with Brazilian players in every team I coached, and I enjoyed a lot. Who knows we can have a Brazilian in the squad next year. I don’t believe it will be Willian, because Chelsea won’t make it possible"

Jose interview with ESPN Brazil.

Get ready for the Neymar rumours to get fired up.

• Advertisement

Great interview with De Gea.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/989983810413645825

"Sir Alex Ferguson compared me to a toddler taking their first steps. Then he said: 'The boy is walking now.' I felt emboldened".

'Before games, I'm a bit crazy. I get tense, I shake, dance. David pats me on the back, shrugs and says, "No, Ander, stand still, don't worry, it can't go wrong. If they shoot, they cannot score because I'm in goal". It's like nothing has happened.

"I think a team without a Brazilian isn’t a team. I think their talent is fantastic and the creativity of the Brazilian player cannot be measured. I worked with Brazilian players in every team I coached, and I enjoyed a lot. Who knows we can have a Brazilian in the squad next year. I don’t believe it will be Willian, because Chelsea won’t make it possible"

Jose interview with ESPN Brazil.

Get ready for the Neymar rumours to get fired up.

He obviously means pereira coming back from spa in he is a half Brazilian :)

Fred or Jorginho :D Jorginho was born in Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hope Wenger gets a great reception on his last visit to Old Trafford.
    Him taking over Arsenal and raising the bar there, really lit a fire under Ferguson. I don't think SAF would have been as driven as he was, for as long as he was, without the combative nature of the competition between the two men.
    The battles between the two sides are legendary and Wenger deserves a lot credit for that.

I do hope we hockey them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fcuk me sideways. Loved Infinity War. Enjoy it TSC!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Those Brazilian quotes are tasty. He obviously has someone in mind when he's making them.

Thought experiment. IF we signed Neymar, and I don't think we will, but IF we did...how would you want to line up?

Back to trying Sanchez on the right? Neymar in the middle as a CF?
    pjohnson wrote: »

Got my tickets booked for 1 o clock today.
    Can't remember being so hyped.

I was watching this morning when everyone else was asleep and woke people.

What an amazing moment. :P

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Got my tickets booked for 1 o clock today.
    Can't remember being so hypedP

Saw it for the second time last night. I loved it...

Make sure you don’t miss the start, it really sets the tone of the movie. Also the cinemas have been jammers so allow a few more minutes then your normally would , particularly if you want food. Both cinemas I went to struggles to get people in on time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    Saw it for the second time last night. I loved it...

Make sure you don’t miss the start, it really sets the tone of the movie. Also the cinemas have been jammers so allow a few more minutes then your normally would , particularly if you want food. Both cinemas I went to struggles to get people in on time.

Yeah, usually I wander in ten minutes after the "start time" to avoid the pointless ads, but will be there well early.

Also have a free large popcorn and coke saved up with a loyalty system too :D

pjohnson wrote: »

I've got my ticket for 6, and from reading the Marvel film thread in the superhero forum, I'm equal part excited, and equal part scared at what's coming :pac:

**** it though, 10 years worth of stories buildup, it's gonna be SWEET :D

Geeks

jayo26 wrote: »
    Geeks

Would Senor like a nacho hat with cheese? :pac:

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Would Senor like a nacho hat with cheese? :pac:

Make a change from the usual **** ones I have to eat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Here's a fun stat to start the weekend;

Sevilla have won one of their last 11 games. That was us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Hes+got+the+biggest+smile+ever+_8da3b745884e0a28422c17e9f643a6f8.jpg

4oc0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

1507136958880.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

They obviously have been taking notes and gave the grounds man the week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

limnam wrote: »
    They obviously have been taking notes and gave the grounds man the week off.

Very quiet in here considering they had a game today. Usually swamped with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

paulbok wrote: »
    Very quiet in here considering they had a game today. Usually swamped with them

Obviously stoke were like west Brom, how dare they not roll over and have they'd bellies tickled.

How very dare they.

Imagine Nice Guy Jose making comments like that, he would be torn to shreds by all and sundry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jayo26 wrote: »
    He obviously means pereira coming back from spa in he is a half Brazilian :)

Nope,he wants Pogba to get a new haircut.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement