Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

TheDoc wrote: »
    Lindelof was doing that yesterday, roaring and gesturing to Smalling to move the **** up, and take the ball with him.

He also took it upon himself to take the ball out himself and tried a suicidal pass that nearly got us in a lot of trouble.

As much as I like him, maybe he should be gesturing Smalling less and focus on his own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/991097425002721280

"Fellaini in talks with Manchester United over new deal with midfielder demanding at least a two-year contract to stay "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Smalling had this idea that playing out from the back is striding forward 15 yards and stopping then looking for a square ball or going backwards. His other tactic is to simply hit it long and hope for the best. In this day and age the old fashioned English centre half who kicks people and drives the ball as far up the field as possible will not cut it. De Gea is a better ball player than either Jones or Smalling and he's a goalkeeper.
    Take a look at the English national team, Southgate is going towards ball playing defenders instead of the traditional "lionheart" types.

I'm still incredibly uncomfortable wathcing Chris Smalling receive the ball and then pass. It's BONKERS for a proffesional footballer to look that uncomfortable and unorthodox. I'm literally waiting for the ball to hit of his shin or go through his foot.

I know it doesn't happen, but it's just so uncomfortable for him the way he has his body to receive the ball, he looks like all the concentration in the world is required for him to take a touch with his instep, then its this weird kick.

Haha it's so weird. You think this stuff could be coached.

Then you look at Valencia who still can't wrap his foot around a ball to cross it properly. Where did me and bangkok go wrong :'(

In fairness to Smalling he is a tall centre back and is pretty good on the ball, as opposed to Zinedine Stones over at the etihad who has made more errors leading to goals than I can count.

The fact is we have a lot of midfielders and a forward who look just as uncomfortable when the ball is passed to them and need three or four touches before the ball is under control. It’s like their juggling a hot potato at times and every little touch slows things down. When you’re competing against teams like City to win the league, with the slick midfielders they have, and when you’re playing defensive minded teams most weeks, you have to be very, very precise and efficient with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

"Fellaini in talks with Manchester United over new deal with midfielder demanding at least a two-year contract to stay "

I wouldn't be too pushed whether he stays or goes TBH, but a one year extension seems a petty offer. Or, is this how negotiations work? Lo-ball insulting offer and work their way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I wouldn't be too pushed whether he stays or goes TBH, but a one year extension seems a petty offer. Or, is this how negotiations work? Lo-ball insulting offer and work their way up.

It was always the rule of thumb when a player turns 30 they get short contracts from what I remember one or two exceptions were made but giggs and all use to be year to year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    It was always the rule of thumb when a player turns 30 they get short contracts from what I remember one or two exceptions were made but giggs and all use to be year to year.

Carrick and Giggs were always on rolling contracts in the last 3 to 5 years of their contracts i believe. But with foreign players you need to tie them down for a couple of years minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would have no problem giving him a two year contract. He's a good squad option to have. He will be fourth or fifth choice next season and if he's happy with that then sign him up.
    Matic
    Pogba
    New cm
    Herrera
    Fellaini
    McT
    Pereira?

It's one less signing to make and leaves more room to buy in other areas. If Fellaini leaves I'd expect 2 cm to be bought.

• Fellaini as an impact sub is very very useful. Another year or two is fine with me.

Our fist 11 needs investment in another CM and replacements for RB / LB positions however. This shouldn't replace that requirement in CM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fellaini as an impact sub is very very useful. Another year or two is fine with me.

Our fist 11 needs investment in another CM and replacements for RB / LB positions however. This shouldn't replace that requirement in CM.

Quite the opposite, keeping Fellaini means we can invest MORE into the first team CM upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Friday night football this week. Hopefully a good start to the weekend

• Advertisement

If fellaini is kept i think pereira will move. Fellaini wont be a first team starter so cant see pereira spending most of the season on the bench OR in the stand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    Friday night football this week. Hopefully a good start to the weekend

A win cements us above Liverpool and means Spurs can't drop a single point in their last three games to stop us finishing second.

Thought Brighton seems exactly the level of team we struggle with nowadays, in terms of motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Andreas is finished here unfortunately. Might just have to stump up to resign him in a few years.

If fellaini is kept i think pereira will move. Fellaini wont be a first team starter so cant see pereira spending most of the season on the bench OR in the stand

Maybe send him on loan again or would he get enough games on the right side. He has played about half the games from RW fro Valencia this season.

It would be a pity to see him leave without giving it a proper go.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think Andreas is finished here unfortunately. Might just have to stump up to resign him in a few years.

Dont think he is good enough to be a first teamer with us. Mctominay is just as good as him imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A win cements us above Liverpool and means Spurs can't drop a single point in their last three games to stop us finishing second.

Thought Brighton seems exactly the level of team we struggle with nowadays, in terms of motivation.

The players struggled to get motivated to beat Arsenal,the last ten minutes was about as intense as we saw. Hopefully we see a bit more on Friday than a ten minute cameo.

The players struggled to get motivated to beat Arsenal,the last ten minutes was about as intense as we saw. Hopefully we see a bit more on Friday than a ten minute cameo.

Its up to the manager to motivate the players.

Also having sanchez and lingard on the team clogs up everything in the middle as both drift infield. Pogba has no space to play, lukaku is surrounded by players.. its a major issue that needs resolving

I'd like to see Sanchez from the RW for a few games see how he gets on. Martial Rash Sanchez as the front 3 vs BHA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dont think he is good enough to be a first teamer with us. Mctominay is just as good as him imo

Completely different players imo. Pereira is a far more skillful player, and far more creative than McTominay.

In the 3 man midfield, I would say McTominay would come in for Matic or a defensive Herrera. Pereira would come in for Pogba or an offensive Herrera.

Saying that, I would think Pereira is done at United. His lack of desire to fight for a place this season will be a big knock against him.

Also, after a decent start for Valencia he isn't really been much of a player for them - though I do always feel loaned players can be treated oddly, where the club could prefer to use their own, even inferior, players over a loaned player.

I'd really just prefer us to feck Fellaini off in the summer. Its not that I particularly dislike him, and I think he abscence this season has cost us a bit, but I just don't like United playing a style of football that gets the most out of him. I would prefer us to concentrate on getting our passing and movement improved rather than relying on Fellaini in the final 20 as a target man.

I would like to see a first choice of:

Matic, Fred (likely) and Pogba.

Backed up McTominay, Pereria, Herrera.

• Advertisement

Completely different players imo. Pereira is a far more skillful player, and far more creative than McTominay.

In the 3 man midfield, I would say McTominay would come in for Matic or a defensive Herrera. Pereira would come in for Pogba or an offensive Herrera.

Saying that, I would think Pereira is done at United. His lack of desire to fight for a place this season will be a big knock against him.

Also, after a decent start for Valencia he isn't really been much of a player for them - though I do always feel loaned players can be treated oddly, where the club could prefer to use their own, even inferior, players over a loaned player.

I'd really just prefer us to feck Fellaini off in the summer. Its not that I particularly dislike him, and I think he abscence this season has cost us a bit, but I just don't like United playing a style of football that gets the most out of him. I would prefer us to concentrate on getting our passing and movement improved rather than relying on Fellaini in the final 20 as a target man.

I would like to see a first choice of:

Matic, Fred (likely) and Pogba.

Backed up McTominay, Pereria, Herrera.

Its probably the same as TFM at Palace. He played when needed but once the clubs expectations were met they started testing what players they would have for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Fred (likely)

Where is this coming from?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Where is this coming from?

Being linked a lot, seemingly confidence from United plus Jose's brazilian comments the other day.

Seems City are no longer interested (going for Jorjinho or whatever his name is) and United are now confident of bringing in Fred, having previously been interested in Jorjinho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Linked a lot with Leon Baily too who is having a great season.

Have to say I've been generally excited for the summer windows post Moyes, as we tend to do some pretty interesting business.

Linked a lot with Leon Baily too who is having a great season.

Have to say I've been generally excited for the summer windows post Moyes, as we tend to do some pretty interesting business.

The problem i have with this is he is pretty much another left midfielder and likes to drift Inside? I really don't see where we going to fit any more over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The problem i have with this is he is pretty much another left midfielder and likes to drift Inside? I really don't see where we going to fit any more over there.

He seems to be playing from the left a lot more now but he is capable of playing off the right. Playing as a left footer cutting in from the right. Looks a real talent either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Just had a look at the football writers player of the year awards.

Is it just me or are there no United players there?

Goes to show how biased the media is against United.

Would of expected DDG to at least be there considering there are Spurs and Pool players who are all below us.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Would of expected DDG to at least be there considering there are Spurs and Pool players who are all below us.

Bar DeGea who would get a head of other players in thier positions

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Who got the keeper?

Beyond DDG I would say no United player would deserve to be in contention.

The performances have, on average, been average - apart from Lukaku and Lingard, and I'd be having KDB/Salah/Kane over them.

Bar DeGea who would get a head of other players in thier positions

I only mentioned DDG, didn't mention anybody else should.

Salah
    KDB
    Kane
    Sergio Aguero
    David Silva
    Raheem Sterling
    Christian Eriksen
    Jan Vertonghen
    Roberto Firmino
    Nick Pope

That's in no order either.

• Advertisement

• Who got the keeper?

Beyond DDG I would say no United player would deserve to be in contention.

The performances have, on average, been average - apart from Lukaku and Lingard, and I'd be having KDB/Salah/Kane over them.
    I don't buy that. What's the scope? Just PL?
    Utd are ready to finish 2nd in the league, have Utd been average all season to achieve this? Afraid to think where we would be if we were good.

Utd have a very respectable record this season against the top sides.
    How did all those top players perform against Utd when Utd beat them?

Lets take the full results:
    Liverpool 0 - Utd 0
    Man Utd 1 - Tottenham 0
    Chelsea 1 - Man Utd 0
    Man Utd 1 - Tottenham 0 - League Cup
    Arsenal 1 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 1 - Man City 2
    Tottenham 2 - Man Utd 0
    Man Utd 2 - Chelsea 1
    Man Utd 2 - Liverpool 1
    Man City 2 - Man Utd 3
    Tottenham 1 - Man Utd 2 - FA cup
    Man Utd 2 - Arsenal 1

Utd are ready to finish 2nd in the league, have Utd been average all season to achieve this? Afraid to think where we would be if we were good.

Liverpool 0 - Utd 0
    Man Utd 1 - Tottenham 0
    Chelsea 1 - Man Utd 0
    Arsenal 1 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 1 - Man City 2
    Tottenham 2 - Man Utd 0
    Man Utd 2 - Chelsea 1
    Man Utd 2 - Liverpool 1
    Man City 2 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 2 - Arsenal 1

It's a simple fact that United won't get any credit apart from the keeper and that's twisted to say it's a bad thing that we have a good keeper.

Something has to give.... if the team are that bad then the manager is a genius or if the manager is that bad then the players are superstars I just can't decide which it is.

Liverpool 0 - Utd 0
    Man Utd 1 - Tottenham 0
    Chelsea 1 - Man Utd 0
    Arsenal 1 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 1 - Man City 2
    Tottenham 2 - Man Utd 0
    Man Utd 2 - Chelsea 1
    Man Utd 2 - Liverpool 1
    Man City 2 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 2 - Arsenal 1

Which of our players have been consistently great this season?

DDG.

Seriously - who do you think has performed at or above the level required to win leagues this season?

I'm not talking about results, I am talking about performances, and the performances have not been great this season. Pogba has been ok/poor lots, with flashes of his best.Lukaku went through a big dry spell but I do argue he has done very well and is a success story of this season. Lingard has been generally very good and been a key player.

Matic started brilliantly and has faded quite a bit imo.

herrera has been really good, in the last two weeks. Rubbish up to then.

Martial and Rashford - utterly inconsistent (whether their fault or not).

Sanchez, poor for Arsenal and poor for us.

Mata has had a few great games and a load of average ones.

Are you arguing Valencia has been really good this season? Smalling? Jones? Rojo? Bailly?

As for how others performed against United... their seasons are not defined by two specific matches in the season, they are defined by the season and while we kept Salah very quiet twice, he has scored 40 goals this season and been electric. You can't say that for any United player.

And yeah - I think if we had seen Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez play at their best consistently for us that we'd be still talking about a possible title.

It's a simple fact that United won't get any credit apart from the keeper and that's twisted to say it's a bad thing that we have a good keeper.

Something has to give.... if the team are that bad then the manager is a genius or if the manager is that bad then the players are superstars I just can't decide which it is.

Or given the quality, on paper, of the players and the money spent we should be approaching City levels of performance. And we have consistently not done so. And that is a failing of both players and manager.

• Man City have won the league
    Therefore they performed at the maximum level required to win it and are the best team in the league

Utd are on course to finish 2nd, therefore the 2nd best team in the league

You can't move goalposts for criteria just because Utd are involved

It's utterly stupid that there is nobody shortlisted by the football writers

• their seasons are not defined by two specific matches in the season, they are defined by the season
    Exactly

Go look up the league positions

Nobody says we are bad, but we are awful to watch.

Coverage in about 20 mins of our own POTY awards.

We should see one or both of Hayley and Rachel as presenters.

I'd nearly expect Young to get the players player of the year.

• bangkok wrote: »
    Nobody says we are bad, but we are awful to watch.

Beating man city 3-2 at the etihad after going 2-0 down sure was boring as ****
    not one ounce of excitement to be had

This is where "Sevilla" will be mentioned as a counter.

Wait for it.

• Advertisement

Over the course of the season we have been awful to watch... how many other games was there excitement in? Id say you could count it on one hand

• bangkok wrote: »
    Over the course of the season we have been awful to watch... how many other games was there excitement in? Id say you could count it on one hand

Count the bad ones so, off with ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I wouldn't be using that game as a match where we played well. Should have been 4-0 down at ht. No coming back from that. The Arsenal game at the Emirates was a great game though. The first 8 or 9 games were very good to be fair. Quick expensive football and we look so much better when we move the ball forward not sideways quickly. Don't know what happened after those first few games this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't think we have been awful to watch. Massively inconsistent all in the span of one game but periods of excellent play as well. To be second all season given those circumstances potentially bodes well for the future with further improvements to the first XI this summer.

Wait for it.

If you (not specifically you) are going to use the city game (in which we were absolute fking rubbish in the first half) then why is we not counter with the two Seville games?

Or Huddersfield. Or Southampton. Or Liverpool away. Or arsenal away or home (despite wins) or spurs in the league. Or Newcastle. Or west brom. Or Bournemouth.

Also, the idea that United can't be poor or average in games we won is insane. Results driven thinking. Not a discussion on performance when only the results are considered as a measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Wait for it.

Why shouldn't it be used as a counter? We played absolutely dreadful football over 2 games and lost a tie we were well able to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Despite Utd most likely finishing second there hasn’t been one stand out player over the season apart from De Gea I suppose.

You could make a case for Lukaku but he’s in a very strong category position wise and there are a few who have had better seasons.

None of the back line. None of the midfield. None of the attacking players.

Count the bad ones so, off with ya

Recently alone, arsenal at the weekend, west brom at home, swansea at home, sevilla at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Also, the idea that United can't be poor or average in games we won is insane. Results driven thinking. Not a discussion on performance when only the results are considered as a measure.

You're doing the exact same thing in games we didn't get a result.

Not getting a result doesn't mean playing badly.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    You're doing the exact same thing in games we didn't get a result.

Not getting a result doesn't mean playing badly.

Be interested to hear what games you thought we played well in and lost??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement