Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bangkok wrote: »
    Be interested to hear what games you thought we played well in and lost??

We were by far the better team against Newcastle when they beat us, Leicester when we drew, Stoke when we drew and also West Brom. West Brom was a frustrating game but we created enough and played well enough to win that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

adox wrote: »
    Despite Utd most likely finishing second there hasn’t been one stand out player over the season apart from De Gea I suppose.

You could make a case for Lukaku but he’s in a very strong category position wise and there are a few who have had better seasons.

None of the back line. None of the midfield. None of the attacking players.

Injuries squad rotation and early season formation changes haven't help with player consistency all in we are almost over the line in second place and in the FA cup final baring some really weird ruling from UEFA we have automatic qualification for the champions league for a second season running potentially have silverware and have a more detailed idea on what players need to stay and go in order to challenge for the league next season, De Gea is our best player hands down outfield players have had sparks of glory such as Young showing great maturity but no one has been constantly great other than De Gea we have lost 6 games out of 35 to date and picked up more wins which is a good turn around as in the past few seasons we have drawn way too many games, hopefully a few in a few out and we can set up a more steady dependable team next time round where everything is firing more clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

adox wrote: »
    You could make a case for Lukaku but he’s in a very strong category position wise and there are a few who have had better seasons.

Considering some were saying he shouldn't be at united.

Another one the I told ye so's got wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Zlatan thinks de gea should win utd player of the year...lingard also said de gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

De Gea should. He is our one consistent world class performer and absurdly, our most exciting player to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I am not buying the football writers agenda against United argument but I do find it interesting that Firminho's season is been heralded as a massive success whereas Lukaku has 1 more goal and the same amount of assists in ~60 minutes more of football.

I would be happy to see him pip DDG to our POTY. I think DDG is our most talented player at the moment but I don't think he's had such an outstanding season (apart from that one game against Arsenal) that him getting the prize should be a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

His lady looks like a mish mash of Selena Gomez and Sofia Vergara

astradave wrote: »

The context makes it stand out from the rest - As well as being a peach, it gave us a last minute win from a shocking 2-0 losing position.

Without that context though, I think it's a close call between it and Valencia's against Everton...

• Advertisement

Madrid are fùcking poxed in this years Champions League. The luck and the decisions they get makes me sick.

Wonder could we sign alaba he ain't German so might actually leave bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

J. Marston wrote: »
    Madrid are fùcking poxed in this years Champions League. The luck and the decisions they get makes me sick.

I hope they get all the decisions in the final....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

limnam wrote: »
    You're doing the exact same thing in games we didn't get a result.

Not getting a result doesn't mean playing badly.

which games did we play well in and not get a result, which I have pointed out?

I do think there have been a few games where we have played well and only came away with a point, but I don't think games in which you can say United were 'superb/great/brilliant', regardless of the result, have been the norm.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I am not buying the football writers agenda against United argument but I do find it interesting that Firminho's season is been heralded as a massive success whereas Lukaku has 1 more goal and the same amount of assists in ~60 minutes more of football.

I would be happy to see him pip DDG to our POTY. I think DDG is our most talented player at the moment but I don't think he's had such an outstanding season (apart from that one game against Arsenal) that him getting the prize should be a given.

Lukakus season has been a success but firmino edges it because of his work rate, his tackling, his skill and he is not an out and out striker like lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

which games did we play well in and not get a result, which I have pointed out?

I do think there have been a few games where we have played well and only came away with a point, but I don't think games in which you can say United were 'superb/great/brilliant', regardless of the result, have been the norm.

Result was badly worded.

I was also referring to games we drew and lost and did more than enough to win.

Many have been listed above my moses.

The main point was you can't give out about using results based thinking and then use results to point it out.

limnam wrote: »
    Result was badly worded.

I was also referring to games we drew and lost and did more than enough to win.

Many have been listed above my moses.

The main point was you can't give out about using results based thinking and then use results to point it out.
    i thought we were no where near good enough in the games I listed.

Some game madrid bayern although i do fear what liverpools front 3 would do to either team

Some game madrid bayern although i do fear what liverpools front 3 would do to either team

Reals attacking and midfield players would cause Pool serious problems

yabadabado wrote: »
    Reals attacking and midfield players would cause Pool serious problems

I would said the same of citys and look what happened there. Madrids defence is poor

• Advertisement

Neither bayern or Madrid will play into Liverpool's hands like city do,

I would said the same of citys and look what happened there. Madrids defence is poor

Neither defence is great but I'd take the Real back 4 any day over Pool's.

Yep, if it's a battle of poor defences that will decide it then Liverpool will win the CL.

Madrid are porous. Lovren is Liverpool's giant liability but Madrid's whole backline looks like it can be taken apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

De Gea wins players player.

Mourihno also gave out an award for his player which went to McTominay

Mourihno also just admitted that Matic told him in March 2017 that he wanted to play for him at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Congrats Matic

31755439_10155713818902746_2921218677774745600_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=267a7bc6faf66e5393db647094fe4401&oe=5B954470

Yes well done indeed Matic :D

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    De Gea wins players player.

Mourihno also gave out an award for his player which went to McTominay

Mourihno also just admitted that Matic told him in March 2017 that he wanted to play for him at United

That mctominay award is just strange. Havent even seen him in the team in months

That mctominay award is just strange. Havent even seen him in the team in months

Yeah, Mourihno even joked about how bad the trophy looked. It looked like something a few fake flowers would be stuck in at a dinner table.

You must not be watching so, in the league he played every game in Feb and March, played part of the city game and was on the bench for 2 or the last 3 games..

It’s a managers award, it was probably given not on what we see in matches anyways but by what the manager sees everyday in training etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You must not be watching so, in the league he played every game in Feb and March, played part of the city game and was on the bench for 2 or the last 3 games..

It’s a managers award, it was probably given not on what we see in matches anyways but by what the manager sees everyday in training etc
    Generally a managers is equivalent to the Most Improved player award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The McT award was obviously a dig at Pogba.

He played total of 4 full premier league games this season.

He played total of 4 full premier league games this season.

That’s a different point completely to “haven’t seen him in the team in months”

If your gonna start moving the goalposts again, we’re done here, goodluck

That’s a different point completely to “haven’t seen him in the team in months”

If your gonna start moving the goalposts again, we’re done here, goodluck

Ok he fully deserved the managers player of the year. Just strange he hasnt played him more if he rated him

Lewandowski very poor tonight. Wonder who will be in for him in the summer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"The meaning is important," said Jose on stage. "I think the dream of every boy that arrives at the club is to play for the first team. When the dream becomes true, the next dream is to play in big matches and to play in the Champions League and eventually to play for the national team. This player gives everything, in five or six months, so my Player of the Year has to be Scott

Joining MUTV in the studio, Jose expanded on his decision to recognise McTominay with an award. "When I heard there were two awards for young players, I thought 'it is not acceptable - this kid cannot go home without an award’. I always say there are not young players or old players - it’s just about quality. This kid has everything I want, so I think it is good for the younger boys in the Academy to look at him as an example."

• Advertisement

U21 Award - Mitchell
    U18 Award - Chong
    Goal Award - Matic
    Fans Award - DDG
    Players Award - DDG
    Mourihno Player Award - McTominy
    Mourihno Special Ward - Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The stick McTominay will get off the other players now haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'll never be able watch a United rewards night ever without going back to YouTube to look at LVGS speech.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'll never be able watch a United rewards night ever without going back to YouTube to look at LVGS speech.

Or smacking Giggs around the back of his head when he outbid him.

LvGs speech was quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Or smacking Giggs around the back of his head when he outbid him.

LvGs speech was quality

Weren't many fun times of them two years but that night was one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Back pages saying that Chelsea could try for Martial and Bailly worries for his future after being frozen out by Jose.
    Papers have little to print about United so any old guff will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not sure if posted already...
    DcELxqPWkAEo-uT.jpg

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not sure if posted already...
    DcELxqPWkAEo-uT.jpg

It's funny to think his record vs top 6, mostly losses, was the biggest stat in football around the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

City top with 24 points , We finished 2nd in top 6 league on 19 pts , nearest third can get is 13 points I think, which currents spurs are on. Pool v Chelsea being last fixture.

Back pages saying that Chelsea could try for Martial and Bailly worries for his future after being frozen out by Jose.
    Papers have little to print about United so any old guff will do.

I could well see both of them being true...

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    The McT award was obviously a dig at Pogba.

How? Why? :pac:

• I think it's a smart move from Jose

Gaining this type of loyalty could work wonders next season

I've spoken of Mctominey alot this season and his potential

https://twitter.com/mctominay10/status/991449862137892865?s=19

The McTominay award feels like Jose giving himself an award.

Personally don't see much in McTominay to get excited about. a solidly average player who could become a good squad player and usefull to have in the first team squad, but would be surprised to see him blossom into the quality of player we would be delighted to see as a first choice player in midfield.

Apparently Bailly was not at the ceremony last night.

Could be a perfectly reasonable excuse for it - but given his absence from the squad in recent weeks since his return from injury, it feels like Jose has taken a dislike to him and binned him out of the squad Valdes style.

Hopefully there actually isn't anything to it cause he is our best centre back, but it isn't looking good from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Apparently Bailly was not at the ceremony last night.

Could be a perfectly reasonable excuse for it - but given his absence from the squad in recent weeks since his return from injury, it feels like Jose has taken a dislike to him and binned him out of the squad Valdes style.

Hopefully there actually isn't anything to it cause he is our best centre back, but it isn't looking good from the outside.

Did he not get injured again following his brief comeback a couple of weeks ago?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement