Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Awkward when you get it mixed, Liverpool have 5 CL wins, to United's 3..
    No, but the CL in its modern format did, which is what the OP was talking about.

I think we all know that Andrew meant. His point doesn't even put down Liverpool, it's more a reflection on United's relatively poor European efforts while cleaning up on a domestic front during that period.

Yet here come a group of you in no time at all, not to reasonably debate a fair point, but to twist it into something to be jeered at.

If this is what the next few weeks are going to be like, mods can we nip such shíte in the bud please?

Okay I re-read Andrew's post then read Stu's post, clearing up my own confusion in the process, sorry for jumping the gun on you Andrew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, read Andrew's post earlier and thought it was clear enough. I guess the pints tonight have 'impaired' one or two lads... no harm done really :)

But yeah, essentially I would agree that Utd really should have one or two more CL's in the Ferguson era to match their PL dominance. It's a compliment to Liverpool I guess with 3 finals in that time, and hopefully 2 titles.

Arsenal, too, should have at least one under their belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My Liverpool supporting mates have set up a WhatsApp group dedicated to the final. Give me strength.
    It's almost unbearable as it is but if they win the damn thing I may go live with a remote tribe in a rainforest somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jaysus they really are obsessed. Poor devil's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The Liverpool lads after misreading posts.

7a8da1f2-b11c-4bf8-b736-cf068ae6eb08.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

My Liverpool supporting mates have set up a WhatsApp group dedicated to the final. Give me strength.
    It's almost unbearable as it is but if they win the damn thing I may go live with a remote tribe in a rainforest somewhere.

Wont be all that much difference to where he are now to be fair ;):):) sorry pal

• Bret Hart wrote: »
    We all do very much despise Liverpool as Utd fans on here,and vice versa. But you've got too hand it too Klopp. The mans a genius. He brought in a player in Salah,who he took a risk on,and has him playing on Messi and CR7 levels of unbelievable brilliance.

He's brought a team of Wijnaldum,Milner,Henderson and Lovren to a CL Final and has done so while,also losing one of his best players in mid season.He's deserving of all the praise him and his team will get. He's brought them back too the top table of European football.

He needs to actually win the final first, we all know Liverpool like to shoot the load early and Klopps trend of awful results in finals needs to be broken
    Hopefully Real / Ronaldo puts an end to this nightmare

If they do win it I will put my hands up and say well done

• On to Utd news: See the Daily Fail stirring it up about Baily now, they could at least wait until the season is over to puke out the bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The game has changed a lot, 30 years ago they would have been kicked into early retirement. I would still pay more money to watch peak Maradona than anyone else.

Maradona would have been suspended for most of his career if he played now, he was addicted to cocaine

• bangkok wrote: »
    Maradona would have been suspended for most of his career if he played now, he was addicted to cocaine

I suspect he still is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »
    Wont be all that much difference to where he are now to be fair ;):):) sorry pal

You must have been to Popovici's recently. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Bret Hart wrote: »
    We all do very much despise Liverpool as Utd fans on here,and vice versa. But you've got too hand it too Klopp. The mans a genius. He brought in a player in Salah,who he took a risk on,and has him playing on Messi and CR7 levels of unbelievable brilliance.

He's brought a team of Wijnaldum,Milner,Henderson and Lovren to a CL Final and has done so while,also losing one of his best players in mid season.He's   deserving of all the praise him and his team will get. He's brought them back too the top table of European football.

He needs to actually win the final first, we all know Liverpool like to shoot the load early and Klopps trend of awful results in finals needs to be broken

To be fair to Klopp every final he's been in team have been the under dogs, except maybe the Sevilla one but they had won the Eufa the previous 2 years so where no mugs ,
     All you have to do is look at the Liverpool squad to see what a fantastic job he has done,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Getting to the final alone has been a huge achievement and if you had of said they would have gotten to a final 6 months ago you would have been laughed at.

Klopp is an excellent manager, anyone who says otherwise is wrong. What he did with dortmund is exceptional and what he is doing with liverpool as a united fan is very worrying. Naby Keita will be a serious addition to there team for next season, exactly the type of player we need.

Just hope Madrid beat them in the final now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Haven't seen a second of both Roma games, I haven't read an article or listened to any coverage on a podcast or radio that's they way its going to stay. I went to see the Avengers last night and I'll be in the cinema for the final as well.

I highly recommend this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

bangkok wrote: »
    Klopp is an excellent manager, anyone who says otherwise is wrong. What he did with dortmund is exceptional and what he is doing with liverpool as a united fan is very worrying.
    I think he's the best manager in the world currently. I know that's probably unpopular in here but yeah.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I find it's impressive that people can type so well while also fellating Klopp. I admire people who can multitask like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Naby Keita will be a serious addition to there team for next season
    They will just have to maximise his game time - 4 reds this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think he's the best manager in the world currently. I know that's probably unpopular in here but yeah.

Oh yeah, definitely the best. :rolleyes:
    Managerial honours
    Mainz 05

2. Bundesliga promotion: 2003-04
    Borussia Dortmund

Bundesliga: 2010–11,[20] 2011–12
    DFB-Pokal: 2011–12
    DFL-Supercup: 2013,[94] 2014

Individual
    German Football Manager of the Year: 2011, 2012
    Premier League Manager of the Month: September 2016

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Oh yeah, definitely the best. :rolleyes:

He said currently

jacool wrote: »
    Naby Keita will be a serious addition to there team for next season
    They will just have to maximise his game time - 4 reds this season.
    And no reds up until this season, Id be inclined that more to do with the fact he knows he's leaving and Leipzig have under preformed  compared to last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And no reds up until this season, Id be inclined that more to do with the fact he knows he's leaving and Leipzig have under preformed  compared to last

So you are saying he is getting himself red carded on purpose? Are you sure you want someone with that mentality in your squad, what happens if Real or Barca start tapping him up?

astradave wrote: »

So you are saying he is getting himself red carded on purpose? Are you sure you want someone with that mentality in your squad, what happens if Real or Barca start tapping him up?
    Not on purpose but he doesn't but he has looked fed up to be honest, he wanted to come in January and was made wait,
    Same thing was said about VVD when he kicked up a fuss at the saints and he's doing ok :)

Not on purpose but he doesn't but he has looked fed up to be honest, he wanted to come in January and was made wait,
    Same thing was said about VVD when he kicked up a fuss at the saints and he's doing ok :)

He’s still contracted to RB, surely he should be giving his all to that team? It still comes across as you trying to pass off the Red cards because he doesn’t want to be there. That’s pretty poor mentality.. (I don’t believe that line of thinking anyways as I’m sure 3 of the reds were for 2 yellows.)

(Edit: got mixed up here so disregard the bit about VVD)

This is a fella that is usually absolutely essential to RB. He has 9 goals and 7 assists this year, which is a great return. Surely if he wasn’t bothered or was fed up, he wouldn’t have those numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Anyone know of a Real site where we can drop this in?

https://youtu.be/aB2yqeD0Nus

astradave wrote: »

He’s still contracted to RB, surely he should be giving his all to that team? It still comes across as you trying to pass off the Red cards because he doesn’t want to be there. That’s pretty poor mentality.. (I don’t believe that line of thinking anyways as I’m sure 3 of the reds were for 2 yellows.)

Comparisons to VVD are few and far between as VVD barely featured for Southampton prior to his move in January.

This is a fella that is usually absolutely essential to RB. He has 9 goals and 7 assists this year, which is a great return. Surely if he wasn’t bothered or was fed up, he wouldn’t have those numbers?
    Maybe he is just that good,
    Strange though has never seen red and then when he already signed for another club the red cards come along could be total coincidence
    I remember last summer he got in a fight in training and was suspended for a week , Wasn't he also found guilty of driving without a driving licence for 3 years ,Maybe he's just a bit mad
    Again I couldn't care less what he does for Leipzig as long as he give his all for Liverpool and matures as he only 22 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Last month of footballing action.

We're running away with 2nd at the moment and you imagine it will continue with our fixtures and Pools final as a distraction. Potentially could finish on 86 points which would be great.

Really hope we can win the FA cup. Finishing comfortably 2nd and winning the FA Cup against Chelsea (previous PL winners) would be a good high to end the season on.

And that would all be accomplished even though we haven't gotten the most out of our players yet. Looking forward to the season ending but not too much to the months of tabloid nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With Lukaku out until the final (probably) it will be interesting to see if JM starts Martial or Rashford through the centre - I'd go for Martial.

A serious question 
    If United come 2nd and win the Fa cup and Liverpool come 4th and lose the final its clearly a better season for United as you get another trophy and that what its all about at the end of the day,
    I can't dispute that as a Liverpool fan
    But would you trade the an FA Cup final win for a shot at a Champions league final ?

With Lukaku out until the final (probably) it will be interesting to see if JM starts Martial or Rashford through the centre - I'd go for Martial.
    I think he should try Alexis , his best season with Arsenal was through the middle,

• Advertisement

Didn't rashford come on for him the last day though

A serious question 
    If United come 2nd and win the Fa cup and Liverpool come 4th and lose the final its clearly a better season for United as you get another trophy and that what its all about at the end of the day,
    But would you trade the an FA Cup final win for a shot at a Champions league final ?

Do you really need an answer to that ?

threein99 wrote: »
    A serious question 

Do you really need an answer to that
    Honestly some people I know would be happier with a trophy in the bag rather than being under dogs in a final and possibly end up with nothing ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A serious question 

As I see it.

City have had the best season of English teams.

If Liverpool win the cl they will have the 2nd best season,if not but united don't win the fa cup they will still have had the second best season.

United win the fa cup and Liverpool don't win cl then United have the 2nd best season and Liverpool the 3rd best.

Spurs (assuming top 4) the 4th best.

...however if Arsenal were to win the Europa League then we might have to switch those positions around. Would be better than Spurs for sure & maybe United/Liverpool if the former won and the latter lost.

In short, I would trade an FA Cup win for a CL win, but not for a final.

Now if the question is an fa cup finalv's a cl final with the results both in question then it's obviously cl. I think a trophy trumps a losing final final though...unless that trophy is the league cup :D

A serious question 

These questions make no sense, neither competition has any real effect on the other but if I'd to make a choice I'd choose the fa cup and the champions league final

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Haha when did we get invaded?

All the focus in the final taking the eye of the league. Be some laugh if Chelsea caught up with their game in hand.

Eagerly looking forward to Ronaldo's 92nd minute rocket winner

giphy.gif

Didn't rashford come on for him the last day though

He did, which I was honestly surprised about.

I also think Rashford off the left with Martial inside has real potential.

He did, which I was honestly surprised about.

I also think Rashford off the left with Martial inside has real potential.

It would be nice to see something like that alright especially given the league games we have left aren't overly important, if Martial doesn't start any games for the rest of the season I'd be worried he will be gone in the summer

Iago wrote: »
    As I see it.

City have had the best season of English teams.

If Liverpool win the cl they will have the 2nd best season,if not but united don't win the fa cup they will still have had the second best season.

United win the fa cup and Liverpool don't win cl then United have the 2nd best season and Liverpool the 3rd best.

Spurs (assuming top 4) the 4th best.

...however if Arsenal were to win the Europa League then we might have to switch those positions around. Would be better than Spurs for sure & maybe United/Liverpool if the former won and the latter lost.

In short, I would trade an FA Cup win for a CL win, but not for a final.

Now if the question is an fa cup finalv's a cl final with the results both in question then it's obviously cl. I think a trophy trumps a losing final final though...unless that trophy is the league cup :D

Do we need to have a coefficient for net spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

A serious question
    If United come 2nd and win the Fa cup and Liverpool come 4th and lose the final its clearly a better season for United as you get another trophy and that what its all about at the end of the day,
    But would you trade the an FA Cup final win for a shot at a Champions league final ?

No disrespect to the FA Cup as it's a big competition but I think most fans would trade it for a chance of winning the Champions League. The Champions League final is the biggest final in European Club football, every fan wants their team to be a part of it.

I hate comparing teams seasons to ours, especially Pool :P but I think in some ways we've had a better season and in others they have. Obviously results in the League and FA Cup we've come out on top but I think our fanbase had higher expectations. Liverpool have done brilliantly in Europe, way better than us, something we're all jealous of so they win that battle.

What it comes down to for me is the expectations of fans before the season begun. I'd say you would struggle to find any Pool fans not happy with this season and referring to it as a success, whereas a lot of United fans have expressed the disappointment of how our season went in comparison to how easily City ran away with it and our European exit.

Personally think both teams have had reason to be hopeful and excited for next season, maybe more for Pool with the final but either way signs would suggest that both United and Pool should be fighting for the PL title next season. You would expect both clubs to make improvements, they both have appeal and should surely close the gap on City. Arsenal will be in an uncertain situation, Spurs seem to go from hot and cold too often and who knows how Chelsea will bounce back.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

All the focus in the final taking the eye of the league. Be some laugh if Chelsea caught up with their game in hand.

giphy.gif

With goal different they essentially 7 points ahead of Chelsea.

Pfffft you just know it’s going to be Fellaini, no debate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamocovic wrote: »

Great post mate pretty accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does it matter? Both Liverpool and United have good seasons.

United 2nd and a FA Cup final and Liverpool with a CL Final and Top 4 in their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Lads. Would yous be happy to trade a semi final in the Rumbelows Cup for a shot at the second half of the Intertoto final but you’re 3-0 down to Honved, a man down and the manager sent to the stands. Plus Honved have prime Maradona and yous have John O Shea in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool will be wearing red in the #UCL final and Real Madrid in white.

Gonna be tough for Real to spot Ronaldo and pass him the ball seeing as he will be wearing a red jersey during the match, with a Man Utd crest on it :pac:

TheDoc wrote: »

giphy.gif
    As a Liverpool fan I think this could happen, last year we needed to win our last game and Lovren should have got a red after 10 minutes but stayed on and we went on to win , If you keep leaving it to the last game your luck will run out,

Lads. Would yous be happy to trade a semi final in the Rumbelows Cup for a shot at the second half of the Intertoto final but you’re 3-0 down to Honved, a man down and the manager sent to the stands. Plus Honved have prime Maradona and yous have John O Shea in goal?

O'Shea has a 100% clean sheet record, we'd be grand.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool will be wearing red in the #UCL final and Real Madrid in white.

Gonna be tough for Real to spot Ronaldo and pass him the ball seeing as he will be wearing a red jersey during the match, with a Man Utd crest on it :pac:

0.25/10

threein99 wrote: »
    With goal different they essentially 7 points ahead of Chelsea.

Yep, even if Chelsea win all their remaining games then Liverpool would still need to drop points at home to Brighton for Chelsea to pip them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement