Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yep, even if Chelsea win all their remaining games then Liverpool would still need to drop points at home to Brighton for Chelsea to pip them.

I don't think they will be caught, best we can hope for is they can't rest all the players they want in the remaining games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yep, even if Chelsea win all their remaining games then Liverpool would still need to drop points at home to Brighton for Chelsea to pip them.

And you wouldn't be surprised to see it happen either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

paulbok wrote: »
    I don't think they will be caught, best we can hope for is they can't rest all the players they want in the remaining games

Even if they did, brighton themselves will probably be on the beach themselves on the last day - Liverpool will roll them over.

Even if they did, brighton themselves will probably be on the beach themselves on the last day - Liverpool will roll them over.

Beaches mean beach balls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

best we can hope for is they can't rest all the players they want in the remaining games

Do you support United? Why does it matter to you if Liverpool can't rest their players? Were not catching you for second so there's no fear there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you support United? Why does it matter to you if Liverpool can't rest their players? Were not catching you for second so there's no fear there.

Ah heyor, you know well why United fans don't want Pool to win. You'd be the same if shoe was on the other foot. No shame in it. Ironically, I quite like the style of football and a lot of my mates that are fans are normals, but if you have interest in being on the internet at all as a United fan, you want Pool to lose this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Plus ye have a 2 week gap between Brighton and Real so it’s not like it’s going to have an effect on the final unless some get injured, I think its more if ye rest players to prevent injury you might drop points and Chelsea pip ye for 4th.. which would be funny if ye then lose the final.. from a non Liverpool fan perspective obviously

Funnily enough posting in the Man United forum, I do support them.

Is it too difficult for you to grasp I'd prefer Liverpool not get to rest players ahead of the CL final ye all came here to talk about?
    And yes I'm aware there is still 2 weeks anyway after the last game to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Sevilla game still grates, especially as United have beaten 4 or 5 far superior teams since then with the only one that was somewhat lucky being City. It was the most winnable CL there's been in a while with the likes of Atletico and Dortmund in the Europa but they fúcked it up.

What's weird is that the first leg should have been a wake up call but they still seemed to underestimate the threat Sevilla posed, for a team that has been very good when reactive it's still hard to wrap my head around.

• Advertisement

Ah heyor, you know well why United fans don't want Pool to win. You'd be the same if shoe was on the other foot. No shame in it. Ironically, I quite like the style of football and a lot of my mates that are fans are normals, but if you have interest in being on the internet at all as a United fan, you want Pool to lose this.

I'd like to see United win the FA cup. If you were in CL final I wouldn't begrudge you it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

From Red café ,

Below From Redcafe ,
    United Fans would rather both teams lose than both teams win ,I think that's a bit silly you should really only worry about your own club but each to there own
    Liverpool win the CL and United win the FA Cup 82 vote(s) 23.8%
    Both win nothing 263 vote(s) 76.2%

Funnily enough posting in the Man United forum, I do support them.

Is it too difficult for you to grasp I'd prefer Liverpool not get to rest players ahead of the CL final ye all came here to talk about?
    And yes I'm aware there is still 2 weeks anyway after the last game to the final.

I've actually posted in here more in the last two years than in the Liverpool thread. You can usually get good discussion in here about most things from a lot of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

From Red café ,

Below From Redcafe ,
    United Fans would rather both teams lose than both teams win ,I think that's a bit silly you should really only worry about your own club but each to there own
    Liverpool win the CL and United win the FA Cup 82 vote(s) 23.8%
    Both win nothing 263 vote(s) 76.2%

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'd like to see United win the FA cup. If you were in CL final I wouldn't begrudge you it either.

What I take for this is that you hate Chelsea more than United, I doubt many united fans dislike Real more than Liverpool tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't begrudge the club or the fans I personally know been in the champions league final maybe if they win it yes I might feel a bit off about it because i feel United through away any chance they had of progressing in it this year to the worst team left in the last 16.

But as far as following a thread in here and been a regular poster and what not I'd love it if they got bet would be pretty funny nothing personal against you as you are a sound skin but the ones that celebrate by bringing up 10 year old posts and threads who couldn't enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I’m calling bullsh*t on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pfft

Were Utd in a CL final I'd be waving a mini pennant with club crest of their opponents. I was fist pumping when Sevilla did them in Old Trafford. I don't get why people pretend otherwise on these topics tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Pfft

Were Utd in a CL final I'd be waving a mini pennant with club crest of their opponents. I was fist pumping when Sevilla did them in Old Trafford. I don't get why people pretend otherwise on these topics tbh.

What I find even odder is when people, in Ireland, use an argument of why woudn't you want all the English teams to do well.

I'm Irish. I support Manchester United, any other English club doing well doesn't represent me or my country any better.

i hope Liverpool get BATTERED in the final.

The only saving grace would be that a 6finger salute won't be as common as the five finger one... or just look stupid.

astradave wrote: »
    What I take for this is that you hate Chelsea more than United, I doubt many united fans dislike Real more than Liverpool tbf

I don't dislike any team really. I just like Liverpool doing well.

I’m calling bullsh*t on that.

Why? Most of my best mates are United fans and it's always good craic watching matches with them or talking about how **** United/Liverpool were against West Brom/Newcastle etc.

Fans deserve to have cups and trophies to celebrate. Plus when United wins it usually turns into a right session :pac:

• Advertisement

Why? Most of my best mates are United fans and it's always good craic watching matches with them or talking about how **** United/Liverpool were against West Brom/Newcastle etc.

Fans deserve to have cups and trophies to celebrate. Plus when United wins it usually turns into a right session :pac:

Most of mine are Liverpool fans and I f*cking love when they lose :pac:

I take the piss alright when United lose but that's more to wind them them up than enjoying see United lose.

• bangkok wrote: »
    Getting to the final alone has been a huge achievement and if you had of said they would have gotten to a final 6 months ago you would have been laughed at.

Klopp is an excellent manager, anyone who says otherwise is wrong. What he did with dortmund is exceptional and what he is doing with liverpool as a united fan is very worrying. Naby Keita will be a serious addition to there team for next season, exactly the type of player we need.

Just hope Madrid beat them in the final now

I don't care. It's about crossing the line.

• threein99 wrote: »
    He said currently

He's won **** all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool will be wearing red in the #UCL final and Real Madrid in white.

Gonna be tough for Real to spot Ronaldo and pass him the ball seeing as he will be wearing a red jersey during the match, with a Man Utd crest on it :pac:

Pathetic effort.
    0/10

Mildly interesting stuff from Jose presser

Very unusual explanation about Bailly omission and then pulled up on his quotes from when he took over claiming if a GK is winning POTY awards the team is broken :rolleyes:

Have this ready for the match to drop everytime it happens

giphy.gif

We usually all go out as a gang and watch the CL final regardless of whose playing, could well be six of us doing that in whatever pub we are in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have this ready for the match to drop everytime it happens

giphy.gif

We usually all go out as a gang and watch the CL final regardless of whose playing, could well be six of us doing that in whatever pub we are in :D

Jayus lads, get over Ronnie he left you long ago.
    I really don't get the Ronnie adulation, he left you and was mad to go (Man U was only a stepping stone for him), used you last year as bait for getting a new contract with Madrid.
    He got the ballon dor well after he left you.

Liverpool might just have a ballon dor winner next year if (and yes it's a big) if Liverpool win the CL and Salah somehow manages to help Egypt to a quarter final in the world cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyway, United stuff.

(Kristof Terruer) Romelu Lukaku (ankle) is currently recovering in Antwerp, Belgium. Physios Lieven Maesschalck & Bert Driesen (@movetocure) will try to get him fit in time for the Cup Final - which is a realistic goal. #mufc

[Kristof Terreur] One of Marouane Fellaini’s representants is expected in Manchester for new contract talks with Man United. Mourinho wants him to stay, player wants to stay, but all will depend on their last offer.

(OndaCero) Courtois has informed Chelsea FC that he is ready to continue at the club beyond the Summer transfer window, and then he will leave for Real Madrid on a free transfer.
    (Posting cause it's partily United news by proxy)

Press Conference Quotes

Jose on Fellaini :

"I’m still positive, he’s a player I like, he has a different position in relation to other players with contract. Destiny is in his hands & he will decide what makes him happier... I feel that he likes to be here, likes the feeling of the manager trusting him & I think there is a good chance for him to stay"

Jose on Bailly situation :

"There’s no situation, is fine, no injury, is one of our five central defenders and honestly my work is not about World Cups and preparing players for the World Cup or giving chances to players at the World Cup but he’s the only central defender whose country is not in the World Cup so if I have to make a kind of more emotional effective choice to help my players he’s the one I’m not going to help."

"Rojo, Lindelof, Jones, Smalling, all of them are wishing to make the squad for the World Cup and Eric is not under that pressure."

"I try not to (make those sentimental decisions), I try to be a good team manager and that means a bit cold, a bit selfish but I’m not as bad as that and I still have space for a little bit of feelings so when I look to the other four central defenders fighting for a position in the World Cup I am giving less to Eric."

Jose on Lukaku :

"I don’t know, I just know that of course not tomorrow, apart from that we need to wait for more scans, more time."

Chance for the final ?

"Hope so. Looks positive."

Jose on Darmian & Blind :

"They are part of my plans. I think when a player wants to go if that’s the case and when the right offers arrive in the club we study that because we always try to have the players happy, so if happiness means for them to leave let’s see what happens but they are in my plans I don’t want to sell I want to keep."

Jose on De gea winning POTY :

"That’s good. Is quite surprising, is not so surprising because Ronaldo, Messi, Messi, Ronaldo don’t give many chances but is quite surprising in the big international awards there is never a goalkeeper on them and goalkeepers are fundamental in teams and David is having a very good season in the club and I don’t see it as a problem and looking to this season there were a few other players that wouldn’t be a bad choice to get the award but David was very consistent, he had some almost iconic saves because they were so fantastic and beautiful, so I feel good with it."

Jose on Brighton and Chris Hughton :

"Very very good, to go from very very good to amazing he just needs to mathematically confirmed the Premier League for next season, I think they don’t need more points I think they have the job done but mathematically they still need a point or something or other results to go their way."

"I think Brighton will be there next year and that’s a fantastic job for Chris and not surprising for me because since the start they have showed the quality and mentality to get the points they need to stay in the division which they have done in a very good way."

That Bailly quote is utter BS.

Why wouldn't Martial and Rashford get the same treatment over Sanchez, for example, then.

Fishy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayus lads, get over Ronnie he left you long ago.
    I really don't get the Ronnie adulation, he left you and was mad to go (Man U was only a stepping stone for him), used you last year as bait for getting a new contract with Madrid.

Liverpool might just have a ballon dor winner next year if (and yes it's a big) if Liverpool win the CL and Salah somehow manages to help Egypt to a quarter final in the world cup

he won a ballon dor when he was at united as well

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't care. It's about crossing the line.

so if he fails to win the champions league, there European season has been a failure :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why wouldn't Martial and Rashford get the same treatment over Sanchez, for example, then.

Fishy.

Could feel Rashford is 100% going, Martial is 100% not, but the center backs still have chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Is Martial even in consideration for the French World Cup squad?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Southgate has basically said Smalling has no chance.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Could feel Rashford is 100% going, Martial is 100% not, but the center backs still have chances?

Smalling is 99.9999% not going

260227.jpg

Fishy.

The exact thing I thought when I read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Find the Smalling exclusion for England bizarre. His ability on the ball is very poor, no question, but his defensive abilities get him a place in that squad easy.

Even with his occasional brainfart.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Yes he was in squad for last 2 games v russia and colombia and started v russia but his chances of going are 50/50

J. Marston wrote: »
    Find the Smalling exclusion for England bizarre. His ability on the ball is very poor, no question, but his defensive abilities get him a place in that squad easy.

Even with his occasional brainfart.

Southgate said in public (and he shouldnt have) that he wants players who are comfortable on the ball and smalling is not

Southgate has basically said Smalling has no chance.

When did he say that?

England aren't blessed with good CBS . Stones and Cahill starting pair?

yabadabado wrote: »
    When did he say that?

When he initially dropped him from the squad and said it was because he isn;t good enough on the ball to be part of his defence.

Harry Maguire?

When did he say that?

Back 3 with walker on the right side of the 3 and trippier as wing back

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Back 3 with walker on the right side of the 3 and trippier as wing back

Jaysus,Southgate has lost the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    so if he fails to win the champions league, there European season has been a failure :confused:

It's not a failure at all it's a measure that they have progressed sane as we have but you don't use that same logic while judging Jose.....

if we come second after our position last year that's a major progression bit it's not a success the only success we can have this season is if we win the fa cup that is worth any European final or second place league position.

Jaysus,Southgate has lost the plot.

He has actually done very well there.

Last 4 games they have played v italy germany holland and brazil and havent lost although they have scored 2 goals in them games

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's not a failure at all it's a measure that they have progressed sane as we have but you don't use that same logic while judging Jose.....

if we come second after our position last year that's a major progression bit it's not a success the only success we can have this season is if we win the fa cup that is worth any European final or second place league position.

There has been little or no progression in our football though. No idea what our game plan is even now and we are awful to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

When did he say that?

Cahill probably won't make the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement