Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jayus lads, get over Ronnie he left you long ago.
    I really don't get the Ronnie adulation, he left you and was mad to go (Man U was only a stepping stone for him), used you last year as bait for getting a new contract with Madrid.
    He got the ballon dor well after he left you.

Liverpool might just have a ballon dor winner next year if (and yes it's a big) if Liverpool win the CL and Salah somehow manages to help Egypt to a quarter final in the world cup

Pretty sure ye were frothing about "King Luis" when West Ham were playing ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    There has been little or no progression in our football though. No idea what our game plan is even now and we are awful to watch

Yes there has we are alot more comfortable against the top teams over the past six months then we ever were last year the only time there is no progression is when the players don't burst their bollox for the win.

Out of all the games we lost this year I think it was Newcastle I'm not sure but I can only think of one game where we lost against a lower league team where we can say the team really really tried there hardest there.

• bangkok wrote: »
    so if he fails to win the champions league, there European season has been a failure :confused:

The hypocrisy of you saying this when you judge others like Jose the complete opposite

It's goalpost moving at it's finest yet again

• bangkok wrote: »
    There has been little or no progression in our football though. No idea what our game plan is even now and we are awful to watch

Absolute round about nonsense and has nothing got to do with the original points being made

Liverpool have yet to win anything this season

If they win the CL then as I said hands up and give credit where it's due, but you were saying the exact same thing about Pottechino last month and look at Spurs and their complete and utter failure when the games that actually mattered presented themselves

Knocked out in CL Juve
    Knocked out of FA cup by Utd
    Won sweet **** all yet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Absolute round about nonsense and has nothing got to do with the original points being made

Liverpool have yet to win anything this season

If they win the CL then as I said hands up and give credit where it's due, but you were saying the exact same thing about Pottechino last month and look at Spurs and their complete and utter failure when the games that actually mattered presented themselves

Knocked out in CL Juve
    Knocked out of FA cup by Utd
    Won sweet **** all yet again

You dont need to win things to deserve credit.

Plenty of managers in the league who have done great jobs this season, sean dyche, rafa benitez, sam allardyce to name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Plenty of managers in the league who have done great jobs this season, sean dyche, rafa benitez, sam allardyce to name a few

Credit is fine where it's due, it's the nauseating levels of sycophancy from the media and other quarters for certain managers that I personally have an issue with.

Credit is fine where it's due, it's the nauseating levels of sycophancy from the media and other quarters for certain managers that I personally have an issue with.

What managers? Klopp and pep? Fergie got plenty of praise when we were playing great football. When jose has united playing great football he will get praise as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And winning things doesn't deserve credit either right?

pjohnson wrote: »
    And winning things doesn't deserve credit either right?

What? Who said it doesnt?

What managers? Klopp and pep? Fergie got plenty of praise when we were playing great football. When jose has united playing great football he will get praise as well

Klopp, Poch and Pep at the moment.

With the exception of Pep this season none of them deserve any major kudos but even at that he took the helm of a team that has spent well over €1,000,000,000 in the last 10 years so winning the league should be the minimum.

Poch has arguably been the best considering his spending has been dwarfed by those around him. But still and all, he has won nothing. And i don't want to hear any bullshyt about net spend either.

If Liverpool win the CL then Klopp will rightly get praise for it as it would be against expectations at the beginning of the season but the preening nonsense that is been levelled at him is currently, imo, unfounded.

• Advertisement

Fergie got praise more so for winning not for the type of football been played what good has sexy football done for Wenger now? You have to win things.

I only once ever remember United been praised for been the most exciting team in the world to watch that was the treble wining team with yorke and Cole.

The team ten years later was fantastic but was never talked about like the 99 team because of Barcelona and pep.

pep deserves praise for winning yes but people were saying oh he is the greatest and city are going to win 4 trophies they are the greatest premier league team ever. Sorry no they are not they have had probably one of the best league season's ever but to be the greatest team e we they have to emulate the best like by defending the league and going 3 in a row that's what makes teams the best ever.

Klopp deserves praise for the way he has pool playing but that's it he has not won anything in england and until he does he is not on the same level as the top past and present managers in the country.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Fergie got praise more so for winning not for the type of football been played what good has sexy football done for Wenger now? You have to win things.

I only once ever remember United been praised for been the most exciting team in the world to watch that was the treble wining team with yorke and Cole.

The team ten years later was fantastic but was never talked about like the 99 team because of Barcelona and pep.

pep deserves praise for winning yes but people were saying oh he is the greatest and city are going to win 4 trophies they are the greatest premier league team ever. Sorry no they are not they have had probably one of the best league season's ever but to be the greatest team e we they have to emulate the best like by defending the league and going 3 in a row that's what makes teams the best ever.

Klopp deserves praise for the way he has pool playing but that's it he has not won anything in england and until he does he is not on the same level as the top past and present managers in the country.

You have a bad memory so.

United were always given credit for playing great football and that team fergie built in 2008 got huge credit all over europe.

Even klopp said before the roma tie last week he wanted his liverpool team to be like fergies united and blow teams away early

With the exception of Pep this season none of them deserve any major kudos but even at that he took the helm of a team that has spent well over €1,000,000,000 in the last 10 years so winning the league should be the minimum.

Poch has arguably been the best considering his spending has been dwarfed by those around him. But still and all, he has won nothing. And i don't want to hear any bullshyt about net spend either.

If Liverpool win the CL then Klopp will rightly get praise for it as it would be against expectations at the beginning of the season but the preening nonsense that is been levelled at him is currently, imo, unfounded.

Klopp has arguably the best 3 forwards as a unit in europe right now. We probably have 3 better players in same position but jose has them playing no where near their potential

United were always given credit for playing great football and that team fergie built in 2008 got huge credit all over europe.

Even klopp said before the roma tie last week he wanted his liverpool team to be like fergies united and blow teams away early

Fergies teams were given credit for WINNING things, first and foremost. Do you genuinely think if the team didn't have the success they had that they would be remembered by many outside of the United fanbase?

They would in their hole.

Brendan Rodgers had Liverpool playing scintillating stuff by times in 13/14, will that be talked about in 2024? Nope, because they won nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Have a look at Liverpool's starting line up behind their front 3. Have a look at their bench. Klopp deserves serious credit in fairness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Klopp has arguably the best 3 forwards as a unit in europe right now. We probably have 3 better players in same position but jose has them playing no where near their potential

Really don't think so. Sanchez might pip Mane but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Brendan Rodgers had Liverpool playing scintillating stuff by times in 13/14, will that be talked about in 2024? Nope, because they won nothing.

They will be talked about alright :pac:

Fergies teams were given credit for WINNING things, first and foremost. Do you genuinely think if the team didn't have the success they had that they would be remembered by many outside of the United fanbase?

They would in their hole.

Winning and playing great football. The great football is very important and gets fans interested along with the magical players like cantona beckham scholes ronaldo etc

And you mention brendan rodgers liverpool yet you are still talking about them 4 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not off Liverpool fans pal. That's what you seem to be missing here. Or what you are playing up on. Either or.

• Advertisement

Have a look at Liverpool's starting line up behind their front 3. Have a look at their bench. Klopp deserves serious credit in fairness to him.

For not getting injuries in 2018? I'm not sure what the point is with this. They have a weak squad but good first XI.

Winning and playing great football. The great football is very important and gets fans interested along with the magical players like cantona beckham scholes ronaldo etc

And you mention brendan rodgers liverpool yet you are still talking about them 4 years later

I'm actually convinced that you are some kind of evil genius that has been fishing us all in for the last few years.

You said United were talked about for playing great football.

You move the posts so much you should work for a fencing contractor.

Good god.

I agree with you on most of that BC. Especially about Pep and how winning the PL at City, after the feats of the 'inferior' Mancini and Pellegrini before him, is the minimum expectation of Pep. I had that debate with bangkok a few weeks ago.

However, as much as it pains me to say it, I disagree about Klopp. I think as things stand he has done quite well with Liverpool this season and is deserving of some praise. He has made a very strong attacking team out of players who mostly weren't like that when he got them.

Liverpool can spend large when they do spend (VVD), but I think it's only fair to suggest that Klopp hasn't got the resources at his disposal which most other Top 6 managers do. He has James Milner playing better and receiving more plaudits than James Milner had any right to at this stage in his career. He has made Oxlade-C an important part of a potent attack, finally. Yes, Ox is injured now but that £35m fee didn't seem so laughable by the time he picked up that injury.

People can say that Klopp was lucky to have Salah, but he chose to sign Salah and made the conditions in the attack ripe for him to thrive. Also, as much as Salah has been scoring, all of their attack have stepped up over the last few months.

Earlier in the season I wouldn't have rated Klopp too highly, but unfortunately that has changed since then. He has done all this while losing his 'best' player in Coutinho. That was supposed to be the end of Liverpool's season, remember? Not the fúcking start of it :(

The way I see it, 90 minutes of football and Liverpool's name going on the CL trophy doesn't make or break Liverpool's season or Klopp's progress with them. As it stands in the CL without winning it, they have exceeded expectations. If they finish in the Top 4 to add to that, I think he has excelled this season and deserves some praise.

I know this isn't the Liverpool thread, and I'm not too fond of reading excessive fawning over opposition managers, but since it's topical I'm saying it once and in one post only - Kloppo is doing well at Liverpool.

m1Hwwuh.gif

eJqzrls.gif

2KroBv2.gif

zB8TrU4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm actually convinced that you are some kind of evil genius that has been fishing us all in for the last few years.

You said United were talked about for playing great football.

You move the posts so much you should work for a fencing contractor.

Good god.

tenor.gif?itemid=5340022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

For not getting injuries in 2018? I'm not sure what the point is with this. They have a weak squad but good first XI.

Apart from their front 3 their squad is ordinary at the very best. It's a huge achievement for Klopp to not only bring that team to a Champions League final, but to do it in style too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back in the 80s United were very much a cup team. They could play with flair, and on their day could beat anyone.

Then Fergie arrived and he started re-building a team that was capable of winning the league. He definitely retained an element of flair and you usually (certainly not always) got entertainment. United fans resented the fact they had not won the league for 20+ years, and consoled themselves that at least they played an entertaining form of football.

Fergie addressed the issue that had been caused by Big Ron before him. He re-introduced a proper youth system and that paid dividends. He knew that the fans were desperate to win the league, and certainly would have taken it with any style of football. However he stood by that entertaining style. He bough Lee Sharpe and introduced Giggs. The biggest contribution to their subsequent success was, in my view, Schmeichel who was bought the year they stopped the back pass. Schmeichel was perfectly suited to that new rule and could distribute the ball as well as any of the defenders at the club. That encouraged more flair football which was compounded when Cantona arrived. The team was packed with players who could entertain. Yes the defence was solid, without excessive flair, but everywhere else on the pitch you could look and hope for the unexpected and often would not be disappointed

We had the likes of Kanchelskis - perhaps one dimensional, but when you pointed him in that direction there was hardly any stopping him. Cantona embraced the fledglings and they rapidly grew in stature. United were winning titles, but unlike all those teams before them (certainly the previous 26 years), they were going to do it in a stylish fashion, and you could expect something special most weeks. That continued throughout the nineties and into the noughties, with Fergie appreciating United needed style players. We went after Ronaldinho but settled for Ronaldo who lit up half a decade.

Yes in Fergie's latter years it became as much a matter of winning trophies, but they at least continued doing it in a stylish fashion even if not hitting the heights of a decade or more previously.

Like it or lump it, Klopp is showing a similar aptitude to delivering a team that entertains. Their challenge will always be defence, whereas Fergie much of the time had world class keepers and a very solid defence.

Now the tables are turned and they are playing with flair, and we are playing for results. It will change back at some stage, because United are steeped in the tradition of winning things in style. In the meantime we probably need to accept the headlines are currently focussed on other clubs.

Would I have it any other way? For what we have seen over the last 28 years or so I'm happy to take a bit more of a lean time given the worldwide attraction of the club will hopefully ensure we are back in the headlines for the right reasons and for another extended period. Indeed one thing I always console myself with is it's the lean times that make the good times feel so good

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Great read

You should post in here more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Back in the 80s United were very much a cup team. They could play with flair, and on their day could beat anyone.

Then Fergie arrived and he started re-building a team that was capable of winning the league. He definitely retained an element of flair and you usually (certainly not always) got entertainment. United fans resented the fact they had not won the league for 20+ years, and consoled themselves that at least they played an entertaining form of football.

Fergie addressed the issue that had been caused by Big Ron before him. He re-introduced a proper youth system and that paid dividends. He knew that the fans were desperate to win the league, and certainly would have taken it with any style of football. However he stood by that entertaining style. He bough Lee Sharpe and introduced Giggs. The biggest contribution to their subsequent success was, in my view, Schmeichel who was bought the year they stopped the back pass. Schmeichel was perfectly suited to that new rule and could distribute the ball as well as any of the defenders at the club. That encouraged more flair football which was compounded when Cantona arrived. The team was packed with players who could entertain. Yes the defence was solid, without excessive flair, but everywhere else on the pitch you could look and hope for the unexpected and often would not be disappointed

We had the likes of Kanchelskis - perhaps one dimensional, but when you pointed him in that direction there was hardly any stopping him. Cantona embraced the fledglings and they rapidly grew in stature. United were winning titles, but unlike all those teams before them (certainly the previous 26 years), they were going to do it in a stylish fashion, and you could expect something special most weeks. That continued throughout the nineties and into the noughties, with Fergie appreciating United needed style players. We went after Ronaldinho but settled for Ronaldo who lit up half a decade.

Yes in Fergie's latter years it became as much a matter of winning trophies, but they at least continued doing it in a stylish fashion even if not hitting the heights of a decade or more previously.

Like it or lump it, Klopp is showing a similar aptitude to delivering a team that entertains. Their challenge will always be defence, whereas Fergie much of the time had world class keepers and a very solid defence.

Now the tables are turned and they are playing with flair, and we are playing for results. It will change back at some stage, because United are steeped in the tradition of winning things in style. In the meantime we probably need to accept the headlines are currently focussed on other clubs.

Would I have it any other way? For what we have seen over the last 28 years or so I'm happy to take a bit more of a lean time given the worldwide attraction of the club will hopefully ensure we are back in the headlines for the right reasons and for another extended period. Indeed one thing I always console myself with is it's the lean times that make the good times feel so good

tenor.gif

You should post in here more often.

It's hard for some people when you read the likes of our front 3 are better then Liverpool's.

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's hard for some people when you read the likes of our front 3 are better then Liverpool's.

At the start of the season if i asked you who was better...

Sanchez or salah

Firmino or lukaku

Martial or mane

I would put money on it most if not all would have said the 3 united players (sanchez being at arsenal start of season)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sanchez or salah

Firmino or lukaku

Martial or mane

I would put money on it most if not all would have said the 3 united players (sanchez being at arsenal start of season)
    History is littered with players who turned into not much more than one season wonders

Let's hope/dream another 3 join that particular club next season.....

• Advertisement

History is littered with players who turned into not much more than one season wonders

Let's hope/dream another 3 join that particular club next season.....

Yea except mane and salah are more than one season wonders, salah was excellent in italy as well and mane has been very good for a few years now in england. We nearly signed him a few years ago. Firmino has been converted from a winger to a very good centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is Liverpool you're talking about. Of course they will :p

Sanchez or salah

Firmino or lukaku

Martial or mane

Under Jose I'd take Lukakau over Firmino and I'd had Sanhez over mane any day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

How good will Liverpool's season look if Chelsea beat them on Sunday and then fail to beat Brighton on the last day and then Ronaldo beats them with a hat trick? No doubting their front 3 are on a tear the last few months. While they deservedly beat Roma, Wednesday also showed how poor they still are in defence and how lucky they were.
    Champagne football is fun and all but need to back it up with trophies to make it really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know it's always been the norm to go against Bangkok in here but it seems at times it's fuelled more to do with his reputation than his opinion.

Can even see the trend in the past couple of pages, Bangkok makes a point and most disagree with him, same point is made but fleshed out and it's applauded. It's something that appears to me is just growing. Really think no matter what he comes out with now it will be met with opposition.

Obviously most will give out about this post and disagree with me but so be it. With each day I check in on here and see the same shenanigans going on I find myself falling further towards the dark side of the thread.

Anyway Man United, nearly completely forgot the match was tonight!

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know it's always been the norm to go against Bangkok in here but it seems at times it's fuelled more to do with his reputation than his opinion.

Can even see the trend in the past couple of pages, Bangkok makes a point and most disagree with him, same point is made but fleshed out and it's applauded. It's something that appears to me is just growing. Really think no matter what he comes out with now it will be met with opposition.

Obviously most will give out about this post and disagree with me but so be it. With each day I check in on here and see the same shenanigans going on I find myself falling further towards the dark side of the thread.

Anyway Man United, nearly completed forgot the match was tonight!

The reason it seems everyone always goes again at him is because it's the same rehashed debates every day of the bloody week and not just from Bangkok.

Yesterday it was a debate about klopp getting praise which has been done to death this season and he sits on the side of praising klopp the manager or Liverpool of course he is going to have just about everyone in the United thread disagree with him.

Same as most other points such as dropping our top scorer and so and so forth the simple fact is Bangkok debates everything on here which he is completely entitled to do but he usually sits on the opposite side then every United fan which he is entitled to do also but no point in other people saying it's like he is been picked on or anything he knows well what the outcome will be because most debates he has fought them to the death already.

A well thought out and composed post will always be better received than a 1 or 2 liner, that goes for any forum on boards, I wouldn't have thought it needing spelling out tbh.

Bangkok has had form this year about posting in here bigging up Klopp, pep or Poch after we have had a bad result and naturally it rankles people. Again, I wouldn't have thought that was going to be a surprise.

I get what you are saying Cat, can I call you Cat?
    But for the first part I just personally don't see it that simple.
    A well thought out and composed post will always be better received than a 1 or 2 liner, that goes for any forum on boards, I wouldn't have thought it needing spelling out tbh.

Obviously agree more well thought out and composed posts will be better received but the essence of them still remains the same for both. There is difference in my eyes to a less composed post being overlooked while another more detailed being praised, to a less composed post being opposed while a more detailed one being commended. Unless somehow the details have been enough to change the opposing peoples mind, something you see fairly little on online forums tbh.
    Bangkok has had form this year about posting in here bigging up Klopp, pep
    or Poch after we have had a bad result and naturally it rankles people. Again, I
    wouldn't have thought that was going to be a surprise

Not a surprise to me at all as it actually links to my previous point about his reputation. The whole reputation over content.

I know you and most disagree with me but it's just what I personally have found during my time in the thread. Anyways I'll leave it at that and look ahead to tonight. Rather delighted the football is on tonight.

been going on a long time now, no matter what i say, even when its a valid point is met with opposition by the same few posters who then gang up giving each other virtual hi fives and the likes.

anyway, its an internet forum, each to their own :)

Bangkok has had form this year about posting in here bigging up Klopp, pep or Poch after we have had a bad result and naturally it rankles people. Again, I wouldn't have thought that was going to be a surprise.

and as i said before its much harder to do that when you are flying around and trying to post on a mobile phone, thats why majority of posts are short and sweet.

majority in here dont read long posts either, just ask thedoc ;)

• Advertisement

been going on a long time now, no matter what i say, even when its a valid point is met with opposition by the same few posters who then gang up giving each other virtual hi fives and the likes.

anyway, its an internet forum, each to their own :)

The problem is that every single day you make this thread the Bangkok show, and people are tired of that, you might make a good point and then when it’s challenged, instead of expanding on your original point,you continuously shift the goalposts, shifting the goalposts isn’t valid discussion, it’s fecking annoying.

Look I’m not going to get into a back and forth with you over it and I’d never ignore a person on this forum but you need to look at the reason why so many(it’s not just a handful) are annoyed by your posting style.

The tabloids have us linked to another Left-Winger.

Kluivert, that's right. Not Patrick but the young lad Justin playing at Ajax. This one.

fOdie71.png

Now my minds is telling me "Ridiculous tabloid journalism, we have a lot of LWs already, it's the RW we need to sort out."

But I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd love to see us make a go for him. 18 years old, maybe still young enough to get more familiar with the RW role and adapt to playing there, contract soon expiring, can send him out on loan but he has shown some very promising signs.

But he would be surplus to requirements really which is the negative. So I get people saying there is no point in pursuing him.

Also speaking of Dutch LWs, Memphis is having an absolute stormer to end the season.

Lyon have moved up to 2nd but it's so close with 3 games left. Could still end up in 4th place.
    Memphis has been instrumental to their charge though. Last month he scored in all 5 of their games. (On a 6 game scoring streak)
    So in the last 6 games he's contributed 7 goals and 6 assists. Absolutely crazy form. Pretty sure he has gotten 4 MotM awards in that stint too.

I understand some people want nothing to do with him, and links to above about how any more LW will just be surplus to requirements but as long as we have the buy-back option I'll always be keeping an eye on him. Could well be seeing him in CL football next season if the form continues until end of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is he a LW?

I always sign him quickly on my Football Manager saves this year and I think he plays RW on it. I always deploy him on the RW anyway and he's awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is he a LW?

I always sign him quickly on my Football Manager saves this year and I think he plays RW on it. I always deploy him on the RW anyway and he's awesome.

Ajax usually play him from the LW but he is right footed AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Also speaking of Dutch LWs, Memphis is having an absolute stormer to end the season.

Lyon have moved up to 2nd but it's so close with 3 games left. Could still end up in 4th place.
    Memphis has been instrumental to their charge though. Last month he scored in all 5 of their games. (On a 6 game scoring streak)
    So in the last 6 games he's contributed 7 goals and 6 assists. Absolutely crazy form. Pretty sure he has gotten 4 MotM awards in that stint too.

I understand some people want nothing to do with him, and links to above about how any more LW will just be surplus to requirements but as long as we have the buy-back option I'll always be keeping an eye on him. Could well be seeing him in CL football next season if the form continues until end of the season.

After being brought back down to earth at Lyon (hopefully) I wouldn’t be opposed to José meeting him (I know it’s tapping up, but it happens everyday) and gauging where he’s at. If he feels he was wronged at United and is up on his high horse then forget it, BUT If he feels he has a point to prove and that he wants to light up Old Trafford and the Champions league rather then the French league well then give the lad another crack!

Ligue 1 is a step up from the Dutch league, which is good for him, but not anywhere near the bigger leagues. There are a handful of good teams in the league but there are some pretty poor teams underneath that.

I'd be very wary of Memphis and his ability to step up to a big club with expectations. His issues have always been confidence and of the mental variety, not the type of person to get us to take the next step.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    After being brought back down to earth at Lyon (hopefully) I wouldn’t be opposed to José meeting him (I know it’s tapping up, but it happens everyday) and gauging where he’s at. If he feels he was wronged at United and is up on his high horse then forget it, BUT If he feels he has a point to prove and that he wants to light up Old Trafford and the Champions league rather then the French league well then give the lad another crack!

but we dont need a left sided attacker... martial is barely getting any game time and he is a much better player than depay

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is he a LW?

yabadabado wrote: »

Yeah correct, he can and has played RW but seems to be deployed out LW by Ajax, saying that whenever I've watched him play and the highlights he tends to float and gets freedom to move around so not strictly on the left.

I think he prefers his right foot, generally goes to shoot with it but really is pretty much same on either left or right foot. His skill and control at such a young age is amazing, some of the first touches and flicks leave the defenders in his dust.

I like to think we are in looking at him but somehow think it won't happen.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »

He’s equally good with either foot imo, he has very good numbers for his age, he started the season off at RW I think before moving over and holding down the Left hand side so he does have experience on the right..

Jose is a big admirer supposedly, his agent is Mino btw :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement