Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know what only thinking about this today. Didn’t listen to my pods yesterday with the bank holiday so went through three today.

Second captains , Sunday supplement and totally football.

While I’m engrossed by the United talk and Ken Early on second captains fans of other clubs must be thinking it’s getting ridiculous haha. He’s just consumed with Mourinho haha.

Second Captains, a podcast I must actually start listening to.

United are under the microscope at the moment. If you want to hear City news, or Pool or Chelsea, or even something from La Liga, well then fúck you :pac:
    jayo26 wrote: »
    That's like something I'd write stop bullying me.

You know, you could do far worse than being the 'Ricky' of the United thread!

Do you smoke foot hash?

Did you get your grade 10 yet?

Do you live in your car?

Ricky is an island of personality and class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Morning papers:
    The Express, Jose wants 8 out to find moves for Veratti,Kroos, Alderweireld and Umtiti.

The Mail, United are giving up on Griezmann and will move for Bale.
    Not United related but seeing as so many want him here,Pochetino is wanted by Bayern Munich.

Morning papers:
    The Express, Jose wants 8 out to find moves for Veratti,Kroos, Alderweireld and Umtiti.

The Mail, United are giving up on Griezmann and will move for Bale.
    Not United related but seeing as so many want him here,Pochetino is wanted by Bayern Munich.

ah yes please :) also a couple of fbs thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Veratti and Kroos would have to be funded by Pogba leaving, I would imagine.

Though I feel Veratti and Kroos, along with Matic, would be a fecking odd midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Veratti and Kroos would have to be funded by Pogba leaving, I would imagine.

Though I feel Veratti and Kroos, along with Matic, would be a fecking odd midfield.

It'd be a particularly odd midfield to have if you're going to continue to kick the ball over their heads!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Another clearout.....yipeeeeee.....lets buy all the players....much easier than actual coaching.

I wonder will any more of Mourinhos own signings be part of the clearout?

There is nothing that makes me more down about following United than the thought of ripping up everything and signing a load of Jose type players.

But hey, if they don't have the personality type that JM can work with then just get rid man.....

ericzeking wrote: »
    Another clearout.....yipeeeeee.....lets buy all the players....much easier than actual coaching.

There is nothing that makes me more down about following United than the thought of ripping up everything and signing a load of Jose type players.

But hey, if they don't have the personality type that JM can work with then just get rid man.....
    I do somewhat agree - the coaching of players needs to improve, to improve the players we already have.

However, there are a bunch of players that simply haven't worked out, under Moyes, LVG or Mourinho and we just need to move on and get better players.

Blind, Darmian, Shaw easy first choices to be sold. Smalling/Jones need to be moved on, we need a more reliable CB. Carrick is on the way out, Fellaini too if he doesn't sign a new contract and Herrera has be RUBBISH this season, would be no surprise if Jose was ok with him being moved on.

De Gea
    Bailly
    Matic
    Pogba
    Mata
    Martial
    Rashford
    Lukaku
    Sanchez

The reality is I think they are the only players that are truly of the talent we need - anyone else could be shipped off and replaced and I wouldn't particularly care.

Lindelof, Lingard McTominay and a few others as squad players are grand and I wouldn't move them on.

Romeo,Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Valencia, Fellaini, Herrera, Ibrahimovic, Young - all could be moved on in the summer and replaced with better players without having to look to far or hard. They've had their time and meh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ericzeking wrote: »

Ripping up what exactly, the vision of Moyes or Van Gaal?

Carrick retirement, Ibra same, Blind and Darmian two squad players not playing, Shaw who can't get a run of games ahead of Ashley Young. Not much of a clear out either.

Jose or no Jose, the changes out and more players in are needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can't understand some of the arguements for outing Jose. I disagree but I understand.

I don't understand how anyone can look at the whole squad, compare it to city who are the main front runners next year, and think "nah, good enough". There's a lot of deadwood, a lot of older players, and be it Jose or anyone else, there does still need to be massive work done on the squad.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I can't understand some of the arguements for outing Jose. I disagree but I understand.

I don't understand how anyone can look at the whole squad, compare it to city who are the main front runners next year, and think "nah, good enough". There's a lot of deadwood, a lot of older players, and be it Jose or anyone else, there does still need to be massive work done on the squad.

I'm not particularly calling for him to be sacked, but if he wasn't I wouldn't be up in arms over it either.

I do think there are quality issues compared to City - but compared to most other sides we are at least as good on paper if not a lot better, but we continually grind out decent results with poor performances.

I think there is the quality in the United side to play much better football and still be at least in the position we are in. We have the quality on paper, at least, to beat Seville - not get utterly outplayed.

Do I think the United squad lacks ultimate quality, yep.

Do I think Jose is getting the most out the players? Nope.
    Do I think Jose has significantly improved United as a football team in the last 12 months? Nope.
    Do I have confidence that 12 months from now, Jose will have United playing much better football? Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Before the season started there were plenty that thought our squad was as good as citys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Before the season started there were plenty that thought our squad was as good as citys...

Opinions are allowed change ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »

So are players. ie. Ander Herrera

City improved from a position of strength,we are still building up to that position. After Moyes and LVG with their fooling around we got left behind.
    If Jose didn't get rid of deadwood, he's criticised,if he gets rid, he's criticised. He can't win. I couldn't care less if I didn't see Smalling,Jones, Darmian or Blind at the club next season. I liked Blind and felt he could have been the replacement for Carrick.

Yep they are, but players have not played to their potential. In terms of quality we have plenty of good players, there is no way we should be as far behind city. That rests on the managers shoulder. Martial is a class act and he looks lost. Pogba same

Yep they are, but players have not played to their potential. In terms of quality we have plenty of good players, there is no way we should be as far behind city. That rests on the managers shoulder. Martial is a class act and he looks lost. Pogba same

This has to be the most inane, frustrating oft repeated soundbyte of the season.

pjohnson wrote: »
    This has to be the most inane, frustrating oft repeated soundbyte of the season.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

As much as I agree that it is clear that there are a group of people who want José out and any cost, which obviously can be frustrating in a forum as there isn't much wiggle room for a debate that goes anywhere, over the last few weeks what has been frustrating me even more is the group of fans who will defend José against absolutely everything and absolve him of any blame.

Any mention of criticism towards him is generally met with rolling eyes and accusations that people will try use anything as a stick to beat him. In some cases yes, some fans are doing this, but I find it's now been thrown as a blanket over any criticism, even criticism that is valid. Like the fans using anything as a stick to beat him, these fans use anything as a shield to defend him.

I've been very critical of José and think he hasn't been getting the best out of the players, but still believe he deserves to stay on and next season will be the deciding factor. A statement I've found can rattle both sets of fans. I know it's silly of me to complain, but I just can't help myself :pac:

Why?

Because if you look at the context.. City are in a record breaking season..

We have maintained a 2.16 points per game average, of you told me at the start of the season that after 30 games we would have 65 points I’d snap your hand off because in the grand scheme of things that would usually have you there or thereabouts coming in to the run in. We are on course for a total of 82 points if we continue as is. Now while that might not be enough to win it in the majority of years it would be a hell of a lot closer than what it is now. That in itself is a massive amount of progress in terms of league position and points totals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I

Romeo,Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Valencia, Fellaini, Herrera, Ibrahimovic, Young - all could be moved on in the summer and replaced with better players without having to look to far or hard. They've had their time and meh.

Would hate to see Romero move on. Great back up keeper. Also even if we get a new left back I can see Ash playing 40-50% of games next year in all comps

• Advertisement

Why?

Because it is a useless statement. For all the harping on and fawning that people do about how great City are when compared to us, they simultaneously seem to completely fail to actually see and understand the record breaking season they are having.

Jaap Stam sacked by Reading.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Because it is a useless statement. For all the harping on and fawning that people do about how great City are when compared to us, they simultaneously seem to completely fail to actually see and understand the record breaking season they are having.

Newcastle Away - Lost.
    Southampton Home - Drew.
    Burnley Home - Drew.
    City Home - Lost.
    Huddersfield Away - Lost.
    Stoke Away - Drew.

That is 9 to 11 points, imo, we should not have dropped this season.

That is why I think a team playing better, more cohesive, football with the current players, should be closer to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find the issue with this is typically people looking at immediate or recent form, as opposed to the underlying attributes and characteristics of the players and what they have shown in glimpses or in past clubs etc.

And then you have to somehow, which is impossible, remove the managers influence. Which is extremely difficult. But for some examples. And as someone who has maintained throughout it's an excuse saying City's squad is immeasurably better, is not accurate and just that, an excuse.

Noting that what I'm doing below is taking the players from what I believe (and obviously that is open to debate) in terms of their potential, ability, attributes or what they have shown

Goalkeeper
    Think we all know the score here. De Gea is the best. And even our backup is a top goalkeeper.

CB
    John Stones was hyped to the hills about "potentially" being a ball playing CB. We had Daley Blind actually do it for a season. For all the negativity he got, for all the mistrust, he delivered consistently over the course of a season at CB. Blind or Stones? Well Blind has actually done it.

Otamendi, Laporte, Kompany, Stones vs Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindeloff? I don't think there is much if anything there between the sets.

FB's
    Mendy, Delph, Walker, Danilo vs Valencia, Darmian, Young, Shaw. City probably do just shade this. But not drastically I don't think.

Midfield
    De Bruyne, Silva, Fernandhino, Gundagon vs Pogba, Matic, Fellaini, Hererra
    This is the part where it gets "what are you talking about" but the point is to remember you need to forget current form and a managers/coaches influence. De Bruyne has been class since he moved to City, and was class at Wolfsburg, but so was Pogba at Juventus. Pogba can, and should, be operating at the level and influence of De Bruyne. And I'm sure he will, I fully believe Pogba will get there.

In the DM position, much of a muchness, probably down to your preference. I didn't rate Fernadhino much if I'm honest (remembering, he's shot on miles since Pep came in)

And Silva is only here because Pep has him playing here. We could move Mata into the vs and remove Fellaini. Mata has been and can be just as influential as Silva, who has had a few shakey ropey seasons which plenty of people for some reason like to forget.

I don't see City being miles better here in terms of players. Can't emphasise this enough, when we are measuring squads and players pound for pound.

Attackers
    Sane, Silva, Sterling vs Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Sanchez, Mata

We've more options, more styles and methods and have one of the best wide players in the leagues for what, 3-4 years, in Sanchez.

Again, pound for pound, player vs player, I'm not seeing City being anywhere near better then us, if anything, we have more options. And in Martial and Rashford we have potential that appears limitless. In Mata and Sanchez we have players established, that deliver season after season. And in Lingard we have someone we need to re-evaluate.

Strikers
    Aguero, Jesus vs Lukaku, Zlatan

This is probably where City pip us, but I don't believe by miles either. Aguero is and has been a world class striker for sometime now. He is brilliant. Lukaku has delivered 20+ goals a season since he's been in the premier league, and if he continues he will gain that respect Aguero has, consistently delivery for a big team challenging. And while Aguero is better, because he is arguably the best in the league, I still don't see it being "miles" ahead or us being left in the dust.

Zlatan isn't a factor this season, but he was last season, and is one of the best strikers of his generation.

I havn't even touched on many squad players that we both have.

Bit long winded, but I just hate "hearing" the City squad being better than ours. I think it's just an excuse, because what is consistently omitted in that discussion is the managers influence. The squads, pound for pound, arn't much different, there is minor advantages in some areas they have, where we have in others.

The underlining factor is the performances the managers are extracting from the respective set of players.

Just wanted to put it out there, as Lord mentions, unable to understand how people look at our squad versus City's and can't comprahend or understand what we expect.

I say we, obviously this is just my take, but from conversations I've had on this topic I believe the above is somewhat similar to where the general opinion comes from. You need to look at it without applying recency bias in terms of form, and remove the managers influence, and just look at the players as objectively as you can.

Nearly like say if you just threw them into a Football Manager simulator where the managers where carbon copies of each other, they played the same tactics and same instructions, and saw what happened.

Newcastle Away - Lost.
    Southampton Home - Drew.
    Burnley Home - Drew.
    City Home - Lost.
    Huddersfield Away - Lost.
    Stoke Away - Drew.

That is 9 to 11 points, imo, we should not have dropped this season.

That is why I think a team playing better, more cohesive, football with the current players, should be closer to City.

In fairness we used to drop silly points all the time, most teams do. I’m sure that’s why we both love and hate football, it’s such an unpredictable game.. unless you’re a City fan I suppose then it’s predictable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm not particularly calling for him to be sacked, but if he wasn't I wouldn't be up in arms over it either.

I do think there are quality issues compared to City - but compared to most other sides we are at least as good on paper if not a lot better, but we continually grind out decent results with poor performances.

I think there is the quality in the United side to play much better football and still be at least in the position we are in. We have the quality on paper, at least, to beat Seville - not get utterly outplayed.

Do I think the United squad lacks ultimate quality, yep.

Do I think Jose is getting the most out the players? Nope.
    Do I think Jose has significantly improved United as a football team in the last 12 months? Nope.
    Do I have confidence that 12 months from now, Jose will have United playing much better football? Nope.

I think those 3 points are sack-able offences. The main one being not being able to get the best out of the squad, I can accept the defence needs work but that attack should not be so passive and predictable.

Everything points to Joses best days being well and truly gone.

I personally think hes toxic for the club and cant wait until until his gone.

In fairness we used to drop silly points all the time, most teams do. I’m sure that’s why we both love and hate football, it’s such an unpredictable game.. unless your a City fan I suppose :D

I get that - my general point is that there are games I expect us to drop points in - such as Chelsea away, City, Liverpool - so I'm not saying we should have 100%, but there are a number of games this season that we have played rubbish and lost points where we should have not.

The reality is that if we want to win the title, we can't be turning up half asleep and losing to Huddersfield or dropping 6 points in 3 games with successive draws to Leicester, Burnley and Southampton. (Burnley and Southampton at home).

Those games, this season, were poor, stupid, avoidable results - and that is what has killed us. We should be closer to City, imo - the squad is there to have picked up 6 points rather than 2 vs Burnley and Southampton at home.

If we want to win the title, we need to turn up and perform every week.

Also in terms of the clearing out and the deadwood. I'm seeing some people post about this that I remember vividly stating that things can't change over a summer and its all part of a project or it takes time. And that is true, you can't turnaround a squad in a summer.

But look at the lists that are going to likely appear in the media, or here, or on panels or wherever. Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Herrera, Fellaini, Ibrahimovic,Jones/Smalling

Mourinho has always been insistent on the number of his squad and what he wants to work with. Is he going to get 6/7 new players in? Are we going to consolidate and go for quality and Jose work with a smaller squad?Also what of that is actually deadwood. These are the names that Jose will deem not good enough, or be big enough to play for United?

I think it's worth probably calling it what it is. They are not deadwood, they are players that the manager doesn't trust or like, has fallen out with and just wants shot off. And that's fine, his decision and remit. But as fans and the money likely going to be spent I guess we should expect much better coming inbound.

I get that - my general point is that there are games I expect us to drop points in - such as Chelsea away, City, Liverpool - so I'm not saying we should have 100%, but there are a number of games this season that we have played rubbish and lost points where we should have not.

The reality is that if we want to win the title, we can't be turning up half asleep and losing to Huddersfield or dropping 6 points in 3 games with successive draws to Leicester, Burnley and Southampton. (Burnley and Southampton at home).

If we want to win the title, we need to turn up and perform every week.

I really do understand where you are coming from and agree somewhat, but I still maintain that we are having a good season points wise. I think it’s a bit silly(not aimed at you) to be expecting to go from the position we were in last season to a record breaking season. We are steadily progressing in terms of ppg and league position.

If we regress next season and fail to put up a challenge, then I along with most other people will rightly call for Jose to leave.

• Advertisement

Also in terms of the clearing out and the deadwood. I'm seeing some people post about this that I remember vividly stating that things can't change over a summer and its all part of a project or it takes time. And that is true, you can't turnaround a squad in a summer.

But look at the lists that are going to likely appear in the media, or here, or on panels or wherever. Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Herrera, Fellaini, Ibrahimovic,Jones/Smalling

Mourinho has always been insistent on the number of his squad and what he wants to work with. Is he going to get 6/7 new players in? Are we going to consolidate and go for quality and Jose work with a smaller squad?Also what of that is actually deadwood. These are the names that Jose will deem not good enough, or be big enough to play for United?

I think it's worth probably calling it what it is. They are not deadwood, they are players that the manager doesn't trust or like, has fallen out with and just wants shot off. And that's fine, his decision and remit. But as fans and the money likely going to be spent I guess we should expect much better coming inbound.

Darmian hasn't done anything for united since his first few games. Shaw hasn't done it consistently under Jose or LVG. I do think we should have used Blind more, but I don't see him as more than a squad player. Smalling is too prone to mistakes and terrible positioning - he's been here for 7 years or something. He's 28. I don't think he is at the level required now, and I have zero faith he will be next year. One good season as Mike, under LVG. Rest of the time has been very inconsistent.

Fellaini is a decent squad option but his passing and creativity is poor for a CM that is used in an attacking role. Also, Jose wants to keep him - he wants to leave.

Herrera has been terrible this season and cost himself a place in the side, imo.

Ibrahimovic is physically done.

De Gea, Romero, Pereira.
    Valencia, Bailly, New CB, New LB, Fosu-Mensah, Rojo, Lindelof, Young, Jones.
    New CM, Matic, Pogba, McTominay, Herrera, Pereira, New CM.
    Sanchez, Martial, Mata, Rashford, Lingard
    Lukaku.

That's what I'd be aiming at as a realistic 25man squad for next season.

Would still feel a new RB to replace Valencia would be needed, but him and TFM competing could be enough for next season, allowing us to concentrate on 1CB, 1LB,2CM which is where the greatest requirements are, imo.

Gomes as the youth player to possibly push for some sort of role.

Could also, easily, see A.Pereira simply being sold and wouldn't be suprised to see Herrera leave and Fellaini stay (or both go).

In fairness we used to drop silly points all the time, most teams do. I’m sure that’s why we both love and hate football, it’s such an unpredictable game.. unless you’re a City fan I suppose then it’s predictable :D

Even City managed to drop points against Crystal Palace and Burnley so even they aren't 100% predictable.

I know people will argue we had more of a rebuilding job but City this season did strike a perfect match of quality players and tactics to suit.

I'm all for bringing in new additions during the window to improve the team, it's part of the game, but I would be more concerned about sorting out the squad we currently have beforehand.

Over the last number of windows we seem to be focused on brining in big money signings and players without addressing the issues we currently have. At the moment it's either players are not playing up to potential, or tactics are not suiting them. Sometimes bringing in big players can fix this but in my opinion we would want to get our team performing well and consistent for the end of the season and build a platform to bring in more players to improve on it, rather than bring in another star who struggles to find form in the setup.

I'm not sure if I have explained myself too well, and I'm hesitant anything will be done before the season is out. But I after a number of big name players struggling to find their feet here recently I would be cautious of any more big name signings until our current squad looks to have gained some consistency.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know people will argue we had more of a rebuilding job but City this season did strike a perfect match of quality players and tactics to suit.

I'm all for bringing in new additions during the window to improve the team, it's part of the game, but I would be more concerned about sorting out the squad we currently have beforehand.

Over the last number of windows we seem to be focused on brining in big money signings and players without addressing the issues we currently have. At the moment it's either players are not playing up to potential, or tactics are not suiting them. Sometimes bringing in big players can fix this but in my opinion we would want to get our team performing well and consistent for the end of the season and build a platform to bring in more players to improve on it, rather than bring in another star who struggles to find form in the setup.

I'm not sure if I have explained myself too well, and I'm hesitant anything will be done before the season is out. But I after a number of big name players struggling to find their feet here recently I would be cautious of any more big name signings until our current squad looks to have gained some consistency.

I personally dont think its a player issue. Yes we could do with a few upgrades but our tactics, especially in big games is awful. We are way too deep and invite pressure on our defence and then when we do have the ball there is too much a gap between our midfield and striker and we end up hoofing a long ball up to lukaku who is isolated and surrounded by defenders. Its awful football to watch and it must be infuriating being an attacking player in our team right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What’s your thoughts on Johnny Evans possibly being available for £3 million if West Brom are relegated. Would you take him back?

Lets say we sell Jones and Smalling for instance for about £50 million combined, would you take Johnny Evans and a top class CB to fill their positions?

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    What’s your thoughts on Johnny Evans possibly being available for £3 million if West Brom are relegated. Would you take him back?

Lets say we sell Jones and Smalling for instance for about £50 million combined, would you take Johnny Evans and a top class CB to fill their positions?

At that price 100%

he left to be first choice, why would he come back to be second choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

For £3 million I pay for the taxi to get him :pac:

But seriously I'd take him as a viable option anyway. He's an upgrade on Smalling and I don't see us getting Alderweireld or Umtiti despite how much I'd love the former.

According to MEN, Luke Shaw has been spotted putting in extra training sessions this week. Those not gone on international break were given the option to take some time off but apparently Shaw has been spotted putting in the extra hours.

Hopefully looking to prove critics of his work ethic wrong.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-luke-shaw-mourinho-14438271.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just curious to the people who want Jose gone or will do if it's same next time season.

Who do you replace Him with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't like Mourinho but I'd be disappointed if he was fired or left.

We've every chance of becoming more stable than we are now next season, then let's see.

Just curious to the people who want Jose gone or will do if it's same next time season.

I don't want him gone this season. While he's done enough in my mind to merit his stay he hasn't lived up to the expectations at the start of the season.

People can argue saying I set these expectations too high myself, but after a brilliant transfer window and cracking start I'm sure most expected a great season.

It hasn't been terrible, but the quality of football has been shocking poor at times and deflating. For me, like many others, next season will be the deciding year for José.

After another window where we will presumably spend big on bringing in players, there can be no excuse to not getting the best out of the squad we have. We have so many quality players in the squad at the moment and it just feels like wasted potential at times.

So in summary for me, I don't want him gone yet, but next season we need an improvement in play, not just points. On who will replace him, hard to say at the moment, but mainly because I haven't given it too much thought since I don't see him leaving yet. Any chance of travelling back in time before Moyes got appointed and giving it to AVB? :pac:

Gas really, can't see him anywhere near managing the team now, but after Fergie left he was the man I was desperate for us to appoint haha!

he left to be first choice, why would he come back to be second choice?

I think he was pushed rather than he jumped?

But other than that he is good enough to play a decent amount of games for us and what other option is there? Everton, West Ham, Arsenal?

I think his wife still being employed at MUTV and possibly still living in the area would be a reason he would consider it.

I don't think I'm in the "Jose Out" camp fully but I'm currently ok with the idea of it happening. The 6 points over Christmas and the City game really swung me as I barely said a word against him before that. I supported him mostly and was delighted we had him.
    In saying that, I have said repeatedly I have no other viable option in my head other than Pochettino and I have ruled that out for at least another year or two. I've joked a couple of times about Brendan Rodgers but in all seriousness I just think we are better sticking with Jose and backing him for this clear out the media are reporting. I'm an atheist but feel like I have to have faith and just believe it will get better.

I'm starting to wonder if Pochetino is the closest thing I can see to Ferguson. He's a guy who by his own admission idolised Ferguson, and he has a lot of similarities.

I find the put down of him not winning anything obscure and odd. He's consistently overachieving with Totenham, is a modern coach that not only can construct a pattern of play through the team, but also in attack. Has shown he is flexible tactically and stylistically.

He's a very impressive manager in my eyes. That he hasn't won anything is a weird thing to put against him.

Totenham have been a nothing team in my lifetime. Pochetino has come in and made them actual contenders, to the point where people are actually questioning why isn't he winning anything.

What people don't seem to realise when they use this stick to beat him with, is that they are literally paying him a massive compliment as opposed to the critiscm they think they are making.

When I see Spurs play, I see a reflection of a manager who is flexible, adaptable, can coach an entire team and components and has the backing of all his players. And done it all with less resources than others. He is as ruthless as they come, but has that old school Fergie mentality of you know who he has fallen out with, but hes not going to tell anyone in public.

In saying that who knows what might surface or be around by the time the club calls time on Mourinho. I'd imagine though if he keeps up this level with Totenham, he'd be up the top end of any shortlist.

Also no thanks on Johnny Evans. I never thought he was good enough with us and while I obviously wouldn't pay any attention to West Brom, I'd imagine there is a bit of "that" situation developing like a Shay Given, Michael Keane etc. Players in some teams that look amazing because the teams are poor and they have more opportunity to be involved and look good.

@TheDoc

He is the only name in the hat for me. But unless United are ruthless with Jose and go after Poch as soon as the season ends then he will be already in the cluthces of Real Madrid if they sack Zidane. I don't really ever see Pochettino at United as it would probably have to be when Jose leaves Utd and Poch leaves Real at the same time.

@TheDoc

He is the only name in the hat for me. But unless United are ruthless with Jose and go after Poch as soon as the season ends then he will be already in the cluthces of Real Madrid if they sack Zidane. I don't really ever see Pochettino at United as it would probably have to be when Jose leaves Utd and Poch leaves Real at the same time.

The man hasn't even left Spurs yet and you're discussing his departure from Madrid :pac:

Also no thanks on Johnny Evans. I never thought he was good enough with us and while I obviously wouldn't pay any attention to West Brom, I'd imagine there is a bit of "that" situation developing like a Shay Given, Michael Keane etc. Players in some teams that look amazing because the teams are poor and they have more opportunity to be involved and look good.

But for £3 million and as a replacement for Phil Jones who never plays anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What about Zidane actually?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement