Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

BenK wrote: »
    There are so many players in the squad I have an irrational dislike for, too many to name really. There are far too many players that just being at United and doing the bare minimum appears to be enough.

With all the money spent, and apart from ability, where are the current players that offer you the leadership and character that the likes of Robson, Hughes, Cantona, Ince, Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, Pallister, Neville, Cole, Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, etc. etc. did. All players who just hated losing any match.
    I’d say the current lot hate losing too, but then they look at their bank accounts and say “meh”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

This has to be up there with Liverpool and sevilla for our worst performance of the season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Hopefully this puts an end to why is martial not been picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

****ing embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Martial is a moody waster who doesn't try a leg and Rashford has the footballing IQ of a grape.

Wasted potential is all either of them will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Quandary wrote: »
    This has to be up there with Liverpool and sevilla for our worst performance of the season...

Not sure if it makes it better or worse, but those were games we were at full streght. This was the fringe players getting a chance and showing ZERO desire....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Folks. This is a nothing game. The league is over. After top place the next 3 matter and you guys have one of those places. On to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    At any point has it ever looked like a front line of Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lingard can do anything but struggle against teams?

It's not shocking. Jose brought in Lukaku, brought in Sanchez, and our results improved. They don't play, and it's back to the same old dross. There's a level of player that is slowly being phased out, thankfully. The more that happens, the less these games will crop up.

As far as I'm concerned, this does little but justify calls for a lot of these players to be shipped out...

Yep. Rashford is too young to write off and got thrown in deep end so early in his career he is still only developing tbh. But Martial, Darmian, Fellaini (on tonights "performance"), Mata all barely got into gear. No fight or desire.

And its pretty obvious some will go and say if Martial is sold he'll be the next De Bruyne/Salah but in reality given his current performances he doesn't deserve to be on the pitch NOW. I couldn't care how good he is in 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Folks. This is a nothing game. The league is over. After top place the next 3 matter and you guys have one of those places. On to next season.
    Thanks for clearing that up for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Damien360 wrote: »

Like so many times this season, it's not the result that's the major issue, it's the manner of our performance.

• Advertisement

If fellaini gets a new contract we only sign one midfielder.... let that sink in after watching that **** tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just awful to watch too many players competitive with one another rather than playing as a team stinker of a performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Good job Liverpool distracted with Europe else we wouldn't finish second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep. Rashford is too young to write off and got thrown in deep end so early in his career he is still only developing tbh. But Martial, Darmian, Fellaini (on tonights "performance"), Mata all barely got into gear. No fight or desire.

And its pretty obvious some will go and say if Martial is sold he'll be the next De Bruyne/Salah but in reality given his current performances he doesn't deserve to be on the pitch NOW. I couldn't care how good he is in 4 years time.

He's went backwards in the second half of the season and as of now shouldn't be starting ahead of Sanchez.

We really missed him and Lukaku tonight pray there both back and at there best for the fa cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not good enough. But this is the way it's going to be.

So frustrating how we can beat Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs but lose to these sh*tty sides battling for relegation. Serious issue here

They beat Arsenal, drew with spurs two weeks ago.

This game means everything to them and nothing to us.

It's not that serious of an issue tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

You don't want to over react to the result as it wasn't a full strength team and there's not a whole lot to play for in the league but you'd be hoping some of the second choice players would bust a gut to make a case for getting into the cup final team.

There are far too many passengers in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ref allowed play to continue way too often advantage doesn't work when the opposition are ploughing the players continually bad night in every aspect on to midweek to try and get the points we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Happy for Chris Hughton though. Great job by his to keep Brighton up with 2 games to spare. They were will drilled tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He needs to get rid of an awful lot of crap In that squad first.

For all the talk of not needing any more forwards the ones on pitch tonight have been puke.

He does indeed.

Tonight, we were playing a team fighting for their lives. United made 6 changes from last week and are comfortably second. We can say what we want but there is nothing to play for with a bigger FA cup final and World Cup summer coming up. Even the subs felt like a pre game plan to give everybody a run out rather then a tactical ploy to claw back the game.

It’s not inconceivable that Jose wants to see what reactions he will get from his players up until the FA cup final. I’m not saying he doesn’t mind losing but tonight’s lineup wouldn’t of looked out of place in a league cup game.

Sanchez, Lukaku, Herrera, Bailly , Valencia would generally start when fit. Today’s game was full of expendables or players just not ready to take the step up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

limnam wrote: »

Losing to a team of that level and stature is serious at any stage of the season.

We should be winning these games with room to spare with the players we have there are no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Don't see how them lot are going to be able to muster up a title challenge next season never mind actually winning the league. Diabolical performance by nearly every red on that pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Martial getting another roasting, with this game being further proof as to why he shouldn't be starting. Yet people won't bat an eyelid if Mata or Lingard are in the starting XI for the cup final despite neither doing anything of note recently either. It always seems to be Martial playing for his place and no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Martial getting another roasting, with this game being further proof as to why he shouldn't be starting. Yet people won't bat an eyelid if Mata or Lingard are in the starting XI for the cup final despite neither doing anything of note recently either. It always seems to be Martial playing for his place and no one else.

When in the last few months did Mata or Lingard whinge over playing time? And then proceed to do absolutely nothing when given playing time?

Not that serious???? Its a major issue that has been there for most of the season.

Its a huge issue and the reason we got knocked out of europe early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Frustrating game in that we couldn't get into gear at all. Happy for Brighton though. Some effort from that side to stay up. Knockaert will haunt a few United players nightmares

pjohnson wrote: »
    When in the last few months did Mata or Lingard whinge over playing time? And then proceed to do absolutely nothing when given playing time?

Irrelevant. Mata and Lingard not saying anything in the press doesn't give them a free pass to be anonymous when they play. Even Sanchez has been largely disappointing since he arrived. What exactly did Martial say anyway that was whinging?

Irrelevant. Mata and Lingard not saying anything in the press doesn't give them a free pass to be anonymous when they play. Even Sanchez has been largely disappointing since he arrived. What exactly did Martial say anyway that was whinging?

There's a difference between not doing anything spectacular.

To pretty much fcking up every ball played into you.

Going out of your way to find 3/4 players to jump into.

To taking on people when there's no hope in hell of making progress.

And completely not giving a fck about it when you do it and casually trotting back.

He's a whiney lazy useless cnt and shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.

Said it before but i wouldnt be a bit surprised to see de gea go to madrid next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

4 losses against teams in the bottom half. Just ridiculous really that we can't out class and beat these kinds teams.

To be fair to them though, Brighton's home form far outstrips their away form. 8th best home record in the league - its the away form that sees them look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really want it to work out for Martial but after today it's no mystery as to why he isn't being picked by Jose in recent games. With that said, I really hope Jose doesn't let him leave this summer. Have an awful feeling it could turn into a Salah/KDB situation and come back to haunt us. He is only 22 so he still has time to hit his peak but my god was he terrible today.

bangkok wrote: »
    Said it before but i wouldnt be a bit surprised to see de gea go to madrid next summer.

Navas just won player of the week in Europe. I mean, Why would they be looking?

Mamas just won player of the week in Europe. I mean, Why would they be looking?

Autocorrect is a bitch and it doesn't like saying DeGea

There's a difference between not doing anything spectacular.

To pretty much fcking up every ball played into you.

Going out of your way to find 3/4 players to jump into.

To taking on people when there's no hope in hell of making progress.

And completely not giving a fck about it when you do it and casually trotting back.

He's a whiney lazy useless cnt and shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.

Ok, lets ignore the goal he more than likely would have scored had Rashford played the obvious simple pass and compare Martial's performance tonight with Mata, who was the most senior attacker we had. What did Mata do so well tonight that Martial did so poorly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Our play summed up. Everyone runs central and gets in each others way making it easy to defend against. Plan B, get the ball wide and depend on the fullbacks to provide the width,hit aimless crosses into the box with zero accuracy.

• Advertisement

Autocorrect is a bitch and it doesn't like saying DeGea

I've corrected it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Abysmal. Another reminder that there's a good shot of deadwood at the club who need to be moved on.

Navas just won player of the week in Europe. I mean, Why would they be looking?

Not sure if you serious??

I've corrected it!!

My bad that makes more sense now that in think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

United's team of 1999-2000 hold the record of 18 point gap between them and second spot at the end of that season.

It's looking like tonights result will mean city breaking that record this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Apart from DDG,none of them ****ing care. I can't wait for this season to be over.This is as good as it'll be under Mourinho.

Not sure if you serious??

I am serious. Navas is a really good keeper. Top 10 on the world. Spending an absolute fortune on somebody who is similar calibre when they have other areas to sort in their team seems pointless when they have him.

Ok, lets ignore the goal he more than likely would have scored had Rashford played the obvious simple pass and compare Martial's performance tonight with Mata, who was the most senior attacker we had. What did Mata do so well tonight that Martial did so poorly?

As I said, it's not so much about what Mata did right or lingard or anyone else

It's how much martial did wrong.

Hopefully you appreciate the difference.

If not, this doesn't really have anywhere to go

I am serious. Navas is a really good keeper. Top 10 on the world. Spending an absolute fortune on somebody who is similar calibre when they have other areas to sort in their team seems pointless when they have him.

They need a new keeper and a striker. Keeper will be one of their main transfers this summer be it de gea courtois or whoever

And navas is no where near the same level as de gea.

They need a new keeper and a striker. Keeper will be one of their main transfers this summer be it de gea courtois or whoever

And navas is no where near the same level as de gea.

They don't need a keeper. They have a really good keeper

They don't need a keeper. They have a really good keeper

Ok they dont need one...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Jose pretty scathing in his post match interview. Something along the lines of ‘now you won’t ask why I don’t play A,B and C so much’. I’d be amazed if Martial was here come August.

rekluse wrote: »
    Jose pretty scathing in his post match interview. Something along the lines of ‘now you won’t ask why I don’t play A,B and C so much’. I’d be amazed if Martial was here come August.

Martial, darmian, blind will 100%imo be gone in summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its Martial who's making the running on leaving rather than getting kicked out isn't it? If he does go in whatever circumstances that'll be yet another big money signing that's gone boom (rather than BOOM!) under Woodwards corporate leadership.

Di Maria
    Mkhitaryan
    Lindelof
    Shaw
    Scheiderlin
    Depay
    Roho
    Darmien

plus Herrera and Matic are making cases for the debit column.

Bad luck, poor scouting or poor management by everyone post Fergie?

As I said, it's not so much about what Mata did right or lingard or anyone else

It's how much martial did wrong.

Hopefully you appreciate the difference.

If not, this doesn't really have anywhere to go

Why single out Martial then?

Rashford didn't do much apart from messing up our best chance of the game. Mata didn't do anything. Either did Lingard.

In fact as bad as Martial was, the very few glimpses of excitement/creativity/dribbling we saw from United tonight was pretty much all from him. It's difficult for him to excel when Rashford can't play a simple square ball or when Pogba and Fellaini spend much of the 1st half passing the ball to Brighton players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement