Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

Oddly enough Sevilla won there first game (maybe since they beat us) tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/992529087087501313

"PSG are losing ground in the race for Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak.@parisunited6 report that Oblak's agent Mika Mlakar & Jorge Mendes intend to work together to move Oblak to Manchester United & David de Gea to Real Madrid this summer."

Don't think so fellas.

In other gossip,it seems Luis Suarez has let the cat out of the bag about Griezmann joining Barcelona while giving an interview to Uruguayan media. We may go back for Gaitan so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Griezmann is a little cheating fúcker so he’ll fit in well at Barca. No interest in seeing him in a United jersey after last Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

To add to that:

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/992529350493863937?s=21

Plenty of people on Twitter think it’s to us, better than Fred in the middle and better than Tony V at RB, instant squad upgrade, for what it’s worth, the parisunited account were the first to break the Neymar and Mbappe to PSG transfers..

Think Fabinho is a Mendes client too but not entirely sure

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

GSPfan wrote: »
    Griezmann is a little cheating fúcker so he’ll fit in well at Barca. No interest in seeing him in a United jersey after last Summer.

Why not?

astradave wrote: »
    To add to that:

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/992529350493863937?s=21

Plenty of people on Twitter think it’s to us, better than Fred in the middle and better than Tony V at RB, instant squad upgrade, for what it’s worth, the parisunited account were the first to break the Neymar and Mbappe to PSG transfers..

Think Fabinho is a Mendes client too but not entirely sure

The parisunited account is worth a follow, as mentioned above, they broke both Neymar & Mbappe to PSG well before anyone else.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The parisunited account is worth a follow, as mentioned above, they broke both Neymar & Mbappe to PSG well before anyone else.

It is if you have a decent translator app on the phone or you are fluent in French, better off following the one above as they just translate all the tweets to English for ya..

It is if you have a decent translator app on the phone or you are fluent in French, better off following the one above as they just translate all the tweets to English for ya..

It's the one I followed, my French is non existent.

All these links popping up could be to do with Jose’s comments on a Brazilian tbf, since then we have been linked to Fred, Jorginho(born in Brazil) Sandro, Fabinho and I think we have been linked to Willian again this week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I don't see the Rashford love, he never looks up and unless he pushes the ball in front of him he does not regularly beat his man and if he ends up in a wide area he cannot cross, coupled with his useless free kicks last season and taking the god awful corners for the the last two seasons that never seem to beat the first man.

Martial is a far better and well rounded player, I would sell Rashford in a heartbeat to keep him, that chance to square the ball in the first half was just another example of his total lack of a brain.

Didn't get to watch the match live, but even knowing the result I still had to watch it afterwards to see just what the fúck is going on.

Well...I'm not quite sure what is going on. Each time I think this team have put in one of their worst performances of the season (that first half against Arsenal last week) they out-do themselves soon after with something like yesterday.

Martial and Rashford both flickered between disappointing, infuriating and anonymous at various times.

Rashford was quite selfish when he chose not to square the ball to Martial in the first half, which 95% surely would have put the team into a 1-0 lead. Apart from a good shot in the second half, I don't know what Rashford contributed.

Martial just 50% runs at defenders now, 50% cuts back onto his right, 100% of the time loses the ball. He was very lucky to not give away a penalty in the second half, after he got skinned alive by a Burnley attacker out near our right corner and then pursued him and chopped him down in the box.

Just some brainless stuff from those two at times, and wholly ineffective, unconvincing performances.

I'll stop there cause I could keep writing about most of the team how undeserving they are of their place in the 11, and some of them their place at the club. Just had to chime in about Martial and Rashford. They both needed at the very least a decent game, and they didn't even get close to that. Not a bit of wonder the team loses to Brighton when that is what we're relying on up front for the win.

Also, that's 16 points lost this season to newly promoted teams and/or teams in the relegation zone. Wanna challenge for the title? Start fixing that problem.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    At any point has it ever looked like a front line of Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lingard can do anything but struggle against teams?

It's not shocking. Jose brought in Lukaku, brought in Sanchez, and our results improved. They don't play, and it's back to the same old dross. There's a level of player that is slowly being phased out, thankfully. The more that happens, the less these games will crop up.

As far as I'm concerned, this does little but justify calls for a lot of these players to be shipped out...

It's unfortunately not as clear-cut as that IMO. Lukaku and Sanchez started against West Brom, Newcastle, Spurs and Sevilla. They were our 4 most recent defeats before Brighton. 3 of those loses were unacceptable, all 4 of them were utter garbage and terrible team performances. Lukaku scored United's only goal in those games, the late consolation against Sevilla.

Those two players are a level above most of the rest of our team, all in attitude, work-rate and ability. As new players, I'm happy with both of them, Lukaku especially, but they have been part of the dross at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's unfortunately not as clear-cut as that IMO. Lukaku and Sanchez started against West Brom, Newcastle, Spurs and Sevilla. They were our 4 most recent defeats before Brighton. 3 of those loses were unacceptable, all 4 of them were utter garbage and terrible team performances. Lukaku scored United's only goal in those games, the late consolation against Sevilla.

Those two players are a level above most of the rest of our team, all in attitude, work-rate and ability. As new players, I'm happy with both of them, Lukaku especially, but they have been part of the dross at times.

Right, fair points. To clarify, I'm not saying EVERY game Lukaku and Sanchez start, we play amazingly. They absolutely have contributed to poor games.

My point is this, though. The front line last night of Martial, Rashford, Mata....that's been a front line with three years of poor preformances now. Every time we try and rely on them, they struggle.

Since Jose has come in, by and large, his transfers have massively improved us, in terms of goals and chance creation. Yesterday's game though, creatively, Pogba was the only "Jose" player on the field. The squad called upon last night was a string of backup players whom some feel Jose has treated unfairly and whom, I presume, he was giving a chance to prove him wrong. And what did they do? They reverted right back to the same insipid LVG-era style of play; a lack of killer instinct, passing the ball between defenders when we were losing, no leaders on the pitch, etc.

Now, this isn't defending LVG and saying he wasn't an issue in and of himself. But last night felt like being back to an LVG game, and a massive part of that is that the players involved just can have poor attitudes coupled with poor decision making.

I get people like Martial cause he's young, or Mata because he has moments of magic, etc etc. But there's a proven track record that when these players are relied upon, even against midtable teams, they struggle badly. Truth is, the quality of player brought in pre-Jose has shown up to be really, really poor. Honestly, last night didn't make me as furious as other losses this season, simply cause I've long since accepted my distrust of many of those players.

Any time we ask Martial, or Rashford, or Mata to step up and drive our team to a win, they don't. Any time Darmian has gotten a chance, he's been useless. Fellaini, for as handy a sub he is when we need to cause problems late in a game, is toxic as a starter.

Whereas I'll blame tatics for some losses (Sevilla, for instance), I don't blame the manager at all for last night's result. He wasn't tactically telling the players to pass balls five yards to opposition, or give the ball away constantly. Last night was a team of squad players being given a chance to prove Jose's conceptions about them incorrect, prove they could work hard and earn their spot, and had passion, and instead they proved his mistrust of them absolutely.

There's very few, if any, of the players last night I'd be sad to see shipped out in the summer. Ultimately, I feel if Jose does get sacked next year, it would be on the back of not being brave enough with a squad culling this summer.

Actually, Jose summed it up nicer...

Mourinho: “We were not ready to prove that the second position is important for us. I’m disappointed. I’m not sure if everyone of my players is disappointed.” #mufc

Meanwhile, Gary Neville's response...

Gary Neville: “Mourinho doesn’t like some of those players, he’s had enough of them. They were absolutely terrible tonight. It’s not good enough. They’re wearing the Manchester United shirt and the standards have to be higher than that.”

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Why not?

He played us last Summer and used us to get a better deal for himself. His u-turn hindered us as we never filled that wide right position.
    He also will narrow our attack even more so as he plays very central during games. I don’t think he is what we need now. We need a player who plays as a right winger or wide right forward. Griezmann wants to play behind a striker. To top it off he has talked about not enjoying English weather, that worries me.

I feel if Jose does get sacked next year, it would be on the back of not being brave enough with a squad culling this summer.

Completely agree. I’ve actually been bizarrely happy with how awfully inconsistent we have been since the City game because Jose saying “we aren’t as bad as people think” really irked me. It was a telling sign we were going into a transfer window with the idea of adding a few players to the squad when in fact we need to lose a few and add about 7. This run of weird performances is not costing us anything but hopefully it is making the Summer transfer decisions easier to make.

Having a record breaking Man City team win the league and a Balon D’Or candidate inspired Liverpool win the Champions League should send a rocket up Ed Woodwards áss too. Our nearest neighbours and biggest rivals are sneering at us, what are we going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I’m sick of hearing the emergence of Mo Salah being used by Liverpool fans and the media as a stick to beat Jose. He’s the one who actually signed Salah (so spotted his potential), he’s the one who sent him on loan to Italy to develop him (which clearly worked), and Jose left Chelsea 8 months before Salah was sold by the club.

He played us last Summer and used us to get a better deal for himself. His u-turn hindered us as we never filled that wide right position.
    He also will narrow our attack even more so as he plays very central during games. I don’t think he is what we need now. We need a player who plays as a right winger or wide right forward. Griezmann wants to play behind a striker. To top it off he has talked about not enjoying English weather, that worries me.

I think thats incredibly harsh on Griezmann, saying he played us.

He signed the new contract, iirc, within 48 hours of Atletico getting their transfer ban. They bumped his pay because he did something incredibly rare in modern day football and stayed loyal to a team that had developed him. I do feel that if they hadnt got the ban, he'd have left and joined us. The fact his transfer clause remained in tact too showed me there was a good relationship between him and the club, who seem willing to facilitate a move this summer instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I don't think yesterday really meant anything. Not for the team anyway. For individual players it meant a lot more. After yesterday I wouldn't be suprised if Darmian, Fellaini and Martial all played themselves out of FA Cup Final reckoning. Shaw will be the sub FB based on yesterday, Fellaini shouldn't make the bench over McTominay (Herrera should get the start with Matic & Pogba), Martial will really struggle to make the bench ahead of Mata as the winger substitute (Lingard & Alexis starting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m sick of hearing the emergence of Mo Salah being used by Liverpool fans and the media as a stick to beat Jose. He’s the one who actually signed Salah (so spotted his potential), he’s the one who sent him on loan to Italy to develop him (which clearly worked), and Jose left Chelsea 8 months before Salah was sold by the club.

It’s 100% a subjectively bias pop at Jose. That’s all it is as it has no real merits....

Neither salah, lukaku or De Bryune were bought by a top team when leaving Chelsea . Why weren’t Liverpool snapping them up if they are so good at spotting a bargain!?!!! And the “maybe Chelsea didn’t want to sell them to a rival” point is also horsesh*t. Chelsea have never looked worried about selling a player to a rival. They sold Mata (multiple times player of the season) to United when united had just won the league.

The truth is that these players weren’t ready to be first team starters at Chelsea. They needed to join smaller clubs to grow. Even Salah at Liverpool has less pressure then any player at united. It’s not about it being a smaller club it’s about expectations.

United’s spending is that of a club looking to challange for top honors. Look at the pressure on lukaku even when he has scored a decent amount of goals. Salah doesn’t have that pressure at Liverpool liverpool.United’s expectations of mangers is far more ruthless. If klopp loses the CL final and Liverpool finish outside the top 4 do you think he will be sacked? I wouldn’t bet Jose would be afforded the luxury even if he was playing the same style of football.

The fact is that Jose is very similar to SAF in that whoever doesn’t support the team he manages hate and fear him. I’ve said it before, most Liverpool fans I know loved Moyes and LVG at united and it’s clear why. They were no real threat and didn’t look like they would take united anywhere.

Whatever you think of Jose’s football, I personally think he’s got the team on an upward curve. Not just that, he’s weeding out players who aren’t up to the challange. There are small differences between being a top player with great ability between being a good player with great ability.

I don’t understand why some people here defend players so much and are so quick to blame the manager in most scenarios. Jose has won everything and doesn’t need to prove himself to anybody. The players being defended have done nothing at united to warrant support over a proven manager. I suppose it’s a sign of the times and culture when defaulting to manager blaming is the accepted norm.

I see united playing poorly, passing poorly, not concentrating one game and doing the exact opposite in another game. It’s ridiculous to think that the main difference is what the manager is telling or coaching the players. I think it’s the application of the players. It’s one of the reason Jose likes Fellaini, he’s very limited but good at doing exactly what the manager tells him to do. Jose knows what mentality a player needs to have to win (Sevilla) even when you are playing poor and to push yourself for the team. He has really unsettled some of the United players coasting along, even the ones already resting themselves for the summer!!!

If you look at the squad Jose took over versus City, Chelsea or any other top squad, you can see how poor it was even though the fifa individual player stats suggested otherwise. I think it was prob as strong as Arsenal and in two seasons Jose has us looking like City’s most likely rivals next season.

Liverpool’s Champions league run should not have any bearing on how Jose is judged. The cup competition is perfect for a team like Liverpool (inconsistent but capable of blowing teams away). They have also had a fair amount of luck with important goals and penos not given at important times against city and Roma. But I think luck is important in champions league and it’s just annoying that they might win it , rather then it being a poor reflection on Jose.

I think thats incredibly harsh on Griezmann, saying he played us.

He signed the new contract, iirc, within 48 hours of Atletico getting their transfer ban. They bumped his pay because he did something incredibly rare in modern day football and stayed loyal to a team that had developed him. I do feel that if they hadnt got the ban, he'd have left and joined us. The fact his transfer clause remained in tact too showed me there was a good relationship between him and the club, who seem willing to facilitate a move this summer instead.

They already had the ban. It was the appeal that got rejected so that ruins that theory. The fact his transfer clause remained in tact showed how he used the threat of going to United to put a gun to their head and give him a better deal with no real consequences.
    It’s nice you see it the way you do but I don’t have any love for the guy. He’s a blatant cheat on the pitch too. Rolls around pretending he is injured when he isn’t touched and trying to get players booked. Great player, but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Just read Mourinho's comments on the stand in players yesterday. I like Jose but he's talking rubbish.

Brighton asked the question could we score and we were dreadful, exactly like we were against Huddersfield away this season and Lukaku started that too. I understand how frustrating it is in the modern game to break down teams who play like a wall but don't go out and blame the players when your tactics with a full strength team isn't enough in similar games.

Our players morale is probably at rock bottom yet again to no surprise. Do your homework Jose.

I support Jose 100%. He’s got us back on an upward trajectory after the Moyes/Van Gaal debacles. If some players aren’t up for that (e.g. Luke Shaw or Anthony Martial), then ship them out.

We have a decent chance of being able to look back at Jose’s first two seasons and see three trophies, progress to 2nd place, and the layering in of some excellent signings. Getting Sanchez mid-season may not have been great in terms of this season but will reap rewards next season I believe when he is bedded in and can hit the ground running.

This summer is big; we need to raid Spurs for a centre half, solve the fullback issue, and add a third midfielder to complement Matic and Pogba. But I believe Jose is the man to do that.

Thought Shaw was very good when he came on last night and was probably the best player on the park for United from when he came on, which wasn’t hard anyways. He seemed to be the only one that was actually fighting out there to stay. dunno how to feel about that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Didn't post last night, I was just too disappointed to be honest.

What have we become? Playing for United should be an honour. Most of these players couldn't give a ****.

Martial is gone, doesn't care or try

Darmian gone

Blind gone

Fellaini hopefully gone

Mata, I know he is loved in this thread but what has he actually done this season? Move him on

Last few games, Chong has to play down the right. I don't know if Gomes is injured but I'd be starting him or playing him from the bench. These lads might show a bit of effort and a bit of desire to wear the United shirt.

Interesting summer ahead. Need Alderweireld and a right back for starters as the main priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Matic and Feillaini in midfield - can’t think of a worse partnership in the league.

I would really hope that we sign a right back, a left back, a centre half, and at least 2 central midfielders.

That is assuming we lose Blind, Darmian, Jones (possibly), Fellaini, Carrick.

If we get a good offer for Martial then he is gone. I fully expect Gareth Bale to be in the news again as Zidane is going to be there again next year and Bale is not a first teamer for him. As much as Jose says he isn’t after attackers I believe much like Sanchez we will go for a top drawer player if available for that right side attack position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thought Shaw was very good when he came on last night and was probably the best player on the park for United from when he came on, which wasn’t hard anyways. He seemed to be the only one that was actually fighting out there to stay. dunno how to feel about that tbh.

Shaw is dead man walking unfortunately.

The most galling thing is that any time he has been given a shot he has acquitted himself well and looked like he cared about impressing the manager.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but based on what I've seen on field Shaw being frozen out by Jose is a massive injustice. I think he will go on to a mid level team after us before a big money move to one of the top 6.

Martial is a super talent, that much is clear but his on field efforts have been sub par alot of the time though I do agree he wasn't the worst last night.

I will back the manager for the time built but seeing those two players leave will stick in my craw as I 100% believe they will go somewhere else and shine, Martial especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

My point is this, though. The front line last night of Martial, Rashford, Mata....that's been a front line with three years of poor preformances now. Every time we try and rely on them, they struggle.

Martial has only been at the club for 3 years. His first year when he was arguably our best outfield player was hardly a year of poor performances. Rashford has only been in the 1st team for 2 years. Mata though, who seems to get away with murder in this side, has been around for 4 and a half now.
    Since Jose has come in, by and large, his transfers have massively improved us, in terms of goals and chance creation. Yesterday's game though, creatively, Pogba was the only "Jose" player on the field. The squad called upon last night was a string of backup players whom some feel Jose has treated unfairly and whom, I presume, he was giving a chance to prove him wrong. And what did they do? They reverted right back to the same insipid LVG-era style of play; a lack of killer instinct, passing the ball between defenders when we were losing, no leaders on the pitch, etc.

Mourinho has been in for pretty much the same length of time as LVG. The team's performances are more of a reflection on him then they are on the man that left the club almost 2 years ago.
    I get people like Martial cause he's young, or Mata because he has moments of magic, etc etc. But there's a proven track record that when these players are relied upon, even against midtable teams, they struggle badly. Truth is, the quality of player brought in pre-Jose has shown up to be really, really poor. Honestly, last night didn't make me as furious as other losses this season, simply cause I've long since accepted my distrust of many of those players.

Any time we ask Martial, or Rashford, or Mata to step up and drive our team to a win, they don't. Any time Darmian has gotten a chance, he's been useless. Fellaini, for as handy a sub he is when we need to cause problems late in a game, is toxic as a starter.

Martial scored the winner against Tottenham late last year. He also scored in wins against Watford, Newcastle in the following weeks. He played upfront and scored in Lukaku's absense in the win against Everton at the start of the year and was dropped for the very next game. He started and scored in the following game in the win against Stoke, then started and scored the winner in the next game against Burnley. He didn't make the squad at all for the next game at Yeovil then was then started on the right to accommodate Sanchez in the defeat to Spurs. He was then dropped for the next game at Huddersfield.

Rashford started on the left and scored our 2 goals in the win against Liverpool recently. He was then started on the right to accomodate Sanchez in the sh*tshow against Sevilla at Old Trafford. He was dropped for the next game against Brighton.

Funnily enough, the most impressive and consistent displays United have put in all season were back in August/September when Martial and Rashford sharing the left side and regularly contributing with goals/assists and seemingly getting the best out of each other. No surprise they're both struggling after Mourinho signed a player we didn't need to play on the left instead of them. I've yet to see performances as good as our early season ones with Sanchez in the side.
    There's very few, if any, of the players last night I'd be sad to see shipped out in the summer. Ultimately, I feel if Jose does get sacked next year, it would be on the back of not being brave enough with a squad culling this summer.

If he's sacked next year it will probably be because he's had 3 years and the hundreds of millions of pounds to build a quality side and develop a system and style of play which allows his payers to express themselves and realise their potential and talent. It's not all about selling players when they have a few bad performances and buying in new ones for big money. Klopp has reached a Champions League final with a midfield featuring Jordan Henderson and James Milner. A bit of coaching and management can go a long way.

For people quoting “hundreds of millions” that Jose has had to spend, Why should that mean we should expect united to topple city who have consistangjy spent more then united for over a decade and have given pep 150million more the Jose ?

Oh wait isn’t it the “well we should at least be getting more attractive football” argument?! Well I don’t see any other team in England , pretty football or not, looking more likely to mount a decent challange to city. But not just that, it makes sense to me that if united are spending up to 30% less then their target rivals that we might have to try and beat them a different way. As in not the Kevin Keegan Klopp way.

As much as Jose says he isn’t after attackers I believe much like Sanchez we will go for a top drawer player if available for that right side attack position.

I think if Martial stays, we won't move for an attacker. I think Jose's point is we don't need another attacker currently, but that will change if one leaves. Martial out and a proper RW in leaves us significantly stronger over all too, in the immediate short term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

At what point should a club say it's better to change the manager rather than change half the squad - they can't all be poor to terrible. Fergie hardly did any day to day coaching in the latter years, that was left to Meulensteen, Kidd, Steele etc. Does Mourinho delegate much or at all?

At what point should a club say it's better to change the manager rather than change half the squad - they can't all be poor to terrible. Fergie hardly did any day to day coaching in the latter years, that was left to Meulensteen, Kidd, Steele etc. Does Mourinho delegate much or at all?

Probably if there is clear signs that there is no progress being made which just isn’t the case here.

Hyperbolic whining after a disappointing defeat/performance should not override reflection on the full season and benchmarking that over the clubs performances/position in recent previous seasons.

In my view, the players are the problem, not the coach. It would be foolish to ditch Jose. Who’d replace him, media darling and failed manager Mauricio Pochettino? If people want champagne football at the expense of success, why don’t we dig up Keegan and get Faustino Asprilla out of retirement?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I suppose at the point where the team starts sliding down the table and not winning cups and making cup finals???????

In my view, the players are the problem, not the coach. It would be foolish to ditch Jose. Who’d replace him, media darling and failed manager Mauricio Pochettino? If people want champagne football at the expense of success, why don’t we dig up Keegan and get Faustino Asprilla out of retirement?!

If we want to win the league with a Liverpool manager then we should be talking about Brendan Rogers , not Klopp. Not one Liverpool manager has come closer in over 3 decades!!! But Klopps exciting football overrides the memory of their capitulation in many games. Including the 2 goals they conceded in last few mins against Roma. I can see a Klopp team doing a Keegan’s Newcastle if they ever mount a decent league challange.

With regards to Pochettino, that’s simply a Hail Mary grass is always greener throw out opinion. There’s no merit to it because he won’t be afforded the time required to mould the team and he has no proven record of success which will
    Be thrown at him during his rebuilding period. It’s funny how people advocating Poch don’t see how this will happen when many of them didn’t and don’t give a manager with an irrefutably proven track record, time to do the same even when he’s been the best since SAF left...

For anybody interested the u18s are playing their final soon vs Chelsea, coverage just started on MUTV

Gomes and Chong both starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Don’t contribute much here, United fan for 50 years, and unfortunately the Football that Liverpool, City and Spurs play is so much more enjoyable than the ****e we are churning out under Mourinho, that a whole generation of fans will be lost.
    I can’t stand the man, his ability to turn good players into bad and then blame them, his failed judgement on Salah, De Bruyne, even Lukaku and god knows how many of the current squad who he will dump because they don’t play to his outdated philosophy. If winning the odd FA Cup and finishing in the top 3 playing dull unattractive football then Mourinho.
    I yearn for the entertaining teams of Busby, Docherty, Atkinson and Fergie. Imagine if we had Klopp or Pep as our manager, the buzz and excitement would be unreal but instead we have this dinosaur.

If he's sacked next year it will probably be because he's had 3 years and the hundreds of millions of pounds to build a quality side and develop a system and style of play which allows his payers to express themselves and realise their potential and talent. It's not all about selling players when they have a few bad performances and buying in new ones for big money. Klopp has reached a Champions League final with a midfield featuring Jordan Henderson and James Milner. A bit of coaching and management can go a long way.

We could have done with James Milner in plenty of games this year. While not a "flash" player he is consistent and trustworthy. He's always been a hard worker aswell. We could have badly done with a reliable hard working consistent midfielder during this season while Herrera was distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

United have CL secured, there really is nothing left to play for in the league, they throw out a mish mash team to give a few players a game and it’s a disaster to drop any points.
    Other teams that can still drop out of top 4 seem to get off lightly when they pick up poor results in the league...

• Advertisement

Link to the u18s match

https://youtu.be/wcc5MqJpbrk

1-0 down already

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Link to the u18s match

https://youtu.be/wcc5MqJpbrk

DcbYLvwX0AAopWw?format=jpg

For anyone who missed the start theres the lineups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

pjohnson wrote: »
    DcbYLvwX0AAopWw?format=jpg

For anyone who missed the start theres the lineups

Just googled Josh McEachran after seeing that lineup. Remember he was meant to be the next big thing? He’s 25 now :eek:

Greenwood looks like an exciting player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

patmac wrote: »
    Don’t contribute much here, United fan for 50 years, and unfortunately the Football that Liverpool, City and Spurs play is so much more enjoyable than the ****e we are churning out under Mourinho, that a whole generation of fans will be lost.
    I can’t stand the man, his ability to turn good players into bad and then blame them, his failed judgement on Salah, De Bruyne, even Lukaku and god knows how many of the current squad who he will dump because they don’t play to his outdated philosophy. If winning the odd FA Cup and finishing in the top 3 playing dull unattractive football then Mourinho.
    I yearn for the entertaining teams of Busby, Docherty, Atkinson and Fergie. Imagine if we had Klopp or Pep as our manager, the buzz and excitement would be unreal but instead we have this dinosaur.

Hi pat while I get where your coming from I do feel that most of your points apart from the entertaining football is very inaccurate.

Firstly as it has been argued to the death in here but the said 3 players were not misjudgements by Jose he never said kdb was not going to make it indeed when he gave a press conference after he left he said the reason kdb left was because he wanted to play first team football and didn't want to fight for his place?

Jose sent lukaku out on loan to improve him as a player this is not something alien in football is it? It happens ever year at major clubs and again lukaku came back from Everton but Jose could not guarantee him first team football he already had costa playing that position? Should lukaku of been put straight into the first team instead if costa who was one of the best strikers in the league at that stage.

And salah while I agree that Jose has a bit more responsibility for him he gave him 30 off games and he wasn't working out he sent him back on loan to Italy and Chelsea sold him 8 months after Jose left the club?????

While you can look at the 3 players now and blame Jose but Chelsea won the premier league in the period when Jose was making judgement on these 3 players so he did what was best for the success of the team by picking his best players and if the fringe players didn't like it then he allowed them to leave?

It's funny it's exactly what he has done this season with Pereira but because periera isnt ripping up the league in spain at moment no one cares too much and are saying it's Pereira fault for not fighting for his position

Also on your point if the club only wants to win the fa cup the odd time and finish in the top 3??? Why say this and ignore the fact that Jose has constantly won more then any of the managers that could replace him? His history shows that he can win league's and European cups he knows how to do it.

I do agree with you about entertaining football we are far off where we want to be in styles and while I support Jose I do believe that of the team ain't first or at least fighting for the league in final weeks of season next year the club will make a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

pjohnson wrote: »
    We could have done with James Milner in plenty of games this year. While not a "flash" player he is consistent and trustworthy. He's always been a hard worker aswell. We could have badly done with a reliable hard working consistent midfielder during this season while Herrera was distracted.

I agree. But Milner is far from a top European player. He spent much of the last 2 seasons at left back and slots seamlessly into midfield when needed. Henderson has been a key player for them, and Can was played his part in a very effective side up until his injury. Oxlade-Chamberlain only joined Liverpool in January and became a key part of their team - playing as good as he ever did at Arsenal up until his injury. Coutinho left in the same month and Liverpool arguably improved.

When players come and go into a team like that and it still maintains a high level of performance with almost everyone consistently in form then it's a clear sign of a good coach who has found a system that works for everyone. Meanwhile we're talking about potentially selling the best young player in our squad and one of the best young talents in Europe after a performance in which he was no worse than some of the senior players that are making more money. Many here still bring up the possibility of signing Bale and Neymar etc. every now and then. Jesus Christ.

We have plenty of talent in our squad. We just need to use it better. That starts with the manager. Throwing a couple of lads in their early 20s the odd start here and there, more out of necessity than design, after putting them out in the cold and expecting top class, cohesive, match winning displays in front of a shockingly poor Pogba and Fellaini and alongside a completely anonymous Mata is a bit unfair and unrealistic.

• Advertisement

I agree. But Milner is far from a top European player. He spent much of the last 2 seasons at left back and slots seamlessly into midfield when needed. Henderson has been a key player for them, and Can was played his part in a very effective side up until his injury. Oxlade-Chamberlain only joined Liverpool in January and became a key part of their team - playing as good as he ever did at Arsenal up until his injury. Coutinho left in the same month and Liverpool arguably improved.

When players come and go into a team like that and it still maintains a high level of performance with almost everyone consistently in form then it's a clear sign of a good coach who has found a system that works for everyone. Meanwhile we're talking about potentially selling the best young player in our squad and one of the best young talents in Europe after a performance in which he was no worse than some of the senior players that are making more money. Many here still bring up the possibility of signing Bale and Neymar etc. every now and then. Jesus Christ.

We have plenty of talent in our squad. We just need to use it better. That starts with the manager. Throwing a couple of lads in their early 20s the odd start here and there, more out of necessity than design, after putting them out in the cold and expecting top class, cohesive, match winning displays in front of a shockingly poor Pogba and Fellaini and alongside a completely anonymous Mata is a bit unfair and unrealistic.

I think Milner has only played RB a few times this year dont think he spent any time at LB thats been Moreno and Robertson. He's been only appearing in midfield afaik. And Chamberlain joined the final day of the Summer Transfer Window not January. So your credit in that part seems misplaced.

I'll pop back for the rest after dinner.

Wooohoo for home deliveries!!!

This post is a bit all over the place your comparing players and positions all over the place.

Martial and Rashford play LW and striker, they have had starts all season especially before xmas and not done much ever, Sanchez has shown way more after a poor start which you would expect given his pedigree.

Any talk of Bale has been as a right wing option an area of the squad we need to improve on as anyone who has played there this season hasnt done much, I dont care who we sign as long as we sign someone for there.

You might think we have plenty of talent in the squad but it still is behind cities so if we want to catch them we will need to improve the level of the squad its that simple.

You talk about What Klopp has done but he has still made signings for next year already and did in January every team will be looking to improve the ability of their squads no matter what style they play to try and catch city

Throwing a couple of lads in their early 20s the odd start here and there, more out of necessity than design, after putting them out in the cold and expecting top class, cohesive, match winning displays in front of a shockingly poor Pogba and Fellaini and alongside a completely anonymous Mata is a bit unfair and unrealistic.

I completely agree and it drives me insane when a squad player gets a chance to play but it’s a game where half the team is chopped and changed.

Bringing in Rashford on the left for the Liverpool game in a fired up full strength team was a great decision.
    Playing Rashford on the right in the next game and ultimately dropping him back to the bench was a terrible decision.

But don’t get me wrong, the players are as much to blame for being so hot and cold.

Can people please stop using Mo Salah to try and beat Jose up?

- Jose signed the guy, so was arguably the first one to identify Salah’s potential
    - Rather than selling him, Jose sent him to Italy on loan to develop, which he did, in spades.
    - Jose Mourinho’s Mo Salah-less Chelsea won the Premier League
    - Mo Salah was sold by Chelsea 8 months AFTER Jose Mourinho had left the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Milner has not played a minute as a full back this season - Moreno and Roberston are the only two who played there at LB. Ox_Cham was bought in the summer but only really started getting a regular start once Coutinho was gone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement