Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

GSPfan wrote: »
    I am hesitant to say this as I don’t want to cause a debate on this but there was one point of the game that Pogba got the ball and was running through midfield and decided he needed to change direction by doing this skipping inside of the heel type movement that shifts the ball to the right and instantly lost the ball.

I was frustrated and so was he but that is the type of decision players make and no matter how boring Jose’s tactics it cannot ever be his fault that a player decides to do a trick with no pressure around him and looses the ball.

Some of my posts take shots at Jose, some at players, but there is an argument that both need to get a hold of themselves this Summer if they are still at the club next season and cop on.

(I think you recently expressed disinterest in reading long posts, but I'm going to write this for anyone who cares to read it...)

That reminds me of another instance with Pogba and poor decision making in the Brighton game. Not just 'poor', but also quite strange. It ended with some kind of exchange and wave of arms between Pogba and Mata, and a waste of a rare promising move.

It happened at 38:30 in the first half, for anyone who knows where to search for football highlights. I'd recommend any of you to take a look at it and try to explain to me what is the rationale behind it. After a throw-in on the left, Pogba receives the ball in a DM position, makes an effective turn of a Brighton player and advances a few yards with time to look up and pick a pass.

Meanwhile out on the right, Mata is in space in an advanced position with Darmian bursting forward for an overlap. A nice 2v1 developing out there, with Martial and Rashford also looking to come into play near Pogba centrally. Pogba instead turns and looks back to his left and plods it to Ashley Young who isn't even the safe option as he has a Brighton player closing him down.

It was just a strange sequence of passing and decision making. After doing the hard work of turning the player and advancing the ball and sparking a potential attack, Pogba then retreated the play and ignored good forward options he clearly saw.

It was a decision akin to trying to see out a narrow lead in the final minutes of a closely-fought game, rather than pursuing a badly needed goal at 0-0 against Brighton.

As I said, Pogba and Mata clearly had an exchange after it, and it wasn't the only such occurrence in the first half between our players. Pogba made some poor decisions, but the top prize goes to Rashford for not squaring the ball to Martial in the first half.

Rashford clearly saw Martial. What was going through his mind when he decided 'nah...fúck that/him'? What was going through Martial's mind when not only did he get ignored for the pass, but received a few harsh words from Rashford for not rescuing him when he ran into trouble after his brainless move?

Just some examples of poor decision making and our players being on nowhere near the same page as each other at times. Speaking of Rashford, he potentially cost us more points with a similar move against Leicester at Christmas. 1-2 to United at 80 minutes and Rashford tries to score from an impossible position while Lukaku is in space to possibly strike and make it 1-3. He chose poorly and 10 minutes later, Leicester equalised.

Some of these younger players, for all the natural talent and potential they have, really need to improve on their end product and/or decision making. Does Pogba not trust those players to make the pass? Is Rashford more concerned with getting himself on the score-sheet than the team?

Issues which need to be sorted out. As GSP said, they can't be controlled in real-time by Jose during a match. Hopefully he can coach it out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

@Stu Redman

You are right I generally skip the long posts but only after I’ve read a bit to get the jist of what is going on. I read yours though. :)

I was actually going to follow up with a comment on Rashford because I used Pogba as an example which might be a bit inflammatory. I have professed my love for Rashford here but he does some random stupid things when it seems like the right option is infinitely easier. We seem to have a team of players who complicate the simple things and shy away from doing the risky things.

It is definitely Jose’s job to coach them not to do stupid stuff but it does feel like the players natural instincts are prevailing and causing their own downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Some really heartfelt words from Anderson here.

https://instagram.com/p/BiaRDp2HO1u/?utm_source=ig_embed

There's so many messages on social media from clubs,players management and those involved in the game. It shows the measure of the man that he's held in such regard all over the world.

There always seemed to be a genuine affection between both while Anderson was at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

For players like pogba it's not jose job to coach them simple th8ngs any footballer should know.

Look at Scott mctominay maybe he is not blessed with the technical skill of pogba but in his games for us I rarely remember him giving the ball away stupidly yes he may of cut passes short but you could always sense what he was doing that's called having a footballing brain.

Stuff like what pogba gets wrong and that Rashford moment in the game yesterday common sense says square it for the player in front of the goal Jose should not have to coach that.

jayo26 wrote: »
    For players like pogba it's not jose job to coach them simple th8ngs any footballer should know.

With all due respect that is exactly what his job is. Whether or not Pogba ever learns it is another thing but it is Jose’s (including his coaching staffs) job to coach his players.

There’s a pair of them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

With all due respect that is exactly what his job is. Whether or not Pogba ever learns it is another thing but it is Jose’s (including his coaching staffs) job to coach his players.

Well if Pogba really needs to be reminded/coached daily on how to pass to a teammate/retain possession he really is a hopleless case.

If time has to be spent reminding players of the absolute basic schoolboy tasks then is it any wonder Jose hasn't got any kind off set attacking style or functioning offensive set pieces. I doubt Pep/Klopp/Pochettino/Dyche all spend time in training covering the absolute basics of the game.

If it was Danny Furlong or Alex Byrne doing that for Galway United the manager would be roaring at them. Its just so basic.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well if Pogba really needs to be reminded/coached daily on how to pass to a teammate/retain possession he really is a hopleless case.

If time has to be spent reminding players of the absolute basic schoolboy tasks then is it any wonder Jose hasn't got any kind off set attacking style or functioning offensive set pieces. I doubt Pep/Klopp/Pochettino/Dyche all spend time in training covering the absolute basics of the game.

That’s why I’m hoping for a cull this Summer. The “shape them up” stage has passed for most of them, it’s now time to “ship them out”. It’s Jose’s job to coach them but if they are incapable of performing to his standards it is also his job to replace them.

No way if a player can't square a ball to his team mate he shouldn't be at the club never mind wasting time to show him how to do it.

These are players that have been more then less had professional coaching since 8 years of age if Radford hasn't learned basic game management skills in 12 years No way Is any first team coach going to waste time doing it.

Same with pogba he is experienced international football that's ment to be one of the best in the world if he can't manage himself to not do stupid skills and give the ball away then how can Jose train that.

The coaches teams jobs are to use the hair goals a footballer has and model them onto his style yes for players passing and tempo and making thw runs into spaces the manager wants them and tactics but surely not for common sense things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anything other than a Liverpool victory more or less shows up second place.
    I’ll be tuning in and then watching El Classico afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    Anything other than a Liverpool victory more or less shows up second place.
    I’ll be tuning in and then watching El Classico afterwards.

So we're on 77

Spurs can equal us if they win both games and we lose both games. Presumably such results would also cost us our superior goal difference.

Pool can hit 78 with two wins.

It would be an incredible bottle job to lose second from here tbh....

Lord TSC wrote: »

Seen worse happen.....

So we're on 77

Spurs can equal us if they win both games and we lose both games. Presumably such results would also cost us our superior goal difference.

Pool can hit 78 with two wins.

While I expect us to secure second I don’t trust this current Man Utd to see it through. I’ve seen bigger collapses than not winning your last two games.

Liverpool not winning today would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If the players produce another 2 performances as lethargic and limp as the last game then we could well lose both of our last matches.

Here's hoping for a Chelsea win next.

Not Utd related but how in the hell could this happen and not be picked up?

https://twitter.com/scottish_mags/status/993102452982534144?s=21

• Advertisement

What I saw was that the white line is actually some advertising line, and the shadow is simply obscuring where the touchline is.

Or something.....

EDIT: Yeah, watched again in fullscreen. The top of the ad boards look like a line but aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What I saw was that the white line is actually some advertising line, and the shadow is simply obscuring where the touchline is.

Or something.....

EDIT: Yeah, watched again in fullscreen. The top of the ad boards look like a line but aren't.

All you have to do is look at the size of the cuts of grass, the shadow defo isn’t the line.. couldn’t be.. could it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chelsea taking 8 minutes to decide to play a bit of football.

I would absolutely lose my **** with laughter if Liverpool managed to drop to 5th on the last day of the season and lose to Real. Oh god it would be hillarious. I doubt I’d ever stop laughing. Please god let it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I would absolutely lose my **** with laughter if Liverpool managed to drop to 5th on the last day of the season and lose to Real. Oh god it would be hillarious. I doubt I’d ever stop laughing. Please god let it happen.

If that happens jayo will eat another hat.

I was of the same but I genuinely couldn't give a **** today maybe the kind words have softened me but I've no desire to wish bad on any of them today.

I was of the same but I genuinely couldn't give a **** today maybe the kind words have softened me but I've no desire to wish bad on any of them today.

Tomorrow then?

Tomorrow then?

Yeah hopefully it's not a permanent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ourselves, Liverpool and Spurs have all downed tools in the league seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Lovely result that!!!

So looking at the table there, we need 1 point from our last 2 games, Spurs can finish on 77 which is what we have and pool can finish on 75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ourselves, Liverpool and Spurs have all downed tools in the league seemingly.

Spurs need to be careful..... Not guaranteed qualification yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Lovely result that!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaW52JjtKMGZ9W9SDoISyEiFql0pq5weHe12jUXzNxd57VAW4CIg

• Advertisement

Spurs need to be careful..... Not guaranteed qualification yet.

They'll be fine. Leicester have totally checked out, they'll probably show up to Wembley in beach gear.

So Liverpool will finish on less points than last season.
    Utd are already 8 points better off than last season.

Klopp nominated for premier league manager of the year. Jose isn’t.

Class from Wenger. His first words in his farewell speech on the pitch are about Ferguson.

Haha arsenal ripping off United songs now I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Class from Wenger. His first words in his farewell speech on the pitch are about Ferguson.

Bein sports having a pop of Henry for not being there!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Bein sports having a pop of Henry for not being there!

He Is there...... in the sky box.

Edit: just realised he was at eitihad oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He Is there...... in the sky box.

I think they mean on pitch with the other legends cuz peter Reid said “and he could have been out there if he wanted”

Utd are already 8 points better off than last season.

Klopp nominated for premier league manager of the year. Jose isn’t.

but PASHUN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice earlier in the week Eamon Dunphy saying he was a Liverpool fan? Is this news to anyone else? I thought this whole time he was a bit of a bitter United fan. It’s kind of made me rethink all his nonsense over the years. It makes sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Did anyone notice earlier in the week Eamon Dunphy saying he was a Liverpool fan? Is this news to anyone else? I thought this whole time he was a bit of a bitter United fan. It’s kind of made me rethink all his nonsense over the years. It makes sense now.

Was he possibly referring to a fan of how they're now rather than an actual fan fan.

limnam wrote: »
    Was he possibly referring to a fan of how they're now rather than an actual fan fan.

No he defo said it. I think his exact words were “As someone who is a Liverpool fan and loves good football.” He then followed that up with a joke about wearing his jersey down to the shops in the morning. This was just after the Roma game. I rewound it to make sure he didn’t say “a fan of Liverpool” instead of “Liverpool fan”.

Edited as I found the clip on twitter. Just search for dunphy liverpool on twitter.

Ronaldo kinda turned his ankle while scoring and doesn't look comfortable.

I've never been so worried about the welfare of another team's player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ronaldo kinda turned his ankle while scoring and doesn't look comfortable.

I've never been so worried about the welfare of another team's player.

They should take him off as a precaution

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    They should take him off as a precaution

He's off. Scored his 400th Madrid goal tonight.

• Advertisement

I'd love a fit Bale in our squad...

I'd love a fit Bale in our squad...

Actually thought he was anonymous up until the goal. What a goal though.

The Express claim Jose has approved Martial moving to Juventus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Theres another clip and it shows he was actually on the line

I stopped reading at “the express”

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement