Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt. 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    I stopped reading at “the express”

Gonna be a lot of similar rumours until all transfers are done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The Express claim Jose has approved Martial moving to Juventus.

Dybala going United's way as part of it and I'm sold :)

Didn't see this yesterday. So not all City fans are Bitter Bertie's. Fair play.

https://twitter.com/Sammy_Goal/status/993134880358895617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

orig.gif

https://twitter.com/Malachians/status/993570230109548544

"Things aren’t good for Martial, fully expect him to leave. There is no deal yet for Milinkovic-Savic but talks have been ongoing for months"

Just caught up on the Fergie thread. You can't spell 'smackdown' without 'mac'.

Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://twitter.com/Malachians/status/993570230109548544

"Things aren’t good for Martial, fully expect him to leave. There is no deal yet for Milinkovic-Savic but talks have been ongoing for months"

Id be absolutely gutted if he left. The guy has such great talent and could be a world class player down the line. I have everything crossed that he's going no where.

Milinkovic is such a great talent but im unsure where he would fit in our CM with Pogba and Matic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’d rather a mediocre but hard working Lingard than a disinterested Martial in my team. He’ll probably be class somewhere else but it’s not happening at United anymore for whatever reason so I’ve no issue with him making way for another new name. I’d love for him to turn it around but can’t see it.

Headshot wrote: »

Milinkovic is such a great talent but im unsure where he would fit in our CM with Pogba and Matic.

He would basically play where ander plays in the team he would contribute going forward but also defensively with matic so pogba can go do whatever it is that he likes to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He would also provide a similar option to Fellaini as a direct option I dont know his actual aerial proficiency but he is a big lad. 6'4" I think? Vanja was 6'6".

pjohnson wrote: »
    He would also provide a similar option to Fellaini as a direct option I dont know his actual aerial proficiency but he is a big lad. 6'4" I think? Vanja was 6'6".

Ahh stop do not compare him to fellaini the only thing he has in common with fellaini is his height the guy is gifted from what I've seen of him this year.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ahh stop do not compare him to fellaini the only thing he has in common with fellaini is his height the guy is gifted from what I've seen of him this year.

Obviously. I just meant he would also fulfil the target man from deep. Altho we are already a team of giants but we fail to utilise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd be more than happy for martial to stay if he was to sign a new contract with no big pay increase knowing that he needs to up his performances to gain a spot in the first team. Unfortunately I just can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Delighted we never signed ozil after we were linked with him. Arsenal players not happy with his attitude and he is allowed to pick and choose which games he plays in apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Delighted we never signed ozil after we were linked with him. Arsenal players not happy with his attitude and he is allowed to pick and choose which games he plays in apparently

According to the S*n, with the express and Star quoting them, who have no quotes to back it up that the players are not happy and use Martin Keown as the centre of their article.

With regards to him picking and choosing games to play, that has been bandied around for years, it’s mainly to do with him getting “injuries” at certain times throughout seasons and yeah it does look suspicious looking from the outside in, but the club medical staff and doctors would all have to be in on it.

I’m more glad we didn’t go for him now due to the congestion in the middle of the pitch, add him in there and it gets worse again, we need someone for the right that will play outside..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

According to the S*n, with the express and Star quoting them, who have no quotes to back it up that the players are not happy and use Martin Keown as the centre of their article.

With regards to him picking and choosing games to play, that has been bandied around for years, it’s mainly to do with him getting “injuries” at certain times throughout seasons and yeah it does look suspicious looking from the outside in, but the club medical staff and doctors would all have to be in on it.

I’m more glad we didn’t go for him now due to the congestion in the middle of the pitch, add him in there and it gets worse again, we need someone for the right that will play outside..

Agh the sun... about as reliable as your wan IndyKalia....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

brinty wrote: »
    Agh the sun... about as reliable as your wan IndyKalia....

tenor.gif?itemid=4100026

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I’d rather a mediocre but hard working Lingard than a disinterested Martial in my team. He’ll probably be class somewhere else but it’s not happening at United anymore for whatever reason so I’ve no issue with him making way for another new name. I’d love for him to turn it around but can’t see it.

Surely the reason is pretty obvious?

Missed the game as I was at wedding so me and the United lads checking scores at smoke intervals. While I wasn't surprised at the two steps back that riddles this team, still a disgraceful result.

OK Martin Keown. You may have missed it, since it was quoted everywhere, but beside Keown, talking absolute sense was Jermaine Jenas explaining what the problem is. As most people have known for years at this stage.

Ozil is a 10. You want a midfielder who can track and defend, you signed the wrong player. You want a creative, quality player, then you have the right player.

I'm only glad we didn't sign Ozil because OT is a graveyard for 10's and Ozil would be just dirt, nevermind under this manager and regime.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Surely the reason is pretty obvious?

Missed the game as I was at wedding so me and the United lads checking scores at smoke intervals. While I wasn't surprised at the two steps back that riddles this team, still a disgraceful result.

I’m guessing it’s all Mourinho’s fault for you? If he can’t get on board with what the manager wants then good luck as far as I’m concerned.

OK Martin Keown. You may have missed it, since it was quoted everywhere, but beside Keown, talking absolute sense was Jermaine Jenas explaining what the problem is. As most people have known for years at this stage.

Ozil is a 10. You want a midfielder who can track and defend, you signed the wrong player. You want a creative, quality player, then you have the right player.

I'm only glad we didn't sign Ozil because OT is a graveyard for 10's and Ozil would be just dirt, nevermind under this manager and regime.

I get your point as a whole, but the bottom part does strike me as odd and I do think you put it in there just as a little dig, seeing how Ozil played some of the best football of his career under Jose.

I get your point as a whole, but the bottom part does strike me as odd and I do think you put it in there just as a little dig, seeing how Ozil played some of the best football of his career under Jose.

Acknowledged, talking about him now in his current regime. Sorry should have been clearer.

Can't get a tune out of anything at the moment from the look of it.

I’m guessing it’s all Mourinho’s fault for you? If he can’t get on board with what the manager wants then good luck as far as I’m concerned.

That's cool.

I'd probably just say don't get spikey at people who disagree with you, as it will likely come up this summer plenty.

And there is plenty of fans who would rather the manager get dumped then lose the clear quality players he can't get ticking at all.

Thought his comments, from reading (Granted I didn't see the game) while standard, total deflection of his responsibility, pretty shocking again at two young players where inconsistency is going to exist unless a) They figure it out themselves as they get older or b) Get coached better.

• Advertisement

I just heard about ozil this morning on radio. Didnt follow or do anything football involved after utd game and hearing the news on fergie.

But i will say one thing, Ozil is "ill" a lot of the time

Friend put this in whatsapp yesterday. Caused somewhat of a stir but there seemed to be general agreement. He and his family are season ticket holders since the 80's so there is that air of some of the boys bowing to him. But we had a good chat about it

Out:
    Mata
    Rashford
    Martial
    Blind
    Darmian

In:
    Bale
    Alderweireld
    Milinkovic Savic

My issue was selling both Martial and Rashford and that it would be a PR nightmare that there would be a seriously stink kicked up by fans. Plus we would go from overloaded on the LW to having no cover.
    His argument is Martial and Rashford arn't good enough, and we can't be hanging around, we need to get serious to not let City build a serious strangehold.

Can see where he is coming from mind you.

Friend put this in whatsapp yesterday. Caused somewhat of a stir but there seemed to be general agreement. He and his family are season ticket holders since the 80's so there is that air of some of the boys bowing to him. But we had a good chat about it

Out:
    Martial
    Mata
    Rashford
    Martial
    Blind
    Darmian

In:
    Bale
    Alderweireld
    Milinkovic Savic

My issue was selling both Martial and Rashford and that it would be a PR nightmare that there would be a seriously stink kicked up by fans. Plus we would go from overloaded on the LW to having no cover.
    His argument is Martial and Rashford arn't good enough, and we can't be hanging around, we need to get serious to not let City build a serious strangehold.

Martial has been so bad for us this season we are selling him twice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It would be extremely naive to sell both Rashford and Martial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's zero chance we sell both Martial AND Rashford, but I'd also think there's zero chance we keep both this summer tbh.

I feel Rashford a decade ago would have been loaned out by now, to get game time as the main man at a smaller PL team.

But I think that with a cynical eye, the home grown academy lad in Rashford will be a bigger priority to keep than Martial for the club (plus, I don't think we'd get as much for Rashford as Martial anyway).

Sanchez and Rashford are grand on the left. Sell Martial and buy a genuine RWer and we will be so much better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rashford won't be sold. I'd be surprised to see Mata go too.

Blind, Darmian certainties to be sold, imo. Martial very likely. I can see at least one of the centre backs being sold as well.

Aren't enough incomings on that list.

At least one full back.
    At least one centre back.
    At least one central midfielder.

An attaching signing depends completely on sales.

But no chance Rashford is sold. If we can't rely on him yet, we will simply start Sanchez on the left instead of him.

Out:
    Martial
    Mata
    Rashford
    Martial
    Blind
    Darmian

In:
    Bale
    Alderweireld
    Milinkovic Savic

Im guessing that was over a few pints?

No chance of us selling both martial and rashford

Also we need a new left back, fosu mensah will be back for rb along with valencia but lb is a priority this summer

Jose didn't say anything controversial after the game. Rashford ran into space and Martial was unmarked on the penalty spot calling for the pass yet Rashford dawdled and allowed 3 defenders to close him down. No amount of coaching will help if a player doesn't look up and play a simple ball.
    With regards to the rest of the team,it was an all too familiar scenario of going through the motions. How many times have we seen Jose looking exasperated on the sidelines as the players don't push up or play constant square balls. Friday night clearly showed the need for dedicated wingers especially on the right, everyone wanted to be a number 10 and made it so easy for Brighton.
    Pogba was criticised for holding the ball too long in deep positions but up ahead of him, everyone seemed to occupy the same 15 square yard area with them all being marked and nobody running the channels or pushing out wide so he had no out ball.
    It ended up looking like a mixture of a LVG and Moyes performance rather than a Jose performance where his team bullies 'smaller' teams.
    If this "ah sure" attitude continues it's hard to see them winning the FA Cup.

Jose didn't say anything controversial after the game. Rashford ran into space and Martial was unmarked on the penalty spot calling for the pass yet Rashford dawdled and allowed 3 defenders to close him down. No amount of coaching will help if a player doesn't look up and play a simple ball.
    With regards to the rest of the team,it was an all too familiar scenario of going through the motions. How many times have we seen Jose looking exasperated on the sidelines as the players don't push up or play constant square balls. Friday night clearly showed the need for dedicated wingers especially on the right, everyone wanted to be a number 10 and made it so easy for Brighton.
    Pogba was criticised for holding the ball too long in deep positions but up ahead of him, everyone seemed to occupy the same 15 square yard area with them all being marked and nobody running the channels or pushing out wide so he had no out ball.
    It ended up looking like a mixture of a LVG and Moyes performance rather than a Jose performance where his team bullies 'smaller' teams.

You say no amount of coaching will help a player if he doesnt look up...but that is exactly what the coach is meant to do. Make the player aware to look up. Look how raheem sterling has been coached for example...

Also you say pogba looked up and everyone is in the same 15 square yard area? Again that is a coaching and tactics issue

You say no amount of coaching will help a player if he doesnt look up...but that is exactly what the coach is meant to do. Make the player aware to look up. Look how raheem sterling has been coached for example...

Also you say pogba looked up and everyone is in the same 15 square yard area? Again that is a coaching and tactics issue

We have talent but as I said but all our attackers seem to want to cut inside and our attack becomes so narrow. We rely too heavily on fullbacks to provide width and see one who dances over the ball before passing it back or smashing it off a defender. Young on the other side keeps cutting back to cross with his right.
    Unless Jose physically runs along the touchline holding the players hands, there's not much else he can do to stop them all running central.
    Look back on any given game and watch Jose,you can see him instructing the players to move faster and give width but they keep doing the same thing regardless of what he says.
    The team still lacks balance with the attack concentrated on the left so hopefully this summer will see that addressed.
    As for Sterling,yes he's improved under Pep but he still has the traits that stop him becoming top drawer,who would you trust in a one on one? Rashford or Sterling?
    Remember that Rashford is still only 19 but coaching alone doesn't account for poor decisions at times.

That's cool.

I'd probably just say don't get spikey at people who disagree with you, as it will likely come up this summer plenty.

And there is plenty of fans who would rather the manager get dumped then lose the clear quality players he can't get ticking at all.

Thought his comments, from reading (Granted I didn't see the game) while standard, total deflection of his responsibility, pretty shocking again at two young players where inconsistency is going to exist unless a) They figure it out themselves as they get older or b) Get coached better.

I’d probably just say don’t guess or imagine a tone from text. I wasn’t getting “spikey”.

If he loses the dressing room it’s all over for him. If he loses a player or 2 it’s all over for them and that’s the way it should be really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think a lot of that could be alleviated by having better full backs taking up higher wide positions and occupying either the opposition full back or forcing their wingers deep. Maybe it's not Jose's style but I remember Maicon was invaluable to him for Inter and look at the difference someone like Walker made to City. You can't tell me that in the positions Sterling has gotten playing from the right beside him for City that Rashford, Martial or Sanchez wouldn't fill their boots.

Another big problem despite not being present on Friday is Sanchez coming deep for the ball. He was signed (I thought anyway) to get on the end of things in the box, not be playing looping balls out wide from the 10 position.

Hopefully with a couple more additions this summer these issues will be somewhat dealt with but for the most part these are not issues that have just sprung up this season so I am still trepidatious about it.

How can Jose be blamed for United being a graveyard for #10's when he can no longer play a #10 as he needs a midfield 3 to be able to play Pogba? His hands are tied in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Daily Mail reporting that Ferguson is awake and talking to his doctors.

Greats news if true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hope we keep Mata wants to honor Fergie by winning FA Cup, loyalty to a manager he didn't even play for, with the Ray Wilkins symbolic connection to both sides there is a lot riding on this FA Cup final, Mata for captain class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Out:
    Mata
    Rashford
    Martial
    Blind
    Darmian

In:
    Bale
    Alderweireld
    Milinkovic Savic
    A new LB
    A new RB

Honestly, first team LB and RB have to be the priority for the summer. Tony V offers so little in attack that he's actively hampering every attack he's involved in. Shaw is as likely to start at LB as I am at this stage, and Young isn't a defender despite having a good game every now and then.

RW is also incredibly weak, and someone like Bale would be perfect for the role assuming he can keep fit. Mahrez is another shout for RW, and someone who has PL experience like Bale but is currently at a much lower stature club than Real Madrid so may be more tempted to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Must say I'm loving United having an official channel on Youtube. They've put up some great pieces already. Park was immense for us, he didn't half love playing against Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Must say I'm loving United having an official channel on Youtube. They've put up some great pieces already. Park was immense for us, he didn't half love playing against Arsenal!

One of my favourite United players of the time. Just a total workhorse that could run for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Have we signed some Savic fella with all the posts i'm seeing about him..
    Can't say i'm too familiar so open to being enlightened about the chap(ette)

ElChe32 wrote: »

3 lung park.. and some said he was only signed to sell shirts. What a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    Have we signed some Savic fella with all the posts i'm seeing about him..
    Can't say i'm too familiar so open to being enlightened about the chap(ette)

Not signed yet, but seemingly we are very interested.

My worry is that he is closer to Pogba in style than we need, going by what some others are saying about.

Aparently he is very very talented - have seen people say he is similar to pogba but arguably better. But 80million for a player similar to what we have already spend (a little more than) that on seems... like more bad planning from United.

Maybe Jose sees a more deep lying passer in him - but seemingly he saw that in Pogba and has failed to get that out of him.

Im guessing that was over a few pints?

No chance of us selling both martial and rashford

Also we need a new left back, fosu mensah will be back for rb along with valencia but lb is a priority this summer

Nah head was clear. He's pretty sick of things though to be fair, and thinks the managers havn't been ruthless enough with players and culling the squad.

And I understand his point, which is basically, there isn't time anymore to just wait for a player to come good. Both from the context of City's immedaite threat but also how competitive the league has become.

My counter arguement was you can't engage in short term squad building as it will be a mess, and that any manager worth his salt can integrate some youth and show patience to some inconsistent players, while having a majority core of the team that is consistent, good and competitive.

He also countered with no good player is going to wait in the wings on the bench anymore at 19,20,21 like before, when they know they can just leave to another big club and play more

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    How can Jose be blamed for United being a graveyard for #10's when he can no longer play a #10 as he needs a midfield 3 to be able to play Pogba? His hands are tied in that regard.

Wasn't blaming Jose, I've held that opinion since Fergie days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement